Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Bone Marrow

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Mystery pic...looks like the unsharpened or non-writing end of colored pencils.

• elimar
    Meece,   Smile  Pup Cakes!  Smile  
  • madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Well, that was quick! It is colored pencils! Congrats elimar! I'll have to make it harder next time. 

joanna Cool 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Congrats Elimar!  After you said that, I thought that was right.

I finally got to see the interview.  Very well done.  Reesie, you look and sound great on tv!  Maybe a new career?  I thought all 4 of you were wonderful and it seemed like the tv people were quite impressed as well.  Great job!

• elimar

I guess I did not explain that even if someone guesses the Mystery Pic quickly, we wait til Sunday to REVEAL the answer.  It's funny to see all the things people think it could be.   I will post another MP next Sat., but since MP came to a quick end, there is somethig else to do this weekend.

VOTE FOR PINKTOBER PINK POODLE PRINCESS!

These are our contestants:

Fifi ...                  Gigi ...

Babette ...          Monique ...

Cecile ...              Freya ...

Voting will be throughout the day today and tomorrow, with the winner getting to appear at the top of the thread on Monday (maybe even Tuesday!)   One vote per person, but you can campaign for your favorite if youdesire.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Well I was gonna say the mystery pic was sliced marachino (sp) cherries. I vote for the REAL dog, sporting pink accessories only-Freya!  After all, we don't want to be viewed as pink, we just want to accesorize, right ?????????????????  VOTE FOR FREYA! 

But I do want some pupcake! 

• hawaiik
    hawaiik Member Posts: 25

Hi,

Im 53 , I was in the greatest shape of my life till last year May when I had to have back surgery. A microdiscetomy. By the time I was fully recovered and ready to start working out  again , I too had a screening Mammo, followed by a diagnosis of BC august this year. Some days I feel like the body I took such good care of is turning against me. My surgery is scheduled for Dec 27th . Kids are grown up , but we still have to work not lucky enough to be retired and thankfully I have a great job with great insurance. My Mom is in her 80's and is ready to make the next step to a senior living complex. I thought I would be the one to take care of all that , but I'm going to have to let go and  turn it over to my youner sis (51).

Hugs to all 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

i think babette and gigi are the same poodle or identical twins,  i like babette!  she looks like my kind of dog.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Since the contest is about the dog pictures - my vote is for FiFi - but my real vote is for those wonderful looking pup cakes at the top of the page - LOL!
  • elimar

Welcome, hawaiik!  You really fit that description at the top.  Why the 5 mo. wait until surgery?  Is it because DCIS isn't invasive, so you were allowed to have some elective scheduling?  We are just having some weekend fun on this thread, but if you have any concerns today or in the days leading up to your surgery just let 'em rip and we will help as best we can.

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Oh FIFI darling!!!! lol...she has my vote! :)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Tink - Great minds think alike - or vote alike - LOL

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

claire, I could swear Johnny's eyes follow me when I move. Weird!

elimar, I'll be voting for Cecile, she looks like a diva and who doesn't love that?

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    Oh what a lovely bevey of beauties!  But my vote goes to Freya.  I'm with you Eph3, asccesorize the pink.  Welcome hawaiik but sorry you have to be here because of BC.  This is a wonderful group and you will find lots of support and fun!  Kitty
  • pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032

I had a needle biopsy last Thursday. Based on two mammograms, one diagnostic, and an US, the surgeon is sure the dx is cancer, probably Stage 1. The Radiologist saw no swelling of lymph nodes and the mass is very small, about the size of a pea. But, there are "fingers" coming out of it, so the probablity of cancer is very high. My husband and I are still in a state of shock and all this does not feel real! But it is. Trying to process what it will be like to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy. I am very spiritual, but any suggestions on how to cope would be greatly appreciated! 

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    yorkiemom, the best suggestion i can give you is to take it all one step at a time.  you don't have the results of the biopsy yet, right?  wait for that before you get too far ahead of yourself.  waiting is the hardest part, by the way!  you've come to a wonderful place here.  the women are helpful and can answer most of your questions.  welcome!
  • elimar
    yorkiemom,  You are in "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" territory now, but it is not uncharted territory...all of us are there or have been there recently.   I would say shock is a very normal feeling.  The waiting is so hard too.  Let us know when you get your Dx.  We will hope for something other than B/C, but will give info. and support if it is.
  • pupmom

Thanks YaYa5! This looks like an awesome place and just what I need right now! I know I am creating dooms day scenarios on a constant basis because I don't know much yet. Just know the surgeon is completely convinced it is invasive cancer. Hopefully results from the biopsy will come in early next week. Unfortunately, the doc and her nurse said that the lab we have to use b/c of insurance is "slow." UGH!

• pupmom

Thanks so much for your support elimar! I will definitely post what the dx is and what the doc says comes next. We meet with her next Friday. 

• elimar

About your Friday appt.  If your Dx is B/C, you might not hear/remember all that is said after that news.  Take husband (or someone) with you, to write down, hear, remember.  Ask for a copy of your biopsy report, it will have essential information.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    yorkiemom, elimar's suggestions are excellent.  you definitely want a copy of the pathology report from your biopsy.  i'm hoping the diagnosis is not BC, but if it is, we'll help you get through the waiting and confusion.  let us know what you learn on friday.
  • Sandlake
    Sandlake Member Posts: 108

Hi~~I am 51 years old and new to all this...I am recovering from a Lumpectomy with a SNB on Monday Oct 10th.  I will see my surgeon on Tues to go over results of path report.  Will this path report be that much different than my needle core biopsy one?  

Cyndi 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

This is not bc related but I now have the bug that sent DH to the emergency room MOnday morning.  I have been vomiting all afternoon.  I sure hope this passes soon.  I was to go to mom and dad's and set up his meds but I did not want him to get sick since he has chemo on Mondy.  So had to talk my mom through setting up Dad's meds today.  I am watching FIVE on lifetime as we speak.  Thanks for those who let me know about it.

• elimar
    Hi, Sandlake!  The pathology report will determine the actual size of the tumor.  Everything prior has been based on imaging.  There have been some sizable discrepancies reported between the two reports.  I mean sometimes a couple cm bigger or smaller.  This, along with the node information, will identify your Stage.  Also, you will get final pathology on Grade (aggressiveness,) which sometimes goes up.  My own went from Grade 1 at biopsy to Grade 2 on final path.  Guess they found some squirrelier looking cells under the microscope.  The other important thing to look for, and your doctor should be talking about it too, is whether he got "clear margins."  If so, you will move on to the next phase of treatment.  If not, it could mean re-excision.  It is not that uncommon.  Surgery-rinse-repeat is a bummer, but not too terrible...better than leaving cancer bits behind, that's for sure.  Let us know what you find out.
  • pupmom

Thanks for the info elimar. I will definitely do that. I am also going to consult with another physician who is a professor with 30 years of experience in the field of breast cancer. She already has my films. Will send her the biopsy report.

• pupmom

YaYa5, I guess I have basically no hope it is not BC, based on the surgeon's statements and the alarm of the staff at breast imaging. Will let you know what goes down on Friday. So happy to have found this supportive place!  :-)

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    My vote goes to...........FIFI :)
  • Sandlake
    Sandlake Member Posts: 108

Thank you elimar! I will be praying for those "clear margins", so I can move on the the next phase of treatment.  I will let you know what I find out, and also update/edit my Diagnosis on this forum.

• elimar

Newbies:

Ya know, if I was a Newbie and I came to this thread, I really don't know what I would think.  B/C women licking the virtual frosting off the pup-cakes (top photo) and voting on a Poodle Princess for Pinktober! (See page 531)  What the heck?

Well, Newbies, in the beginning of our Dx, we could think only of cancer and not much else.  I read so much on this site and Googled my fingers to the bone.  However, the underlying message in THIS thread is that you, like the rest of us, hard as it might be to believe, CAN DO THIS and reach that point where it won't be on your mind every moment.

Make no mistake, we are SERIOUS about supporting all newly diagnosed sisters.  About everything else, it is usually quite the opposite.  Tongue out   That's how we roll.