Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

OMG I am so not right, lol!!!  My kids are so screwed up for sure now once they hear this one.  The sad thing is I have eatn that halloween candy in the past.  I have major issues with candy, lol!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Welcome Seattle!! I wish I could help with the ANLD, I had surgery after chemo, so I was fortunate(?) enough to only go thru one surgery. Sounds like a second opinion is in order.

Paula and Marybe--I am so glad I am not the only one with a dirty mind. But not always sure that is a bad thing. hehehehe How bout a stud muffin for breakfast?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Nexium WARNING!!!! Marybe, I was on Nexium years ago and my liver blood panel hit the roof!! My ALT was out of this world!! My doctor (at that time) would phone me up and accuse me of drinking!! I hadn't had a drop of alcohol in years at that point. He FIRED me because he thought I was lying!! Turns out that Nexium can do this to your liver. PLEASE, PLEASE let your Onc know what I just said!!! Please make him aware of my situation.

As for LE and the drainage technique. Actually, you are supposed to drain towards the centre of your chest and then DOWN so the lymph system from your waist down can pick up the extra fluid. If you just push it to the other side, you'll develop a build-up there!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Another thought on meds like Nexium is you defiantly do not want to take it at the same time at B12 and some other meds.  DH found out that being on prilosec long term cause his B12 to bottom out which in turn caused him to have neuropathy.  So now is on a prescription B12 and has to take his prolosic at the opposite time.  There was also another meds he takes and I can't remember that has absorption problems with prilosec and drugs like that.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368

Thanks for the tip on the drainage/massage technique, barbe. I really do learn so much here, and appreciate it all. :)

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

I am getting ready for Thanksgiving...25 for dinner, 9 people staying here for 4 days. My first big "do" since bc.  Now where did I put that energy...I seem to have misplaced it.

•    Barbe,the onco is the one who gave me the RX for the nexium!! And for sure he knows we don't want to be messing with my liver since the tumors in there are getting very large.....but when they do those tests, they show that the AST and ALT and alkaline phosphatase ( I think those are the ones that have to do with liver) are always within normal range......I honestly do not understand the whole thing....I mean how can things be so bad, yet I feel so good. 

Paula, I myself like that gummy candy, regardless of shape.....also love sweet tarts and smarties which are nothing but pure sugar.....and being a dental hygienist, I know better.  At least I don't eat lemon heads or drink Mt.Dew...those are the worst for teeth. 

Claire, now out of all the attractive men that you all have been posting on here, you have found one who I myself like best of all, Patrick Dempsey......you know when he was young he was rather gawky and nerdy looking, but grew into his nose....Oh no, we are back to the nose!!    

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

SAB, that's a lot to take on this year, I hope you're enlisting and accepting all offers of help. Remember it's all about the gathering, nothing else. Enjoy the day for all it has to offer.

• Paula66

Yes SAB I agree with marlegal.  Accept any and all help.  Its a time for you to enjoy as well!

• marilyn113
    marilyn113 Member Posts: 26

Hi Ladies.  I can't believe the number of new acryonyms I've learned the last few months, but there are still a few I'm unsure of.  It appears that DH and DD are husband and daughter respectively, but what does the D stand for?  Is LE lymphodema?  Is there a good list of the BC acronyms somewhere?

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599

Marilyn, There is a thread called "abbreviations for newbie's" started sometime ago plus the monitors have a list also.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368

The D means "dear", as in "dear husband" and "dear daughter". And yes, LE is lymphedema (took me a while to figure that one as well, seeing that it's one word).

This is the moderator thread with BCO's abbreviations

• marilyn113

I'll checkout the thread.  Thanks.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Marilyn, I usually think "darling" when I use the D, but it can also mean "damn" if we happen to be irritated with the family member in question!  Yell

It's all about the context!!! Laughing

• Paula66

LOL marthah that was my hubby last night the little stinker.  I was so ticked at him by the time supper rolled around I wanted to wrap the eletric skillet cord around his neck.  He was so very lucky I didnt, lol.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I bumped the abbreviation thread this morning so it will be closer to the top of the active topics.

• marilyn113

Marthah, too funny!

Got my HER2 results today...negative.  Woo Hoo!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

marilyn - Congrats on the negative results.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    marilyn, Excellent news.  If your nodes are clear, it will be unlikely that you will have to do the chemo.  There are some rare surprises where a high Oncotype score reveals a higher than expected number regarding recurrence.  You and your doc can decide about that.
  • marthah

Congrats, Marilyn!!! ^5!

Every little bit helps, doesn't it? 

I was one of the rare cases Eli mentioned. But what can I say? I'm special that way! Kiss I had 2 negative nodes and clean margins on my lumpectomy, but my Oncotype score was 31, meaning at 22ish% RR. Probably because my E+ status is like 95%...assuming that's off the charts? It's funny...estrogen used to be BFF! Yell wth...

• Yay Marilyn! Good news indeed.

My E+ status was 95% too and my oncotype was 10 so I don't know how relative that is.

• marthah

Barb, great point. It's not really something I've researched, so I can't say one way or another either.

Hey gang, I finished my rads today. Woot! Next stop, Tamox Train! 

• Congratulations marthah on finishing rads!! Happy dance! Just in time for Thanksgiving. =)

• marthah

Barb,

Considering I got my dx on April Fool's Day, I think there's a certain poetic justice in finishing at Thanksgiving. Innocent

• elimar

marthah,  What I am saying is that high ER+ percentages usually confer LOWER OncoDx scores, but there are always execptions.  Also, a tumor of 3cm is usually suspected to have LVI, or some kind of greater potential of spread, and usually does get chemo, so marilyn113 is different in that respect because of her small tumor.

So, how did your skin do?  Did you get boosts or not?  Need to do some happy dancing now!!!!

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

cogratulations marthah

• marthah

eli,

LVI = lymphatic/vascular invasion? That would explain it in my case as that was present based on the pathology from my lumpectomy. I did not know that high ER status typically meant low Oncotype score. Still learning something new every day! Laughing

My skin held up fabulously, thanks for asking. No open wound or anything. Starting to get a little flaking, and the RN indicated that's a sign of healing already. I had 26 WBR's and 5 boosts. Along with the sim for the boosts, I had the added benefit of a US with each boost -- the clinic uses an image- and optic-guided stereotactic radiation delivery system...really state of the art stuff. And I used Miaderm -- not what the clinic gave me, but after all the reading here and some online research, I opted for it and have been very pleased with the results! 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Congrats on finishing rads, Marthah! It's a great feeling, isn't it? I finished 11 days ago and my skin is about half way back to normal color.

• elimar

Even tho' I did not blister, I still have a very, very light shadow of my rads rectangle, and this is two years later.  I either have the slowest cell turnover rate, or those rays really penetrated to my bottommost layer of skin; or both.  Luckily, I was "baked to a delicate crunch" and not "fried to a crackly crunch."

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Haha! Good analogy. My RO told me it was likely that I will always have a small difference in skin tone where I had the rads. I am not close to only being a small difference yet though, but glad I am pink instead of bright red.