Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

The other analogy is "original recipe" as compared to "extra-crispy!"

Of course that is when your RO dresses in all white and his staff refers to him as "The Colonel."

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Marthah - Congrats on finishing rads - what a great feeling.

I did turn red but my skin is "back to normal".  No signs I had rads and that has been almost a year ago.  Tomorrow would have been my last reg tx and the week after Thanksgiving I did the boosts.  

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Congrats on finishing rads marthah. 

I still have an area of discoloration on my skin from rads. Almost like a permenant light tan. And my rads were 16 1/2 years ago.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Marthah...hooray! Congrats! It's a great feeling to be done, done, done.

• Ceeztheday

Hi everyone. I saw this article and I thought that it might interest some of you...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/health/cancer-by-any-other-name-would-not-be-as-terrifying.html?_r=2

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Hey thanks, gang, for the well-wishes on finishing rads! As I said earlier, either on this thread or another, there's a certain poetic just finishing all the tx's during Thanksgiving week when I got the dx news on April Fool's Day. Oy...

Ceez, very interesting op ed piece. Thanks for posting. I <3 the NYT...always good stuff.

Posting will be sporadic for me over the next few days...2 holiday dinners, friends over for chili, trip to babysit the twin DGS's (age 2 and 1/2) and my DD is having arthroscopic knee surgery on Monday. Whew!

"Normal" feels pretty good.Laughing

• elimar

Ceez,  Looking for opinions?  I gots 'em.  The DCIS label is an oxymoron.  The "C" carcinoma, implies implies it meets the invasive criterion for a cancer.  The "IS" in situ, states that it is not invasive.  It probably should have another name.  I think the reason it's just lumped in with cancer is that, so far, it has received much the same or similar treatment as a very small invasive B/C would get.  I think it should.

DCIS by any other name should still be removed, until there is a foolproof way to know that it will NOT turn into something invasive.  I can only imagine if they left DCIS in my boob and 6 mos. later told me, you have IDC now (or heaven forbid, you have mets now!)   You would be reading a headline about a woman going berserk at a cancer center.  Has DCIS become so predictable that there is no danger attached to it?   We aren't talking about fibroadenoma or a cyst here; and it still carries more danger than ADH or microcalcifications. I would not like to play "wait and see' with DCIS.

Early detection was the whole idea.  If they are lucky enough to spot DCIS before it has the chance to become invasive, isn't that the objective?  Not to let it become something deadly? So, early detection, by design, will involve surgical removal of non-cancer lumps, until the Dx gets so refined that we can separate deadly from non-deadly with imaging or blood work alone.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Marthah congrats on finishing rads.  I finished this past Jan and I still have a square tan.  It has faded but I don't think it is ever going away.

I decided to get another opinion on reconstruction which lead me to a 3rd opinion.  So glad I did it as I have leaned alot.  Have now decided on PS #3 who actually is a partner of PS #1 and totally disagreed with his partner which suprised the heck out of me.  I will not have it done until March because of my work schedule but now feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

I have a question: I notice everyone is talking about oncotype score?? I guess the TN leaves this test out.. from what I read

• Ceeztheday

elimar- I agree and you stated the case very well.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Elimar  LOVE the turkey pic on top.  My kids did a pic like that in grade school.  I kept them until they fell apart one year.  Check out the Google doodle today too.  Very funny when you click on its wing.  You can also click on the feet and head to make changes.  Lots of silly fun.  Have a great Thanksgiving everyone and I'll be back if I survive the mad shoppers on Friday.  I work retail that day 9am-9pm. UFFDA!  Kitty

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    I'm a bit late, but Congrats on finishing rads, Marthah!! I remember that feeling well.
  • Where are my forty something girls??  Come on ladies....post whats going on with you!!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Congrats Marthah!  I bet it feels good to be done with them.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Congrats Martha!

Eli, love the turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American Friends.If you are traveling this week stay safe.

How about a 2fer

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Lory, I found this little blurb about Oncotype and TNs.  I thought it was clever:

"The Oncotype DX test can predict the likelihood of recurrence in early stage invasive breast cancer, but it has one flaw: It works with hormone-positive cancers, not hormone-negative. Once again we're the wallflowers at the breast cancer prom, with the docs dancing with the girls with the popular cancer."

• Lory48....the oncotype test is just for people with ER+. Women who are ER+ are treated with hormonal therapy and the oncotype helps you determine whether or not you would also benefit from chemotherapy. In many cases of early stage cancer, the hormone therapy is of more benefit than the chemo.
  • Lory48
    Meece and Barb, thank you for the input. New to this and trying to gleen all the information I can regarding treatment oprions. I am waiting for the hair to start dropping, but noticed yesterday some of my nails are lifting from their beds... yikes..Surprised  Just 7 days post chemo..??
  • marthah

Lory,

I had that same problem with my nails PFC. Hold onto your hat; it may get worse before it gets better. I stopped wearing dark nail polish to hide the dark marks when they started lifting b/c I didn't want to get remover under the nail. I didn't loose any completely, but one was darn near. I just try to keep them trimmed super-short, and wear gloves when washing dishes, doing yard work, etc. so I don't get dirt under the nail. 

Are those 2 servicemen in your avatar pic?

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Re: ER+ and Oncotype - just for comparison, my ER+ was 88% and my Oncotype score was 8. This was the first I have read about them being linked! Thanks for the info...

• Lory48

Yes Martha.. those are my babies!!  lol I am 6 foot tall and 50 pounds over weight, I feel so tiny next to them!

Yes, my pinky nail on my right hand is half way lifted..yikers!!

• marthah

Lory,

You must be very proud of your sons! That is fabulous. As one mother to another, thank YOU for YOUR sacrifice and service. May God bless them and keep them safe at all times. 

I am nearly 12 weeks PFC, and all 10 of my finger nails, and some of my toenails, have experienced some lifting. Most recent didn't show up until Halloween when I was carving pumpkins. The good news is that the ones which were earliest and worse are showing signs of growth, and I can see clear nail towards the cuticle of those that developed black streaks. My nails have been growing much slower than my hair, it seems, so it just takes some extra nail care and patience. My nails have been particularly dry, too, so I try to keep them moisturized. 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Lory, you must be very proud of your sons! And goodness, you are six feet tall, how tall are your handsome boys? I am only 5'2, we would all look like midgets next to your family. Please tell your sons thank you for their service from me as well.

Off to a local farm soon to pick up some pies for tomorrow. I guess others probably have memories of home made food for thanksgiving. I remember we used to have delmonte fruit cocktail in fancy plates (we used to have to cut the cherries in half so everyone would get one), Mrs. Paul's candied sweet potatoes and Pillsbury crescent rolls and Mrs. Smith pies and that cranberry sauce that comes out of the can with the shape etched into it. They were very special though because that was the only time we had them. We did have home made stuffing and gravy and cookies though. I remember my mother used to get the biggest turkey she could find and we'd name it, usually Tom or Charlie.

• Lory48

Martha and Kay, Thank you.. I will pass on your Thankyou's to both of them..

I am 6 ft and wore 2 inch heels for the wedding (my youngest) My oldest, the Army boy is 6' 6" and the youngest is 6' 3". My DH is retired AF.. his daughter is currently awaiting to hear if she has been selected for AF officer school. We are just a big military family..

• elimar

mumayan,  Are those female turkeys?  The males have big wattles, right?  I don't know much because all the "turkeys" I've seen were "road turkeys" (vultures.)  They look a lot alike, but the vultures are just a little meaner in the face.  Have to wonder about the Darwinian selection for having a "chest beard?"  (Disregard the last statement, if you favor intelligent design of turkeys.)

Making some cranberry bars today.  Husband making pumpin pie tomorrow.  One son making his first pecan pie on Friday.   Other son not baking, but off the hook because he'll spend his time applying to grad schools and complimenting our baking skills.

------------------

In keeping with the decorum of a national holiday, the only shirtless hunk that is allowed to be viewed or given any thought should be the one, the only, Squanto.  I don't want to see Clooney or anybody else.  Go Squanto, or go home.   (It was a tough choice whether to go with a woodcut of the "real" Squanto, or Squanto as portrayed in a cheesy bio-pic, but the falcon swayed my decision.  Happy Thanksgiving's Eve.

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

He's Hot!

• marthah

eli,

I did a search on sexy pilgrim and this came up:

I don't think it quite cuts it...

• elimar

He's not sexy, he not a pilgram, but most of all he's NOT SQUANTO!

Why is he here?  Can you take him away?   Or at least make him smaller?

• elimar

Historical hotness of the Wompanoag tribe:  They were literally hot.  Look at any woodcut, or rendering of the First Thanksgiving.  This is November.  This is before global warming!   What you will see is are pilgrim dudes in five layers of scratchy woolens and the Natives in buckskin breeches, a few non-ostentatious beads or feathers like you would wear to any festive occasion, and a few had blankets on their shoulders (which you knew they would be throwing onto the ground to picnic on shortly.) 

You might see a Native woman loosly wrapped in a blanket, but it wasn't her idea.  The Pilgrims, in fact, suggester their women take off their tops to make the Native guests feel welcome, but no one went for that idea.  So, the Pilgrim women said the Native women would have to cover up, which they did begrudingly.  There were some tensions during the meal over this, but afterward the mood lightened as they all enjoyed the Indian tobacco and played Pictionary.