Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674
    Paula, I am so busted. . .I never smoked but I always like(d) hanging out with the smokers--they were always the cool kids.
  • Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Oncologists are quick to get you on a schedule for follow-up, but standard guidelines suggest that you wait six months after the last rads treatment to have a mammogram. There are lots of changes to the tissue immediately following radiation, and they sort of "stabilize" by about six months out. I had my first follow-up at more like two to three months after completing rads, and it resulted in this creepy letter from the radiologist that sounded totally ominous, but when I called to ask my oncologist about it, it translated to "you just had radiation, which makes your mammogram look weird - don't forget to come back in six months for another one."

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Samsue congrats on your clear mammo

Paula I hate those bumps when you shave and the ingrown hairs so several years ago I broke down and had laser hair removal done.  Was one of the best things I ever did no more ingrown hair or bumps from shaving.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Kleenex-I'm so glad I read your post.  My rads were delayed, so my first mammo will be less than 2 1/2 months after treatment (last week December.)  

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

great news kay! my mammogram was 6 months after surgery but the bs scheduled that one so wait and see!  the mri was negative yee ha   they gave the option of waiting 6months and watching the calcifications  or a stereotactic, going with the stereotactic as everytime i looked up linear it wasn't good!  so the nerves wouldn't let watch and wait, so pocket party next thursday!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Headed to get my CT and bone scans today. I know they don't hurt. I'm just nervous about drinking that awful contrast "milkshake" and, of course, about the scans coming out clean. Anyone available to ride along in my pocket??

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Good luck Wave!  I have you in my thoughts.  Make room for me in the pockets girls, I am jumpn in!!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'm available for pocket duty today. Count me in! Next Thursday is good for me too...

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Wave count me in as well.  I am sure Claire will get the festivities started.

Claire...I did smoke, LOL.  Not anymore but I did for years.  Sneaking in the bathroom or behind a building was just part of the daily routine!  So no surprise to find me there.

Kleenex, thanks for the info.  My Mammo will be one year after diagnosis, and about 8 months after completion of rads.

Get this!  I had that thyroid surgery earlier this month.  I had a follow up with my surgeon two weeks later. One end of the incision was a bit more raised and red so I wanted to ask about that.  The day I went, my surgeon was called out of the office so I saw the PA.  I asked about that part of the incision and he said he had no idea why it was more pronounced and raised, but that it should just absorb into the skin within a few months.

Wrong answer!  I has been real sore and last night I went into the bathroom to look closer.  I pushed it around a bit and then pus just shot out of it, then it bled for a bit.  It was after 5:00 but i called and talked to the answering service.  They took all the info and my surgeon called back.  He asked me to call his office this morning and let them know i will be coming in.  He said he would come in to check it.  He thinks it was just a stitch that got infected but has to make sure.  So off to yet another appointment later this morning.  I am not pleased......

• barbe1958

Yikes Janis!!! Good for you for getting the pus out!! Better out than in....stupid PA...!!!

• juliet62

sure, i'll bring the lattes and some cinnamon rolls ,wave whisperer

• juliet62

janis , will be in your pocket to, thanks barbe see you next thursday!  have you heard anything yet about your neck?

• Paula66

Oh Janis why dont they listen to us, ugh!  I hope they get it cleared up quickly!  Good thing your surgeon is on top of it.  I agree on the stupid PA!

• barbe1958

Hang on! It's someone from the previous page that has an appointment next Thursday, not me....

• juliet62

yes barbe , its me that has an appointment next thursday

• justmejanis

Juliet I will reserve next Thursday for your party! Smile  I love meeting up with everyone at these events.  What can I bake for you?

No kidding on the PA.  I mean...really!  I don't think it is serious at all.  It seems pretty dry this morning so that is good.  Still will go in and have the surgeon take a look.  He may want to prescribe oral antibiotics just to be safe. 

• cmbear

Who's on first?. . . . 

Janis I am in your pocket for sure today and if you would just point out that PA to me, I'll hop out and pop 'em on the back of the head!! Moron!

Wave, I'm here with you too, and I have my fingers and toes crossed that you get an all clear today.  Pass the muffins!

• cmbear

Just so everyone knows those are chocolate and blueberry---I made sure there wasn't a bran muffin in sight!!

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

Wave I am jumping in with you..

Janis, that is horrible!! Stupid PA..BTW where are you getting treatment? I am at MSTI downtown

• justmejanis

Claire, I knew there was a reason I had you promoted.  You are on the ball my friend!  Great job on the muffins.  You did great!  I am sure the visit today will be a quick one as the open wound seems closed.  Thanks for helping out with the PA.  He needs a good whooping.  I'll hold, you can thump!

Lory I had no idea there was someone from Idaho on here.  Hi!!!  I have been out for a bit so now catching up.  I am done with rads, I had them at the Caldwell Cancer Center.  My breast surgeon is in Boise and I had my surgery at the downtown St. Lukes.  Had my thyroid surgery at St. Al's in Nampa.  I liked St Luke's so much better.  Where do you live??? 

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

I Live in Mountain Home..I travel to MSTI downtown for my treatment. I have all my surgeries, MRI's, Mamo's and biopsies at St Lukes. I love the care I get there..

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I'm jumping in wave whisperer! Will be sending out nothing but good vibes for clean scans. And I'll sneak you some cappuccino to mix with your milkshake. Yummy...cappuccino milkshake sounds good.

Juliet, good call, I wouldn't be able to wait and see either. I love a good pp, will be there next Thursday with you.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I missed this whole page! Janis, it sounds like everything is under control. Good for you for keeping an eye on it. I think no one knows our bodies or worries about us like we do. Some PA's and even some doctors take things for granted and just assume there will be all smooth sailing. We really have to look out for ourselves.

I am getting the mammo 3 months after rads, but it is only on the non radiated breast. I don't think I will get any more mammo's on the reconstructed breast. I will have to double check on that.

• Paula66

Claire love the muffins.  Yummy and good job on the no bran muffins.  This is not a time for calorie counting!

If anyone loves tattoos check out an artist named Madame Lazonga out of Seattle.  She has done some amazing work on BMX scars.  I just love them.  

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Wave and Janis pocket party today.  It will be a great party because it is Friday.

Juliet save my reservation for Thursday

Praying everyone gets clean checkups and results

• juliet62
    janis is it ok if i kick the pa in the shins!  hoping the incision looks good today, and the muffins were wonderful claire,good call on making claire pppSmile
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Gotta love this group...It can switch from draining pus to cinnamon rolls without missing a beat. 

My hubby informed me that in order to use up remaining vacation days he has every Friday off this month.  Oh, help me Rhonda!   His work has called three times already.  Maybe I will be lucky to get a little more help with the Xmas cleaning and decorating and shopping. 

Owww!  Who pinched me.  Was I dreaming again?

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Elimar - do you have access to some site called "Wacky Pictures on Demand" or something?

For some perspective on your husband being home every Friday this month: my husband has been WORKING OUT OF THE HOUSE since early September. Can you detect the eye twitch in my typing? It might be better that he's trying to drum up business rather than on vacation and hanging out, but he has commandeered what used to be my office. The new horror is that he's had a guy drop by a couple of times to see paper samples or a review a proof before printing. Shockingly, my house is NOT guest-ready at all times.

Maybe the two of you can bake together or make one of those popcorn/cranberry garland things. That's what we'll be doing here. Riiiiiiiiight... 

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85

Hi Fab Women,

Thank you for your ideas about laying low around the holiday season. I am not too bummed as we all know it is really a mad crush to get all the presents, gifts, etc. I honestly just want to sit on the couch in a comfy bathrobe and be with my family.

I finally made the treatment choice--I had my first lupron injection today and also (Kleenex!) I start on Tamoxifan today.  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Kleenex,  I can't help it if some reindeer are shameless attention seekers.  That one was actually very forlorn and lodging a complaint that the others were not sharing the salt lick.

So, now that Bandtober and Bandvember are over, I hope we will be hearing more from you.  I feel for you.  Husband in the house even more and you lost an office in the deal.  Poor thing!