Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Good Morning all.  There is a new thread call the 2011 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium...It is always interesting to see what is new in the breast cancer world.  If anyone wants to keep up with it you can go to the thread and read up. One of the things I have found interesting is the study of biophosanates on premenopausal women.  They have found it promising and will be presenting it.  My MO put me on this protocol because of the studies he had been reading and thought it promising if I did not object so I said OK.  I have not found many women on the boards that are following this protocol.

Wave so glad you made a decision.  I know for me once I make the decision it is so much easier to move forward.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Ok wasnt going to post this, but know I have to because of all the mule comments.  A dude at work asked me to think about this little ditty.  Just think if the pilgrims shot a donkey instead of a turkey then everyone would get a piece of a$$ for Thanksgiving!  OMG sorry for the curd but I just thought it was funny. 

Wave drink lots of water and use ginger for the tummy aches.  It does help calm it abit.  I did mine on Fridays so I had the weekend to rest up before going back to work.  Good Luck

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

Elimar-thanks for the "shout out"...  :)  I read this thread all the time, I just don't post a lot lately.  

Things here are okay...a sinus cold is trying it's best to get me down right now...ugh, but I'm hanging in there...  Trying to keep the holidays upbeat, but unfortunately, they just aren't that fun for me...I love giving out gifts to my nieces and nephews and my biggest kid (my hubby), but for me, it's just like, "whatever"....

As always, prayers for everyone going through tests, scans and have them coming up...that all comes back clean, clear and normal...

God bless,

Tori 

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Paula66 -  Thanks for the chuckle. Needed it today

• I saw my MO today who agreed that I don't have to start the Arimidex until after Christmas. Praise God! One thing at a time. Thank you for the input yesterday!

She was amazed that I've been getting by just taking Tylenol these last few days but I hate the Percocet....makes me nauseous. I rather have a little more pain though it has been very doable.

Prayers going up for everyone having tests, scans, and such...I must admit I've lost track of everyone this week.

• Paula66

Your welcome barsco1963

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Wave-I did 4 rounds of T/C & worked thru them all.  I had my treatments on Thursdays, work on Friday was fine becuz I was on the steroid high, Sat/Sun were rest in bed days pretty much & Mondays I stayed home (except for the 1st Monday, which was why I stayed home the other 3.  We are still finding my mistakes from that day @ work!)  My tip-eat ice chips through the whole infusion each time--no mouth sores, plus it kept me hydrated!  I also ate yogurt & frozen grapes (course my treatment was in summer, but those 2 things were yummy & easy to get down)  Tip #2-follow the directions EXACTLY on the meds you are given.  Don't wait to see if you are gonna get nausea, etc.  Just take the meds.  My thoughts of chemo prior to having chemo was I was going to be throwing up every where all day for weeks!  Take the meds-worse case scenarios usually are not too much of an issue if you listen to the experts!  Best of luck. (And just because I don't want you to have a crummy Christmas, anyway they would let you start chemo after the first of the year?) 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Trish- here's to a boring uneventful check-up! No news is good news! I'm bringing super charged extra shot lattes, creme brule, peppermint mocha, or salted caramel. Don't care about the calories or the caffeine here at the PP's!!

And its a little chilly out so everyone huddle close!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Claire - Thanks!  It is cold here and we are in deep South Texas.

• cmbear

Jo, I don't want to complain since I'm in Orlando. But i live here for a reason---it's not supposed to get cold. BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRR. I do love pulling out my flannels at night, but thanks to those lovely hot flashes, I end up peeling those off before morning. Last night, I actually kept them on ALL night! Pass the whipped cream!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

SALTED caramel??? What a way to screw up a great taste!!

• cmbear

That's what I thought Barbe till I tried it. Godiva makes a SC chocolate bar--yumm. Very similar to a heath bar--only not as much toffee. The coffee drink is similar! It'll surprise you.

• barbe1958

I don't WANT them to change caramel!!! I guess it becomes more like saltwater taffy then....

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Claire,

Thanks for the super charged lattes - I'm headed out the door now.  Hoping for a borinly normal visit with the PA.

Trish

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe...I make a salted caramel sauce and it is wonderful!  Plenty of the good stuff...real butter and brown sugar and vanilla.  The salt works and just cuts the sweetness a bit.  I made some last night in fact.  I drizzle it over cheesecake.  I made that last night too.  No diet here and I need it but oh well!

• barbe1958
    Janis, you said a lot of good words so I'll forgive you...Wink...butter, brown sugar, vanilla....you could put that on dog shit and it'd taste good!!
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe....see, it is all good.  I am NOT a fan of salt at all.  When I read the recipe online, it had 5 stars so even the skeptics changed their minds after tasting it.  Great stuff.  Come on by; I haven't even cut the cheesecake yet (traditional NY style with a graham cracker/pecan crust).  Coffee is hot, or if you prefer, I can make you a cup of tea.  Cheesecake srizzled with salted caramel sauce for breakfast.  YUM!  :)

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216
    Here's a flavor challenge: A couple of years ago a friend gave me a Christmas basket with a big bar of gourmet dark chocolate with BACON in it because he wanted to try it. So, I broke up the bar and passed it around to all who were there - probably six of us. It was definitely an all or none - you either LOVED it and wanted more, or wanted to spit it out! Personally, I loved it... Tongue out
  • prayrv

All is well for another 6 months!  They don't have all my labs back, but the CBC looks good and we don't expect any surprises on my chem lab and markers.

Thank you for you thoughts and prayers.

Trish

• Awesome news Trish! Yay!!!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    Sorry I have been so absent lately.  Tis the 'retail" season!  Claire, I need to book PP's for next week Monday and Thursday.  On Monday I see my PCP and hope my blood work is good.  Then on Thursday I see the RO for my 3 month checkup.  I don't anticipate any problems but bringing along support is always a comfort.  I also got a Christmas gift early.  My DS and DIL announced that they are expecting another baby in August!  So this will be grandbaby #4. Oh my, Christmas is getting more expensive!  Thank goodness for my retail discount! Tongue out  Kitty
  • cmbear
    Yee-hah!!! Way to go Trish!! There is something to be said for being boring. . . Smile
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Trish great news!

Kitty congrats on the new grandbaby news.  They are always so much fun but do make Christmas more expensive.

Claire I heard on K-Love yesterday that the new Christmas latte's at starbucks are almost 500 calories for a grande.  yikes, have not tried them but they sound delicious, better be for that many calories.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    ok, so i've not been here, bc i'm "just too old" but im coming back, casuse even though im a old fogey; i miss you guys.. i read as far back as i could.. missing you all oldies, and warmly welcome the newbies.. im just so sorry s many keep having to come here, and so glad the rest of you keep coming back here... happy holiday season to you all great ladies.......3jays
  • prayrv

Well ladies, I knew better than to post good news.  My onc's office called and wants me to go see a hematologist due to my low wbc count (2.8)  They did say that everything's ok with my BC, but goodness, I want a break this year (and I don't mean the other foot either)!

Trish

3jays - please stick around - I miss your posts on this thread!

• CWinkler
    CWinkler Member Posts: 3

40 here!  Having a bilateral mx on Jan. 4 . . .

• Paula66

Hi CWinkler and welcome to the club no one wants to join.  Good luck with your BMX and if you have any questions feel free to private message me. 

Trish, Yahoo!!!!

Congrats Kitty!  Im so jealous.  Im ready for a GB but my kids say no way!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    CWinkler, Welcome!  I'm going to suggest the impossible...try not to stress to the point it ruins the holiday season for you.  You know what you have, and you know what you are going to do about it, and the rest is just showing up for the surgery and then letting your body heal.   Any reconstruction planned? 
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

By the way, I am seeing articles every day in my online browser Health Headlines coming out of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.  If you like to read about what your doctors will be touting as the latest and greatest for the next year, check these articles out.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Do any of you ladies who bake make your own vanilla extract?  I tried it once and never stopped, was so surprised at the difference in taste and only needing half the amount!  Bacon + chocolate is something I would like to taste, not sure if I would like it or not, but I felt the same way about chocolate cover potato chips until I tried one, now I have to avoid them!