Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Claire, at least I didn't get a result of "sub-optimal sample" this time!! I know Papillary Carcinoma is very rare in the breast. That's what my breast cancer was and it's also one of the most common thyroid cancers. So...maybe they're doing more staining or something???

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

MP is a horse ear!

Barbe WTH.  Do we all need to go *itch slap some people for you?

Noodle so happy that your tests came out clean!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I think Barbe means Big Horn Sheep for the MP.  I think she is right, but I'll guess reindeer.

LOL, cmbMoney mouth  "Carier Mule"

Barbe,They really are stringing you along.  Can't the surgeon's office just call you if it is good news?  If the PCP does tell you, can you skip going on the 21st?  Do you have an OV fee that you pay in Canada?  Even if there is no further cost, just the time spent to run around to all the appts. can make you crazy at this time of year  

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

MP: Collar around the neck of your doggie or kitty?? Headband around your wig??

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Barbe--find out where the results are, go there and demand a copy, then hand carry it to your doc's office.  They'll give you a lot of grief about how "we can't do that" (actually if a patient asks for a result they HAVE to, can have you sign a release for HIPPA).  "we've never done this before, don't know how to" (YOUR problem, not mine, if I ask for the result you MUST give it to me).  Make enough noise and commotion to be sure that the whole office or department or whatever knows you have already had one appointment without the results AND without an explanation of the delay.  If we pateints don't get noisy and demanding we're going to keep getting pushed back behind the computer and billing processes.  We are far more important than either of those processes. 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

MP is a cow.

• barbe1958

I went to Medical Records once for the results of a bone scan. You'd think I was trying to take the hospital down!! Then they finally said it would be $50 and I turned and walked out. In September of this year, I called Medical Records and they said they didn't have the results from the lab yet so I said put me through to the lab. I got the lab and they said it was the wrong extension and they'd transfer me. I expected to be back at the switchboard, but surprisingly, I WAS talking to the biopsy department!! She said, Oh, it's just come up, I'll send it on to your doc. In both cases, the results were benign. I wonder if they don't have a sense of urgency to pass on bad news and bad news gets transcribed faster?? How's that for logic? Makes sense to me.

I'll have to keep the appt on the 21st either way as he is the surgeon that will take this mass out whether it's benign or not. Years ago I had a HUGE substernal goiter and this could be it, back with a vengeance....though I did see the 1 cm lesion on my thyroid....hmmmm....I dunno!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Barbe, I have thought the same thing about benign results. Do they also have to stain it and wait and see if something develops? If that's the case, once something develops, they know it's cancer and can give the results. But if something doesn't develop, they have to wait however many days are protocol to make sure nothing will develop before saying benign. Makes sense to me. I think no news is good news and am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• barbe1958

Kay, isn't it an infection that they have to "cuture"? I thought cancer was either there or not. But I do think that they have to wait for some reason. Problem is that the radiologist said my doc would have the results in a week! Why would he say that if it took longer? I'd have felt better if he had said 2 weeks. Then I would know. I'm really thinking now that it is B9 and there is no urgency to type up the report!!

• Kay_G

Yeah probably. Not sure. I know the Her2 test has to be stained and takes a while to get a reading, but they probably can tell cancer or not under a microscope. I agree with you, there would be urgency if they found cancer. You sound like you're doing great! I would be thinking the same way.

• barbe1958

I've kind of reached the point where I don't care!! The fear at the beginning when I thought it was just my nodes and then they found the tumour on my thyroid was the worst. But now I don't know if I want to hear the news just yet....

• Kay_G

(((((((hugs)))))))

• nativemainer

Pathology testing takes varying amounts of time depending on exaxtly what is being done.  The preliminary report, where the pathologist looks at the cells and says cancer/not cancer and describes the abnormal cells takes just a few minutes to do and dictate.  10 years ago we'd be going into the OR for a biopsy, the pathologist would look at the biopsy immediately, if it was bc the surgeon did a mastectomy, if B9, you went to recovery.  So that part is immediately available.  Some of the other tests, like ER/PR status, HER2 status, Oncotype take longer as they are sent out to speciality labs in most cases. BUT:  The surgeon can find out what date the results will be available to him the day he/she does the surgery.  The biggest time factor is transcribing the dictation and faxing/e-mailing/snail mailing the printed report to the surgeon.  I had a needle biopsy done on Monday, got the results on Wednesday.  The reports done on the mastectomy pathology exam came in 3 business days. 

One thing that really winds me up is that patients are not told exactly when a report will be availavble to them and how to get it the fastest.  

• barbe1958

The radiologist said ONE WEEK!!! That is what is frustrating me!! I am thinking it's B9 and just not urgent to submit to my doc. Then I think it's cancerous and they're sending it out for receptors status!!! Yikes! It's a large hospital north of Toronto. My DH and I are trying to remember how long my original cancer diagnosis took...I don't blame anyone for the delay, it's just life. My life.

• elimar

I think back to one year when I had to have an excisional biopsy on a breast lump.  That was before the CNB "leather punch" got so popular.  I had the surgery on Dec. 17th.  I stayed awake for the surgery and they sent my lump to the lab. for an interoperative pathology, so I knew right there in the OR that it was B9.

But the reason I bring this up is because I scheduled that surgery so close before Xmas because I wanted to KNOW.  I knew if I did have cancer, my holidays would be wrecked, but I also knew that if I had to have anxiety and apprehension about WHAT the lump was thru' the holidays, they would be ruined anyway.  

I really feel for anyone (Barbe, others) who have to wait a long time to get results now.  It puts a damper on the festive mood we all like to have at this time of year.   To anyone who is having tests before Xmas and not getting the results until after, that is the worst wait of all, the crappiest deal of all.   Anyone who gets their initial Dx right before Xmas, is bound to have a head filled with neverending questions and worry.   I have pity for a person having to go thru' that.

• barbe1958

I had my double mast on December 16th, Was alone on Christmas Day!! Feel sorry for myself NOW, but then it didn't matter. One day was pretty much the same as the other........

Now I'm worried that they are sending the sample out for receptor status!!! Yikes!

• Kay_G

Barbe I really think they would have at least told your doc it was cancer if they were sure of that, and then reported what the receptor status was later when they knew. That is what they did with me at least. I think you are right about them not being in a rush when it. Is not cancer. I know you were commenting on that young woman's thread whose doc went on vacation and couldn't get the results of the biopsy until he got back. I was thinking when I was reading it that it must be benign or someone would surely get in touch with her. I know her results were benign, and I really think yours will be too. Sending good thoughts your way.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

barbe - You shouldn't be in this situation.  The least your doctor could do is to let you know what is going on.  If they did send it out for more testing - tell you - not keep you guessing or on pins and needles.  Sending out a big hug to you.

• informated1
    informated1 Member Posts: 3

Hi I am 54 and i consider this middle age when i was 40 that was not to me i was dx at age 47

• informated1
    informated1 Member Posts: 3

Hi I am 54 and i consider this middle age when i was 40 that was not to me i was dx at age 47

• elimar
    Welcome, informated1!  So, you are seven years out.  What is your B/C background and how are you doing now?  I hope you are not joining us here with a recurrence.
  • noodle6
    noodle6 Member Posts: 32

MP Winner

Barbe1958 you win if you really did mean big horn sheep. If not:  the The winner is Elimar

By the way, Elimar, I love this weeks' pic above. Thank you for the beautiful mules!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Noodle so glad you got clean margins and nodes.

LeAnn praying your blood gets back to normal.

Barb can't believe no results.?????

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

woohoo Barbe!  You are a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Hi to everyone!  I'm just 2 pages behind so not as bad as last time.  Retail work this time of year is so much fun (Yeah right!)  Tomorrow is my day off (yahoo!) but will see my PCP for my 3 month blood work check up.  So hope you can all make the PP at 10:40am.  I'm a little nervous cause it's the first one since BC treatments.  I might need my coffee spiked with some of that home made vanilla extract.  Kitty

• elimar

Yup, the MP honors go to Barbe this week.  She sure knows her "Ovis Canadensis."  Their Latin name has Canada right in the name, so she kind of had an inside track on that one.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

LOL way to go Barbe.

• barbe1958

I'm having trouble posting in Firefox right now, folks, so let's let elimar, who knew what I meant, do the MP. Way to go e!! You got it right twice! Once with the pic and once with my wording!!

Joni, now I'm swinging around to you being right about that. But, they still need to let us know if it's NOT cancer!! I mean REALLY?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me???

• nativemainer

Barbe--call the radiologist who did the biopsy, and keep calling.  Once an hour seems to work well. 

In the states pathology testing is done in order of the specimen arrival, no prioritizing based on results.  Probably the same in Canada.  It may be that pathologists are on vacation so there are fewer working and there's a back log, but the doc who sent the biopsy can call and find out for you.  Again, polite persistance is often helpful and getting info.  

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Good Morning ladies!

I need to book a PP for tomorrow morning at 10:15.  I've been referred to a hemotologist in my onc's office to see why my WBC is so low.  Not sure what they might be looking for.

Thanks.

Trish