Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Praise God that they weren't hurt Eph3_12! What a relief..thank you, dear Lord!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Joni, so bery glad your daughter is OK. Whew.

I must have missed the MP post which considering how fast this thread moves, is not surprising. Besides, I do have CRS disease.

Barbe, we will be in your pocket tomorrow!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Thank God, Joni!!!! God riding shotgun is always a good thing.

Thanks for any thoughts and prayers guys! I'm a little bit nervous on this surgery, more so than my mastectomies. The area is a bit different!! (thyroid and tumour removal)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Joni - Thank God everyone is Okay.  Seatbelts are a good thing.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Eph3  - So scary.... I am so thankful that everyone is ok including the dog. Always good to Have God as a co-pilot..... 

Barbe - will be in your pocket for the surgery.... 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Eph,  OMG, glad there were no injuries!  (And that is one tough dog too.) 

Barbe,  Hope all goes well tomorrow.  I have heard the healing on this surgery is not too bad at all.  Hope you have a fashionable scarf of two that can cover a gauze dressing for a few days.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

You are in good hands, Barbe, trust them!

• elimar

Meece,  Don't hear from you that often.  Hope all's well.  I just posted something on the Middle-Aged Memories for you.  Wish that thread would get more active again.  Any Middies on here want to go down memory lane?  Check out this thread...

Middle-Aged Memories

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/109/topic/743573?page=57#idx_1687

(Cut and paste if link does not work.)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Joni so glad God was riding in the truck with your daughter.  He is always our protector.

BArb will be praying for you and the doctors.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Barbe I hope those pockets are big, 'cause I'm jumping in one of them too. Hugs sweetie.

Eli, I'm going to check out that thread now!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Barbe Good luck tomorrow we are all with you.((hugs))

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Joni- So happy no one was hurt. Very scary.

Barbe- Will be in your pocket tomorrow. Hang in there.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

another one in barbe's pocket.  i'll be thinking about you, barbe. 

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Joni - Whew! So happy everyone is okay!

Barbe - Hope everything is smooth sailing tomorrow! My mother's thyroid surgery was easy... 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe count me in as well.  I have been there.  I hope it goes easily for you.  My recovery was very easy.  I am hoping the same for you!  Sending healing hugs to you.

• elimar

Cool  Hahahahahaha!  Money mouth  

My method of prognostication for the Super Bowl turned out accurate, don't ya think?  

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I had the right side of my thyroid removed 11 years ago. The tumour was HUGE. So big that I ended up in the ICU for 3 days. The healing process was fine, but now I'm 11 years older! Very curious to see how big this tumour is. I do recall walking around with the black stitches exposed. It needed air to dry out so it could heal properly. Grossed out guys. They are wimps!!

See y'all on the other side. I will take any and all prayers and good wishes and you are ALL invited into the OR with me. Make sure there is some good tunes playing...

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

I'll be thinking of you. here is to a smooth and safe surgery.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Eph, thank goodness everyone is okay. I hope psychologically too. I am still nervous in the car from an accident when I was 11. What a day!

Thanks for making room in your pockets Barbe! I am jumping in too and bringing the cappuccinos and croissants! I will make sure everything goes well. I do wonder wHere CMB is. I hope all is well with her. Can't have a pocket party without thinking of her.

• I'm saying a prayer that all goes well for you today Barbe!
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Barbe, prayers for smooth sailing and speedy recovery.

Elimar, either I am getting slower at reading or there are more posts, but it seems I spend more time reading, and run out of time before I can post.

• justmejanis

Barbe....I'll be right there in the OR with you.  I am bringing my homemade blueberry muffins for all the gals in the pocket.  You will be in my thoughts/heart......I will be checking for updates. 

Eph...I am so sorry about the accident but what a relief everyone is okay! 

I have been wondering about Claire too.  I miss seeing her here.  Come out Claire........please.  I hope you are okay Sweetie.  Thinking of you!

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

I need your advice ladies.  To clarify, I AM NOT POLITICAL and I don't care about POLITICS when it comes to breast cancer.  So.....

I posted to the Komen's FB (local chapter) that now that they reversed their decision to fund PP, that maybe they will think about donating more towards research.  A very nice comment I might add.  Well some "lady" posted a snippy/political remark.  I posted back the following "I really don't see the need to be snippy.  I am a breast cancer survivor and I alreay know about breast cancer.  My post was to encourage Komen to donate more that the 24% their books show.  I've already donated to research (literally and physically). Have you?"

Was I out of line?

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

Hi ladies, I have been luking the past week or so. Finished chemo a feww weeks ago, and will be having surgery day after tomorrow. Had my first bone scan last week due to increased back pain. I got the all clear Friday. Surgeon is going to be doing a lumpectomy/partial mx; he said we will know after pathology if a mx will be required. I will also be having more nodes taken, then rads in about 4-6 weeks after surgery. I have gained 25 pounds since starting chemo and have been told by my onco and surgeon to get the weight off. Short of starving myself I really do not know what to do. 1000 cals a day and nothing. I am trying so hard to get moving, but I am soo tired.

No way were you outta line..more money needs to flow into research, how else are they going to make progress with a cure fro this disease.

• Karen3
    Karen3 Member Posts: 37
    Dear all - I seem to fit this category really well. I was 45 years old when I found my original tumour IDC triple negative back in 2009. I have recently had a bilateral mastectomy (8th Dec 2011) following the discovery of DCIS in my left breast - the opposite breast to my first breast cancer. So the last two years have been dominated / blighted by breast cancer. I work long hours teaching Economics in a local school as well as several other responsibilities both at school and with exam boards. I am a single parent and my son has just had his 19th birthday - he started university last September. I look after my ageing mum too who is disabled and suffers from mild dementia. I find juggeling my illness with my busy life and responsibilities difficult to be honest and often feel I have to be 'strong' / look after others regardless of how I may feel. I have chemo induced menopause and the hot flashes are still with me two years on! Thanks for starting the thread Laughing.
  • Lory48

Have any of you ladies had wire guides placed?? I am looking for some input on what to expect

• elimar

prayrv,  You know WE are going to agree that Komen needs to loosen their purse strings for research.  As far as getting a snippy reply, do not waste another good moment even thinking about it.  Sticks and stones.

Lory48,  Lump surgery is not bad at all.  A little soreness for a few days, but you may feel pretty out of it the following day as it takes time for the general anesthesia to work its way out of your body.  I was lying on the couch more for that reason, rather than because of any pain.  The wire guide?  I had that too.  My Breast Center is connected to the hospital, and I got wheeled over (across an elevated, enclosed bridge) to get the wire placed and checked by ultrasound.  It is about as thin as the high "E" guitar string, and they tape it down so it doesn't move around.  Then I went back to hospital for the surgery.  The surgeon follows the wire right down with the scapel.  (That's what they told me, as I was out by that point.)

Welcome, Karen3!  You DO match my opening characteristics well!  We might just make you the U.K. poster girl for Middies with B/C.  So sorry that you had almost back to back (front to front, really) issues with B/C, and with BiMx I hope there will be no more B/C chapters in your life.  I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge to share.

• Lory48

My surgeon said my tumors overlap each other, and he is trying something by joining the points of one quandrant.. because typically this is considered a 2 quadrant surgery, i.e. normally a mx. I am hoping for clear margins, if not then we will have to go back in with mx.

Thanks for the info on guide wires..I had pictured metal.. hopfully I will be good and numb

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

prayrv- No way were you out of line. Research is so important. I wouldn't worry about Madame snippy. There's always somebody like that out there.

Lory- I had two lumpectomies. First one didn't get clear margins. Second one did. At times, I wish my doctor had given me the option of MX, IF I could have avoided radiation treatments. I had 35 treatments and they were pretty hard on me. I am not suggesting anything for you, only that you ask your doc for all the options and consequences. I was never really told options. I was just told what was coming next, and I was too scared and unknowledgeable to know what to ask. Best of luck to you and please continue to post on this site. It is a very good place for inspiration and information. Hugs.

• justmejanis

Lory I had the wire guide as well and it was not painful.  They had to leave it in place for the mammogram and then they taped the end down.  It was more annoying for a few minutes than anything. 

I will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well with surgery.  Where are you having it?  I had mine at St. Lukes in Boise and it was really a good hospital.