Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Have to get to bed a bit earlier tonight as I have an early blood draw tomorrow morning for my 6-month MO appt April 4th.

Wanted to send seabeal special warm hugs & to let you know you are in my thoughts. Please let us know how tomorrow goes, we will be with you; hope you have BIG pockets, hon!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hi guys, im WAY too old to be middle age, but i have to stop by once in awhile to check on you "younger ladies'.. i can't believe it, i'll be 62 next birthday, whic is coming way too soon...

someone had told me elimar was broke down, and wanted to make sure she was back.. she's the "guiding" force to this thread, which i loved to come to.. but, ld age is a biatch,, in many ways..hahaha 3jays... welcome to all the newer ladies..you're in good hands here....3jays

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Seabeal, I am sorry but your comment about being needy actually made me laugh and your surgeon is being an idiot about this, in my humble opinion. No, you are not being needy. You are going through a really scary, rotten thing. I had a psych friend write me a  xanax script right after DX, and I am not a pill person. In the end, I did not use it very much, but just knowing that I could take one at bedtime and not wake up in terror at 3 AM was enough to help me through.

When I talked to my surgeon and onc about it, they both told me that it is completely normal to be totally freaked out the first weeks after dx and that I should do whatever I need to do to get to the other side of it. My surgeon said that if I still had grave problems a month down the line, I should holler so he could get me a psychologist to help.

So, a huge hug to you my friend, and go get yourself some "oooommmmm" pills at first light. 

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Stacie- when I told my MO about my stress level she prescribed YOGA- Like that was going to make me all better...I don't think it can be achieved if you can't stop shaking. I really think they forget we are human beings. I don't always take the pills that I did get because sometimes Nurse Bacardi does the trick just to take the edge off.

We are all hugging you tight so you won't be able to shake.Kiss

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971

Seal, I am praying for you . My do on doctor also would not give me anything .. only on day of my procedure . anyway I am with you . I wish I could grab on and give ya a big hug .. Thinking good thoughts for ur day :)

• Dianarose

Elimar- I am computer dumb. How do I take a photo from facebook and get it here. Humor me please.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Dianarose, that is the easiest way to get a photo here! Even I can do it.

Go to the FB pic and right click on it. You will have the option to "copy", so copy it. Then come here to a blank post box (what I'm typing in now) and click on the green "tree" icon just to the left of the yellow smiley face on the icon bar. Click into the "image url" box, then right click and "paste". Your pic should show up in the box!! Good luck.

Everyone kept saying "tree" icon to me, but it just looks like a green box to me...

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Anxiety... Hardly anyone will remember this post from early, early in this thread, but it is in my top ten posts (and I can't remember the other nine.)   A woman was having anxiety right after Dx (as you do) and she went to her pastor who counseled her to find a calming activity, like A LABYRINTH! 

But of course!   Who needs Xanax when what you really need is to roam a while in your neighborhood labyrinth.  I can't remember where that poster was from, but how many of us even have a labyrinth at our disposal?  Maybe a corn maze in October, but labyrinth...now that is just a literal classic!  Who wouldn't want to spend hours just wandering those perplexing twists and turns?  Watch out for the pesky Minotaur!

• Momine

• Dianarose

Barbe- Ok, that worked, but how do I make it smaller. When I previewed it, it was huge.

• elimar
    Momine, You cannot imagine how many times a scared Newbie has posted on this thread and I had to STOP MYSELF from replying, "Get thee to a labyrinth."  It is just so tempting.
  • Momine

Elimar, I can see why, but without the back story, it would certainly seem like really strange advice, LMAO.

Perhaps the pastor meant those labyrinths you trace through with a pencil? Still really lame advice, but a tad less downright cwazeeee. 

• barbe1958

Dianarose, just submit and see what you get. If it looks HUGE in preview, don't preview!

• Dianarose

Ok Barbe, I will try. I just wanted to post a picture of my son with my brothers little ones because they all had the most beautiful smiles when they were playing on Saturday. I think my son will hit 6 feet before he turns 13.

• Dianarose
  • Dianarose

Oh no Barbe, it's huge. Is there a way to make it smaller??? if not I will delete it

• elimar
    Dianarose,  Go into Edit on your post, right click on the pic and it will give you borders that you can drag to a smaller size.
  • Dianarose

Elimar- I did that and hit save, but it is the same size, ugh!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Diananrose--right click on the picture and look at the size numbers.  You can change those numbers.  I've found that 800 is about the biggest to go for fitting in her.  BTW, the pic looks fine, size wise, to me!  And the kids are the cutest!

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

We went to a resort spa in No. Georgia about a year ago. Behind the spa was a series of concentric circles - not a labyrinth - that you were supposed to go around and around and clear your mind. They were pretty small circles so I'm sure all I would get would be dizzy.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Odie I'll be in your pocket for the party.

Seabeal-go to one of your other doctors.  Sometimes they can be so insensitive

Eli- I live in a very small rural town and you will not believe but one of our churches has a Labryrinth.  It is not done with hedges but with bricks that are patterned so it looks like a really nice patio with a beautiful fountain at the end of it.  I can't image a pastor telling someone to do this to try to calm them with a cancer diagnosis but I guess his thinking must have been that the whole idea is to pray your way through the Labryrinth. 

Dianarose what a wonderful picture.

• barbe1958

Dianarose, the size you have now is perfect!!! You are right on the smiles, what gorgeous faces. I hate it when people post `pin-head` pics where you can`t even tell what`s in the pic.

• Dianarose

My internet has been down most of the day. I am lost without it. I tried to down size the picture but it said I have some pop up blocker on and I checked and it was off. I give up. I am just going to leave it. My son is my strenth to do what ever needs to be done to keep going. I went shopping and bought myself some cute tops. Spent way too much on them, but I feel good anyways.

Odie- count me in for the pocket party. I hope someone brings something for this dam headache. I get my final path report tomorrow at 2 so I am stressing myself out. It was 78 degrees here today. The normal temp for this time of yr here is 45. It is very strange. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 80's.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

This is the labyrinth at MD Anderson here in Orlando. I have never seen one soul walking around it. I'm sure it works for some people, but I am afraid I would get lost.

Seabeal, I would definitely speak to a different doctor. And don't be wonder woman--if you need some time off to deal with this, I would think a medical facility would be the first to "get" that. You have to take care of yourself first.

Dianarose--the kids are ADORABLE!! My youngest is 15 and is 6-2 so I feel your pain. I hugged him today and my head nestles on his chest below his shoulder.  it's always comforting when your baby pats you on the head!!

POCKET PARTIES tomorrow!!!!!!Who is up for it?? Did anyone watch DWTS last night? I have a new cabana boy for us

William Levy. ooh-la-lah!!!! 

• barbe1958

Count me in for the pocket parties!! I know how well they work on the receiving end.

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971

Love your pic Dianarose ... beautiful

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Claire - Count me in for the pocket parties.  I did watch DWTS last night.  What a way to start a season.  All round good scores for the first night.  It may turn out to be a very interesting season.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I watched DWTS as well, but I usually watch the first and then the last couple of ones. Usuall skip the end between

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Make room for me in those pockets!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Oh cabana boy!!!!! We would love some margaritas over here. Or maybe some pina coladas. Bring a tray full--i think its going to get crowded in here!!!