Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216
    Thinking of Dianarose and Janis... {{{{hugs to both}}}}
  • reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Good luck Janis. Dianarose hope you get a good treatment plan in place soon. You'll feel better when you can get started kicking cancer butt.

Well ladies on my way to Rochester to a St. Patty's Day wedding. Gonna be lots of fun being the only sober one tonight at the bachelor/bachelorette party and tomorrow at the bar after the wedding. Can't wait to watche the drunk antics.

• SUNICMIC
    SUNICMIC Member Posts: 1

I love your checklist.   This forum is for me!

I'm counting down to to March 29th double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction after diagosis of recurrance two weeks ago.

My drs at Boston's Mass General Hospital make me feel that I'm going to be just fine.   I'm getting anxious though.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Dianarose so sorry about your nodes.  Like Reese said once you get a plan in place you will feel better.

Sunicmic welcome to the middies thread.  I am having a BMX on March 26th with TE's  So sorry for your recurrance.  I am hopeing this will prevent me from having one as I have already had one scare since DX and had to have another lumpectomy.  That was enough for me.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
  • cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Busy, busy week!! So sorry for you Dianarose. ((hugs)) Once you get your tx plan in place, you will feel a little bit more in control. Thinking of you. 

janis--good luck today 

bringing the St Pat's  dark chocolate cupcakes for the PP. Hope the MRI brings you answers. Meanwhile, do something fun this weekend--something to de-stress--you deserve it!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Claire - The cupcakes look so yummy - I am so hungry right now - it's close to lunch time.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

(((dianarose))).  Its just like the gals said.  Once you can get a game plan going thats when you will get a better understanding of it all.  Whatever you need just know that this is the place to come.  The gals around here are more then happy to help in anyway they can.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Miss me?  (I know Sherryc did.)

I had a week of technical difficulties stemming from a modem/router issue, then waiting for a new one to arrive and get installed.  Still problems; because only one of our computers can go online at a time.  Combine that with spring-break week coming up and it is not likely I will get much computer time as my sons will hog most of the access.  At least I can forwarn you all about this.  When the router went, I was cut off...and thanks to Marybe for letting the Middies know.  

I have read and caught up now...

Dianarose,  Bummer that you had a bit of spread into a node.  Usually the sentinel nodes are in the breast, near to but not quite in the armpit, but I don't think it is that unusual that they were found in your breast tissue near your surgery site also.  There is the usual variation among people, but don't rule out the possibility that you are a mutant. ;-)  You haven't filled out your Dx info. and pathology yet, so I'm not sure if Oncotype testing applies to your or not.  It is for tumors <2cm, ER+, and either no nodes involved or just a few are (like less than four.)   Let us know the surgical path. when you get it.  I can totally relate to how you woke up from surgery and knew your nodes weren't clear because you didn't have the mammosite in.  WAAH!  I would have cried too.  (Love how you think it looks like "The Predator!"  Hahaha!)

lisamarie,  Too bad your surgery got pushed back.  You will have more time to work on your tattoo disign.  About half the ladies here have some ink.  I think it must be the same ones who finished off that Baccardi.

jo,  I like Malibu and Coke OR Malibu and milk.  I can go either way.

janis,  My brain is thinking about your brain.

Eph,  Believe me, if I ever did have a chance to run off with a Hollywood hottie, you would be the first to know.  Then the rest of the world.  

YaYa, Sister girl, those are some rockin' red glasses.  Luv 'em.

seasiren and SUNICMIC,  welcome to both of you!  Never liked the reason we meet new Middies all the time, but pleased to meet ya' anyway.

Alright, enough about you, let's talk about ME.  Without internet for a week, I was much more productive around the house.  Also, happy that it was warm enough to ride my bike almost every day.  I did some planting too.  One thing was just separating overgrown patches of bulbs of dwarf hyacynths to make a whole border of them.  The other thing was trying some lily of the valley on the shady side of the house.  I have hopes for them, but the soil was rocky and terrible.

ALSO:  You might remember I wanted to have my "high" tryglycerides re-tested after doing the proper 12 hr. fast.  I got down to 144 (<150 is good.)  I still think that the Tamox. (or plain ol' menopause) elevated it over the past couple years because a few years ago I had tests like 111 and 120.  I feel much better about continuing on the Tamox. now that I am actually in normal range. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Yahoo I got my confirm for my 3 day work event and I'm so pumped.  I don't have to dress like a girl, whew!!!!  Now I won't stick out like a sore thumb being the only chic there.  I thought we were gonna be stuck in a classroom for 3 days, thanks goodness its not gonna be that way.  Will be spending it mostly in the weld shop.  I can wait to get the hands dirty again and get back into the trenchs so to speak.  I did have to do some pre-courses to qualify for the event and let me tell you my head has been spining.  Trying hard as heck to remember all this and wow o wow.  Good thing a good portion of the courses had to do with welding and not much on procedures.  When your not use to dealing with that part and having to learn it on Tammo brain, yikes is all I gotta say.

Have a great night all!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

elimar, I had some lily of the valley come through my asphalt driveway once!!! They are tough little buggers...

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    Elimar .. SOOO HAPPY U ARE BACK Laughing Love the tulips too .. Oh and I just rented a nice 2 bedroom apartment .. not on the beach but close enough ..excited that I will be moving April 1st and .. its a nice sunny place to come home to after surgery , rather than a gloomy basement that I am in at current ... wahooooo .... sooooo Excited 
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Welcome back Elimar - Sure missed you.  I had labs drawn earlier this week and went for results today.  I was surprised that my "high" triglycerides or HDL was 71 and the LDL was 135 with the overall of 205.  Now that last number is on the high side. Can't for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong.  I am taking a statin plus 4 fish oil tablets a day - 2 in the am/2 in the pm.  I do blame some of this on the Tamoxifen.  Retest in 3 months.  Just doing the best I can at this point.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

elimar, so glad you're back!  you've been missed, girl!

jo, i wish my numbers were as good as yours.  thankfully, i haven't had my cholesterol checked since before dx so i have no idea what the numbers are.  yours are pretty darned good, though! 

• elimar

jo1965,  I have to clarify.  I said "high" triglycerides because without fasting, mine were high at 235.  Then with fasting they were in normal range at 144.

BUT (big butt)  when I say triglycerides, I don't mean high density lipoproteins (HDL.)  That and LDL are something separate (and testing for those can be done without the fasting.)   On my HDL and LDL, the numbers hardly changed from the first test to the second (fasting) one.  Usually the Lipid Panel will test for all four things.  Didn't you get a separate number for triglycerides?  Mine was something like:

Total Cholesterol:  194

HDL  65

LDL  100

Triglycerides  144

I had always heard that Tamox. could have a good, if any, effect on cholesterol.  But just in the past few weeks was I reading online that Tamox. can raise the triglycerides for some people.   I just found out online that a fast was needed for accuracy for the triglycerides, so I brought it up here since a lot of us take Tamox. and may not be monitoring our triglycerides, or maybe not getting accurate numbers if we haven't fasted for 12 hrs. before the blood draw. 

The possibility of elevated triglyceride levels was never mentioned to me when getting the Tamox. Rx, but what else is new?

• elimar
    barbe,  Maybe my lily of the valley has a chance then.  I have been known to plant only the hardiest stuff.  One of my favorite perenniels is the iris, known to withstand repeated territory marking by free-ranging neighborhood dingos.  (I have those at my curbside mailbox.)
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Elimar, my muscari, aka grape or dwarf hyacinth, have been blooming for weeks.  I need to separate mine to fillin gaps in the border leading to my door.  They are hardy little plants as well.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Welcome back E !!

Last December my numbers were:

Cholesterol Total: 184

HDL = 90

LDL = 79

Triglycerides = 75

Yes, I had a 12-hr fast before blood draw.

I didn't have much change from the previous check in 2005.

Chol = 158  /  HDL = 90  /  LDL = 67  / Don't have Tri #

I don't take a Statin, but DH does.

(((( Janis ))))  (((( Dianarose ))))

Welcome to the new sisters!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Dianarose, I'm so sorry that you had node involment and did not get to do the mammosite. Frown The good thing is that only one node was involved.  I was told here that they are begining to look at a study now on doing mammosite for women with only one node invovment.  Maybe you can get into that study.  Oncotype DX score is to tell you if chemo will be of benifit to you or not.  It gives you a choice.  Hope for a very low score.  Either way I'm pulling for you dear.  Janis, geezz seems like you tackle one thing and another pops up to keep you on your toes.  Here's hoping you get a break from all this crap soon!  Just let it out you girls, I'm listening.  Lots and lots of (((Hugs)))!  Kitty

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

well my cholestrol numbers all headed in the wrong direction since taking tamox even though lost weight and exercise!  so now on zocor too

• seabeal
    seabeal Member Posts: 108

I decided that once I complete treatment I wanted to get a tatto as well. I'm 62 but have wanted one for ever but didn't have the nerve. Figuer if I can do this a tat will be nothing. In the meantime searching for the right one, or as my daughter say "the one that speaks to me!"

• Meece

Love the tulips in the header, Eli~

• elimar

Valjean,   You have the lipid profile of a model citizen.  I think my Cheetos are showing a little with my LDL number.

Meece,   The tulips at the top of the page will last almost as long as real life. Love 'em, but my gripe is that the flower seems to go in less than a week.  (Oh, you just gave me a memory, but now you will have to go to the memories thread to see it.)

• elimar

Forgot to say...

...and for those who hate a whole month of Pinktober, it's only one day of everything green.  You can find some of the stupidest things "gone green" today.  If you see some funny ones, post them.  I know nothing says "St. Patrick's Day" like GREEN SUSHI!

• B19
    B19 Member Posts: 1

Hi, everyone. I've just watched this video and I wanted to share my opening-eyes experience with you all. Love. B.

You can watch the video here http://youtu.be/Sjs5TC_z0NM&nbsp;

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

B19, I took a chance and watched your video. Considering that the women weren't English, would the word CANCER be the same in any language? I have to warn you, the way you present the video is very suspicious to someone who is trying to sell us something. Maybe you could word your post differently.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

i watched the video, too, and i'm still wondering ... huh?

• Meece

I am too suspicious to try it.  the address isn't a Youtube address.  With the dot between tu and be I was too skeptical to try it.

• Meece

Oh, Eph!  I loved your video.  As a former owner of a Border Collie, I knew just what they were trying to do...until he brought them over the hill.  I was laughing so much my laptop was jiggling!