Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Momine- I had intended to take just the ovaries, but they also said the uterus looked enlarged, so they can have that too.

I bought a bra at a store called A Special Place, that sells bra's bathing suits, etc... for women with breast cancer. It has a much bigger cup than I am right now but it has a place to insert padding and decrease it as you expand. I look like I have a great set of boobs right now. It is really comfortable too. I didn't even know that my insurance pays for more than half and up to 6 bra's a yr until the clerk told me and had me fill out some paperwork. The bra was 53.00 and the insurance paid 28.00 of it. I just have to get a prescription from the doc and she said it will pay for them the rest of my life as long as I have the insurance.

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Dianarose - whew, you have had a lot dumped on you all at once, but we're here for you. 

Once I got the Mammosite tubing out, healed up, and the swelling/soreness had pretty much gone away, I went to Victoria's Secret. I wanted something pretty! Still can't/won't wear underwire as it pokes too much on the bad side, but they have a really great wireless that supports well and fits nicely. No pushup either, as that made the poor bad side feel completely squashed.  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose,  With all that happening, I will just hope that the chemo (and rads & hormonals too) tracks down any beastly bits that might remain and wipes them out.  I think what is hard, at this point, is looking ahead down that long road of treatment, but just start walking.  Momine is so right, "you ain't dead yet," so focus on the other, happier things in your life that will be coming up in the next months too...birthdays, graduations, lunch with a girlfriend, weekend plans, any occasion where you can retell the story of your BF passing out during the drain removal.  Haha, the bigger they are, the bigger lump on the floor when they fall.  Yes!  Do give yourself some treats along the way.  You will deserve them and anything that keeps your spirits up will make the time pass quicker. 

Momine,  Your uncle sounds very insightful.  Wink

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Elimar, he has his moments, lol, and good point about how Diana should seek out occasions for telling the fainting story.

• sissyvonvon
    sissyvonvon Member Posts: 22

Dianarose, I know your anxiety as well as all the other ladies here on this forum. I, too, had 8 rounds of chem, the radiation, and am now taking Arimidex as I am post-menopausal.  They never mentioned taking my ovaries out, I am going to ask my dr. about that when I see him again.  My scans were good for my uterus and ovaries though.  One thing I will tell you to expect from the chemo is:  You will taste it, smell it, and it is what I call "whanky".  It just tastes whanky for a few days, also, you will feel fatigued at times, but just rest and it gets better, the steriods they give you will make you hungry!!  So eat.  And also, ....you may experience constipation, BUT once you eliminate good, you feel sooo much better.  This is just the way it is.  I went and got my hair cut short and it never completely fell out, but got very thin.  I got two baseball caps, put different little pins on there for pretty and wore that to work and everywhere I went.  Now, one more thing, for nfranklin too, if you go grocery shopping, be sure and wear gloves because of the germs on the buggies etc.  My dr. said wash your hands, wash your hands, that is a good defense from catching something.  Just a few little tips to help out.  Hang in there, it really goes by fast.

• sissyvonvon
    sissyvonvon Member Posts: 22

Oh, and one more thing, drink LOTS of water.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

He everyone,

I just got off the phone with JO.  She sounded really good. Tired and sore , but she will do

well.  She gets to go home tomorrow as long as she continiues to improve.  Despite going

through major surgery  she sounded great.  Hurray to our Jo!   Please feel much better!!

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971

Yeah thanks so much Justmejanis  .. I am so happy to hear my Jo is doing well .. Hugs to u and to her xoxox

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Diana rose yeah for getting your drains outs.  But I am so sorry to hear your news about the lymphnodes.  I don't know what chemo is like as I choose not to do it but from what everyone says it is doable just take one day at a time.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262

Elimar! doi doi doi double doi..........................U ARE MISSING SOME FOLKS ON YOUR THREADS

LAST TIME I SAW YOU POST WAS THAT BARBE 1958 WAS BANNED FOR DIPPING HER PONYTAILS IN AN INK WELL VS BEING ABUSING AND, BASICALLY, NASTY.

YOU WONDER WHERE SHE IS............GAWD YOU MUST BE KIDDING

FONDLY SUE

• Dianarose

I am so glad Jo is doing well. She has waited a long time for this. She must feel like a new woman.

• madpeacock

Good news on Jo! Hope she gets to go home today and can rest and recover. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Glad to hear JO is doing well.  It is amazing what recon can do for your outlook.

• lisamarie68

I forgot to say my DD turned 25 April 16th .. wow that makes me feel a lil old lol .. anyway today we will have lunch togetrher for her b day , I cannot wait to see her and my granddaughter .. have a great day everyone :)

• justmejanis

I am on my way to the GYN.  Shaking so hard I can barely type.  How silly is that?  I should know if they are going to do surgery.  I just want this over with!

Jo should be coming home today and I bet she will be posting soon.  She is one strong lady!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685

Happy for Jo. keep healing

lisamarie68 congrats on you dd's bday

justmejanis..good luck today at the gyn

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

janis,  I'm there holding your hand.  Thanks for filling us in about jo.

jo......

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Glad to hear Jo is doing well. Sending healing vibes her way!

• justmejanis

Thanks to all who were in my pocket today!  I felt the love.  Okay, cane we have another pocket party on Monday.  This Monday, the 23rd.  I am having surgery.  Apparently there are several things that need surgical repair.  I will be in the hospital overnight, possibly two nights.  I am hoping just the one.  I have to admit I am really nervous now.  My new gynecologist is wonderful!  So warm and caring.  He told the nurse to make sure I have his cell phone number.  He said anytime in the coming days, even the weekend, to call him personally if I need to talk.  I feel so good in his hands.  I know I need this surgery, but sure not looking forward to it!

• Sherryc

janis--hate that you are having surgery but wow that your gyno gave you his cell number.  Not alot of Dr's do that. We will definalty have a pocket party.

I go Monday the 23rd to the PS and if all goes well should get my first fills.  A little nervous as I have just quit hurting from surgery.

• Sherryc

Well not so good news for Jo.  She has been draining alot of blood and the doctor thinks she has a hemetoma so she is headed back to surgery in two hours.  If I hear anything else this evening I'll let you guys know.  Keep her in prayer.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Praying for Jo!!

Janis...I'm sorry you have to have surgery but at least it will be over with soon! I'm amazed they were able to schedule it that soon. I'll be in your pocket and praying!

• Dianarose

Poor Jo. I feel so bad for her. She was so excited to do this. I hope it all works out for her.

Janis- sorry you have to have surgery. I am up to a pocket party now.

• madpeacock

Oh no - hang in there JO!!

Janis - so sorry you have to have surgery, but your doctor sounds like a keeper! Pocket party! 

• lisamarie68

No Jo, I am praying she is going to be okay . big hugs for her..I am hoping things get better .. Love u 

Janis I will be with u but may have to leave for a bit , as I have nuclear medicine on the 23rd ..but Hugs to u ...

Sherry good luck at ps and with ur fill . Hugs to you too 

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Thinking of Jo - praying for all goes well for her.

Janis - sorry there is more surgery for you. Will try to make it to the PP. I will be accompanying another friend to her knee surgery that day. Best wishes.

Sherry - hope the fill goes well for you

• nfranklin
    nfranklin Member Posts: 51

Praying for Jo.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

I'm praying for JO.....I think it's too late to jump in the pocket.

• justmejanis

I am so upset to hear about Jo.  Sherry please update if you hear anything!  This really saddens me.  She is one strong woman and hoping she gets through this easily.  Thank you for letting us know. 

• Sherryc

I spoke to Jo and she is out of surgery and doing well.  She did have a hematoma and had to get 2 pints of blood before surgery.  I hope this took care of it.  Will keep you posted when I know more.