Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Has anyone heard form our friend Jo lately. I haven't seen her post or I missed it with this weird looking thread.

• Butterflylady2012
    Butterflylady2012 Member Posts: 14

Cmbear...your comment made me laugh, yes, this thread is groovy looking! :)

Elimar, my next surgery I'm thinkng will be in September.  I start radition shortly and after five weeks of that, we will schedule surgery.  All depends on when they can get me in.  It's purely preventative at this point for the left side, but I pray nothing shows up.  I have ILC, so initially MRI only showed tumor in right, but pathology after surgery showed more in right.  That first month and then surgery was a roller coast of emotions...up...down...up...down...my head was spinning.  Now it's leveled off a bit, but wondering what the next thing will be.  Can't worry about that too much, or I'll go psycho! Psycho Sharon...okay that's a scary thought!  

I love having a thread for us middle ladies...we are a special group! :) 

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
    The Cheetos caused this?  Maybe I should have more.Smile
  • barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Welcome Butterfly2012 - You have caught us in a bit of a mess. Normally us middies are much more organized and on top of things. Seems that a cheeto craze has us acting a bit cheezie - lol. I am sure the mods will have us straightened out in no time.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

This could be a potatoe chip revolt.  Perhaps the pototo chip backers have worked their way into the inner workings of this thread.  Their first goal was to confuse us, then they will replace all mention of Cheetos with pictures of people and their potato chips.  That's my conspiracy theory.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

In the famous words of someone who recently passed, "Why can't we just get along?" Lay down your arms potato chips, give us our thread back!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

NEWBIES & MIDDIES:Technical difficulties took away my OP, but don't let that stop you from joining in. 

Meece,  Truth to tell:  I went out to get a few more things for the holiday and came back with Lay's Classic, not Cheetos.  OMG, The potato chip conspiracy is working!!!!  Yell

• elimar

Good Luck today, Dianarose, with chemo #2!

I just spent the last 10 minutes going back to try and find out who it was that has a birthdaytoday   Well, it would be hard enough without the crazy format glitch, and it is just too tedious with it SO I know it's someone's birthday (you know who you are, and you'll have to remind me) but I sure won't miss out on having some cake for you.

I was going to call it a Colorado wildfire cake, but that's not funny IRL, is it?  Better get out the fire extinguisher today, just in case

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    LOL There is a great sense of humor on this thread today.Laughing
  • Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154

OMG, too funny reading the post that you think is from someone and finding it's from the poster above.  LMBO this certainly is one of glitches the Mods have been talking about.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154

Very entertaining.

• elimar

Looks like it is fixed.  That didn't take too long.  Thanks Mods!

• lostinmo

I'm confused..who won the battle the cheetos or the chips?

• elimar

Are you KIDDING!  Check the little icon (now restored) at the top of the page.  It's like the eternal flame, still burning.

• Butterflylady2012

I have to say this Cheetoh's vs. Chips war is a kick, a fun distraction from all the craziness.  Thanks Ladies!  I love Cheetoh's but they always make my lips orange! Cool

• lostinmo

I can see it now...glad because I didn't want to throw my cheetos out!

• cmbear

CHEETOS,CHEETOS, CHEETOS!! THE STRONGEST HAS PREVAILED!

• elimar

I love Cheetoh's but they always make my lips orange!  ~~Butterflylady2012

Once you have been around for a while, I'm sure you'll change your tune, and then we will formally induct you.  

You'll raise your right hand and repeat:  "I love Cheetos because they make my lips orange."  Followed by the not-so-secret orange handshake.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Thanks E. It's my birthday today :) - Eph is tomorrow.

For my present today I went to my MO and got shots and a script for another transfusion. YAY me :)

I've kinda been lurking for a couple of weeks, but I have been reading (even yesterday when I thought I should get checked for brain mets lol).

One more year to my first long term goal - the big 50!

• elimar

Reesie, Happy Birthday to You!!!  It would have bugged me all day if no one came forward.  I still think you might want to have your brain checked because it's not working right...You were doing the WRONG kind of shots on your birthday!  Now snap out of it and get the party started.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Very behind again, so answering in drips and drabs!

About food/drink issues...I'm with the camp that believes we should enjoy ourselves, within reason, when it comes to food and drink. My "within reason" might not be yours, but it's what I've found works for me. My weight doesn't fluctuate, even if over by a bit. I've been over the same amount for about 15 yrs now. Drink? I enjoy it - most of you know that!!! My weekends are sacred to me, and that includes a few drinks each night. If I shave a year or two because of that, so be it...I'm enjoying myself. I'm ER/PR+ and stay on top of latest research. So conflicting, but current bulk of research suggests that, like everything else, take things in moderation. I'm not going to eat a pound of flax a day, or sprinkle sesame on everything I eat. But I will enjoy General Tso's Tofu a few times a year.

Dianerose - the wig - did your doctor write you a prescription for the wig? My insurance paid (at my 70% level) once I gave them a prescription for it. It freaked me out to see what my doc wrote on there ... I honestly forget now what it was ... but be warned about that part of it :)  I had two wigs, very different from each other, and it was a lot of fun to switch them up and see people's reactions!

Okay...more reading and more than likely - more posting!

• Dianarose

Reesie-Happy Birthday !!!! I bet you are 29 like me. LOL

I survived chemo today. She pushed the chemo through in under 2 minutes and it gave me an instant headache. They surved my friend and I lunch at the center today. Huge lobster rolls and seafood chowder. It helped the headache. I have a lot of volunteers to go with me next time now.

I called my insurance and they nothing towards wigs even with a script. I can't complain. They are paying for my surgeries, chemo, and new boobs.

Have a good night everyone. I have to get up at 3 a.m. for work tomorrow. Should be a crazy day.

• marlegal

(continuing reading) Paula, thank you so much for properly quoting "eat your cake and have it too"!

Love the skull and crossbones theory on what to eat. I'm all over that!

Marybe, I wish I could hug you for going to visit Barb...she soooo needed that. You're a good man Charlie Brown :)

Dianarose, why doublesided tape? I never wore anything under my wigs, they were snug on my head and never moved. If for some reason yours are a little big, invest a very small amount in a wig cap that is soft against your skin, but hugs the wig. Less than $20

Butterfly, welcome. I like your attitude toward things...it will serve you well :) Music played a huge part in my treatment/recovery too. I listened to CD's during every chemo, and when I was having a bad day, I'd sit on the couch with my eyes closed and listen to a music station on our cable tv called Soundscapes. It "zen'd" me and would allow me to rest/sleep when nothing else could.

On to read more, and possibly post more!

• marlegal

I'm glad I came after all the page issues were fixed - my brain is scrambled enough without seing scrambled posts!

Diana - two minutes? I've never heard of such a thing! Even with a fast drip, that seems like someone may have hit the wrong button! I'd check with medonc and make sure that was what she/he intended. Bad enough waiting for other side effects, don't need an instant headache. Although - if I knew my chemos would come with a lobster roll instead of tuna salad, I may have felt differently!! Memory - they had really good pudding at my center and I actually did look forward to that on tx day. Then, about #6 when I was an old pro, I got for the pudding after my sandwich (Mom raised me right) but - what? No pudding? Well, what's that over there? Fruit cocktail? Are you f*in kidding me???? LOL   I opted for the cookies that day :)

Hope you all enjoy the holiday. My hub's company closed Thurs/Fri so I took vaca time too. We're at your trailer down the shore now, and I'll stay till Sat afternoon, him till Monday. I have a shower I'm actually looking forward to on Sunday, and frankly looking forward to a day or two at home as a single girl too - best of both worlds :)

• Dianarose

They don't give my chemo in a drip. After I get the Zofran, steroids, and saline, they push the chemo through the IV with a seringe. It scared me today. The other times the nurse took 20 minutes. This was done in litterally under 2 minutes today. I won't let them do that again.

I like the style of the wig, but not the quality. I am going to call after the first. I wore it to chemo and to some retail therapy with a friend today and it just took over an hour to come the knots out. I am mad at myself for not shopping around and making an emotional, panic decision.

Hope everyone has a great 4th.Cool

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I HAVE EYEBROWS!  They never came back after chemo 3 years ago, except very sparse, totally white, leaving my face "unfinished".  I'm not a make-up person so I could never get the hang of drawing them on!  I am however, a tattoo person, so got brows tatted on today!!!!  I am so happy.  They are a bit dark right now, so once they mellow out (in about 5 days per the gal) I'll post!  Yippee!  They are my mom's final birthday present to me.

• marlegal

Joni, I never heard of or thought of that! Mine are very sparse too ... hmmm...something to think about :) 

Diana, do you have a "form" for your wig? I had one long one, but I kept it on the form and never had to do a major brushout...it wasn't human hair, but a high quality synthetic that responded to a regular brushing without much effort. Hope you can work it out with a good wig, good cap under so no tape needed, and minimal care. Oh - I also had my wigs cut/styled more than once during chemo by my regular hairdresser when I'd get bored. She would laugh that she saw me more for cuts/styles during those 4 months than at any other time! She never took a penny for any of that cutting styling by the way. One of those things, and I had many during treatment, where you saw the good in people.

• cmbear

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REESIE

As my DH says its the 22nd anniversary of his 29th birthday. Happy Anniversary!

Yeah Eph!! New Brows, you must be so happy!! Hope yours turned out better than this girls. . .

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

OMG cmbear!!!!  Yes, I can already say, without a doubt, mine are better than that!!!

• Butterflylady2012

Dianarose, I think it's wonderful that they served your lobster rolls and chowder!  What a nice perk when you have to go through something thats no fun at all.  Sounds like a good place with good people.  I'm curious about the 2 minute Chemo thing too.  I have not been through Chemo, but from what I have heard that does sound pretty fast. Double check with them...

Elimar, I don't quite think I'm ready yet to take such a powerful pledge to Cheetohs, but I will let you know when I am able to commit. Maybe in a few days...Wink

I went for my simulation today, very strange experience.  When they were making the mold it was very warm and I felt like I was being made into sausage!  They techs though were really nice.  My first session is next Wednesday.  I'm a bit nervous and wondering even about taking something to help take the edge off for that first day.  I know it's not Chemo, but I'm feeling a little panicky just thinking about it.  I'm sure I'll get used to it after the first few treatments. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th with family, friends and just enjoying the time together!