Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

I forgot to mention that the MO said I must have good bone marrow because my wbc was back up to 9.98 and my red was back up to 4.27. He said as long as I feel good I don't have to go for the blood work on my 14 days off from chemo after the next  infusion on the 11th. I am fine with that.

Off to work. I only slept about 3 hours. I can never sleep after an infusion although I was tired.

Have a wonder holiday everyone.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Hear are some birthday flowers for Reesie and Joni.Hope you have a great day ladies.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

To all of our American sisters/brothers - Have a great holiday!!!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Happy birthday Joni!!!! Don't you love that everyone is celebrating your birthday today??!! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I'll still go with red, white & blue, even tho' cmb has the cake covered.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONI!  Enjoy your day and all the festivities.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Happy belated birth, Joni.  I had significant eybrows before chemo and wish I had had them tattooed before I started chemo.  They didn't return as heavy and I have thought about having them done now, but they are enough.  I just use brow powder every day to fill them in.

I still think it was a potato chip conspiracy, and when I outed them, they fixed it...until next attack.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.  It was a downer kinda day; I couldn't get past it being my 1st birthday without my Mom & it was so close to her death it just was very hard to get out of the dumps!  Doing better & I know it will take time & I know the pain will never go away completely.

The eyebrows however ROCK!  I think they will be sufficiently beautiful & healed to photograph by Sunday or so, then I'll post!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Love the photo Elle even the gulls are enjoying our cheetos.Laughing
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Butterfly welcome

Dianarose 2 minutes, yikes.   Wish I had that good of WBC.  Mine have never been good even before BC.  Mine are always right under the normal mark and I get every bug that passes my way.

Joni good for the eyebrow tatts.  Gotta make us feel good one way or the other.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I also wanted to thank all of you for the prayers for my Aunt.  she made it home which was important to her and she passed away yesterday.  So now she is in a much bigger better home with Christ.

• Dianarose

Eph3- I can not wait to see your brows. I want to have mine done too. I didn't have very many even before chemo. How long did it take and did it hurt? Did she draw them on first so you had an idea of what they would look like? Sorry you had a bummer of a birthday. My dad passed just a few days before this past Christmas and I don't think it will ever get easier. It's ok to miss them and be sad though. We just have that much love for them and we are only human.

Sherry- sorry about your aunt. She too, like my dad and Eph's mom are no longer in pain. No more tears for them.

• eph3_12

Dianarose, Yes.  She drew them on 1st (that took the longest cause I had her tweak it a bit after the 1st drawing); then waxed, then she did the tattooing (that process took maybe 45 minutes total)  She tattoo'd the shape initially without any numbing cream & then when she filled in, etc she numbed it.  I have 6 tattoos so to me these weren't very painful at all, which was surprising since I'm kinda freakish about things near my eyes (for instance, I can't do contacts-have tried-can't do it)  I'm entitled to 2 touchups in the 1st 6 months (for instance if I need to fill-in somewhere, or I want them darker, etc), but can't do anything until after the 1st 6 weeks.

I had catepillar eyebrows prior to chemo, so this shaped, slimmer look is gonna take some getting used to, although I havent had brows for 3 yrs so it's really just a matter of getting used to the look, period!

• elimar

Eph, The suspense to see those eyebrows is killing me.  I don't even know if I ever saw eyebrow tatts before, even if I did I probably thought they were just penciled in to get a precise shape. 

Sherryc, I've got to give it to your aunt basically willing herself to get home one last time.  She did it her way, and that was one strong lady.  My condolences to you.

justmejanis,  If you are out there...I am going for accupuncture on my neck on Monday.  The best way to describe how my neck feels is to say that the tendons feel too tight.  They don't seem to be letting up on their own and one side is tighter, which makes me feel crooked.  I tried to get it resolved with chiro & massage, but the "handling" of my neck just seemed to irritate it more.  I got an accupuncture "consultation" on my cruise, and the shpiel was that I needed "balance" and "energy flow" to the area.  She said accupuncture could stabilize the area.  Well, I'm skeptical but willing to give it a shot.  If I hear back from you, I'll let you know if it has any effect.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Sherry: what a blessing that your aunt was able to come home to her earthly home before moving on to her heavenly home! My "favorite" uncle passed on Tuesday after a very sudden hospitalization....I wish he was able to go home first, but it was not to be for him. God's bless you and your family!

Eli: Where DO you find all your photos.....this is my favorite thread to read.......you ladies rock!

• eph3_12

So here they are! 

• Dianarose

Eph- they look awesome !!!!! I can't wait to get mine done now. How expensive is it, if you don't mind me asking? You can just give me a ball park range.

• elimar

Lookin' good, Eph!  The arch looks very natural.  Have you practiced your eyebrow moves in front of a mirror yet?  Questioning...Surprise...Parental Disapproval...Hubba hubba?  Do me a favor, since I know others are interested to possibly have it done.  In some weeks when your own brow hair grows in, take another pic and show us that look too. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Sherry I'm so sorry to read of your aunt's passing.  Please take comfort in knowing that she was a fighter until it was time to go home to Jesus.  Whenever you hear the song by building 429 "Where I Belong"  think of her and know that she will be there waiting for you with a great big hug!

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Wow Eph! They look fabulous!

• eph3_12

Thanks.  The color is supposed to lighten a little bit once the healing is done & the top layer of skin sloughs off.

The gal I went to charged $395 for cash/check & $425 for credit card.  The procedure allows for 2 touch-up appointments ($20 each) in the 1st 6 months, if needed--add more color, fill in an empty spot, even something out, etc.  My understanding is that over time, touch ups are needed due to fading, but since I dont hang out in the sun hardly ever anymore, I'm not really expecting that to be a serious issue for me.  If I do need a touch up a few years down the road, that is only supposed to be $100 or so, even if done by someone else because the basic work is already done.

I have done the practice looks in the mirror.  The Hubba Hubba ain't happenin' but I've got parental disapproval down pat!!!! 

• eph3_12

Dianarose, my hairdresser gal said that I might want to submit a claim to my insurance for the eyebrows since I lost them due to chemo.  I am not probably going to try that since my treatment is 3 yrs ago, but if you do get tattooed you might want to ask/check on that possibility. 

• Dianarose

Eph- My insurance won't even pay towards a wig so I doubt that they would care about my eye brows. I will use my wonderful tax refund on me in February. I noticed on the way home that I had rubbed one of drawn on brows off at work. I can't wait until february.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

JONI---HUBBA, HUBBA, LOOKING GOOD!!!!!

You must be so happy!!! 

• autism_mom
    autism_mom Member Posts: 13

Hold on a second!!!   I'm middle aged????

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498

Yeah.  It was a shock to me too.  Here my eye doctor telling me "people your age" often need bifocals and cateract surgery, and my onc telling me "young women like you" need to consider this treatment option or the other...  I'm so confused.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Autism mom, I know, what is up with that? ;)

• autism_mom
    autism_mom Member Posts: 13

Ha!

I'll take the oncologist's opinion on this one :)

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332

Hello all

Finished chemo Friday and see the BS tomorrow!  Moving forward. 

Eph-like the eyebrows!

It's a sad day my DH ate my cheetos.

• eph3_12

autism mom, just hold onto Cindyl's response.  I remember vividly my onc telling me that I was so "young" (I was 55) to be doing chemo.  I thought she was nuts till I went to my 1st infusion & I was probably the youngest in the room by 20 years.  It was actually shocking.  58 now-been through the wringer-feel much older.  Maybe I should go visit folks at the chemo center!   

• Butterflylady2012
    Butterflylady2012 Member Posts: 14

Congrats Lostimo!  I'm so happy to hear you are on the other side of the Chemo! One step at a time and as you said moving forward...

But I was sad to hear your DH ate your cheetos. :(That's JUST NOT RIGHT! But for the clueless me and someone who needs a little education on acronyms....who's is your DH?? :)