Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Age is relative, isn't it? Where I live most of the year, the average age is 65......so at 57 I'm usually one of the youngest at the parties and events....lol

It wasn't until this dx....and I see how many younger women are dealing with BC that I've really started acknowledging my being "middle-aged"....it breaks my heart that so many young women are forced into chemo pause so early....especially those with young children.

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
    Butterflylady- DH is my dear husband even though he ate my cheetos Smile
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Jill so sorry to hear about your uncle.  The ones that go fast are always such a shock.

My Aunts funeral was yesterday and it was truly a celebration of life.  She had planned the whole thing and did not want people to be sad.  That was so like her always thinking of others.

I never really thought about my age and cancer until my first onco appt and I was by far the youngest in the waiting room.  I was 48 at DX just turned 50 this past month.  When I get my Zometa infusion I feel like a baby in the room. 

Eph I love the brows, mine have really started thinning since being on Tamox and I was wondering about having that done if it continues. For now I am able to fill in with eye brow powder. 

• chachamom

Thanks, Sherry. My uncle was one of the most interesting men I know. He was a geneologist, a historian and was well known and respected for the work he did and was doing for the state of Washington, and Olympia in particular. On top of that he had a great sense of humor. I will miss him. I'm so glad your aunt's celebration went well. My uncle specifically wanted no memorial or celebration....indicated by his POA/attorney. But some of his friends from the State Department are hosting a remembrance on the 18th anyway (it's for those who are left, right?). I can't attend, but my mom (his sister) will so I'm very grateful his friends are arranging it.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Sherry so sorry about your aunt and Jill about your uncle, yes they are now in a better place even though you wish you had them back for a chat.  Still missing my parents, it will be one year for dad on the 25th.

Going for my zometa infusion on Friday.  Getting to hate needles as it is so hard to find a vein in my left good arm.  Making sure I drink enough water this week to prep for it.

Eph - good job on the brows.

Lost - just to understand, you did chemo prior to surgery.  Pray all goes with BS.

• Sherryc

Walker we must be on the same schedule I am getting my Zometa infusion on Friday as well.  Luckily my good arm (veins) is my non cancer side.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Walker, may I ask, since we have very similar stats, when and how did your docs decide to give you zometa?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Happy Third Canserversary to ME!  Well, technically it was yesterday (three years ago) that I had my lumpectomy, so three years cancer-free. Woot, woot!

I got too busy to observe the date yesterday, as I spent three hours as a new patient at an accupuncturist.  For my neck.  I left with a couple bottles of supplements too, which my husband promply scoffed at when I got home.  Normally, I can just tell the hub to shut his pie hole when he scoffs, but he is a scientist and that makes it a little harder.  Then, it didn't help when I Googled the products for myself and found a Quackwatch page on the manufacturer.  People, I try to be open minded and occasionally give alternative treatments a shot, but this is typical of what happens when I do.  Won't hurt me to use the two bottles of supplements, so I'll finish them.  Even placebos help some people, so why not?

• Momine

LOL, elimar. Sorry about the quack supplements. Which ones are they?

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Jello shots on the house for Eli's anniversary!! WOOT-WOOT!! Don't feel bad about forgetting about the day, I forgot the anniversary of my DX this year----which now I realize is a very healthy thing to do. the day I remembered that I forgot I was sad for about a minute, and then thanked my stars that I'm in a better place now. 

• walker2222

Momine, it was when we got the results of my 2nd bone density scan which showed 13% bone loss. That was in January.  This is to boost bone production.  I am on Femera and that was the cause of bone loss, what are you on?  Have you had your bone density done.

Sherry be thinking of you on Friday

Eli congrats.

Well I had my DS drove me to work today since he has a Private Music lesson after his summer school class.  First time behind the wheel w/o parents.  I almost cried when he drove away.  He picks me up at 4.  He only increased our insurance by $108 per month not bad for a boy, but we do not have a car for him yet, so that might change.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

ooo-ooo-jello shots!  I actually wondered about the Monday silence E, but now that you mention the accupuncture appt I remembered.  As far as the supplements go, as long as you don't start getting chest hair or barnacles on your butt, it shouldn't be too harmful!

• Momine

Walker, thanks for the info. I am on femara and had a baseline bone density scan prior to starting the femara. I already have osteopenia on my spine, although my femurs are fine.

I have not had the second bone density scan yet.

• Sherryc

Eli congrats on your cancerversary.  I did acupuncture for my arthritis in my neck I do believe it helped but when I was so drugged out from BMX that is what finally helped the inflammation.  Although I was on pain drugs before no way could I take enough and function at work.  think it helped to be able to totally give in to it and relax and then the inflammation went down and I have not had any additional flair ups.

• chachamom

Happy anniversary, Eli!!!!!!

• elimar

Momine,  The brand is called Standard Process.  The supplements may or may not be helpful, but the founder of the company was a scammer that did prison time over his fraudulence, which actually was in the 60's so now they are most likely more honorable or more sneaky, one of the two.

cmb,  Exactly!  I really do have other things on the top of my mind, and not B/C anymore.  I know I am lucky that I could even get to a point to say that.

• Momine

Eli, wow! That supplement guy was a major fraudster, lol. Did you see that they have also recalled some of their pills because of possible salmonella contamination?

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Congrats Eli on the 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

• elimar

Yes, but the three compounds were not what I have.  I think I will be o.k.  I have an HCl compound with "proprietary formulation" of herbal ingredients and animal spleens (really!) and something else with every mineral in the cosmos in it.  The idea is to get my digestive system to absorb my nutrients better and give me the building blocks to HEAL, meanwhile inserting the needles to get the body "energies" flowing and promote HEALING that way too.  I'm game.  And I am fair.  I tell docs, psuedo-docs, and shaman alike that they aren't expected to FIX me in a short period of time, BUT I do need to see some progress in the right direction to continue for any length of time.  

• elimar

I have made enough comments about fully expecting to get to the 5 yr. mark without having a recurrence now, but will still be crossing my fingers after that because I had a slow growing B/C that could still show up later.  Knowing all that, I am happy to reach the 3 yr. mark.  I think ALL the milestones are worth celebrating, because you have to get to one year before you get to five; and you have to get to five before you get to 10; and so on.   I'm happy to rack up those years as I go along.

Yippee, yip, yip!             Pretend that is a little pink doggie.

• eph3_12

Looks just like you!!!

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60

Hello ladies: May I join your group? I'm 4 yrs post bc diagnosis and bilat mx..59 yrs young and thanking God for every day I have on this earth.

• eph3_12

Hi Mikita5, Welcome!

• elimar

Welcome, Mikita5, and it looks more like four and a holf years for you.  Even a half year can mean so much.  We are in all stages and all phases of B/C here, so just make yourself at home.  B/C is the priority topic, but we also enjoy going off on other middle-aged tangents all the time.

p.s. Eph, that is what a little pink doggie looks like after one jello shot too many.  Tongue out

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Welcome Mikita5.  The gals here are great.  Congrats on the 4.5 years to you!

• walker2222

momine, that is where I was a year ago too.  Make sure you get your next bone scan done.

Welcome, Mikita, looks like you have been on this journey for a while.  I am sure you have a lot of information to share.

• kkhalle
    kkhalle Member Posts: 6

Hi everyone.  I am relatively new to this.  I am two years out and reading all of these post keeps me in a positive frame of mind.  I had chemo, rad & was taking the trial drug Avastin and currently on Armidex.  However, thinking about changing to femera.  Is there a big difference between the two drugs?  Are the side effects about the same? 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Welcome, kkhalle!  The side effects listed for all this group of drugs is the same, but many women who have unbearable side effects on one don't have them, or don't have them unbearably on another.  It's well worth a try to switch from one to another. 

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli - Happy Cancerversary! I believe that we should celebrate as much and as often as we like - daily if that is what helps. Looks like there are enough shooters for everyone to help celebrate. Thanks Claire! I hope that the acupuncture is effective for you. As for the supplements - who knows?? You are not the only one to be drawn in by alternative meds. We take so many drugs that the promise of a natural supplement is encouraging.

Welcome mikita5 and kkhalle! This is a wonderful place for friendship, fun and knowledge.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Congratulations on a big THREE!!!!