Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Joni, I love that your dd was able to do that - how awesome! Hugs and love to you both.

• Beckers
    Beckers Member Posts: 979

Hi ladies,

I've been off work since April and I spend a lot of time on the iPad. I close my day looking for any newbies I can offer encouragement to on the active topics before I go to sleep. I love the ladies I've met so far on my august surgery thread but they seem to be disbanding somewhat. I'm off til Nov now and wonder if I can hang out here. I'm mid 40's, hot flashes, empty nest....whole 9 yards! Plus, you all post nice pics....wink wink. :o)

Rebecca

• Beckers

Hi ladies,

I've been off work since April and I spend a lot of time on the iPad. I close my day looking for any newbies I can offer encouragement to on the active topics before I go to sleep. I love the ladies I've met so far on my august surgery thread but they seem to be disbanding somewhat. I'm off til Nov now and wonder if I can hang out here. I'm mid 40's, hot flashes, empty nest....whole 9 yards! Plus, you all post nice pics....wink wink. :o)

Rebecca

• Beckers

Hi ladies,

Rebecca

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Rebecca - Welcome.  I hang out here. Post occasionally. Think I remember you from the spring surgery threads. Neither my surgery or rads group is still active. See some others on the AI threads. MUST love Cheetos to join here. ((Wink)) Group has nice pocket parties for anyone having tests, scans, surgeries, anything needing support. Glad you have found your way here to this group.

• Beckers

Looking for a place to hang out. Been off work since April and not sched to return until Nov. I may need stage 2 surgery so who knows. I'm in my 40's, hot flashes, empty nest and all that good stuff! Mind if I join you? I like your pics...cupcake month, etc. Ha!

• Beckers

Cheetos are the best!!!!

• Beckers

Cheetos are the best!!!!

• Beckers

I keep getting duplicate posts. Just joined and I'm messin' up the place.....sorry! :o)

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Beckers, those aren't nice pictures, most are works of art (wink)

• Beckers

Especially the cupcakes. Love those cupcakes.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Beakers-- yesterday was triplicate post day. Guess the tech people were working overtime. Hope it's fixed today. Although, triplicates of some of our more popular cabana boys wouldn't be a bad thing. . .

Eli-- your picture is a little Freudian to me--- why do I see rolling green boobs??

• cmbear

Beakers-- yesterday was triplicate post day. Guess the tech people were working overtime. Hope it's fixed today. Although, triplicates of some of our more popular cabana boys wouldn't be a bad thing. . .

Eli-- your picture is a little Freudian to me--- why do I see rolling green boobs??

• cmbear

Beckers-- yesterday was triplicate post day. Guess the tech people were working overtime. Hope it's fixed today. Although, triplicates of some of our more popular cabana boys wouldn't be a bad thing. . .

• cmbear

See they haven't fixed the problem yet!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

It's taking time for each "submit" to post. I think y'all are getting anxious and hitting submit more than once. Check to see if the site has finished doing it's thing by checking the logo at the tab at the top of the page. If there is still an icon showing active work in progress, wait for your post to show. If the bco logo is there then your post didn't show up.

• cmbear

That's my problem --I'm too darn impatient! But it it really is taking a l-o-n-g time to post!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Welcome Beckers - of course you are welcome to hang out here. Sorry that you have to join us but now that you have wandered into our den of laughter and love, you will find it to be a wonderful place. It's kind of like Hotel California - not that you can't leave, but you won't want to - too much fun. By the way - like your name. Becker is my maiden name :)

cmbear - lol - maybe it's a field of dreams or a "pick your own" farm.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome, Beckers!   I got duplicate posts the other day because it was taking so long to "connect" that I hit the submit button a second time, only to find out the first post had gone thru'.  I am going to seem pretty nosy from the get-go, but I just have to ask, after seeing that you are my "Dx Twin"**...

1)  You had lumpectomy (both at once!) but a short time later went for mastectomy, why?   Margins not coming back clean?  More lesions found?   Just curious why you took the additional step.  I sense a story here.

2)  Are you (early) menopausal, because I am surprised you are on Arimidex?  I started on Tamox., am now menopausal but will just finish up on the Tamox.  (another two years or so.)   Was Tamox. not an option for you?

**I had a speck of DCIS too, but don't include that in my Dx line.  I think most IDC has some DCIS, so it kind of goes without saying (although when the IDC is minimal and the DCIS is extensive, it can be the DCIS that dictates how it is treated.)  

Eph,  You have, or are starting, some interesting family traditions; and the sculpted hands are a real keepsake.  How fun for your fearless daughter!  (I always said I would go skydiving on my 30th birthday, but it didn't happen.  Now, I just envision my vertebrae snapping, and my knees buckling permanently on impact, so I think I missed my chance on that.) 

• Beckers

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!! Sounds like a great place.

Elimar, I had synchronous BC, which is a pretty way of saying bilateral. IDC in one and DCIS in the other. I wanted BMX but let that surgeon talk me out of it so I had the lumpectomies. Also, when I met with the RO at the new cancer center, he was very honest about the dangers if having to radiate both breasts (unlike the other cancer center's RO). Thank God I had options! That's all I can say. The new cancer center's surgeon was so upbeat and positive and BMX was decided and I felt such a weight off my shoulders. I don't miss my old ones AT ALL....suckers were after me! I had surgical menopause in 2008 after total hysterectomy. I haven't started AI yet, but it's next on my "to do" list.

• elimar

Beckers,  I didn't think of that.  I thought DCIS usually does not get radiation.  Well, you are about one month ahead of cmbear, who just had DIEP last week.

I had an exhausing weekend, as only a painting and wallpapering project can make you.  Let's just say I went for the poor man's kitchen renovation.  Besides the paint and paper, I cleaned every inch of that kitchen and went over the cabinetry with a linseed oil stain.  Trouble is, now I don't want anyone but me even going in there...hahaha!  What takes a whole weekend to beautify, takes about 45 minutes of family use to nullify.  Oy!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eli, I can sooo relate. We lived with drywall only downstairs for years. Got it finished and painted last year, and I'm nuts about anyone walking close to the wall in case they should dare smudge, or nick, or otherwise chance an imperfection on that glorious surface! And on those rare occasions when I clean, I drive myself crazy trying to keep it that way!

Beckers - welcome! This is a great place to hang out and have fun. I made a little something for you to celebrate. Yup ... cheetos on a cake :)

• barbe1958

elimar, DCIS gets RADS if they don't do a mastectomy. I see more DCIS getting mastectomies than any other type since I've been on this forum!! DCIS only doesn't get chemo. (And yes, someone will pipe up that they got chemo and then admit 4 posts from now that 'Oh, they also had a small bit of IDC in the mix!') IDC trumps DCIS all day long as far as treatment goes. And DCIS is sometimes spread so wide the only alternative IS mastectomy!!

• Beckers

A Cheetos cake? Now that's a first! Thank you so much!! I have a pic of my 2 year old granddaughter with a big bah of Cheetos in the background. (I don't know how to post pics here. I tried once but it showed up looking like a link.)

Yeah the plan was for rads on DCIS after lumpectomy.

How are you feeling cmbear? It's a big recovery. I definitely wasn't one off the pain meds in a week a walking miles. :o( I'm still poking along and so tired. Hope you are doing well.

• elimar

Barbe, Aha!  If I hadn't been inhaling paint fumes all weekend, my brain would have figured out why most DCIS doesn't get rads.  You are right.  Seems most of them get mastectomy.

Beckers,  Did you actually get any rads on the IDC side, or did the mastectomy decision come before the rads started?

Marlegal, That's wishful thinking.  I don't think those are Cheetos.  The tapered unrounded edges look like orange slices to me.  (Of course, an orange layer cake if fine hospitality also.)

cmb,  Just now saw your comment.  Sometimes a hill is just a hill!  It's an art installation called Wave Field.

• Beckers

No rads. The decision was made to do mastectomy. :o)

• banjobanjo
    banjobanjo Member Posts: 187

Hi, Just thought I'd join you on here as I'm coming up to 60 and this thread looks interesting.

• banjobanjo
    banjobanjo Member Posts: 187

Hi, Just thought I'd join you on here as I'm coming up to 60 and this thread looks interesting.

• barbe1958

Well, took you long enough to get here!!! You could have been here before you turned 60 but glad you finally made it!! Welcome Barbara!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Becker and Banjo welcome, glad to have both of you here.

I had a busy weekend.  Oldest DS came in Saturday for a visit and to talk.  Having girl problems, I really hope they are able to work things out as I really think she is very good for him.  So up at 5am to work out this morning and going to meet the trainer at 5 am in the morning.  I think I might just be getting use to this early schedule.  Sure makes my evenings nicer not to be running to the gym along with just trying to get things done.