Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• spartina
    spartina Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011

Hello all - first post for me on this thread.  After two months of E and C, I am on 12 weekly of Taxol. Had my second dose yesterday.  I have been feeling so much better that on Sunday my husband George and I went for a 3.5 mile walk over the streets we had been doing our runs on before my MX in October.  When I looked at my step meter on Sunday night, it said 19,820!  Boy was I happy!  

The snow is piled so high on the sides of the icy streets in my town of Setauket that it's been dangerous to walk-- this area never plows the sidewalks and people seem to be driving so aggressively lately.  But it's starting to melt and I'm looking forward to clearer streets and more walking.  

I'm been doing small hand weights at home but finding this threat has inspired me to dig out my old ankle weights. 

Be well everyone and great to meet you.

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited February 2011

Badger, I always liked commute time (although maybe not as long as yours!) for organizing my day on my way in, and decompressing on the way home... made the last part of the day more relaxed. Unless I was driving in a blizzard, of course! :)  And yeah, I always got home faster than I got to work, go figure!

Mary, glad you found a gym and are doing so well already! Your hike sounds great even if it wasn't exactly ideal circumstances -- I always love hiking in the woods/mountains/just about anywhere in winter.  Retriever, I had plantar fasciitis about 6 years ago, very painful... never had any shots and tried inserts and good shoes, which helped, and it eventually healed, but it was awful for awhile. I wish you relief, and soon!  (love the puppy pic!)  Patoo, glad you're feeling better, and Bobbi, glad your mom had such a great birthday!  Ruth, your theme week sounds like so much fun.  Still sending out healing thoughts for Ryan, every morning. Sandee, hope your massage helps. Jen, "hurry up and wait," Tom Petty is right about how hard that is.  We're all thinking of you!  Ronna, looking forward to hearing about your volunteer job!  I probably missed someone but I'm inspired by you all, always.

Exercise:  did lots of shoveling, scraping, and ice-tossing yesterday; temps are back in the teens, so I won't be moving any more ice any time soon.  Today I'm doing something a bit more fun -- kicking with Billy is planned, and although my wrist still hurts, I'm going to get back to the weights anyway.  I think I can do most of the exercises without causing any pain. 

Keep up the good work, everyone... warm hugs on a cold morning!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited February 2011

Hi Spartina! Welcome!

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited February 2011

PS Spartina, welcome!  This is a great thread for staying motivated and for feeling more responsible to do what you plan... plus all the women here are terrific!  I'm impressed that you walked 3.5 miles.  By the time I got to Taxol I was really dragging.  All you can do now will just help you get through treatment and be stronger as you head into recovery after.  Keep up the good work!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2011

Welcome spartina. This thread keeps me motivated.

Did yoga last night, was cancelled last Thursday because of bad weather and i so missed it.  Will do my elliptical tonight.  It will be too late to walk by the time I get home.  I donlt like going out in the dark and walking alone and husband won't get home until late tonight.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2011

Welcome Spartina - great thread to keep you motivated!

Sandee - take care of yourself - don't push too hard with excercising when you are in pain (you don't want to make things worse!)  How is the ankle??

Ruth - I was smiling when I thought of you coming home and getting OUT of your PJ's to work out!!  Hope the day was great!

Bobcat - I think my heart would EXPLODE first before hitting that rate! Cool

Nature - hopefully you got all the ice chipped away before it froze again - my driveway is like driving through potholes right now because that was how everything froze overnight!!

Hope everyone else is doing great and keeping moving!

1 did 45 minutes on the Wii and 30 minutes treadmill with crosswalk.  Now I am off to do some vocal excercise - yes, choir practice does count!!

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2011

Jen....sending thoughts and sharing my rose coloured glasses with you! Waiting is definitely one of the hardest things about BC...hope you find some good distractions!

Julie...made the appointment for Friday am...now to see if personal training tomorrow helps or hurts...will be interesting to see if I can sit through a 2 hour meditation class tomorrow evening too! Did my best not to make it worse with my minimalist shovelling this evening...had to get in the driveway!

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

jmakj- Ankle is better thanks! I put some of that lovely smelling mint suff on last night and this morning and that seemed to relax the muscle some...between the ankle and my butt muscle, makes walking and sitting difficult! So, hopefully the massage will help on Friday:) Will try to take it relatively easy until then.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

45 minutes of toning with Denise & 15 on the treadmill.

Yes, 'Snow Week' is a fun way to break up the winter a little. I went & visited my dad at the nursing home yesterday; so there I was sitting out in the lounge wearing my pajamas visiting with all the old people....I was afraid they might try to keep me there! Today was 'Twin Day'; the teacher in the next room and I dressed alike......tomorrow is 'Wacky Wednesday".

If you can put some exercisy word in front of what you are doing it can count. Choir practice could be known as 'Vocal Toning'. Wink

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2011

Ruth - Snow Week sounds like a blast!  What do you do for Wacky Wednesday?  and what is the rest of the week?  We should do that nationally :)

Welcome Spartina - this is the best thread.

I did the RealRyder spin class this morning.  OMGGGGGG - it was so hard but so wonderful.  A full hour of all out cardio and the new style bikes work your core, back, arms, shoulders, obliques - it was just such a cool and hard workout.  I know I will be sore in the morning, but a good sore.  Caught up with a couple of old friends there too.  Catching up tonight with some news shows and Dirty Jobs.  I have an early ride tomorrow and then new mattress arrives - yippee!!  The work is almost done here.  Have a great night all Kiss

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

ohhh ruth..love it!! Vocal training....getting my breath back was the other reason I signed on with a personal trainer when I started rads and tami...couldn't last ...lots of improvement now.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2011

I cleaned my closet out tonight and tried on all my old stuff to see what fit an did not since I have lost weight. Does that count for exercise?

• packjen
    packjen Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2011

Yes, Sherry.  I say you count it!

Spartina, welcome.  I too am amazed that you are walking that distance in the middle of your chemo.  I was a sloth until a couple of months after my rads (which came after chemo).  Now I am trying to get rid of that weight I gained.  BTW, a sloth is my favorite animal so I don't mind being compared to one. HA.

45 min of weights, 105 sit ups, 25 mins of eliptical.  Tomorrow is one of my 2 days per week that I take off from the gym.

Toodles.

Jen

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

'Toss and Tone'.

Wacky Wednesday is anything that would look 'wacky'. I am going to wear one of DS old tee shirts that has a skeleton on the front & back, the teacher next door is wearing something involving suspenders and a men's tie; and who knows what the kids will do! Thursday is 'Decade Day' (dress from a decade from the past...in other words I could wear my normal clothes Wink) and Friday is Spirit Day with a big activity night in the evening (with one of the 'lucky' chaperones being yours truly.....chasing kids around the building should count for some sort of exercise if I can come up with a catchy title!). 

• fmakj
    edited February 2011

Chase and chisel??

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

or 'Cardio Kid Chase'? probably more cardio than chiseling.....

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011
    If you have a peppy church choir, it could also be called "Pump and Praise" Laughing!
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2011

Quick fly-by.  You all are funny!   Didn't sign on last evening but did do a 60 min water aerobics class which woeks both upper and lower body.  Planning on treadmill this evening. 

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited February 2011

Hi everyone: Well, today was my second day of "work" (volunteering). Went much better than Monday. I am at  intake at Breast Center. Was overwhelmed Monday, thrown right into it, however, today was a little quieter, and I was able to look over the papers to give out. I finally feel productive after not working in law firm since 2008. I put in 6 hours already.

They asked me if I could do 3 days next week 9:30 - 12:30. I admit I did get tired and my right hand does not function like it should from the inhibitors but I am doing my best. However, I really enjoyed it.

Monday night I skipped Zumba, it was too cold to go out and my first day of "volunteering" left me exhausted. Forgot about all other problems while "working", but thought of all of you while I was there. Will now have to wait until Zumba Sat. morning. Have colonoscopy for iron deficiency test on Frid. Tomorrow is prep, ugh.

Love to all, Hugs,

• fmakj
    edited February 2011

((Ronna))  Good luck on the prep and glad you are liking the "job"!

So far today I did 40 minutes Wii fit plus, and might get on the treadmill (but might not use the incline as my lower back is aching today).  Maybe floor excercises instead??  Undecided

Later tarts!

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

Did an hour at the gym tonight..starting to feel a bit toned.I told my rtrainer I am happy just to NOT have gained weight since treatment and tami....still, exhausted by the time I get in to her. Gogin to try to get to a FLOW clas tomorrow at lunch but my class goes right up until 12..will depend on whether they as a million questions or not! Training two more times this week and African dance Friday night...

Pump and praise..good one Ruth! The focus of this choir this year is Women's Heart Health...not a religious choir but all women....does my own heart good!

I think cleaning out the cloeset and trying things out and tossing things is excellent exercize!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2011

Trying ot get up off the couch.  Never should have sat down after work!  Been getting tired early for some reason so may just go up early and march again before bed.

Night all.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2011

Had first yoga class with new teacher today.  She's very energetic and taught us some cool poses like sunflowers and moonflowers.  I do miss my old teacher, who was very mellow and relaxing.  But it's a good feeling to stretch and there's a brisk walk over and back.

patoo, I bought a pedometer and am so surprised at how many steps I take in a day!

Ronna, glad you like the work, good luck with the test etc..    {{hugs}} to all

• packjen
    packjen Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2011

Patoo, water aerobics sounds like great fun.  You don't really know how much you sweat though, do you?

Ruth -- what a fun school you have.  What grade do you teach?

Today was my day off from exercise.  Tonight is "Drop Everything And Read" night at my kids' school.  So we had breakfast burritos for dinner, put on our jammies and will take our books to the school library to read with other families.  Hot cocoa will be served, but I'll pass to offset the cocktail I had while making dinnerKiss

Grateful for all of you.

Jen

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

Drop Everything and Read....sounds like my kind of night! I teach at a middle school. I think anyone who likes to teach that level has to be a little crazy (myself included), and we do have lots of fun; I suppose because we've never grown all the way up. I did 45 minutes of treadmill & 45 minutes of FIRM sculpting. Maybe now I will drop everything and read, I'm in the middle of a good book. Good Night Ladies! Ruth

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

Badger- 10,000 steps per day for heart health( and weight loss) per day! My sister lost scads of weight so walkng works!

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Got in 30 mins on the exercise bike after work today.  My heel starts to throb as the day goes on, but it doesn't hurt while I'm biking.

Found out today a lovely lady, the wife of a former Sunday School teacher and pastor, passed away last week.  I knew her bc had returned; she was going thru chemo when I started last year--but I hadn't heard anything more until today.  Wish I had known and could have attended her funeral.  She was a woman of immense faith and had a wry sense of humor.  If you're so inclined, remember Sonja and Steve in your prayers.  He has multiple health problems himself, including Parkinson's.

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited February 2011

Hi, All:

Sandeeonherown:  Good luck with your appointment Friday.  

Ronna:  Your new job sounds very rewarding, glad you survived that hectic first day.  Now, hope things will settle down a bit.  Good luck with the colonoscopy - had mine in December.  Prepping for those is so much funFrown

Mary Louise:  Floor exercises sound good (sit-ups usually help my aching back).  

Ruth:  Said more prayers for Ryan while walking today.

Retrievermom:  Sonja and Steve are included in my prayers.

Walked my usual 5 miles in an hour and 20 minutes.  Then came home and did resistance training with ankle weights for about 30 minutes.

sherryc: Closet cleaning sounds like exercise to me!

Spartina:  Welcome!

Hope everyone else is doing okay.

Night, All.

Julie

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2011

Prayers to Ryan, Sonja and Steve.  Ronna - glad you like the volunteering.  I'm sure you will be a source of strength to those ladies.

Did my ride yesterday and wasn't too sore from the new RealRyder class on Tuesday until last night and then oh my! was I sore and achey in the shoulder, back and neck area.  I was happy to sleep on my new memory foam mattress :) in a kitty sandwich.  SO is travelling all week so I have the bed to myself.  Amazing how neat and clean the place stays when it's just me.  Enjoying my coffee and heading out shortly - the trails are finally clear again but it it COLD!!  Have a great day all - hugs to everyone and all the exercise going on out there  Kiss  Cheryl, Kim and Mary - are you out there?  Badger - did you get the Trax?

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

Just checking in; I have a meeting in two minutes. Ryan is still being kept in the coma while his lungs are (hopefully) healing. I am worried about the medical implications of that, but he is in place where they know what they are doing. Prayers for Steve & Sonja.