Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Thanks for the birthday wishes. All in all it was a nice day except the start where I clipped the passenger front side of my car getting out of the garage - cut it too close. Amazing to see the damage to the car when I was going maybe 1 mph! My son came over for dinner and I talked to both my girls and SIL. And of course they spoiled me as they always do.

I had a skin reaction (atypical) to the Velcade again this week, so they aren't going to give it to me on Friday. I don't see the hematologist til the 19th, but his nurse will check in on me Friday. I don't know if its just one week off the Velcade or switching to something different or what.

Weight was down again yesterday - didn't loose any today but didn't gain any either. I cry when I get on the scale. I haven't weighed this little since early high school - maybe 10th grade - I only remember what i weighed going into 9th grade and when I graduated - or at least It think I know what it was. Really worried. I hope the dietician will have some ideas to put some weight back on. I see her Monday. My hematologist had to change the referral to include CKD so my medicare advantage will cover the visit. I am way too thin. It scares me for the SCT - I see the transplant doctor tomorrow so I'll see what she has to say.

Supposed to be near 80 today - but they've turned the AC on in school so I freeze!

Have a great Tuesday.

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 845
    Options

Got to the gym today at lunchtime…had a good workout but was presented with some sad news. One of our yoga/pilates friends died over the weekend 😪

We have (had) a married couple, nearly 90 at the yoga/pilates studio for nearly 20 years…I was in class with them last Tuesday before my trip to DC. They were both in class on Thursday, but Bill died on Saturday. Quite a shock, but in the bigger picture, if I can go to the gym one day and pass two days later without weeks/months/years on prolonged illness…I hope for that result!

Blessings for our time with Bill, Prayers for Mary. TT

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,953
    Options

I am so sorry, TT. Bill sounds like a wonderful example (and role model) of living life to the fullest all the way to the end. I hope Mary has family & friends who can help her navigate during this very difficult time.

I had a nice day. I went out to lunch with two teacher friends (and ran into 4 other retired teachers in the same restaurant…..apparently we are all trying to make up for all those years of 20 minute lunches!). Then Bruno & I met up with a friend and her dog for 90 minutes of romping about. I went to Dance2fit & Yoga tonight.

• karen1956
    Options

Thanks for the birthday wishes. All in all it was a nice day except the start where I clipped the passenger front side of my car getting out of the garage - cut it too close. Amazing to see the damage to the car when I was going maybe 1 mph! My son came over for dinner and I talked to both my girls and SIL. And of course they spoiled me as they always do.

I had a skin reaction (atypical) to the Velcade again this week, so they aren't going to give it to me on Friday. I don't see the hematologist til the 19th, but his nurse will check in on me Friday. I don't know if its just one week off the Velcade or switching to something different or what.

Weight was down again yesterday - didn't loose any today but didn't gain any either. I cry when I get on the scale. I haven't weighed this little since early high school - maybe 10th grade - I only remember what i weighed going into 9th grade and when I graduated - or at least It think I know what it was. Really worried. I hope the dietician will have some ideas to put some weight back on. I see her Monday. My hematologist had to change the referral to include CKD so my medicare advantage will cover the visit. I am way too thin. It scares me for the SCT - I see the transplant doctor tomorrow so I'll see what she has to say.

Supposed to be near 80 today - but they've turned the AC on in school so I freeze!

Have a great Tuesday.

• ruthbru
    Options

Gosh, I sure hope they can give you some good suggestions to keep some weight on, Karen!

We had thunderstorms all night and over an inch of rain (we needed some rain but not this much!). Thankfully things cleared up by morning so the Wednesday Women could walk outside.

• karen1956
    Options

I met with the transplant oncologist this afternoon and it was a very good visit with positive news.Based on my past history of breast cancer and chemo and risks with  a  stem cell transplant (STC) she is not recommending SCT for me.  The risk of another blood cancer, especially leukemia outweighs any risk of the myeloma getting worse.  So, after I finish the 16 weeks of chemo, they will do another bone marrow biopsy and then I will go on a monthly maintenance chemotherapy.  This Friday is chemo #7.
    I can't begin to tell you how much of a relief this news was to hear.

• ruthbru
    Options

That is great news, Karen! Knowing this should make the next weeks a little easier to handle.

I went to the movie 'Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret' with some friends this afternoon. It's based on Judy Blume's 1970 book by the same name. A sweet coming- of-age story.

• trmtab
    Options

went to yoga at lunch and instead of gentle we had up tempo salsa music yoga…it was a sub teacher and really a great class, just not what I was expecting or able to fully do mid-day and go back to school without a shower…so think up tempo yoga with a teacher for a spin class yelling over the carib-pop music!

• karen1956
    Options

It has been raining for the past 24 hours. Moe rain today than we typically get the whole month of May. Supposed to stop sometime tomorrow then rain again on the week-end.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,754
    Options

Karen: That's great news that SCT is not being recommended for you. What a relief knowing this. Sorry about your car. You don't need that frustration.

TT: Sorry about your friend Bill. I'm sure that was a shock for everyone in your yoga class. I'm having a hard time imagining what yoga with salsa music would be like. I bet the class just flew by.

Ruth: I want to see that movie. Love your WWW picture.

Dh and I returned today from our short trip to visit 3 NC state parks in the eastern part of the state. Fortunate to have good weather, no bugs, and very few people. There is a really nice wooden boardwalk that goes through part of the swamp at the Dismal Swamp State Park. Felt like I was in an aviary as the birds were amazing. We were able to hike many miles in the woods at the other 2 parks. Today we hiked 6.5 miles to the Cape Fear River. Here are a few pictures. The second one is from the swamp.

• ruthbru
    Options

Beautiful pictures, Wonderland! It's especially nice when there are few people and no bugs! The wood-ticks are out here. Yuck! Since Since we go hiking around out in the countryside a lot, Bruno has taken his flea & tick pill & I bought a can of bug spray for us humans. Although ticks are in town to as one was crawling across my arm last night when I was sitting on my sofa.😧

DS & fiance are out of town today for two graduations on her side of the family so we are the puppy sitters. I will get my exercise by herding dogs!!

• karen1956
    Options

Treatment #7 is done. Only 9 more to go. Hematologist (and two other nurses) stopped by to see the reaction on me as well as the photo. Evidently, the reaction is unusual. If someone gets a reaction it's me. He is stopping the Velcade which is the med that is causing the reaction. My monthly appointment is next Friday. He can write a Rx a stronger anti-itch cream if it gets worse and also a stronger anti-nausea if I keep having nausea. Will wait and see. My weight is down another 1.2#. In tears when I get off the scale. My weight is way too low. I see a Dietician on Monday afternoon. I need some good suggestions. I don't think I'm eating any less at meals - just not snacking and I'm beginning to wonder if it's just not snack or the meds as well as the MM.

It's finally stopped raining after 2 days of rain. Supposed to start up again tomorrow and rain the next several days.

I have my end of the year evaluation this afternoon. I finally completed all my paperwork for it. I have to do a self appraisal - it is hard to rate myself - don't want to be too high or not high enough on my ratings The comments are easier to do.

Have a great Friday

• ruthbru
    Options

We got your rain, Karen. It is pretty soggy around here!

After the dogs left yesterday (about pm), I marched around the house until I got up to 10,000 steps. Today I went to a nice stretch class, walked a little & did a Denise Austin toning DVD. I need to vacuum & mop the kitchen floor to get rid of the mud tracked in by the dogs.

Karen, when I was marching around the house last night, I thought up a food suggestion (which may or may not be helpful). Maybe you should consider food as medicine. When I'm on antibiotics, I set reminders to take my pill every 4 or 6 hours (or however many times a day is recommended). Maybe it would help to set reminders to eat something every so many hours…..whether you are hungry or not…. just eat something with the same mindset that you'd use to take a pill 'I need to do this to get better'. That is just a thought anyway.

• ruthbru
    Options

Happy Mother's Day to all moms of humans and/or pets, to aunts, and mentors to young people. I had a nice day, I even had a dog chauffeur when I went plant shopping!

• karen1956
    Options

Ruth - love the picture of Bruno

Took today off from work. Overwhelmed and exhausted. Just needed a day away. Only 3 weeks left, but it is a long 3 weeks.

It's been a hard two months. So much to process and understand. Still so many unknowns. I only got one of the two injections on Friday due to the reaction the previous two weeks. I felt so much better with getting just the one. Not sure if it is just a week break or will not get the Velcade anymore. I have my monthly Hematologist appointment on Friday so hope to have some answers then. Then is an oral form of Velcade, but serious nausea is a side effect - no thank you. Transplant oncologist said if take it at night, pre-med before taking it and then again in the morning, should be okay. Not Karen - I struggle with nausea with many meds and don't want to be miserable if this is presented as an option. The skin reactions are fading.

9 days till DD due date. She is feeling good but ready for the baby to make his/her entrance. We will go a week or two after baby is born as she is having a baby nurse when she first comes home. I'm limited on my travel as I need to be home for chemo on Fridays. I will go again after I finish chemo and hope to take a couple weeks FMLA when she goes back to work to take care of the baby before baby goes to daycare. Of course, I will need to work this out with work. I have plenty of sick time, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Rain last night, and more showers on and off this week. This is the wettest May in years. More rain so far for the first half the month, than the average for the whole month.

Going to go heat up homemade chicken soup for lunch. Have a good Monday.

• wonderland
    Options

Karen: You have been through so much these last 2 months. Glad you only had 1 injection on Friday. Your precious grandchild is such a blessing for you. Did you go to the Dietician today? If so, I hope you received good advice on gaining weight.

Ruth: Bruno really looks like he's driving!

Ds and dd cooked dinner for me for Mother's Day. We celebrated on Saturday bc dd was going to her in-laws home on Sunday. Yesterday was our 40th wedding anniversary. Had a really good day just hanging out.

Push mowed today for 2 hours.

• ruthbru
    Options

Congratulations to you & DH on your anniversary, Wonderland!

Karen, if baby shows up on the 19th, he/she will share a birthday with my dad. If he/she waits until the 28th, that's my son's birthday!

I went to Zumba this morning and cleared out my flower beds. It really seems like spring has sprung

• ruthbru
    Options

Another beautiful day here (although the sky is very mysterious because of smoke drifting down from wildfires in Canada). I started planting flowers (hoping it doesn't freeze again, I usually wait until Memorial Day), went to Zumba and Yoga (which was held outside.....lovely

• ruthbru
    Options

Our Wednesday Walking Women picture is kind of lopsided, so here's a picture of where we walked instead. Still nice but supposed to rain tonight and be 20 degrees cooler tomorrow!

• wonderland
    Options

Beautiful picture, Ruth. And your trees are leafing out!

My exercise today was cleaning out the garage for hours. Over 12,000 steps! I'm guessing the garage has not been cleaned out since last summer. We had new floor laid in the basement along with other construction last spring so things were moved to the garage (which attaches to the garage) and most stayed there. I have lots of excuses why the garage has not been touched but today I woke up and said it's being done today! It's not completely done but I'm really happy with what we did today. And I have the dirt all over me to prove it. Now if I can just get dh to keep things organized (a wife can dream, can't she?)

• ruthbru
    Options

Busy day here. I cleaned the house this morning. Went with DH to get the car serviced in a nearby town (we bought this car when the inventory was very low & there was nothing in our town to buy! We still had a free oil change, which is why we took it back there). Anyway, there is a nice, quaint downtown about 1/2 mile from the car dealership so I walked over and did some window shopping while the car was being worked on. When I got home, I finalized the plans for a trip to see my 89 year old aunt in Wisconsin in July. I went to Dance2fit & Yoga tonight.

• karen1956
    Options

I'm finally a member of the grandparent club! DD#1 and SIL had a girl Tuesday evening. I can't wait to hold the little one. We hope to go the last week in May or first week in June. Air fares are outrageous!! I want to see if I can move my chemo from Friday to Monday so we can stay a week instead of 4 days.

• ruthbru
    Options

Congratulations, Gramma Karen! Hope

• wonderland
    Options

How wonderful Karen! So exciting! Hope your dd and granddaughter are both doing well. Congratulations!!! 💕

Walked late this afternoon. Had a quick shower then off to a dinner meeting.

• trmtab
    Options

Mazal tov! how wonderful Karen, hope you can slide the chemo appt so you can stay a full week.

Beautiful pictures all…so nice to see spring again in full bloom in ND! and Wonderland, those NC state parks are fabulous. My DH is from Wilmington so we have done a lot of the state parks down that area.

We are in graduation mode Th/Fri/Sat..last year it was 100+ degrees all weekend and I melted underneath my academic robes…so happy this year is mid-70's.

Went to a pilates/yoga fusion class yesterday that I love but haven't been strong enough to go to since I hurt my knee (last year!), so good to do, but also so disappointing to see how much strenght I have lost, ugh! Oh well, nothing to do about that then to keep at it!

Take care all, TT

• jt24
    jt24 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi everyone, I am new here and glad to know that there is a chat group running on daily exercise. I was recently diagnosed with DCIS on my left breast and will get a unilateral mastectomy. I am leaning towards no reconstruction. That means I will live with one breast. I have small breasts (a cup) and living with flat chest on one side is okay to me.

My question is on the daily mobility. I have daily jogging routine and I hope I can return to jogging routine after I recover (for my mental health). Has anyone gone through a similar phase? I constantly wonder if I will feel imbalanced when I job or walk with 1 breast? What if I cannot run? It will really suck if I lose my only hobby.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2023
    Options

Welcome, jt24! You will for sure be able to walk/run. If you are small already, I don't think it will affect you one bit

I have a good friend who was more busty who had a unilateral mastectomy without reconstruction. She is an avid exerciser (mostly bouncy things like Zumba, Kickboxing etc.). She wears two sports bras to smush the boob side down and hasn't had any problems. You might just have to experiment at first to find what works best for you.

I went for a Dog Walk this morning. Then made dinner for a sick friend, and then went over to DS's to babysit dogs. I bought some more flowers & vegetables I want to get in the ground once I get home

• jt24
    jt24 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks a lot ruthbru! It is comforting to hear your friend’s story. I am still slowly accepting the diagnosis. Some days I feel better than other days. I had a dinner with family tonight. I count it as a good day.

• wonderland
    Options

jt24: Welcome! I had a uni mx and wore a prosthesis for 2 years before I had recon. But for those 2 years I walked while wearing it and had no problem. I don't recall walking without the prosthesis. The only time I went without wearing it was at bedtime. Sounds like Ruth's friend has a good idea with wearing 2 sports bras. You can always start with 1 and see how that feels. Good luck with your surgery.

Finally planted the garden today. Lots of bending. Dh had already planted potatoes a month or so ago. We compost. For a few meals when we ate potatoes he decided to plant the potato skins that had eyes on them instead of taking them to the composting bin. The plants look fabulous and we will get a lot of potatoes for our peelings!

• wonderland
    Options

Today my exercise will be prepping for my routine colonoscopy tomorrow. I had a delicious bowl of blue jello for breakfast. Lunch was a delightful bowl of green jello. The "fun" all begins in 3 hours. 😜