Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Options

Comments

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,765
    Options

Pinkrules: Welcome! I was taking Arimidex when the generic became available for the first time. I was so concerned about taking the generic that I decided to pay the difference so I could continue the brand drug. Sorry to hear that you had problems with the generic. Hope the Arimidex continues to be good for you!

Ruth: We were one of the many states with weather advisories. Hard to believe your state wasn't.

Karen: I sent you a message with my email. I'm so sorry about your bil. I'm sure you and your dh are very concerned.

Walked yesterday. Today was a horrible weather day. Severe thunderstorms, flooding, and tornado watch. Luckily no tornado but there has been lots of flooding around. I packed up a few valuables and brought them down to the basement just in case. At one point the storm was really bad, the weathermen said get to your safe spot so dh and I went to the basement. Luckily we didn't have to stay long. I get so shaken up during storms!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    Options

Alice, I got your message and put your email address in my cell phone. I'll probably send it tomorrow.

HR still hasn't approved my FMLA nor has anyone responded to my emails. I finally found a form that needs to be completed by my surgeon. I scanned it to his office after work. If someone from HR/LOA would have followed up with me I could have had done this before winter break. I submitted my request for FMLA 12/08. I texted a friend all stressed and she said don't stress too much about it as they can back date stuff and then said, it's not like they can tell me not to have surgery! I'm so annoyed with HR/LOA.

I made mushroom barley soup tonight - it just needs to simmer for an hour and then I can put it in the fridge. I started too late at 8. I should have started right after dinner before we went for a walk and I showered. I was tired before, but even more tired now. Also feel like I'm fighting off a cold, or it's my sinuses acting up.

My left shoulder blade has been bothering me. Acetaminophen doesn't do anything for the pain but I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen but I broke down and took 2 and it helped.

It was 3F this morning when I left at 7am for work. I think it got up to near 40. 40 again tomorrow then 20 on Thursday. going to be sub zero in the mountains at night this week-end. Hope the sun is out during the day as then it won't feel as cold. It will just feel good to get some R and R.

• pinkrules
    pinkrules Member Posts: 97
    Options

Mushroom barley soup sounds so delicious! I dusted off my old Vitamix and now make a yummy veggie smoothie every day. I tell you, I feel so much better physically, have more energy. Here's what I put in it... organic carrots, celery, an apple and a few tablespoons of water. I recently added organic kale.

• pinkrules
    Options

Thank you Wonderland for the warm welcome.! I'm doing great on the name brand Arimidex thankfully. No side effects at all but I did experience in the beginning two or three itsy bitsy tiny hot flashes when laying in bed and that's all. LOL I'm 68 so it was an odd feeling but reassured me Arimidex was working even when taking it every other day.

• pinkrules
    Options

PS. Thinking about buying a treadmill now that the cold winter weather is here! I'm excited. Walking while watching TV is my plan.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,029
    edited January 10
    Options

Karen, I also am sorry about BIL. Those darn genes! Very frustrating about HR! A person has enough to deal with without having to fight with incompetent paper pushers. We are getting really cold this weekend too. Maybe you will just have to snuggle up and read in the mountains!

Wonderland, I was talking to my North Carolina sister when the storms were breaking out. We had to cut our conversation short because she was also heading to the basement.

Pink, a treadmill is a good option for indoor winter walking. We had one for many years (when it died we didn't buy a new one, because a wonderful community fitness center had gotten built about 3 blocks from our house which has all the equipment, a walking track, classes & a pool.

Here's the Wednesday Walking Women (Pink, 12 years ago a group of retired teachers to decided to walk on Wednesday mornings & then go out to breakfast….the group has been meeting & growing ever since). We like to eat, so we have to exercise!

• pinkrules
    Options

A beautiful group of women! The photo actually made me misty eyed! What a lovely inspiring tradition. Thank you for sharing, Ruthbru.

• karen1956
    Options

Ruth - your WWW keeps growing. Have you been retired 12 years? You retired young though I know you subbed for several years.

Thankfully, my shoulder hasn't been as sore today - I thinks it's chairs without good support. I need to remember to have hubby put Volteran cream on after I shower.

Pink - I'm thinking of getting one of those pads - a treadmill that doesn't have arms so doesn't take up much room. But then I really do prefer walking outside. If I buy one, it will be because I woke up one day and just buy it!!

We walked when I got home from work at 3:15, then I made the potato kugel. It was way less work than the soup and also I wasn't as nearly tired. I made two 8 X 8 pans and will freeze both. I will take one with us on Friday to go with chicken schnitzl. Monday, when we get home, I will make noodle kugel to freeze. I also have two different soups for the freezer - at least 3 different containers serving 2 - split pea and barley and mushroom barley with chicken. The mushroom barley can be a meal by itself. We both love hearty soup in the cold weather. Everything else my dh can cook. He is a good cook, but I tend to do most of it as I like cooking. But I'm going to be a good patient.

My surgeon's office is great. I sent them the form this afternoon and they completed it. I submitted it to HR. I'm being a pain with HR writing comments. I told them starting the 16th I will not be checking work emails and that if they needed me they needed to send it to my home email. Restrictions are no lifting more than 10 pounds, no strenuous activity, no long sitting or standing and no kneeling or bending over.

The weather is turning bitter cold and snow in Denver. 20's tomorrow in Denver and then into single digits over the weekend. Lows will be below zero. Guessing at least 10-15 degrees colder in Frisco, CO. We are still going to go up late morning Friday. We'll keep hikes short but I need a change of pace - especially since I'll be in the house for an extended period.

Making tacos for dinner tonight. It's really not much work. So best get busy.

• ruthbru
    Options

Karen, I retired 11 years ago after I saw how much fun I was missing! I did sub until the pandemic. I was suppose to spend the week in my favorite 7th grade American History class when they shut everything down. By the time things were back to normal, I was out of the mood to be on anyone else's schedule (although I still miss the kids & the school atmosphere).

Two of the walkers today are visitors from Australia….which is a long story!

All this talk of soup is making me so hungry that I have decided to make some tomorrow!

• wonderland
    Options

Karen: Goodness, I hope HR gets on the ball and approves your FMLA. Glad your shoulder feels better. This weekend sounds like snuggling weather. Have fun!

Pink: Watching tv while exercising on a tm makes the time go by fast. Let us know if/when you get one.

Ruth: Another awesome WWW picture!

Walked today. I waited until the wind calmed down.

• ruthbru
    Options

Hope you have a nice weekend, Karen & that the temperatures aren't as cold as they are here, where you can get frostbite in 10 minutes.

I went to Pound this morning. Then I came home, and as promised made soup (Cheesy Taco Turkey & Bean Soup…yum). I will now go to Dance2fit, clean up & go to an event at the Arts Center. If I already didn't have a ticket, I'd be very tempted to stay home!

• wonderland
    Options

Ruth: I can't believe how cold your weather is. I'm not prepared for that.

I've been getting my photos ready to send off to a company that will digitize them. Then I will be able to make my own photo books. It's a process but I've enjoyed looking at all the pictures.

Walked today. Not rubbing it in, but it was sunny and 55 degrees. Felt great. Tomorrow, the weekend, and next week will be a much different story weather wise with rain, wind and then cold temperatures (but nothing like some of you have!)

• karen1956
    Options

Since I don't work Fridays, my work week is done - and now I'm off till after President's Day week-end. I finished my coverage at the elementary school by my house. the SP there brought me flowers. I ended the day with a big IEP meeting that is not done yet. I was hoping to see the case through but I know the team will tell me the final result. Also, I have access to the sped program for the whole district! Very positive feedback from the parents. I told the parents I would try to visit while I'm on leave and they said their son would like that as he really enjoyed spending time with me - and I was only there 2 1/2 months. Also positive feedback from the staff. When I come back from FMLA I'll be at a middle/high school. The hours are later 8-4 which i don't like as much as 7-3. I've been spoiled as the past several months my commute have been 5 minutes where this will be 25 minutes. Just hope after work it isn't longer as I don't like getting home from work late. But not going to worry about it now.

I still have this cold. Hoping it doesn't interfere with surgery on Tuesday. I'll be really bummed if they reschedule it. At first I thought I was sinus, but so far I don't have a headache or sore teeth like I did last month. I'm worse in the morning and at night. When I got home from work yesterday, I felt pretty good for the first time in several days so thinking maybe the cold is ending. But by 7:00pm I was fading and felt lousy. I don't have a fever. I've been taking generic musinex and yesterday I took ibuprofen (which I'm not supposed to take) and it really helped more than acetaminophen.

It's going to be single digits in Denver S,S and M and below zero at night. Wind chills to 30 below zero at night. We will need to keep one of the bathroom sinks dripping so the pipes don't freeze. The news is saying to also leave cabinet doors open. The mountains won't be quite as cold but we will get more snow. Denver is going to only get a few inches. At least 8" over the next 2 days and probably more after that.

Everyone stay safe and stay warm.

We drive up to the mountains around lunch time till early Monday morning.

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 856
    edited January 13
    Options

Hi Everyone

Welcome Pink - I started and stopped Arimedex by taking half pills and building up to full pills…and weening myself off on the other side. That really helped with immediate SEs, but I did stop Arimedex after 3 years due to bone loss.

Wow, the cold out your way Karen and Ruth is amazing. Driving around today NPR was talking about the storm with examples for ND of -30! Yikes…it is high 40's/low 50's in Virginia with a strong wind and I am wearing a (light weight but still) down puffer coat.

The mid-week storm left a lot of debris, trees down, etc in SE Virginia. My little college town is usually so "perfect" but it looks like someone picked up our trash containers of leaves and sticks and tossed them all around…always so sad to see the really big trees (3+ feet across at the cut) felled

This is my first week back to 5 days a week at the gym/yoga studio after two weeks of only 1-2 classes given Christmas and New Years…as the one who hosts everything, I needed my gym time to keep me balanced, glad it is back.

"Enjoy" the cold hikes Karen…and know we will all be thinking of you next week with the surgery.

I've lost 2 lbs since the first of the year…would like to lose 20 total…5 from the holidays, 15 from lingering COVID bad behavior…good luck to me!

Happy long weekend everyone, be safe, TT

• ruthbru
    edited January 13
    Options

Brrrr…….it is noon and the air temperature is -20. With the windchill, it's -48!!!! I met a friend for an indoor walk this morning & will do some kind of toning DVD this afternoon while I am hunkering down & drinking hot tea!

• karen1956
    Options

Ruth - our weather is brutal! Stay safe and stay warm,

We are up in the mountains and it is 25 degrees warmer her than in Denver. We are at 20F and Denver is -5F. Not counting windchill. It was quite windy here today. DH and I went out later this morning for 1/5 hour and we were bundled up so warm enough but hiking was hard - even on the bike bath. We stayed of most of the trails and there were no tracks and we were sinking at least 6-8". We did do one bath. It just started snowing at 10pm so we'll see how much so there is when we wake up. If we can't do the trails, there are lots of places to walk in town. We will head back to Denver early Monday morning ( by 9 at the latest but probaby by 8) to miss the holiday traffic. Also it will give me time to do some errands and make noodle kugel and cranberry muffins - I just made blueberry but I like the tart of the cranberry.

Starting to worry about the surgery or more so after all the things I won't be able to do for 4 weeks. My cold seems to be getting better so that is good.

We are going to see our kids and granddaughter Toronto next month over the long week-end. It will be just after the restrictions are lifted and the day after my 3 month visit with my Hematologist. Our grandaughter will be turning 9 moths when we are there, two months since we last saw her. This coming week she will be 8 months. She has so much personality.

Stay warm.

• ruthbru
    Options

Glad your cold is getting better, Karen. Seeing your granddaughter will give something to look forward to post surgery.

Still horribly cold here, but thank goodness we didn't get the snow! I went to Barre/Pound and Yoga this afternoon.

• karen1956
    Options

It snowed all night - at least 8 - 10". We didn't even try the wooded trails or the bike bath as they were too hard yesterday. So this morning explored the town - sidewalks were hard as they hadn't been plowed for a few hours, so we decided to walk the streets. We did the same this afternoon. We've been coming up for 22-23 year and we alway hike the same places. Hope to get another walk after dinner.

It looked like a winterland today. I'll try to post pictures from my phone as it never works from my computer.

We lhave ots of warm clothes - we both have snow pants, Craig has farmer johns, and both heavy, heavy down coats. I layer under my coat with a think vest and coat plus a warm beanie had warm mittens. We both have a couple pairs of snow boots. I prefer my hiking style snow boots. Yes, were are a little crazy.

It's supposed to snow all night starting around dinner time. I'm sure it will be slow drive back down to Denver. Yes, they plow the highways but it still slow driving. We will probably be out by 8:00 - 8:30. We will clean the condo tonight and just have a few things in the kitchen to finish.

We are warmer by about 25 F degrees than Denver, but much more snow.

Tomorrow when we get home, I want to run a couple errands and cook a couple things. I have soup in the freezer which may be what I want along with scrambled eggs and smoothies with protein powder.

Craig will take food to eat at the hospital as he will stay will I'm in a room. Surgery is at 12:30 and will be 2 hours (or maybe longer). I don't know how long they keep people in the recovery room. To be honest, I'd rather not be in the hospital over night but that's protocol

• karen1956
    Options
  • ruthbru
    Options

That is a great picture of you and DH!!

• trmtab
    Options

Wow, beautiful AND cold…the cold is coming our way, but we are looking at the lowest temps overnight at 16 with highs in low 30's…that's all I need to remind me of winter.

Holding you close and sending prayers on your surgery tomorrow Karen.

Be safe, be well, TT

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

Gorgeous photos @karen1956 !

• ruthbru
    Options

Thinking of you tomorrow, Karen. Let us know how it goes when you feel up to it. We will be in your pocket!💓

Zumba tomorrow, Pound tonight. Very, very cold here!

• wonderland
    Options

Karen: Gorgeous pictures! Thank-you so much for posting them. Glad you had a beautiful weekend right before your surgery. Thinking of you tomorrow and wish you a speedy recovery.

I haven't walked much although I did walk on Friday. Saturday morning was Girl Scout Cookie Delivery Day for our Council (which is almost half of the state). The location is outside at a Farmers Market starting at 7:30am. It's always cold and this year was no exception. Luckily our Service Unit distribution bay was on the sunny side as opposed to the shady side. I wore several layers and did fine. Our Service Unit had 16 troops picking up cookies - 1800 cases (12 boxes in a case). Lots of bending and loading into cars, trucks, etc. Troops pick up more cases throughout the sale as needed but the Delivery Day is the busiest.

I finished going through my pictures and have sent them to be scanned. A big job but very satisfying.

• karen1956
    Options

We had a wonderful time in the mountains - just what we needed. Now the drive home was a different story. We are about 75 minutes from Frisco. It took us 4.25 hours. White out conditions at times, snow going, standstill at times, part of I-70 closed so detour. MY DH did a great job driving the white knuckle drive. If we could have stayed another day, we would stayed and enjoyed the mountains. The mountains got about 12-15" of snow - Denver got 2 or 3. Tonight it is going down to minus 15F (raw temperature). Most if not all schools are closed tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a long walk in the morning before heading to the hospital as I doubt I'll be doing much walking the rest of the day.

What do you bring to the hospital for an overnight stay? Toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush. I will give my DH my phone and apple watch to keep till after surgery. I have to take off all my jewelry. This doesn't bother me - but I've been wearing my late mother's wedding ring since she passed away. She had small fingers so I wear it on my pinky finger. I never take it off - when I cook, I take off my other rings but not this one. I will give it to DH to keep, but leave everything else at home.

Surgery isn't till 12:30 - Can't eat/drink 8 hours before surgery - trying to decide if I want to stay up late (later than usual for me) and make and egg and english muffin. Oh, I guess I'll see if a few hours.

I put my away message on at work - and I won't be checking messages while on leave.

Thanks or all your well wishes. I'll check in early tomorrow morning, then not before Wednesday night, depending on how I'm feeling.

• wonderland
    Options

Karen: I bet you were a bundle of nerves during your drive down the mountain. Thinking of you today and hope surgery went well!

Walked today.

• ruthbru
    Options

Hope surgery went well, Karen, and am looking forward to your update.

I am hosting my Book Club tomorrow night, so today I did some cleaning & made a lemon cake. I combined several recipes, so am hoping it turns out! (I'll do the filling & frosting tomorrow.) Zumba & Yoga tonight.

• trmtab
    Options

Have been holding you close Karen, wanted to add to the good wishes you would find upon your return.

The cold has come to SE Virginia…17 overnight, yikes! I believe Claire used to say…there is no bad weather just poor clothing choices (an old saying from northern Europe somewhere.

Off to Tai Chi at lunchtime. TT

• ruthbru
    Options

Thinking of you, Karen.

Here's the Wednesday Walking Women.

• coffeelatte
    coffeelatte Member Posts: 109
    Options

Hi all. I hope everybody is staying warm and safe in this very cold stretch of weather. I finally got out of the house today after not being out since last Friday. It’s just been too bitter cold. So I’ve stayed home and have been doing a lot of cooking. I also was able to find some nice exercises videos to follow on YouTube so that’s really filled my time and help me get my exercise in for the week.

I too want to wish Karen a very speedy recovery. I hope she’s home now and comfortable and being well cared for by her husband. The pictures Karen posted were absolutely beautiful. Up in the mountains in Colorado with that snowfall. It was just breathtaking. And as always, I love the Wednesday walking women picture their photos are fantastic. So I’m going to turn on the TV now and do another video. It fills the day and keeps me from being so achy. Keep moving ladies