Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Beautiful day again.  I love great weather and weekends.  After church walked a good pace to gym, worked upper body on machines for 30 minutes and walked back home for a total of 4.92 miles.  Ankle swelling is almost completely gone so I guess they gave me the slow version of antibiotic which I finish tomorrow.  Not itching as much either so the cream should help with the remnants of rash.

Ginger, take it easy but hang in there.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Hi, I am day one into a full-blown cold. I had too many commitments to stay home and wallow in my misery, but am soon off to bed. I did take a really slow walk and did 20 minutes of very light toning. BLAH!

Here is a cool saying I saw (advertising Under Armor):

There is no easy way. We learned that the hard way.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2012

Feel better soon, Ruth! Muir Woods sounds great, Kindergarten.

Joy, will have to make that trip, too. Did you go with your daughter? How did she take it?

I ended up not doing the big skitour. Yes, I chickened out. Stayed home and did Clean and Sculpt instead. Did do the practice runs off piste on Saturday while the sun was still shining. That was exhausting enough for me. On Sunday the forecast was for a blizzard. DH and DD went anyway and had lots of fun. DH was able to borrow special touring skis for her with furskins, so they were really fast. He took a video and you could really hear it blowing up there! Misswim, I think running 5K together as a family would also be fun! Still trying to get to 3K though. 

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Another gorgeous day here.

Shopped & sculpted - 4 heavy grocery bags and 50 steps to my kitchen.  Who needs a stairmaster?   Smile  I will also take my dog on a hike in the woods this afternoon. 

This morning at the market I spotted a woman that I worked with, co-chairing a volunteer group last year.  I don't think that she saw me, and I was hesitant to say hello to her.  We worked closely together for almost a year.   She was one of the first that I told about my diagnosis, before I left for the States.  Well - 5 months later - she has never called or emailed, zilch.   I was surprised at my reaction to seeing her this morning, like I had done something wrong.  Guess I'm scary cancer girl to her.  I have no idea what I would say to her if  I see her again.          

heidihill  Yes, my 13 y/o daughter was with us -   I was anxious about her feelings about being there, but we talked beforehand about it and she was okay.  At the tougher parts of the tour, she coped with it by tuning out a bit.  Although it was a tough day going there, I would highly recommend the tour.    Sorry that you missed the ski tour - where was the blizzard on Sunday?

ruth  Hope that you're feeling better soon. 

Ginger   (( hugs )) 

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Ruth, hope you feel better soon!!!! Heidihill, it was so beautiful at Muir Woods,thanks!!!Joy, I was thinking of you as you took the trip to theconcentration camps . I had listened to many family stories growing up. My father's side were from Russia, but managed to escape to America, before the horror began. HUGS TO YOU!!!!!Hoping to get lots of walking in today, and hopefully good but nutritious eating!!!! Have a great day, everyone!!!!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited March 2012

Joy:  I have only told a few people of my cancer diagnosis, but NONE of them ask how I'm doing. I think they are afraid of what I'll say.  Or they just don't know what to say; eg how is the cancer treatment going? That would sound odd, wouldn't it?  Years ago, after my first diagnosis I got so many different reactions. One woman has completely avoided me for almost 30 years!

Anyway ---today I'm walking with a cane. Nothing to do with cancer, just an "overuse" injury. I think I overdid the walking the other day. Not used to walking hills for that long (over 2 hrs) I usually jog instead I guess the injury  (probably a strain) is due to using different muscles. You would think I would learn, wouldn't you? But when I feel good I push myself and then an injury results. I am so irritated today. The pain started yesterday (even though the walk was on Wednesday) and now the whole leg is hurting especially when I have to bend it. 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2012

Friday II got the all clear after my hysterectomy, and the weather has been nice, so I set a goal to walk for an hour a day. I have managed that for the past four days, so hopefully I can start doing more than that soon.

• 1openheart
    1openheart Member Posts: 250
    edited March 2012

Started the Livestrong at the Y program today!  

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies, and special thoughts to everyone on the 'injured reserve' list.

got in a walk at noon then another after work.  DWTS starts in ten minutes!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012
    Dog walking! 20 minutes only, though, I slept in... Undecided
  • orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Had my two week post-op appointment today. Steri-strips came off and I got my prescription for resuming PT. PS doesn't want me stretching or moving too much, so I'm better off going to PT and have them monitor how much I do. Still have to wear the sportsbra 24/7 though for another 4 weeks, that nasty zip-front one from Champion. If only the shoulder straps were adjustable! I ended up safety-pinning the straps to lift me up a bit, and that's helping. I'll end up sewing them shorting, I think... hmm, maybe that's why I ended up bottoming out in the first place, because the sportsbra just didn't do the job properly for my particular dimensions?

4.5 miles running this morning, nice and consistent 10 min/mile pace, even up the half-mile hill to go home.

Hope everyone's doing well! 

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Anusara yoga class tonight. Love it, it is such a challenge and I find the alignment piece is helping my aches and pains so much!

Have a long power walk planned with my girlfriend tomorrow- 4 or 5 miles.

Orangemat, glad to hear that you are healing well.

Heidi, I don't think I could have gone on the snow excursion either! I hope you enjoyed some time to yourself, though!

Have a great night ladies!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Still knocked down by the cold bug; but did 30 minutes light toning & 30 light treadmill.

Joy, people are strange. It's them, not you. Hang in there!

Take Care, All!

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2012

Hi girls, checking in quickly

OK, this is very weird.  Saw HB Cheryl's post about shingles and then...three days later-I GOT SHINGLES!  What in the heck happened there!  I felt like a copy cat.  I got them on my back.  Luckily got meds for them and kept it pretty much at bay...but still...

Exercise has been suffering as a result, but I think I can get back to it tomorrow.

I am now going back and checking what you are up to, two things-saw Patoo's post, I'm hoping your ankles are doing better and poor Ruth, colds are miserable and when teaching, I'll bet you get the crappy ones from the poor kids!  Hope you are feeling better.

Back later

xo

Kim 

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2012

Joy, I know what you mean about the concentration camps.  I visited France this past September and went to the WWII museum in Caen which had a display of all Hilter's horrific work.  There were pictures in there that will forever be burned in my brain.  Even before he started the war, he was systematically eliminating physically and mentally handicapped Germans in "T4 Hospitals".  It was sickening.  I literally had to leave and go outside because I couldn't stand the pain.  In fact writing about it is even upsetting.  Later on our trip we went to Pere Lachaise cemetary in Paris and there are many specific camp memorials-Dachau, Auschewitz, etc.  I know it sounds corny, but on my bad days, I think about what true horror is.  

I know when Patoo went on her mission, she came back with a similar perspective about how bad things can be in other places.  As hard as it gets somedays, we are so lucky to have the care we have and to have our freedom and country.

That's my commerical for this evening.

XO again

Kim 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    The guidance counselor at our school just came down with shinges. What have you girls been doing? Tongue out
  • ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2012

The kindergarten teacher at my school got shingles too. She is only 24. Wonder why we are seeing so many cases recently?

• 1openheart
    edited March 2012

I hear they are really going around my community too.  I want to go get the vaccine.  I am only 53. I don't know if they will give it to me.  

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited March 2012

No shingles here (yet, that is). Sure don't want them!

Get better Ruth!

My father was stationed in India during WW11. The soldiers found out about concentration camps when there were shown a film about them. Daddy said many of the men throw up watching it.

Had a meeting tonight. Dh and I were able to walk/ran 2 miles at the park before the meeting. 

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Another gorgeous day here.  My allergies are starting to kick in, so Claritin to the rescue.  Hope it doesn't affect other meds though.   Will get in a long dog hike this afternoon, and a mat stretch session this evening.  

Kim  If you are a reader - Sarah's Key was a book written about the  Vel' d'Hiv roundup in France, during the war.  It was a movie also, I haven't seen it yet.   I also think about how bad things can be, on dark days.  

Thanks ruth and dogs for the perspective on "non-caring" friends - it's new territory for me to deal with others' strange attitudes.    

• heidihill
    edited March 2012

A woman in my exercise class had shingles a month ago. She is 70+.

Here is a photo of the ascent to Um Su, the peak where my husband and daughter went (without me). It's a very gentle rise so no risk of avalanches.

http://www.hikr.org/gallery/photo99882.html?post_id=10920#1

It was white-on-white though last Sunday. I will have to make it up there next winter. I won't do it with snow shoes and buy proper touring skis instead. I can buy them on sale now!

People are strange, indeed, Joy.

• heidihill
    edited March 2012

Forgot to add my exercise for yesterday and today. Yesterday for the first time, time flew by at the gym. When I looked at the clock I had already been there an hour and a half.  I didn't have to hurry anywhere, which helped. Today did an exercise class this morning and maybe some zumba tonight.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

Interesting development for me: Lately I've been going way up and down, day to day on the scale.

BUT, also lately, I've had something like the flu, I haven't been sleeping well or long enough, and I've upped my exercises. Add to that, some days I've had more sodium in my diet than others.

I've been researching this and any or all of the above reasons could result in this fluctuation.

(And I DO remember, for 2-3 days before my periods,that I used to regularly put on up to 7 lbs. of water weight. I could tell (afterward) that it was water weight and not weight gain if I peed it off. Anything lasting more than a week was usually not water weight. But still, 7 lbs. seemed like a LOT!)

I've talked with a lot of women and found this phenomenon VERY common and also VERY discouraging because maybe it ISN'T water weight?

So I found this very interesting thread on line (amongst others) and thought I would share it in case it helps anyone else with this going on now and then:

Why Do I Gain 4 lbs. After Intense Exercise?

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Dogs and jogs, hope you feel better quickly and get back to jogging soon, hi to everyone!!!!!!!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012

Did half a Body Step class and full spin class last night (times overlapped hence the half class).

How strange that so many of us have shingles, my doc won’t give me the vaccine says the horse is out of the barn for me as I had a full blown attack 8 years ago so when things started happening with me I hot footed it straight to the walk in, didn’t know for sure but I knew something was going on. Ruth and Dogs hope you both feel better soon. Heidi that mountain looks very beautiful but also very brrrrrr, I’d be with you sitting on the couch drinking hot chocolate and reading, but a nice bonding for your DH & DD. Misswim yes there were others there Jericho and Emma and Susan presented oh and I got to do RPM with Susans husband Steven and I think he might be in the videos. 

• 1openheart
    edited March 2012

Took a walk around the neighborhood with my sweet husband today after lunch.  Going to a yoga class in a bit.  Cooking dinner so all I have to do is reheat when I get home.  

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

4.5 mile walk with a good friend tonight. Had a great workout and a great time!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited March 2012

Busy baking items for tomorrow's bake sale. Luckily dh and I had time to walk/run at the park before the baking and before the distant storm that's blowing arrives here.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

I tried out a new interval workout for my "bounce" and I LOVE LOVE it!! I got so much energy from it that I continued on for another ten minutes - did 45 and feel grrreat!    Then my I did my inside walk/march/ice skate with arms and arm exercises -combined these days for my "inside walks"  Wink - 20 minutes. I am also "deepening" my Callaneticsworkout that I alternate through the week.

To top it off, I have finally been out getting my 20 minutes Vit D in this sunshine!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012
    My dragon boating session has been cancelled - not enough people. Frown  Maybe it has something to do with the cold wind that is blowing outside...  Ah well, just gives me more time to prep for my History of Photography class that begins next week! Surprised