Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2012

30 minutes elliptical this morning. 

Went to a "stride clinic" at the local running store with a team evaluation by a podiatrist, a physical therapist, and one of the store's trained shoe fitters.  It was great - we spent the first 15 minutes going over what I do and any issues I was having (I tend to have some aching knees after longer runs and some foot issues), then they have you get on the treadmill and you start running.  They had me run several minutes while they timed my stride, and checked me from all angles.  Then they gave me some tips - for one thing they said my cadence is way too slow - that I have to move my legs faster.  Not running at a faster speed, but runing at the same speed but using a shorter but quicker stride.  My time was 160 steps per minute and I was landing on my heels very heavily.  They want me to work up to 180.  I tried it a bit on the treadmill as the doctor had a cadence app on his phone like a metronome - I could feel a real difference with the new stride - I was running more upright and my feet seemed to hit the ground more lightly.  They also said I was moving my arms too much and that I need to relax my arms and hands.  They said it'll take weeks if not a few months to adapt to the new style, but they think that it will alleviate most of my knee issues. They gave me some tips on shoes and things to help with the foot issues.  It was an excellent half hour that I think will save a lot of wear and tear on my joints.  It cost $40 but I thought it was well worth the expense. 

Cheryl - Happy Belated Birthday, and what a wonderful gift from your friend.  Maybe the personal trainer can help you develop something to either replace the step class or give you some tips or alternate moves that would allow you to keep doing the class but not beat up your knees so much.  Congrats on the good 6 months appointment, Patoo!  But 7 years???? Wow - I'm counting down the days to July 1, 2013 when I'm done with my 5.  I would have to seriously injure my MO if she threatens me with 7 years!  Tongue out  Orange - good for you for splurging and hiring the coach with all the running you do.  

Sculpted Sisters shirt order link: http://www.customink.com/signup/r1qgnso Deadline is April 1.  

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2012

Yesterday I did 15 minutes stretching, 30 minute neighborhood walk, and 15 minute leg tone video.  Scale was kind to me this morning :) - tried some pants I had put away as too tight, and they fit! 

• Roan
    Roan Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2012

I walked 30 minutes this morning and 30 minutes yesterday! Today marks 3 weeks since my BMX with TE. Tomorrow I visit the PS for my first fill.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited March 2012

Way to go Roan!

Did the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago this past Sunday.  It was my first 8K race--and I did it in 54 min,which came out to be a 10.9 min mile.  For me--that is huge!  I find that I do run a lot faster in races than in my weekly, by myself, bored training.  According to this, I would have finished a 5K in 33 min...which before this I was at about 37 min.

This weekend I start my marathon training class, which will be 3 miles along the beautiful Chicago lakefront.  I am looking forward to it.

Did 2 miles this morning and found this app that I love.  Its free and you can download it to your iphone mapmyrun.com  I "record" a run and it tells me my pace, traces my route, tells me my distance etc.  Really cool for those looking to really monitor their runs and walks.

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2012

gonna walk a mile with Leslie Sansone tonight!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2012

Corinne - congrats on the 8K and your blazingly fast pace!  You go girl.

Roan - good for you to get out there after surgery.  It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Pat - congrats on the loose pants - I bet you were doing a happy dance all day in those pants!

I use the Nike GPS app for the iPhone - sounds similar to Corinne's app.  It give us time, pace, distances, records the runs, and even gives incline info. You can also select a music playlist that will play during your run.  We use it not only for runs, but for our mountain hikes and even walking the dog.  It cumulates all the miles, so it's fun to see them all pile up.   http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nike+-gps/id387771637?mt=8

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Roan- Great job!!

Walking another 4.5 mile power loop tonight. Yoga tomorrow.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2012

Good for your Roan!!!.

Today I went to the Mall, walked it, had lunch from Subway and there was someone like an Undercover Boss from Subway who was asking us questions. What fun it was. He was telling how Subway is on the healthy side and to stay away from the mayonaise (I love the tunas), he suggested turkey. It depends on what condiments you put in. He has partnered with Chef Ramsey so it was quite an interesting day. Tomorrow hopefully THE GYM.

Have a great night...

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies and welcome Roan.  Walked after work and logged 5.5 miles for the day.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday.  ((hugs)) to all

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited March 2012

Good evening all. Dh and I walked/ran at the park tonight. The weather was delightful.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Yea for the ladies with the baggy pants! Cool

Welcome Roan!

Did the FIRM 500 Calorie Workout, which is really fun for the first half hour & really torturous for the second!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012
    Welcome Roan.  Did a Body Combat class tonight, took it easy and marched instead of doing jacks and still got a good workout.  Patoo congrats on your good appointment.  Misswim you should be so proud of yourself on being able to do your headstand very powerful.  Mary seems your stride clinic was well worth it.  Ruth I have baggy pants but I buy them that wayTongue out
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2012

thanks for the app ideas, Mary and Corinne. Yesterday was a slow day, just walked 1 mile with my daughter. Then DH borrowed my bike, which gave me an excuse to take a break from exercising.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2012

hbcheryl - lol your comment about baggy pants.  over the winter I was down to 2 pairs of pants that didn't make me feel like a stuffed sausage.  This time as I lose weight I'm going to hang on to some of the loose pants, I hate going out and spending money on fat clothes.  I know the mindset is that you should get rid of them, but the reality is that the pounds always seem to creep back, and then I have nothing to wear to work or church that is comfortable.

30 minute neighborhood walk yesterday, didn't do my video last night Frown, the night just got away from me, 15 minutes theraband workout this morning

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Don't forget to order your shirts.....the clock is ticking!!!!!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2012

Having problems with knees and legs again, found sites on Zumba (from chairs). Classes look great!!.  Good for the Zumba Organization.

Hugs,

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

Hi Everyone! Does anyone here ever notice that less can be more?

Sometimes I overdo and when I lighten up to a minimum

- like 25 minutes light bounce (+5-10 minutes arm and strengthen-lengthen) 4-5 times a week -

that sometimes I actually have MORE results than 1 to 1-1/2 hours 5 times a week.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

I don't think exercise has to be hard; just consistant!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012
    truebff, I actually feel like I'm cheating when I take a day off from running, and then feel even stronger the next day. I know, I have issues.... Tongue out
  • Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Hi, everyone, wow so many amazing posts and exercise!!!! I have been pretty consistent with walking, bike riding and the gym, thank goodness, you all keep me accountable. Thanks again, Kathy

• truebff
    edited March 2012

orangemat, yes, that too. that stronger feeling after a day off.  For me, I think the r+r in between and after the exercising helps the body to restore and thus work stronger and better and more efficient. I know it shouldn't make sense that, *sometimes,* less is more, but oddly, for me anyway, once I am in a zone, it seems to often work that way.

I find that an important and valuable piece of info to share because, in the past, I also had trouble taking a day off or going lighter on myself. I was afraid I'd lose ground or my exercise ethic. Instead, it has improved and empowered my ethic to at the very least TRY and listen to my body and see what it wants to do. And some days it does want to do more and revels in its strength and capacity for that. While other days, it wants less. I then either rest or ask it to do a little and then stop. Either way, it seems to work with me better when I listen to its needs, wants, and energy and respond and honor that.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    I don't dare listen to my body, because it keeps saying, "SIT IN THE RECLINER WITH YOUR FEET UP AND EAT POTATO CHIPS!" Wink
  • orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

truebff, all kidding aside, it really does make sense. We're talking quality vs quantity here. I know this in theory, but have a tough time remembering it in practice. This is why I just treated myself to an early birthday present and hired a running coach. After the year I've had, I plan to be running into my 50s smart and strong and happy!

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

I am glad to read you posts BFF and Orangemat! I have been very consistent with my exercise.... powerwalking 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week, hot yoga 3x a week, and lifting 2x a week. I skipped my normal hot yoga class and instead went to a begginer vinyasa class tonight at a new studio my girlfriend opened. It was more relaxing than anything for me, and I came home thinking - oh no, I have to work out somemore. Instead, I checked in here, and you know what, I am going to let it go and RELAX! I have a walk planned tomorrow and am running a 5K on Saturday. So here is to occasional rest and light exercise days, we all need them!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited March 2012

YUM: Potato chips eaten in the recliner!

Have a good workout tonight push mowing the yard for an hour. The last 15 minutes was in the dark! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

mmm can they be salt & vinegar potato chips?  Sealed

walked after work tonight and logged 3.9 miles for the day. 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    Two FIRM DVDs equaling about 45 minutes of toning & 15 of aerobics.....now for the recliner and chips Smile.
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Yes, ruthbru, I actually did the 2-miler with Leslie but then took 2 days off (busy) so I think I will go do it again - a 2 miler and then hop into bed.  Good thing there's not chips around here - don't know if Leslie could beat them out.

Night my sculpted friends.

• Roan
    Roan Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2012

Well, I rested today, but also today was my first fill since my BMX with TE 22 days ago. My goal is to walk 5 days a week. I am planning 35 minutes tomorrow. My PS told me today that I could run in 2 more weeks!! I am not too uncomfortable fom the fill. :). I have a 10k scheduled for May 5. I hope I can run at least part of it. This time last year I was tapering for my first marathon ......I plan to run the Disney marathon (my 3rd marathon) next January!

• truebff
    edited March 2012

Hey, listen. I went down 50+ pounds from a year ago. And slow and easy is the equation that works for me. I am going to be 60 next month. I weight in the 120's now (at 5'-6-1/2") . (i.e. in the zone)

I love chips too. I love a good glass or two of wine. I love my life healthy AND in balance with what I can do.

orangemat, are we about to have birthdays together??? (except I am about to be 60!!!  it might have bothered me before. But after cancer, I say, thank you, God!) I also expect to be beautiful at 60!!!!!!!