Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2012

Laughing  Wonderland, now you can vacation with a clear conscience LOL!  Have fun!!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2012

badger: I will have tons of fun! Okay, I went back and reread your post about your GP telling you that you don't need iron anymore b/c you're in chemopause. Wonder what the reasoning is behind that. Thought iron was just as important after menopause as it is before. Probably connected to no longer having a monthly period. Hoping someone else will chime in.

My exercise the last little bit has been talking with Badger, eating a late dinner, and doing laundry. Still need to vacuum.  

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,527
    edited April 2012

Have fun, fun, fun on the Outer Banks, Wonderland!

Badger, I don't know about the iron, unless you were taking an extra mega dose or something. I just take 'Centrum Silver' so am getting whatever nutrients they have in there (I need a new bottle, otherwise I'd look on the back for you).

Had a meeting and then did an old, hard FIRM tape 'Complete Aerobics and Weight Training', with weights, a toning stick, and the dreaded 'fanny lifter'.

Joan, you are getting a lot of good advice. I would second the 'do what you can' advice in the exercise department; probably nothing will give you more energy right now; but keeping whatever activity level you can manage will help you bounce back quicker and better when you're done.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited April 2012
    Did a Body Combat class tonight but I was very torn as my favourite spin teacher was subbing in the spin room but like I told her - Wednesday night is my night to fightWink.  Orangemat it's at the bottom of the forum under Moderator Messages.  Badger/Wonderland you made me laugh out loud, Wonderland have fun on the Outer Banks.  Pat maybe your new cable company will have exercise tv there are tons of shows on that channel.
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited April 2012

Would love to walk with you on the beach, Wonderland!

We rented a cottage in a lake area for Easter and took a lot of walks and went on bike rides. Back home I didn't do anything yesterday and was at a spa the day before. Did Zumba there in the morning, jogged in the pool, caught some rays in the outdoor jacuzzi and had a backbreaking massage Winkand a manicure.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited April 2012

Any of you ladies ever do the couch to 5k program?  I've been looking at that as a way to prepare for diva dash in sept, which is a 3 mile run with obstacle course stations thrown in for fun.  Problem is, though I try to walk every day, I am not a runner, can't remember the last time I ran more than a few yards.  My knees are old and creaky.  Any non runners ever try this program?

30 minute neighborhood walk, 10 minute resitance band upper body video, and 15 minutes of classical stretch - love classical stretch for starting my day!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited April 2012

Pat, the Couch to 5k is PERFECT for people who, like you, say they are non-runners. Just be patient with it, and yourself, and you'll do fine. The key, I believe, is giving yourself the permission to run as slowly as your body needs you to go. Doesn't matter if walkers are passing you while you run, because it's not about being faster at all... running a totally different sort of activity for your body than walking, so you shouldn't compare. And it's all good. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, posting here or via PM. No question is too "annoying" or trivial. I'm happy to help you and anyone else out.

• janicemarie3
    janicemarie3 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2012

Finally getting back on track.  I just finished a 3 mile walk.  The new chemo meds the oncologist put me on made my face and scalp breakout from the sun.  So I have been in the house out of the sun all week letting it clear up.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2012

30 minutes on the treadmill & 30 Arms, Abs & Buns of Steel.

I get sun rashes on my arms if I am not careful. The only thing that clears them up for me is a prescription cream by the name of 'Triamcinolone'.

• orangemat
    edited April 2012
    Rode my bike today, first time in ages. Was out about an hour and a half, about 19 miles. Speaking of sun protection, I wore my new white Moeben arm sleeves which are specially made to protect skin from the sun. I really like the little arm pockets, work great for holding a gel. And the fabric isn't quite the compression type, but it does feel good to keep all the jiggly parts from jiggling too much when I run. ;)
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2012

pat01, I am not a runner though I'm "running" a 5K on Saturday.  I tried to follow the couch-to-5K back in Oct/Nov preparing for my 5K in February but just didn't seem to be able to get very far; I could not make it running more than 3 minutes.  I'm 63 though so that could have something to do with it.  I continue to try though and I know many have had success and become runners.  Do you have a partner to run with?  I think that may be part of my problem - running by myself is not enough motivation to push myself. 

orangemat, are you doing the women's half in Central Park on Sunday?  My manager (who went with me to the Disney Princess runs  FL in February) will be running it with 2 of her friends.

badger, I just recently read that post-menopausal should not take iron and when I was looking at vitamin supplements in the pharmacy recently it seemed the ones for Women 50+ did not have iron whereas the same brand but not over-50 had it.  FWIW here's something I just Googled:  Quote-

Approximately 15 percent of the body's iron is stored for future use. So in  the case of post-menopausal women who do not need as much iron as they used to,  iron overload is something to watch out for.

Iron overload occurs when excess iron is stored in organs such as the liver  and heart.  This can cause serious damage to both of these organs, and actually  put a post-menopausal woman at risk of heart disease.  In addition to heart  disease, iron overload can cause osteoporosis (thinning of the bones),  arthritis, diabetes, damage to the liver, brain disorders, cancer and premature  aging. Unquote

http://www.ehow.com/about_5422410_postmenopause-iron-supplements.html

Sorry for hijacking - Did 30 mins walk/run on treadmill at gym and 20 mins on stat bike tonight.  For my 5K on Saturday, hope to "train" tomorrow after work by running an hour in the pool at the gym. 

• ruthbru
    edited April 2012

This is about chocolate, not exercise, but I think you will enjoy it (remember we are talking about 1-2 ounces and the chocolate must be at least 70% cocoa). 

Taken from an April 9 Time Magazine article entitled Sweet Revenge: Chocolate eaters are thinner. Really....

"....the latest study to balance the health benefits and harms of the sweet treat shows:.....its fattening potential may be more than offset by its positive metabolic effects-which also improve heart health, cholesterol levels, glucose control and blood pressure......(the study showed that) those who ate chocolate more frequently had lower BMI....despite the fact that chocolate lovers consumed more calories overall and didn't exercise more than the others. Eating chocolate five or more times a week on a regular basis can translate into a one-point drop in BMI.......while chocolate may not cause weight loss, its health benefits, which stem from antioxidants, may help the body absorb fewer calories from fat, thus tipping the scale toward a slimmer physique. Which is not too good to be true."

• orangemat
    edited April 2012

Yes patoo, that's the race, the More Magazine Women's Half Marathon. There were originally 11 of us in my group who were running together (the More the Merrier!) but 3 have changed their minds, and one more is injured so she's iffy. Tomorrow we all go to the Expo. I'm really looking forward to it all!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited April 2012

I actually went to the gym ths morning and did a spin class, tax week is alway quiet at my business so I decided I could take a couple of hours off and go workout with my favourite crazy spin instructor in the am, the gym is so different in the daylightSurprised and then went back tonight and did 45 minutes in the weight room and another 45 minutes on the spin bike doing an RPM class.  Ruth trust you to find the chocolate article ,,, good job, think I'll have me a couple of squaresSmile

• badger
    edited April 2012

hi ladies, happy Friday!  Thanks for the info on iron, patoo.  Looks like my doc was right.

Walked 2.5 miles yesterday and also did PM yoga.  Have a good day, my sculpted friends!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited April 2012

Patoo, so interesting on iron issue, I am considered a patient with low anemia and hemo-onc wants me on it and like you I am  post-menopausal also 63. He also told me about dangers of iron.

Went for mammo yesterday and they said "your fine," gave me my flower and off I went. They had to redo one test, other than that, I won't be satisified until I get my results in the mail.

Ladies, I have a real dumb question. Even though I am a Zumba student, for those who run, how do you keep your new foob (if you have) from bothering you and "feeling it" when strenously exercising. I know after a Zumba class I have a numb feeling there.   There is another thread which this foob issue is the key topic.(Still Uncomforable with Implants). Also went for vascular test yesterday. Today an epidural. Sorry for whiney questions, you girls are troopers,

Actually have not exercised in awhile due to leg problems, however, always in my mind.

Hugs,

• heidihill
    edited April 2012

Pat01, I started with the couch to 5k but didn't get very far. Too complicated. I needed to concentrate on my body not on the time. I almost fell of the treadmill trying to adjust the speed. If you are doing it outdoors it might be easier. I stuck with the treadmill using the built-in programs for doing hills at a slow pace. Now I'm at a faster pace without hills. I haven't been improving in a while but at least I'm running. Never thought I'd see the day. You have to be patient with the knees. Rest whenever you need to.  After a while mine got the hang of it. I warm up at least 10 minutes and do stretches when I'm done.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited April 2012

Thanks all for your comments about couch to 5k.  I think I'm going to give it a try, and see how things goes with the knees.  Probably won't start til the end of April since we are doing a 5 day trip to Ohio in a week.  I think I read online there is an app you can download that tells you when to go from slow to fast - going to look into that.

No exercise at all for me today - rained so I couldn't get my walk in, then birthday dinner for son last night so no video, and this morning I just didn't feel like it Frown  Hope to get a walk in this afternoon, since I am going to a play after work and won't get a chance to exercise later.

• orangemat
    edited April 2012

Yes, outdoors is a lot easier than on the treadmill. There's a series of free podcasts on iTunes (search for "Robert Ullrey c25k") that are the best and easiest to use, though you don't get to use your own music. Best of luck pat01

Ronna, that's not a dumb question at all. My answer involves three simple words: bullet-proof bra. Yes, get the most supportive sports bra you can get to keep things from jiggling and moving too much. Also, keep the intensity lower than your maximum, it will feel much better that way. You aren't cheating your body of health benefits by working at a lower intensity. In fact, you'll get stronger to be able to work for longer, and even trigger more fat-burning than just cardio calories. 

• patoo
    edited April 2012

orangemat - "bullet-proof bra" - funny!  but so correct.  I have 2 of them and the rest of me may bounce but (I don't have foobs) my chest stays in place!  Have fun on Sunday!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited April 2012

Esther, thank you.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited April 2012

Well this week I have walked three days and a little further each day.  Trying to build back up after surgery.

Natsfan I did not realize I spelled giggle instead of jiggle, made myself laugh as well.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2012

45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin and 15 minutes on the treadmill. Happy Friday!

• patoo
    edited April 2012

Nice evening so went out for walk/run.  Hit almost 5 miles.  Resting up for 5K tomorrow but my shins were hurting so will probably sprint at beginning and end and power walk in-between.

Night my sculpted friends.

• badger
    edited April 2012

hi ladies, walked 3.1 miles yesterday.  Haven't done much the past two nights as a friend loaned me the paperback of The Hunger Games and I've been riveted.  Read half Thurs p.m. and the other half last night.  The movie is showing at our local theater and I may check out the afternoon matinee.  Good luck today, patoo!  ((hugs)) to all

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2012

Hi girls-

I had a bad day yesterday.  During a massage, my tech found a lump at the top of my inner thigh, not in the groin area, down about 2-3 inches from there-could be a lymph node, something else, not really big, but a firm,hard lump about 1cm, maybe.  It was deep, I would have never found it on my own.  Next, was being intimate with husband, couldn't, got up speckled light bleeding and it keeps speckling out even this morning.  Just dots like things got torn up in my "business".  Third, mother in law,who had bc a year before me, had bad mammo, is having stereo biopsy on Weds, for three suspected spots of DCIS next to lump site.

I sped up my onc appointment to Monday-it was this month anyway.  I'm hoping the lump-which seems smaller this morning, maybe my imagination-is from my recent bout with shingles and all the meds.  I'm frustrated by the bleeding and what I know is atrophy-I had it before I even had bc and arimidex-well, I'm sure I'm going to have to pay attention.  What bothers me the most is how much I just lose it and totally freak out about all these things.  It's not an outward freakout so much, but in my head I just feel like I can't take this stuff.  Maybe you all have gone through this and maybe this is part of the deal everytime something weird happens.

Anyway I feel half way like I haven't been trying hard enough to take care and half like how much harder can I try?  Mainly just sad and scared.  Sorry guys, I have to talk to some people that understand this crap.

Your twisted sister,

Kim 

• badger
    edited April 2012

Kim, sorry you're dealing with scary news.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  ((hugs))

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2012

Badger,

I read all three books in the hunger games series, this past few months, then of course went and saw the movie. I thought it really followed the book well. I can't wait for the next movie.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2012

I am back, sorry, I was gone so long. I got busy and was having issues with my 16 year old son.

I put my notice in at the bank,

after 3 and a half years there, I just can't stand the sales part of being a teller. I am hoping to get more hours teaching zumba at the gym.

I continue to teach my three classes a week , and also attend three other classes a week from other instuctors. I take a weight traing class on Mondays, but the rest is zumba, and when the weather gets nice, I'll start walking outside again.

I have until August to finish up my weekly herceptin apts, then around Januart 2013, I should get my port out. I can't wait.

• heidihill
    edited April 2012

Kim, hope it's just a swollen lymph node from shingles. (((Hugs)))

After just a half hour at the gym yesterday, I did a full hour today, including 20 minutes of Zumba. I left the class early as the teacher's decibel level was a bit too high for me. Also my knees were starting to hurt.