Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here:Only through October.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2012

OMG on the headstands, lol. I could never ever do that. I would be much too afraid of breaking my neck or back.

• Lagata1276
    Lagata1276 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012

Thank you everyone for the lovely welcome that included your words of encouragement! I won't push myself at this point as I don't even have my post op appointment with my BS until next week. My steri-strips are still on and everything appears to be okay, but just still so damn sore. I know some women have developed swelling from the lymph node removal?

The morning after surgery, I woke up at 4:30am and was watching an infomercial! I bought the 10 minute workout by Beach Body. Anyone else love Tony Horton? I am a big proponent of P90X.

Sherry - I have never tried yoga either. Something is telling me that now is the time.

Nats - that's hilarious, I got a good visualization of you walking to your neighbors.

Anyhow my exercise tonight will include some sit ups and squats with own body weight.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited May 2012

Ran 6 miles this morning with my GF to one of the hilly streets in town. Ran up and over it four times and felt good and strong. What a wonderful birthday present to myself today!

Hugs to all and keep on keepin' on, my friends :) 

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited May 2012

Esther, gotta say it, you must be young, cause no way can I keep up with you. Good for you,

Lagata, first walk after post-mast, I walked two houses from me and back. Exhausted. and Yes, I lived in the gym 4 days a week.

I am almost begininning think I should be a lurker here now, cause I just don't have incentive to do anything. Getting lazy,  Have to get back to gym, I need a push....

Love to all and hugs,

Esther and, Patoo, hopefully I will make it to Clark after Sunday morning's SGK event. Can't wait to meet everyone.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2012

So, after my exhausting day 1 of couch to 5k, after work I headed over to do my group workout with the Diva Dash ladies.  Let me just say it was very challenging also.  She had us do an accumulator circuit, which is where you have 10 exercises, and you do ex 1, then 2, then 1,2,3, then 1,2,3,4, etc..  Burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, torso twists, some cardio boxing Yikes!  I was exhausted by the end of them, heck, I was exhausted during them!  This time I just walked out the burpees, much easier on my back.  When I got home my son took a look at me and said Mom, go take a shower, you look exhausted.  Feeling much better today though.  Our next group workout is Saturday.

Thanks Natfan for the stride/knee tips.  On my list of things to do is to get new running shoes, maybe Saturday - there is a nice local running store near me. I took an ibuprofen and the knees feel ok today.  Today is a walk day, tomorrow back to jogging.

• orangemat
    edited May 2012

Ronna, I'm 50 today. I don't consider that young, nor old either. It feels perfect!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2012

orangemat Happy Birthday, I'm right behind you next month.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2012

Birthday flowers for Esther

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2012

Esther   Happy Birthday!   Beautiful flowers, mumito.  

Lagata  My first days of getting around after surgery were shaky too.  It was strange getting my equilibrium back, but it gets so much better in no time.  You will soon look back on this as a faint memory.   The lymph node swelling can persist - take it very easy with arms the first 3 weeks.   Good info on the lymphedema threads here.  

Have had a busy few days and it's been hard to fit in exercise.  Need some motivation and ideas to keep cardio going, as it's warm/hot outside and doesn't feel great to get out and fast walk/jog in the heat.  How do you runners do it?   I'm already pushing myself to get out there, hoping that summer doesn't completely squash my efforts at running.  

edited to clarify on lymphedema 

• orangemat
    edited May 2012

Oh they're beautiful mumito, thanks so much!! 

Oh good, Sherry, you have all month to plan how you'll be celebrating your special day! Better yet, you can start celebrating now. :) 

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes! I'm really not one for making a big deal about my birtheday, but this one seems extra special to me this year. So glad to have all that health crap behind me now! 

• orangemat
    edited May 2012

Joy, we were posting at the same time... for running in the heat, it's like with any less-than-perfect temperature condition. Try not to expend any extra energy DISLIKING the weather. Just be OK with it. So you're sweating, it's OK. So it's hard to breathe, just run a little slower, it's OK. Just let whatever you can't control flow around you, rather than try to fight it. Breathe. Really, that's all it is. I know you can do it. :)

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Lagata - between being deathly ill with what we now think was pneumonia, and having a BMX/recon in December, I was basically bedridden from November to January.

The first time I left the house, I walked the 50 feet down to the mailbox, hanging desperately onto DH in case I fell over.

I cried all the time because I just knew I would never, EVER get my stamina back. I was so tired of being sick and in pain.

Well, my surgery was five months ago. Eight weeks ago I started a medically supervised fasting diet. I've been losing weight. I joined the gym and my trainer gave me exercises designed specifically for my kind of surgery and recon, to stretch and strengthen what I've got, and to prepare me for my exchange in the Fall.

I can now do 30 minutes on the treadmill and an hour on the machines, just making sure what I'm doing is safe.

I have a balance disorder, and haven't ridden a bike since a bad fall off my mountain bike three years ago. But last weekend, we picked up my new adult trike (in Raspberry!) and have been hitting the bike trails near our home.

Flying down the path, breathing fresh air, I felt like Wonder Woman. It took me a long time, but my strength and my stamina came back.

Yours will too.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2012

Thanks Esther, I needed that.  Will give it another go and next time just be with the heat.  

Blessings2011   What an inspiring message - so glad that you're feeling like Wonder Woman! Can picture you on that raspberry trike  Laughing

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited May 2012

Happy Birthday Esther!!  Congrats on the 50 milestone!!  I have 2 years to get there!!

5 km walk again this morning.  Heading out now to start cutting the grass.... It has grown so long, so quickly, and we haven't had much rain still!  Calling for thunder storms tonight, so hopefully we can get the rain out of the way of the week end!!  Would love to start doing stuff outside - like fill the pool and get the garden ready.

Hope everyone is doing well and keep moving!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,527
    edited May 2012

Happy Birthday Esther!!

I must say that I think we are ALL AWESOME!!! Cool

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited May 2012

Happy Birthday Esther!

Did my hour in body-pump class this morning (weight lifitng) and only 20 mins swim (work early).  Tonight I'm going to drag DH out for a walk after dinner.

I read recently that hopping is beneficial - I'm trying to do a little hopping here, a little hopping there but I don't recommend hopping across the room.  Wink

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2012

Hello everybody and Happy Birthday Esther!

Walked/ran at the park tonight. It was 83 degrees and very humid. Ugh. 

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012

45 minutes 'Total Body Makeover' with Denise Austin & 15 on the treadmill.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012

Lagata, here is a booklet that helped me figure out an exercise schedule after surgery:

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/MoreInformation/exercises-after-breast-surgery

• Lagata1276
    Lagata1276 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012

Hope you had a great birthday Esther!! Great job on your run!

Ronna - here's your push... Get back in the gym and do a work out for me! I would like a back/bis day and some cardio. Thanks, LOL!!

Blessings- that is another visual I can see perfectly, you on your trike with a tiara and boots like Wonder Woman!!

You all are so motivating and reassuring.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2012

Esther- Happiest of birthdays to you! So glad you are feeling well!

Off to Boston for a special weekend with my mother-in-law today. 10 hr yoga intensive with Baron Baptiste- the man- himself on Saturday. Cannot wait.

90 minutes high intensity hot yoga tonight.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2012

hi ladies, welcome Lagata, and Happy Birthday Esther!  Many happy returns of the day.

Blessings trike story reminded me of a fave photo & story in a local paper about a grinning girl with flying hair at the Soap Box Derby.  Love it!

http://www.newberlinnow.com/news/129680593.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Walked 3.45 miles today and had yoga class tonight.  We were joking about doing Bikram (hot) yoga, since it was humid and near-90 this afternoon.  Even with the windows open, it was quite warm in the room.  Does make for limber bodies so I enjoyed it but I always enjoy yoga class.

Sherry, I know what you're saying about having to travel.  But you know, it's worth it.  And if we lived in a bigger city, it might take 30 minutes to get across town to the yoga studio.  My good news for the day is I found out the expensive health club near my office has a new yoga studio and they're offering a groupon - 10 classes for $39 - heckuva deal.  Anyone ever use those?

'night my sculpted sisters. 

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited May 2012
    I think I did exercise over load today. I am super sore and very tired. I took my first zumba blast class this morning at 7:45, it is 30 min of very intense zumba and 30 min of weight training, then I spent a few hours making up two new zumba routines, then I taught zumba tonight. Probably head to bed early . Hope you all had a super day Laughing
  • hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2012
    Happy Happy Birthday Esther. Badger I use Living Social, Groupon and KGBdeals all the time have never had any trouble redeeming them, in fact it's a great way to try new things at a great price. Misswim have a wonderful weekend, enjoy your immersion day.

So no exercise for me, minded a friends dog at work today, dog had surgery on monday and then stitches reopened so I had her at my office with her cone on her head and she sat on the couch, on my lap and then tonight discovered the darned stitches had reopened again so instead of the gym went to the vet and had her re-stitched again (my thinkng is the vet did a lousy job for it to happen twice) I felt soooo bad, so much for trying to be a helpful friend .....

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012

Happy Birthday Esther!

Tonight I went with some fellow teachers to see the Michael Jackson Immortal Tour/Cirque de soleil. One of my former Kindergarten students ( now 19 years old) is the lead guitar player for the show. It was so good and she was amazing. I am thinking I must have burned some calories with all the movin and groovin!

Late night for me. Only getting about 5 hours sleep tonight so I am off to bed.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited May 2012

Happy Birthday Esther!! 

Cheryl - that poor doggie with stitches coming out twice - I was thinking the same as you about the vet's skills (or lack thereof).  Frown  Ginger - how fun to see a former student all grown up and successful!  Ruth - I have to say I think you're amazing with how consistent you are.  The rest of us seem to have our occasional off days or lazy periods, but you just keep plugging away.  I wanna be like you when I grow up!  

2 mile walk last night, but it was down to the local Mexican restaurant, so that pretty much wiped out any benefit from that walk (and more!).  2 mile run this morning, so that helped burn off the chips and margaritas! Cool

Off to the cabin this weekend - I think we're in for some serious Garden N Sculpt! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2012

misswin your yoga weekend sound wonderful

Ginger sounds like you had a great time.

Did my 3 mile walk yesterday then came home and worked in the garden. Taking the day off of exercise to day as I am meeting my brother and his family for dinner tonight.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2012
    Since I don't do anything intense (unlike some unnamed members of the tread Wink), I have to make up for it by being consistent; plus if I quit, I would have a hard time starting again, as I have an lazy inner voice who would really like to sit around eating bon bons!
  • wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2012

Ruth: stay away from the bon bons! (Ok, maybe 1 or 2 a week for a treat Smile)

Push mowed for an hour tonight. HOT and HUMID! It's going to be a long summer. DD (who came home from college yesterday Smile)and I slow walked the neighborhood after dinner. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2012

Walked 4.65 miles today, and of that at least 2 miles was having to fetch print jobs sent to an errant copier by a whacked-out print server at HQ. 

Agree that consistency is key, that's why I love this thread.  I have to do something to post it.

Have a good weekend ladies!  ((hugs)) to all