Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2012

Missswim, the yoga training sounds exciting! I've started on two certification programs, one technical and one marketing....just having those goals is helping to keep me motivated and feel like I'm getting back into real life again.

Jenn, I know that moving-through-molasses feeling all too well. It seems to fade fairly quickly for most people....I was one of the unlucky ones, but hoping that B12 supplementation will be the magic key. Heading out to my doctor now and will also ask her about measuring vitamin D levels.

Ruth, good luck to your DH! My DH is very involved in the community, and people have asked him when he's going to run for mayor. His response is that he'd rather be an outside agitator. Wink We have friends who have run (some won, some lost) for city council and county commission, it's an interesting process to say the least.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2012

Pilates tape this morning.  I also hauled out the foam roller as I've been feeling tight, and lay on it to open my chest and shoulders.  It felt good.  My LE therapist also suggested rolling lightly on it to try to reach that stubborn area of truncal LE on my back upper quadrant that never quite resolves, so hopefully that did some good too.  I'd forgotten how good those foam rollers feel!  I may have to incorporate some other roller exercises as well into my routine.

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2012

40 Minute Walk!  I made need to take up yoga.  Any other ideas on how to destress and relax?  Running was my feel good pill but I won't be able to for at least a month.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,528
    edited June 2012

Jenn, with the precise way that radiation is done now days you should not expect ANY lung damage. I had rads, and on the left side, but once I had the radiologist throughly explain how they do things....well, then I didn't worry about it at all (and had no problems from it). I would talk to them about pneumonitis though as that seems to be what is causing your problems.

Belinda, I have an amazing 'Reduce Stress and Tension' hypnosis CD....it works startlingly well. There are a lot of good Cds of that type out there and/or I can PM you how to order this particular one (as I don't suppose we are suppose to be advertizing products here).

Cheryl, DH is not a tie person at all. He is a jeans guy, although he did dress 'up' by wearing a gold/yellow polo shirt, slacks and dress shoes (with his white sports socks....which I noticed after we got there) to the forum. I think it will be an interesting election. There are three seats open and 6 candidates; two really old, long time city leaders (really old like one is 84), two middle aged guys (including DH here), and a guy and gal in their 20s (which I think is awesome, that young people want to become politically involved). And our mayor is a young woman who just had a new baby....so I think we are in a good, growing place.

O.K. I am going out to walk now before I start my day (have I mentioned how much I LOVE summer? Laughing)

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2012

I had rads prior to chemo. Right after chemo ended, I came down with pneumonia. Even after the symptoms resolved, the x-ray was not clear. They decided that the x-rays were likely showing scarring from the radiation. Fortunately no ongoing symptoms, but I wonder if it also made me more susceptible to getting pneumonia, which I'd never had before.

• Belinda977
    edited June 2012

Ruthbru, yes, please message me the info on the CD.  Thanks.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited June 2012
    Finally the warmer weather is allowing me to get my joints going again.Yesterday did treadmill and weights will try to repeat it today.Smile
  • Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited June 2012

Heidihill - thanks for the suggestion. My vit D levels are actually pretty good (high 60's). My MO is really "into" vit D and has had me taking it every day since January :-)

Ruth - my RO was quite "up front" about there being no way to avoid a small slice (~5%) of lung when radiating the whole breast in women. I have to have axilla rads (right) due to the positive node and she told me that would usually mean a slightly bigger slice again would be hit. The slice hit will become fibrotic and will always be evident on any future x-rays or scans. The radiating of the lung is why there is always a chance of you developing pneumonitis after rads, which could cause more permanent damage. Rads has always scared me more than chemo!

Back to work today. This should be interesting... And there won't be any time for a walk except maybe if I can manage to get out at lunch time.

Jenn

• TriChick
    TriChick Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012

I am heading out for a 13 mile mountain bike this morning.  Should be interesting after a great functional strength workout yesterday prior to my teaching cycle (spin) class.  May attempt to post a picture from the ride later on today. 

Not motivated to run as much because it seems SO much harder than biking and swimming these days -- I do better running at the end of my 2 weeks just before my next treatment, so I am sticking to that plan.  I suppose mainly for mental health!  3 more Taxol treatments (5 weeks) and I am done with Chemo.  ONC said yesterday I can do my recon surgery 2-3 weeks post chemo so the PS is looking at late July dates for the OR....seems funny to be "excited" to have surgery.

Have a wonderful day!

• kestrelgurl
    kestrelgurl Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2012

Late July? That is awesome

6 mile run this morning, but s-l-o-w after last night's ride to and from TRX class. What was I thinking? The classes are killer, but I really liked the RO telling me that she could see that I was working out. :-)

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2012

Getting organized and back to the routine after company visiting.  Felt sluggish at first, but good to do Week 2 Day 2 of C25K, and pushed it beyond.  It's been cooler and rainy, but there was a really nice break in the weather for a couple of hours this afternoon, great for running.   

misswim  Yay! on going for yoga training.  

NatsFan  Love my foam roller too - so good for pretty much everything!   And because you're a runner, try rolling out the IT bands too - PM me if you would like details.  

Hugs ~  

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,851
    edited June 2012

Lots of activity going on! 

I walked/ran at the park tonight while dd pushed mowed (instead of me!).

• Neeners815
    Neeners815 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2012

Hello ladies.  Today was my first rads and my first REALLY long walk.  I got lost in Central park for 40 minutes, and in addition walked probably another 2-3 miles.  I am pooped, but 6 for 6 now in the walking department.  

Good job to everyone! 

• sandpiper1
    sandpiper1 Member Posts: 508
    edited June 2012

Yeah Neeners. I love to walk. Once you get going and it is a beautiful day it is so hard to stop. And you did rads today too. You go girl. I only logged 3.44 miles today. Old coworkers of mine have a challenge on FB this month to do 50miles each person. run or walk. Keeps me motivated! Not doing much else except walking, because I don't want to lose what little precious belly fat I have for my upcoming reconstruction. ;) I loved walking around Central Park when I was in NY...so envious!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2012

Hello everyone! Just a heads' up, tomorrow is National Running Day. Though I suppose it should really be called International Running Day, because why should something as wonderful as getting out and moving be limited to just one country?? And walkers qualify as well! So hopefully everyone can get out tomorrow and do a mile or more... or less, it really doesn't matter the distance... just celebrate being alive and able!

Neeners, another NJ-ite! I was just in Central Park on Sunday, I did the NYRR Celebrate Israel 4-mile race there, was a wonderful day. Then my husband and I walked down Fifth Avenue as we marched in the Salute to Israel Parade that afternoon. Busy day, lots of miles, even more smiles. :)

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Thank you for the encouragement ladies! It is two 6 day intensives and 5 full weekends and then in class time. There is a heavy reading list. I am going to meet the coordinator of the program on Sunday. I'm excited.

90 minutes hot yoga tonight!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012

Welcome new ladies!!

Walked 45 minutes this morning and did 45 minuted with Denise Austin toning tonight.

Tomorrow I will put on my pink shirt, walk fast, think of you all and celebrate being alive and able!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2012

Jenn I didn't have rads but I have had pneumonia and it takes the wind out of your sails I was fatigued for weeks so don't give up, it's slow but your energy does come back.  Getting lost in Central Park sounds lovely.  Trichick you are hardcore, you go girl.

Tonight I did a Body Step class and then a half a Body Attack class.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited June 2012

Missy: Good luck on your yoga teacher training. I wish I had the patience for yoga. Tried it a few times, just can't get into it.

Esther, I saw the news and thought of you when they showed the runners at the Israeli parade. I would love to have been there.

Zumba tonight, but will try and run around complex today since it is runner's day. The voices have started to bug me.

• NatsFan
    edited June 2012
    Did my 2.2 miles this morning in honor of Runner's Day.  Saw three bunnies, including two of the cutest little baby bunnies, so that was a bonus.  Also did an hour of "Trim N Sculpt" last night when we trimmed the hedges in front of the house and mulched the gardens.  Things look nice and tidy now - we're no longer the scourge of the neighborhood!  Cool
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited June 2012

Back, core and leg strengthening exercises. Gearing up mentally for Week 8 of c25k. Sorry, forgot about Runner's Day.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2012

Did an hour of pilates reformer - tough class that included balance work.  Feeling strong and stretched out. 

Today was supposed to be a day off from running for me, but I will have to head out later this afternoon in honor of Runner's Day. Laughing 

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2012

I've got my pink shirt on as well, ready to head out the door. Trying out my heart rate monitor for a change, hope it doesn't irritate my incision areas. It's been three months now, so I should be good to go. Have a checkup with the PS tomorrow, hope it's my last one!

Hmm, the readout on my HRM as I'm standing here typing this is 45BPM. That can't be right... 

• Belinda977
    edited June 2012

Natsfan -- Another Marylander here!

Walked 56 Minutes today for 3.7 miles.  When I heard it was National Running Day it made me a little depressed.  I just can't wait to start running again/working out with weights etc. 

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012
    Walked 45 minutes thinking about all my sculpted sisters out walking, running, biking, doing yoga, zumba, Body Combat, pilates, strengthening......moving, moving, moving.......Cool
  • NatsFan
    edited June 2012

Hi Belinda - nice to see another Marylander!!  As you probably know you need to be very careful when you begin using weights so as not to trigger lymphedema since you've had nodes removed.  You need to start with ridiculously low weights (like a pound or two) and work up very slowly.  Sadly, my surgeons did not educate me about proper precautions to take to avoid LE - when I was given the "all clear" after surgery to work out, I overdid it on weights  (and other exercise) and now have arm and truncal LE.   Frown

If you haven't checked out the LE section of BCO, do so - there's excellent information about LE precautions.  You may want to get a referral to a certified LE therapist who can evaluate you, take baseline measurements, educate you on precautions and what to look for, and help you develop a safe program for weights and other upper body strength exercises. 

With only an SNB you're at lower risk than someone who had the full ALND, but there are many many women who post in the LE section who have LE and only had an SNB. LE precautions are pretty easy to take, so why take a chance?

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

C25K week 5, workout 1, check.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited June 2012
    Weather was too nice so I skipped the gym and walked for anhour.Keep on Moving ladies.Cool
  • Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012
    Yes ma'am!  Laughing
  • TriChick
    TriChick Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012

I had no idea about "runners day", boo!  Oh, well  - I got two hours in on the road bike...it is SO nice here in SoCal this week.  WOW!  Still wish I could walk in Central Park though, sounds awesome!  I made it 2 1/2 hours and 16.5 miles on the mountain bike yesterday and cleared some gnarly technical stuff, what fun!  I am sure after that plus today's ride I am going to pay, somehow, sometime...but for now rest... and food!

Laughingoh and my recon surgery date is set for July 27 - exactly 2 1/2 weeks after my last chemo treatment....yay! Laughing

Keep up the good work everyone, I love reading what you all are doing!

"Denise Austin" is a blast from the past!  Is she still making workout videos?