Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2012

((Wonderland)) so sorry to hear that.  effing cancer.  Yell

Sending warm hugs instead of the cold rain we have today.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited May 2012

{{{Wonderland and SIL}}}

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited May 2012

Sending out good thoughts to Wonderland and SIL.

Went to Zumba last night - 1 hour, came home and a friend was walking around complex which is a large oval (1/2 mile one loop). She invited me to walk/talk with her, she was speed walking, so I did not want to slow her down so I jogged some and walked some.

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2012

Wonderland, so sorry to hear about your SIL. That must be quite a shock. Low sodium can be scary in and of itself. My mother had a severe low sodium episode a number of years ago, low enough that she didn't know what decade it was, didn't recognize me or my sister, and had hallucinations. Hopefully they caught your SIL's before it got anywhere near that low. Once they catch it, it's very easy to treat, it just takes a while as they have to add the sodium back very slowly.

What part of NC are you in? I'm in Durham, getting my treatment at Duke.

Natsfan, I am going through the same kind of thing with fatigue. Not sure if it's post-chemo or letrozole or both. It is so easy for me to overdo it. And sometimes the fatigue comes on apropos of nothing at all.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2012

Sending good thoughts your way wonderland.

So I get home from work yesterday to find a letter from my BS, and she has taken a position in California.  I am so bummed, now I need to look for someone new.  She was fantastic, both as a person and a surgeon.  Just when you think you have a great team lined up...  oh well, I'm glad she was here last year at this time for me, I was diagnosed June 1.

2 mile walk at lunch yesterday, and upper body video and 100 situps at home last night.  Classical stretch this morning.  Have a great day everyone.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,527
    edited May 2012
    30 of Arms/Abs/Buns of Steel
  • mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2012
    Weeding and Gardening better count because this morning is nice and cool.Perfect for weeding.Cool
  • Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited May 2012

40 mins of walking...fast.

• orangemat
    edited May 2012

Yesterday was running, PT and yoga. Today was a cross training day (i.e. no running), so it was yoga and biking. And now my left arm and shoulder, as well as my left hip, are all out of whack. Can you tell why I only want to run??

• badger
    edited May 2012

hi ladies and welcome Belinda.  Walked after work today as I had lunch with friends so no noon walk.

Pat, my surgeon took a job in another state six months after I had surgery.  I felt fortunate that he was around in my time of need.  He's in his 50's so at the height of his powers, lots of experience but not an old fart.  I didn't have recon, though, so would not have seen him again anyway.  But still sad to say goodbye to a valued member of my health care team.  Hope you find someone just as good or better.

((hugs)) to all

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Did a dvd called Burn Intervals from the "Chalean Extreme" program. Alternating high intesity cardio bursts with longer, light weight high reps interspersed.

My girlfriend came over last night and we did an older Baron Baptiste dvd. It was fun to do yoga at home with a friend!

Ronna- do you know if there is a Zumba website where I might find classes in my area? You are the Zumba queen on this board, so thought I might ask :)

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012

Welcome Belinda.

Walked on the treadmill for a little while tonight. Got sister off on her flight. Now to get back to a more normal/less eating schedule!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited June 2012

I was ready to give myself a break halfway but somehow I was still OK and made it through Week 7, Day 1 in one go.

Misswim, that CHalean Extreme looks very interesting!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012

Did my really old, fun Jazzercise tape

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

I decided to get outside and try the running thing.  I am on C25K week 4.  I walked to the mile marker........ then ran (jogged) to the next one!  That's right a whole mile.  (yay)

I was a little bit worried cuz my shins were PO'd for walking downtown in Chuck Taylor's Wednesday.

• badger
    edited June 2012

Absolutely gorgeous today, got out and walked for an hour after work.

p.s. just noticed we hit 11,000 posts!

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone!

I was here a few months ago but have been missing. Have just last week finished up 3 x FEC and then 11 weeks of Taxol/Herceptin.

Before I started I was power walking 3-4 kms each day but the chemo really knocked me about and despite my best efforts I was unable to do much more than the occassional pathetic walk around the block from home. I have also been trying to do some punching and karate kicks around the house to at least do something.

I've had pneumonitis for the past 3-4 weeks and today was the first time I was able to get out even for the little walk around the block with the dog. I was SO pathetic. My legs have lost all their strength and my fitness level seems to be "0"!

I am determined to get back to the level that I was at 5 months ago, so will be trying to get out there again tomorrow even though it's supposed to rain all day (it's winter here in Australia...).

Jenn

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2012

Jenn   ((hugs)) and good thoughts coming your way

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Jenn- I remember feeling exactly the way you do. Do what you can every day, and you will slowly but surely feel stronger. I am 6 months PFC and my fitness level now surpasses pre-diagnosis. Have faith :) And come here to us, we'll keep you going.

Heidi, I really love Chalean Extreme. I've decided to do the whole 12 week program. I did it once before, pre-diagnosis, and lost about 15 lbs and gained great muscle tone. Of course then I over ate and gained it back, but I digress...... luckily I am very disciplined about that now.

I like it alot because the workouts are shorter, with heavier weights, and the cardio is very athletic, lots of drills and intervals, it never gets boring. And there are two modifiers in every dvd so there is always a lower intensity option. It is also great that you can use a resistance band instead of weights if you prefer. I am a big fan of Beachbody, the company that puts this program out. They also do P90X, and the other I love, Les Mills Pump, but they literally have an in home program for everyone. :)

Speaking of Chalean, doing Burn Circuit 1. Then we are going to watch our son play drums in the band in the famous "Strolling of the Heifers" (yup, it is a cow parade) parade. It is POURING here but the show must go on. At last years parade I was 10 days past surgery, drains still in, and it was awful. Glad I am feeling well and will be enjoying this one! Have a great day girls :)

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012

Jenn, every little walk you do will help you bounce back faster. Sending hugs, the rest will come!

misswim, I'm sure the cow parade will be very moo-ving, rain or not Tongue out.....

Just had my pre-'race' oatmeal, sunny but cool. Even though I am just walking, I am kind of excited because I haven't done a group thing like this for decades. It's a Runner's World sanctioned event and a local TV station tapes the whole thing and plays it over and over again on a replay channel, so I think I better comb my hair and slap on a little mascara before I leave (probably not the warm up activities of a true athlete???). They'll give us a shirt, but I will wear The Voices to the venue. Love to you all!!!!

• orangemat
    edited June 2012

Have a great race, Ruth!

• badger
    edited June 2012

welcome back Jenn, keep at it, slow but sure, you WILL get it back.

Good luck today, Ruth! 

Misswim, today is Cows on the Concourse in Madison to celebrate June Dairy Month

http://www.cowsontheconcourse.org/

I won't head there today, it's an hour+ drive and I see enough of Mad-Town Mon-Fri.

Have a good weekend, ladies, I'm headed out for a walk soon.  ((hugs)) to all

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2012

Go Ruth!!! And you'll look fabulous showing up in your sisterhood shirt!  Jenn - I also remember feeling just the way you do and thinking that I'd never feel good again.  I've told the story before of my absolute nadir during chemo - I wanted to get a can of seltzer out of the fridge - it was one of the few things that could lessen that horrible chemo taste.  I got off the couch and walked the 20 feet to the fridge.  And stood there.  I could not muster up enough strength to pull open the door, reach in and lift up that can, close the door, and pop the pop top on the can.  I just couldn't do it - I was that weak and fatigued.  I made my way back to the sofa, plopped down and waited for dh to come in so I could ask him.  That was 4 years ago, and the memory is still vivid.  Your strength does come back - just do what you can when you can and be good to yourself.  Misswim - the cow parade sounds like fun.  And it marks a milestone of how far you've come in a year.  

I'm finally starting to climb out of the fatigue pit I dug for myself when I overdid it last weekend - went for a 2 mile run this morning.  Geez, I hate the AI fatigue! Yell

• badger
    edited June 2012

hi all, walked a lot today, over 12,000 steps, and may go walk some more after reading this:

Exercise: Powering Up http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7400_supp/full/485S62a.html

Love the last paragraph:

Breast cancer treatment can leave women feeling fatigued, depressed and powerless. Difficult as those feelings can be, they're not necessarily a barrier to exercising, says Jones, who adds that women are eager to participate in his trials. "Exercise is something that gives control back to the individual. It's something women can do for themselves that is not only likely to lower their risk of recurrence but also makes them feel better. It's very powerful."

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,851
    edited June 2012

Good evening all. Just got back from eating out with my dh, dd, and her good friend.We had lots of laughter which is good for the soul.

badger: I also really liked the last paragraph. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth: Please report in! We all want to know how your race was this morning! I like your pre-race preparations.

Thank-you everyone for your responses about my beautiful SIL. Her sodium is no longer critical and she left the hospital yesterday. She has COPD and 3 years ago was on a respiratory for a month. It was horrible. When she was taken off the respiratory she said her thumb under her nail hurt. Then the nail fell off and never grew back. She went to doctors and they really thought it was an infection. Finally last summer, the decision was made to remove the top part of her thumb. That's when the melanoma was found. We were all shocked. She had the entire thumb removed plus a few nodes (one was positive). There are so few treatments for melanoma. Her PET last summer was clear. No treatment. Now she was melanoma on her tender lungs and is taking a chemo that was just approved last summer for the disease. She's had 2 treatments out of the 4. While in the hospital she had scans and the chemo appears to be working! We are so excited!

I walked/ran at the park last night and tonight. Today has been refreshing with cool temperatures. That always helps.

Good night! 

• ruthbru
    edited June 2012

Hi All! It took me about three hours to figure out how to post this picture. Whatever they did with the new format; Piscasa is way different than before.....and I still can't figure out how to make it bigger without it getting distorted. GRRR!

Anyway, the Running of the Pink was fabulous!!! About 500 people total in three events: a 5K walk, 5K run and a 10K; some serious high school, college and adult runners, others were kids, and families out with with their dogs or babies in strollers. So there was a real mix of people in a festive mood and a gorgeous, sunny, cool (not cold) day. I had a lump in my throat when the gun went off and they sent us walkers out to the strains of the theme from Rocky. Partly because I was so glad to be alive and well and able to do this, and partly because the Rocky movie back in the mid-70s was the movie that got me and a friend into exercising in the first place (by a strange coincidence, that friend is also a BC survivor and indeed walked in the race strolling her new baby granddaughter). When we took off, one of my team members (a runner recovering from knee surgery) started walking at a pretty brisk pace, so another lady and I decided to stick with her, and we ended up coming in 7th/8th/9th in the walk (the only walkers ahead of us were teenagers who were jogging most of the time)...so pretty good for three old lady school teachers! My actual time was 41:02, which I think is fast since Esther said it would take 46-50 minutes.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2012

Ruth you are amazing, you did so well, isn't it funny how songs take us back instantly. Wonderland good to hear your SIL is doing well. Misswim hope the weather cleared it sounds like a fun parade. Welcome back Jenn it will get better, and we're here if you need mootivation (that was for Misswim and BadgerSurprised)

Well I've been good and I've been bad, last couple of days I have done my classes both spin and combat but I had "one of those nights" last night and finally at 4am I took a sleeping pill so I woke up at 7.55, thought well I could get out of bed brush my teeth and be 10 minutes late for class (gym is only a 5 minute drive) but I just turned over and slept till 10.30am and have just had myself a lazy day.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2012

Wonderland, glad your SIL is back home.  Sending good thoughts to you, her and your family!

I remember feeling the way you do Jenn, but know that your strength and endurance will return.  I finished chemo December 30, 2011, Radiation in the beginning of March, 2012 and I am feeling so much better now.  I am dragon boating and even competed last weekend! The ladies on my boat keep commenting on how much stronger I am getting.  Slowly but surely I am working my way back to health and I know you will too.  Stay warm this winter!

2 dog walks today + 2 hours of dragon boating

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the pic, Ruth. What a great time (both quantity and quality) you had!

Did some rowing for 3K yesterday. Ran walked 4K today, including week 7, Day 2.  

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2012

Walked for 75 minutes and almost 5 miles!