Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• nancyjac
    nancyjac Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012

I just jointed this thread.  It is so long, so please excuse me for not going back and reading all the previous posts.  I'm so glad to finally be able to get back to exercising.  During chemo, the fatigue just became too severe.  Then about the time I had multiple surgeries, I developed osteoarthritis in one knee, so even when I got my energy back, the painful knee kept me from being able to exercise much.  My oncologist referred me to an orthopedist who gave me a cortisone shot for the knee and now I am a major happy camper.  My emphasis right now is mostly on weight bearing exercise because I already had osteopenia before this cancer diagnosis and am now on anastrozole, so trying to keep from losing more bone density and keeping joints flexible.  

I walk everyday, a least an hour with about half of that being speed walking (gave up running as a concession to the knee joints).  I also do some strength exercises for flexibility and rebuilding upper body strength after surgery and radiation.  I also have peripheral neuropathy in fingers and toes from the chemo, so I do balance and gripping type exercises to  compensate for that.  

• my3sunz42
    my3sunz42 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2012

Nancy - welcome back! Sounds like you had your own personal marathon for the past couple of  months - it's great that you're now able to do some weight bearing exercises and walking. I found the walking very therapeutic in the early days. 

Got my 5 mile walk/run in again today ... I'm really hoping the exercise will play a large part in getting my mental health back to where it was pre-BC. As I get tired running, I remind myself that I'm not a victim and each additional step I take is proving that point.

Happy Friday ladies! 

• nancyjac
    nancyjac Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012

Thanks, my3sunz.  I've always done a lot of "cause" walks/runs.  Those are a big help to me mentally.  My daily walk/run time has also been a "me" time where I can just think about things when I walk...everything from what to make for dinner to the meaning of the universe.  Unfortunately with my chemo brain, I am solving the problems of the world while I walk, but I can't remember what the solutions are (or what's for dinner) by the time I get back home....LOL

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

Had fun at the cycling party, and also got in my 3 mile power walk around Green Lake.  Couldn't believe how fast I am now, most likely because ankle has healed.  Then, I got in more exercise as club prez didn't show up with cutlery, plates and cups.  I thought an easy trip over to the convenience store.....but no convenience store.

So a dash off to the "natural foods" place.  DON'T buy the stuff there ever.  Of course, I discovered on the way home that a 7-11 was next door.  So think closer to five miles of power walking as had to park car half a mile away coming back.  I bought lemonade to drink, as other stuff was on the "esoteric side".

Anyway, we all had a good time.  I ended up drinking wine out of the lemonade jar as too cheap to spend another $5 on 8 "green cups".  My tabouleh salad was a hit too, but liked the curred chicken-rice salad best.

Fortunately, the park police guy paid us no attention as he drove by (you aren't supposed to be drinking wine in Seattle parks).

Will walk today, but main exercise will be Sunday (not Saturday) when I do the Tour de Peaks.  Then the ride to Vancouver.

The most glorious weather right now.

Funniest was at the party when I mentioned how much more fun cycling is this year.  They were thinking a 2 year recovery, but last year really was trashed ankle.  Plus, nothing I tried professionally panned out.  Just painful all around.  So glad to be past that point.

And nice to be thinking of shoes beyond flats!  I think I will go for those vintage Maud Frizon snakeskins on eBay. - Claire

• my3sunz42
    my3sunz42 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2012

Claire - I just love your posts and am extremely envious of the views you have. I live in the land of cheese & beer where is pretty flat, wide open space ... they even snow ski on old garbage dumps here because we don't have hills. Thanks for sharing!

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    edited August 2012

Hi guys, hope I can join in here.  I began exercising on the advice of my oncologist to help recover from radiation and chemo.  I have become addicted! I never exercised before BC but have read a lot about its benefits to cancer survivors, so just like I take my Arimidex, I exercise for about 5-6 hours every week.  I joined the gym in February 2011 and now run as well as taking classes.  I always feel better mentally and physically after exercising. 

Tonight, I am off to Fit Boot Camp!

Have a great evening everyone,

Debbi

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

Nancy and Debbi: So glad to see you here! And glad you discovered the secret of physical activity. It truly is the fountain of youth!

I pushed mowed the yard today for half an hour. Dh used the riding mower for the remainder. The air is hot and humid. I had sweat dripping off my nose. Tongue out

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

hi ladies and welcome Debbi and nancyjac.  It is so nice here today I skipped out of work a bit early.  Got home, dropped off my car for an oil change, then walked for an hour.  6.8 km = 4.22 miles.

For motivation to move, check out the video embedded in the article our sculpted sister Mary Louise shared a while ago.  Exercise is indeed a "magic pill."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/11/toronto-viral-video-doctor-health.html

my3sunz, not all of Wisconsin is flat!  I live in the beautiful Driftless Area of Wisconsin. Cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited August 2012

Welcome Nancy and Debbi!

I had a fun overnight with my old friends (we've known each other since 1975)...calories don't count when you are with friends, right?

Got home; took a little walk & did an hour of assorted toning. It is amazingly cooler today. Maybe I can blow some of the crisper air to you, Wonderland!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012
    30 minutes run on the treadmill last night.  Eating too much, though, so I'm not making progress.  Undecided  Rainy and cool this morning - hope we can get some relief for a few days from the heat and humidity!
  • wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

badger: Have a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to hear about it.

Just returned from walking/jogging and need to get in the shower. Although I LOOK like I just got out of the shower. I'm dripping wet (literally) from the humidity! My skin is soaking but I feel fabulous. So thankful for the ability, knowledge, and desire to get moving.

Going to a wedding this afternoon in the foothills of NC. Maybe it will be alittle cooler there?!?!?

Have a great Saturday everyone! 

• badger
    edited August 2012

good morning ladies, I walked this morning with a stop at the farmers market.

Picked up some heirloom Brandywine tomatoes mmmm BLT's for supper!

7 km = 4.35 miles so far today.  Got to go pick up my car (oil change) so will add another mile.

Hubby's at an auction this morning so I have the house to myself for a few hours.  Going to put on some steel-cut oats and put in a yoga DVD and do that while breakfast cooks.  Happy Saturday!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

Great, easy summertime suggestions, I will copy your day next week. It is horribly hot and humid here, though, longing for some dry air.

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    edited August 2012

Still VERY Hot and HUMID here, but Saturday is a big exercise day for me.  So, got in a 5 mile run and a Toning/Yoga class at the gym.  Now I have to work the rest of the day Frown.

Debbi

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

FIRM Cardio Dance Party and 30 minutes of toning.

Happy Saturday, All!!

• SusannahW
    edited August 2012

Ruth, is cardio dance party a DVD? Sounds fun

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

Gorgeous here and off to do an easy 20 miles as a warm up for tomorrow's 50 miler.  Plus, think will get in walking too as want to get some makeup help from Lizzie, see the new Target, and then the art exhibition at the wine bar.  Speaking of which, I was so glad I dropped by yesterday to celebrate one of the regular's b-day.  The funniest was toasting her with champagne, yet to be released, that we had to drink from owl mugs!

So lemonade jar one night and owl mug the next.  My o my!!!  (New champagne is really delish BTW.)

I LOVE brandywine tomatoes, and probably will find at Pike Place Market.  Thinking some sort of fish for dinner.

My big score yesterday was a pair of black Ann Demeulmeester wool slacks for $19 at the resale shop.  They had been marked down, as more a German size than an Italian one.  So a 8-10, not a 4-6 for a Size 40.  Anyway, uber cool as cropped and button below the knees.  They showcase all my hard work exercising!  A major steal as worn perhaps twice and would sell in the $700-$800 range brand new.  Can't wait to wear them (fall item).

Leaving the resale shop, I noticed the shoulders and arms of a cyclist going by, and then realized that MINE ARE THE SAME.  So answer to "changes in my body post cancer treatment" is "yes, I am much more athletic looking now"!

Off cycling as a fun day ahead.  Got the ironing out of the way, so caught up on that fun stuff. Plus, figured out how to rock my resale find. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Cardio Dance Party is from a really fun FIRM DVD called Total Body Makeover. Besides that workout it also includes:

Total Body Time Crunch 25 minutes, cardio and weights

Sculpt-ilates Express 30 minutes, pilate-like exercises with a toning band included with the DVD

Hard Core Fushion Express 30 minutes, aerobics and weight training

I got my DVD at Walmart, but I'm sure you could find it online www.firmdirect.com is the website for FIRM products.

• SusannahW
    edited August 2012

Thanks ruth! Sounds perfect. I find I do best with home exercise dvds, rather than classes-I can just fit them in to suit my schedule. Thanks for taking the time to give me the details, I'll get a'ordering.

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2012

It's a beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest and I was jonesing for a long bike ride (I think Claire had something to do with that Wink 

I picked the Green Valley Road, a twisy, curvy road, dotted with idyllic farms in the shadow of Mt Rainier.  I was riding along enjoying the horse farms when I ran over a chunk of blackberry bush. I thought, "I should stop and check my tires." I inspected both tires and found a thorn stuck in the front tire. Next, I thought, "If I pull this thorn out, I wonder if the air will come out....psssssssss....ok, answers that question." 

So now, I have a punctured tire losing air and I'm racing back to the park and ride. Four miles...three miles...will I make it...At this point I am not stopping for anything, my lymphedemic left arm is screaming at me, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME YOU CRAZY &%$#@!...two miles...one mile...the park and ride is in sight...I made it!!!  

Now I have to take my bike in to get the inner tube changed. Lesson learned, I should have been watching for obstructions in the road, I should have bought some Continental Gatorskins when I had the chance. More importantly, I should learn how to change a bike inner tube.

And that's my exercise for today. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

Congrats on making it back!  I know the Green River Road.....just gorgeous.  I did the ride up to Flaming Geyser Park back in the spring.  Sometimes I do group rides up to Black Diamond, coming back to Auburn that route.  I have Gatorskins on my road bike and Kevlars on my hybrid.

Another thing with tires is to make sure you have them well inflated.  You are asking for trouble like this if underinflated.

Guess how I learned this????

The other one is keeping your eyes peeled on the road, not just for things for glass, tacks, rocks, blackberries etc, but also for potholes.

Anyway, get everything fixed up, and you should be fine.  I have a tube and inflater gizmo with me.  Usually, I go to the bike shop though as find paying someone else $5-10 to do the dirty work is money well spent.

Since really warm here, I am packing my swimsuit in the AM to cool off after the cycling event.  But Lake Washington, not the North Fork of the Snoqualmie (ice water as glacier/snow fed).

Just the most glorious early evening here.  But will wait another hour or so to eat as will be cooler then.  I have sausages I bought (believe it or not) at the exotic meats place along the Green River Road, and fresh romano beans.  Think a tomato, basil and cucumber salad, and farro.

Then an early night so I am fresh for the Tour de Peaks in the AM. 

I must do the Green River Road again.....so gorgeous.  However, will watch out for those bicycle tire eating blackberry canes :) - Claire

• badger
    edited August 2012

Read this piece titled "Run For Your Life" in this morning's WI State Journal and had to share.  Couldn't find it at their site or the Washington Post but here it is from Lincoln NE.

http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/editorial/columnists/kathleen-parker-run-for-your-life/article_3f871fa1-f9e2-5db4-852a-cd0e11498ca0.html

Anyone catch the meteor showers last night? 

Cool and overcast here this morning.  Bad for shooting stars but good for hiking.

BLT's were fabulous with Brandywines and local bacon & lettuce.  Happy Sunday!

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Sitting on the beach at Watch Hill, RI, recovering from the ooph.... A little beach walk will be it for me!!!Still very sore, had zome complications. Tried to go back to work the next day.....bad idea!!! Paying for it now. On vacation the whole week....

• badger
    edited August 2012

((misswim))

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited August 2012

On vacation this week - walking and city touring in Oslo, Norway and it's been fab weather so far.   Tomorrow we take the train to Bergen, head for a fjord and will get in some hiking, looking forward to great scenery.  

Hugs, misswim.  Hope for fast healing for you.  

nibbana  Whew - good bike story and you made it just in time!  Hope the LE behaves.   

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

Finally recovered from my knee surgery and at long last joined a gym!! This begins my commitment to fitness.  Today I walked 1 1/2 miles with my neighborhood, then did 10 min on elliptical and 15 min on bike.  Baby steps!!  Appt with trainer on Thur to concentrate on leg and hip strenthening excerises to further my rehab!

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

oops with my neighbor in the neighborhood :-)

• misswim
    edited August 2012

Babysteps are great!!!!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012
    15 minutes Buns of Steel and 45 on the treadmill because I was watching the Olympics and couldn't tear myself away anad go outside!
  • misswim
    edited August 2012

Ended up walking about 2.5 miles on the beach. It was lovely, but tiring. Nap time now!