Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,533
    edited August 2012

Welcome Kay! I did chemo & rads. I actually felt my energy coming back during rads. I walked briskly and toned on a pretty normal schedule. But, everyone is different, so listen to your body. I would say, though, that even if you do get tired, still keep moving at whatever level you can. Exercise has been shown to reduce fatigue and, of course,  if you keep up a level of fitness, it will help you bounce back faster once you are done.

My day got away from me. I ended up doing 45 minutes on the treadmill at 10:30 pm....a little too late for that kind of thing!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

Hi Kay.......I didn't get any real fatigue from rads until about Week 4, when I suddenly felt an energy dip.  So dragged around and onto my bicycle anyway.  I did a 45 mile event on each of the two weekends immediately following.  Then I continued to train without a lot of enthusiasm.  Energy came back about 3.5 weeks after I finished so I was able to cycle the Seattle-to-Portland w/i six weeks.

Everyone is different, but I found myself dragging as opposed to being really non functioning at the end of rads.  I still get those days, but that excuse is long gone.  For instance, I dragged a bit today as hot, and had a deadline, so late evening, early AM.  Think I blew out my brain figuring out a research technique at 7 AM!  As was a late evening at the opera this evening and I had a light day after the deadline was over, I did take a nap.

I did about 2.5 miles of walking today on top of my weights/crunches.  This included dragging back two huge bottles of flavored seltzer back from the store (it's actually hot here, so hydrating extra).  Plus FREE ice cream which I think I will sample.

Something about vanilla bean extra premium hitting the spot. - Claire

• nancyjac
    nancyjac Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012

I've been a little frustrated with my exercise routine the last few days.  I like to get outside and walk at least an hour/day.  But it is the dog days of August here in Texas.  I tolerate the heat and humidity pretty well but there is something in the air right now that is messing with my sinuses and giving me hives.  I end up with a sinus headache and a sore throat because my nose gets so blocked up I end up mouth breathing.  I hate to have to add allergy meds to everything else I am taking and I hate to have to stay indoors to exercise.  I hate treadmills.   I know, I know, I'm just whining now...LOL.  Guess I'll focus more on some indoor strength and flexibility exercise for now.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Nandy - You're not whining at all - you're still only a few months out of active treatment, and you're on AIs, so your body isn't able to deal with other stressors like heat and allergies as well as it used to.  From my experience, recovery isn't a straight line process - sometimes it's one step forward, 2 or 3 steps back.  Listen to your body and do what you can - a change of pace doing some indoor flexibility stuff might just be the ticket for a bit. 

Have you tried any Pilates?  I have a great 20 minutes Pilates program I downloaded from Exercise TV that I really like.  Sadly, Exercise TV is no more, but if you have cable you may be able to find it on your On Demand channel. It's Nicole Stewart's 20 minute Pilates workout. It's a quick 20 minutes and it doesn't exhaust you.  When I first did I thought it was almost too easy and hadn't done much good.  Then the next day I really felt it in my abs and core, and realized how effective it had been!  I kept doing it and after several weeks realized I'd built up good core strength.  I've been doing it for years now, and it still works because as I've gotten stronger, I can put more into the form of each exercise and still get a good core workout.   If you can't find that one, there are tons of other Pilates videos.  Something like that might be just the change of pace you need to get through this blah phase.

• nancyjac
    edited August 2012

Thanks so much for that reminder Mary.  I know that of course, but sometimes I just get frustrated and forget (along with forgetting a bunch of other stuff due to chemo brain).  

I use to be a Pilates instructor actually and it is still one of my favorites.  It is the best for the core and it sure is a lot less boring than crunches.

• NatsFan
    edited August 2012

Well, duh, Mary - I guess Nancy knows about about Pilates!!!  Sealed  

And I bet as an instructor you were much less annoying than Nicole Stewart - it's great workout, but her voice used to drive me right up the wall!!  I guess over the years I've learned to tune it out . . .

• Idahogirl
    Idahogirl Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2012

Hi everyone, I am new to this discussion but have been reading your inspiring posts. I am 69 and have some arthritis, but having been walking about half an hour a day plus other things like mowing my large lawn etc. I am determined to step it up a notch, especially since starting anastrozole a couple of months ago. Exercise makes me feel so much better physically and mentally. I really notice a difference if I don't get around to it. Thanks again for the inspiration and motivational posts.:)

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

I worked a long day Tues and couldn't find it in myself to exercise after work.  My recently new total knee replacement had my leg talking to me after being on it all day.  I did bike over three miles last night, and I am meeting the trainer this afternoon to focus on quad strengthening exercises.  I am having trouble with either my calf muscle, hamstring or quads tightening on the my leg with the knee replacement.  Might be time for a massage again.  I need to pay more attention to stretching before and after exercising! 

• nancyjac
    edited August 2012

LOL@Mary....only because I didn't talk a lot during class.

Hi and welcome Idahogirl  We have a lot in common.  I'm 64, recently diagnoses osteoarthritis in my knee, and I walk daily too.  And I definitely agree that exercise is a feel good activity, physically and mentally.  

@oceanbreezes.....most definitely re the stretching.  You are naturally trying to take the strain off the new knee replacement, which means more work on the surrounding muscles.  Strengthening those muscles is a good thing, but you do need to be especially kind to them with pre and post exercise stretching.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

I have been on vacation all week. Tons of walking on the beach and swimming in the ocean, and not much else. I am still a week away from being released by the gyn onc to more strenuos exercise. I may try a yoga class tomorrow if I am up to it.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Welcome, Idaho!

Worked at school all day (got lots of exercising in going up and down, up and down, the stairs to the office), then walked for an hour and did 45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin. It has been much cooler here the last few days; that has been very refreshing!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

hi ladies and welcome Idahogirl.

It's been cool here too so walked for an hour after supper last night.   6.55 km = 4.07 mi.

Happy Friday!

• NatsFan
    edited August 2012

2 mile walk last night, 30 minute run this morning.  I'm enjoying the break from 100+ degree temps!  Weather to heat up today, but storms tonight should clear out the heat and humidity for a nice weekend. 

• nancyjac
    edited August 2012

So I'm thinking of adding tai chi to my exercise repertoire.  Does anybody else practice this?  Any suggestions for good web sites, videos, etc?

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited August 2012

I've always wanted to try Tai Chi. I've always wished they would do open sessions in the park like you see in China. But that may be Qigong. I don't really know the difference. They both sound good.

I haven't done any exercise today. But may still get some later. Really impressed with your treadmill session at 10.30 pm one evening, Ruth. That is commitment.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

It's that dang notebook where I 'have to' check off the exercises I do!

We did free Tai Chi in the park when we were in Chicago. I though it was boring, but badger said we had a bad instructor.

• badger
    edited August 2012

hey Ruth, it was Cheryl who said that, she's done tai chi but I have not.  I think I would like it but the instructor didn't connect with the crowd the way the yoga and zumba teachers did.

Took a half-day vacation as it is absolutely gorgeous here today.  Headed out for a walk soon.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Worked, walked, toned, got a haircut and a spray tan (need to be able to be able to wear my skorts and sleeveless tops for the first hot days of school in my room that has neither air conditioning nor windows!).

Speaking of Cheryl.....where are you???

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

Cheryl: Where are you?

Ruth: I like your plan of action for the first day of school!

Good evening everyone.

I'm about to leave the house for a walk/jog. It's cloudy but much cooler this evening.

My milestone: I swallowed my last Arimidex pill this morning. I'm glad/scared. I'm sure those of you on hormonals can relate! 

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Congratulations, Wonderland. I am 17 days behind you (not that I'm counting!).

• badger
    edited August 2012

hi ladies, congrats on being done/almost done with Arimidex.  Cheryl is house-sitting someplace without internet access.  I missed her too, so e-mailed her yesterday.  She'll be back.  Cool

Walked for 90 minutes this afternoon so today's mileage is 10.2 km = 6.34 miles.

Tomorrow's plans are farmers market early then headed to Wyalusing State Park to hike and commune with nature.  Then up the road to historic Villa Louis. 

Have a good weekend, everyone!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Denise Austin is 55 years old!

• Idahogirl
    Idahogirl Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2012

Ladies, you are all amazing!!  I walked for 1 hour at the botanical garden in Boise, Idaho this morning.  Decided that was enough for today except for a little shopping.  We have had a lot of smoke from the forest fires near our area, so I have to decide lately whether to walk indoors or outside. 

I will be helping one of my sons move and clean his house this weekend, and I am sure that will be a workout of a different sort.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

I walked three miles today, and did some shopping (escaping Hempfest where the main stage is w/i earshot).  Off in the early AM for Vancouver BC.  Packing tons of energy potions.  Fortunately should be highs in the 70s tomorrow and Sunday.

Taking my camera along to record new places and new sights.

Expect to be CRAWLING by Monday.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited August 2012

Good luck in Vancouver, Claire! Envious of your going but not of the crawling.Wink

Congrats, Wonderland! LOL, Ruth on not counting the days! On Monday I say goodbye to Femara after 4.5 years and hello to Tamoxifen. My bones should be much happier. The nice thing is that I haven't burnt any bridges and can always go back to Femara. 

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Claire, good luck!

Heidi-Tamoxifen is pretty tolerable. I had a hard time in the beginning but feel that exercise (surprise?!) makes such a difference with side effects.

It is our last day of vacation and I am off to yoga...my incisions are pretty well healed but I am going to be careful with ab work just in case.

Ruth-Denise is one hot mama! 55, never would have thunk it.She looks amazing!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

Wonderland, yay for you starting your arimidex! I'm due to start femora on 9-1. Ruth has advised me to stay busy that day. Please keeps posted.

Rainy here today, hoping it clears up in time for a nice walk. May have to dust off my Exercycle and pedal for a while.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

SusannahW: Yesterday I took my LAST Arimidex, not my first. Now I'm anxious to see if some of my se will leave. Hoping they will! 

Ruth: Now 16 days and counting!

I pushed mowed for over an hour today. Sweat was dripping off nose within 10 minutes. Now I'm sitting inside relaxing and enjoying myself.

Have a great Saturday everyone! 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2012

misswim- sorry I missed you on vacation and we did not get to meet up. Congrats on your healing.

My fibromyalgia/femara is acting up and my joints and muscles are so sore.I have been having trouble sleeping due to the pain.  I have not been exercising as much due to this but am realizing that I need to get moving to make it get better. I will try to get out for a walk if this rain lets up.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

Wonderland-even better! Wish I were in your place.