Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Ginger! I had terrible service and no internet and did not get your message until the evening of the day you were in Watch Hill! I was bummed! Looks like we are both NE ladies....and i am in CT and RI alot with family, we will have to plan a visit:).

I went to yoga, and I was able to do the whole 90 minute hot class, though i modified some of the ab positions, I would think I was ok and then get burning pain at my incision sites. Glad to go though, I needed it!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,533
    edited August 2012
    Did 60 minutes of toning with the FIRM....trying to decide if I want to take a walk or just veg out. DH is out of town so the cats and I have the whole evening to ourselves Cool.
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

hi ladies, what a fun day we had!  Hiked two trails at Wyalusing State Park - the Sugar Maple Nature Trail (challenging) and the Bluff Trail (easy).  The former is all wooded with a fairly steep path down, then back up of course.  The latter is to a vantage point along the Mississippi River bluffs where the Native Americans kept sentinel watch over the comings & goings along the river.

Had lunch in Prairie du Chien then headed to Villa Louis where we toured the grounds, the residence (beautifully restored), and the Fur Trade Museum.

Logged 8.4 km = 5.22 miles for the day.

Tomorrow, we're headed to historic Mineral Point http://www.mineralpoint.com/ to tour Pendarvis, shop the artisan district, and take advantage of another beautiful day and a two-for-one coupon.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Hi ladies, this is my first post in this thread.  I was haphazard with exercise prior to diagnosis but what with learning it may lower odds of recurrence plus helps with chemo I'm determined to change that.  My goal now is to establish a 6 day a week exercise habit, and to gain muscle during chemo.   Most days I take a long walk around the neighborhood and/or do some body weight and hand weight exercises.  Today I used my 5 lb and 12 lb weights, did some yoga stretches and a head stand.  My legs are sore!

• badger
    edited August 2012

hi Ann, welcome!

• _Ann_
    edited August 2012

Hi badger!  Loved your post about walking outside in the dark and seeing stars.  I like being outside at night but my area is a bit too urban to really feel safe with that.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2012

Hey everyone I am house/dog sitting supposedly got the cable up and running today but i can't get on the internet on my laptop and only 1 tv works but i have managed to log on on my Nook, have only been able to read back a bit and was just going to watch netflix and thought i'd try to log on and darn if it didn't work but i'm hunting and pecking on the screen so I'll just say hi and hopefully get back up and running in the next few days

• misswim
    edited August 2012

Hi Ann: Welcome!!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Welcome, Ann!

Glad you see that the dogs haven't tied you up and taken over the house, Cheryl!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Ann - welcome!  You'll find this is a great group, with women at all phases of treatment - some just starting out, some years out.  Ruth - LOL at picture of Cheryl tied up while the dogs take over - I can see the dogs playing poker, drinking beer, and watching Animal Planet.    Badger - your hike sounds beautiful.  It sounds like that Bluff Trail hike is what I call a "payoff" hike - you do the hike but it pays off with a beautiful view.  Misswim - hooray on finishing the whole yoga class!

4.5 mile run this morning - felt good!  It's a nice wide hard surface trail through the woods, and very popular with runner, bikers and walkers.  I saw a hawk fly right in front of me, but I missed the fawn that DH saw.  But I did have some good eye candy for a half mile or so - a bronzed very fit guy in shall we say nicely-fitting jog shorts and no shirt running just in front of me for a time! Tongue out Nats Walk coming up today - stay away rain!! 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

Took a 4 mile walk by the bay with my dog this morning. Love riding my bike, but just haven't been able to get myself on it for a month, till I remembered the saying above one of your dx, something about not always feeling like singing, but"sing anyway", so I did it, a 45 minute ride around the lake, feel much better! Now I'm getting ready to watch a federer game on the tv, and my DH brought home a lovely bread. Things are looking up!

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

After finding excuses to avoid the gym the last few days, I made to the gym this afternoon.  45 min of cardio...I did manage to either bike or do knee strengthening on the days I avoided the gym.  Why oh why is it so hard to get into the habit of exercising :-)  Hope everyone has had a good weekend...

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Lovely sunny, mild day here. Did pilates, took a long walk, read on the front porch, had coffee with a friend on the deck, now DH is home and we are going out for Mexican....no cooking or clean up!

School starts tomorrow, so the party is soon over for me!!!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2012

Mary: Eye candy like that is a great motivator!

Oceanbreeze: maybe your gym has similar eye candy like Mary had to keep you motivated. Smile

Ruth: Good luck tomorrow!

Rainy day here. A good time to stay in and read my Ann Rule book. Will be more active tomorrow. 

• _Ann_
    edited August 2012

Thirty minute walk.  Did a short one so I'd have energy left to wash the car.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited August 2012

Back from vacation.  It's great to travel, but so good to get back home too.  An hour of pilates yesterday, today will run the trail for an hour or so.  

School starts tomorrow - my kids are so excited.  Good luck to you, ruth, on your first day!   

Welcome, Ann!   

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2012

Ginger and misswim, I am in RI too! 

Been a bad girl with exercising, was on vacation a couple of weeks ago, since I've been back I've only been to the gym once and walked at lunch twice.  Plus we are getting our bathroom redone, so I haven't been doing my classical stretch in the morning because the contractors are there.  Off to the gym after work today, I really need it.

• Kay-in-NH
    Kay-in-NH Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2012

Your responses have been super-encouraging.  I'm entering week 2 of radiation, and I hope to continue my running routine this week (3 miles for 2 or 3 times each week).  Luckily, the weather here on the New Hampshire coast is moderate.  We typically do not suffer the heat & humidity that other parts of the country do, so I have no "excuse" not to get out and exercise !  Cheers to all,

• wonderland
    edited August 2012

Kay: Good luck with your radiation tx!

Unlike Kay in NH, we definitely have heat and humidity here. Today was cooler but the humidity is ever present. I just returned from walking/running at the park. At first it wasn't too bad and then the humidity factor hit. It always feel good to be finished!

Have a good night everyone! 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

Well......I got to Vancouver and only walked one major hill which is called "the wall".  Otherwise, I did almost everything else, including stuff I wouldn't have been able to do three months ago.  192 miles altogether over 2 days.

Back to work and reality....and trying to clear my head enough to catch up with what happened earlier today.  At least I won't be thinking I don't do anything on light days anymore!

Amazing sights along the way.....the coast with golden sunlight on it, fields with cattle, apples ripening, a super-scary bridge which brought on a wave of serious prayer, mountains, rivers, and bluffs.  Finally, Vancouver itself, with its fun old seaport area, shopping areas, and office buildings.  Definitely a cycling city.  The mountains and bay are spectacular.

It's quite the international capital as well, much more so than either Montreal or Toronto.

Coming back were busloads of dazed and tired cyclists....fine except for a very long wait at the border.  So much easier in the other direction where we did an obscure rural crossing, with all quick and easy.

Realized that cycling is tiring not just for the exercise, but also because of all the visual stimulation....making sure you don't end up in a pothole, and processing all the great sights along the way.  Just a thrilling time.

Already planning next year's...... - Claire

• badger
    edited August 2012

Claire, what fun!  Congrats and thanks for taking us there vicariously.

oceanbreezes, we'll encourage you to exercise, can you hear us?  We call it The Voices.

Went to another historical site yesterday.  Pendarvis was amazing, a row of stone buildings from 1830, barely saved from destruction in 1930.  Restored and expanded over four decades then sold to the WI Historical Society in 1970.

Cornish miners with generations of experience came to Southwest WI with their wives & children, to mine zinc and lead.  They were more civilized than the previous miners: itinerants who lived in holes dug in the ground, like badgers.  (That's why Wisconsin is the badger state.)

It's amazing to see how people lived with few amenities.  Sure makes me appreciate what I have! 

Walked after supper tonight so total for the two days is 9 km = 5.59 mi. 

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

A whole day of workshop (boring with tons of forms, regulations, paperwork, blah, blah, blah, blah), then worked on some of the stuff they piled on us until 6 pm, went to the staff back-to-school picnic, home and between phone calls and doorbells managed to squeeze in 20 minutes on the treadmill, 10 of thigh work with Denise and 35 minutes Hard Core Fusion. I'm tired!!!!!

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited August 2012

I dont normally come over to this thread much, maybe I should to stay motivated!

I have always been a cardio junkie, but have added yoga into the mix...and LOVE it. I did the 90 minute bikram, hot yoga, class and then ran 1.5 miles. That doesnt sound like much, but I HATE running. I have decided I want to do a triathlon someday. It will take until later next year, still facing more recon.

So CLAIRE...I am hunting you down, lol. I need a new bike. I mountain bike since I live in the Blue Ridge Mountain area, and I use a Trek. I like it, but it doesnt do much for me on the road. I am looking for an entry level road bike that doesnt cost a fortune. there is nothing on Craigslist. Not many road bikers in this neck of the woods I reckon. Any suggestions for a new road cyclist?

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Badger - I love history, so am really enjoying your reports about your trip.  Yes, Ocean - if you're thinking about not exercising one day, just listen and you'll hear The Voices - all of us encouraging you to get out and get moving!  Even if it's just a walk around the block, you'll have gotten out and done something.  We have a lot of newbies lately - it's great to see - all of you, just keep checking in and soon you too will hear The Voices! Wink  Ruth - good for you for squeezing in exercise after such a busy day - I think I'd have collapsed after all that!

30 minute run this morning - only one bunny, but a beautiful morning with just a touch of fog  - the kind of fog that's light enough to allow shafts of sunshine to go it - beautiful!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2012

Walked 30 minutes at lunch yesterday.  Got to gym last night, working on week 3 of C25K, been doing this week for a while until it becomes easy, which it hasn't yet.  Then did 4 machines for upper body work.  And this morning I got up earlier to beat the contractors and did classical stretch - I just love that program, it makes me feel so good and is a wonderful way to start the day.

Have a great day everyone!

• misswim
    edited August 2012

Back to yoga last night. Slow but sure.

• wonderland
    edited August 2012

Welcome geewhiz!

misswim: happy to hear that you can slowly start yoga again.

Just returned from my walk/run at the park. It's 76 degrees BUT humidity is 83%. I'm soaked!

Have a great night everyone. 

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

One hour walk. Just found out another friend has been diagnosed with BC. Crap!

• wonderland
    edited August 2012
    Ruth: Big crap. So sorry about your friend.
  • ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Thanks. It makes my heart sink.....