Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Cateyesjc
    Cateyesjc Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

Hi Claire/ Mary,

Is great to sweat!! :) just finished half hour of fast walking, light stretching felt so refresh.

Claire, I can't cycle nor swimming :p i cant run too (injured both anckles since young) so now the only excerise I can do is fast walking -.-..

But some exercise is really good better no exercise, will keep it up!

regards

Jane

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

Fast walking works too, Jane.  So glad you got out there.  Plus, I found I needed to be out in the world.  I can't imagine six months of my apartment.  YIKES!!!

Speaking of which, guess what I need to do.  Plus supermarket on the way back.  Then back to the work project I am doing.  Then dinner.  At least my BRAIN is well exercised.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited August 2012

Fast walking better count as exercise! Smile

Spent most of the day at school again (some of it rehanging posters, I had used the cheapo school tape yesterday and they had all fallen down!). Then I needed to bring two large quilts to the laundromat (they don't fit in my washer). I walked 35 minutes while they were washing, and 24 more while they were drying.....killed two birds with one stone.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2012

hi ladies, got out this morning and walked in the brisk (chilly) air - nice!

Jane, hope you're doing OK today.  Walking is great exercise.  Cool 

I had chemo every three weeks on a Tues morning.  Although I got IV pre-meds, I took the anti-nausea pills Tues afternoon through Friday night, every four hours like clockwork at 2, 6, and 10.  AM & PM.  Didn't take any starting Sat morning so I could lay around if I felt crummy. 

Today I logged 8 km = 4.97 miles (10,001 steps).  Have a good evening all. 

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited August 2012
    I got my port out yesterday, and the surgeon said I shouldn't do zumba for two weeks Frown so today , I went to the gym, and walked on the tread mill for 45 minutes. I am going to have serious zumba withdrawls
  • ruthbru
    edited August 2012

But NO PORT! Hooray, just think how good that will feel when you are back at it. Congratulations!

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited August 2012
    I am already glad to be port free. The area is a little tender and swollen, and I was in the short stay bed for 4 hours yesterday for not even a 30 min procedure, and the male nurse took three tries to get my I.V in, but I am very happy to be moving into the port free zone. Thanks , I can't wait to rejoice with all of you when its your turn Laughing
  • misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

The oophma-lloopamrectory ( as my son called it) is over. Very sore bt ok. 1 week to getting to exercises. My girfriends took great care of me, brought dinner, a movie and cheesecake, twas a great day.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2012

Cate, the early morning walk sounds like a great idea. The summer I did chemo (last year), I took my dogs to the park early every morning for a walk. That way I avioded the sun, but still got out and it was so pretty and peaceful early in the morning. It really helped me in all kinds of ways.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Thinking of you, misswim.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited August 2012

Missswim, aren't friends the best???  Glad your surgery is over.  Enjoy your (temporary) R&R.

• my3sunz42
    my3sunz42 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2012

I did it ... I had a severe case of depression kick in these past 2 weeks - which included an anxiety attack (terrifying) ... but today, I dragged my rear end out of bed, had a cup of coffee and forced myself out for a walk/run. About 5 1/2 miles later, I'm feeling a little better. Next step, calling the doctor back to keep the wheels rolling on a visit with a physicologist. 

• phillybird
    phillybird Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012

Yeah to Misswim on getting through surgery, and yeah to my3sunz for getting out on a walk/run!

I did my whole round of weight training and 30 min elliptical last night.  I feel so much better!!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Misswim - LOL on your son's name for the "oophma-lloopamrectory"!  Glad you're feeling a bit better and glad it's all over.  Take care of yourself and let others pamper you!  My3sunz - good for you for having the courage to drag yourself out for a walk/run this morning.  Hooray for you!! Hope the doc calls you back quickly and gets some meds to help keep that progress going. 

30 minutes weights/core after work yesterday.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Walked for 30 minutes, 45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin, and also did the hard, physical job of cleaning out the storage shed. Worked for a long time, did not do a thorough job but still had my whole car stuffed full of puzzles, games, books, knic knacs; all of which I brought to the Salvation Army. If people are half as happy to get the stuff as I am to get rid of it.....

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Good for you, my3sunz! Very smart to get help and help yourself too!!

• badger
    edited August 2012

attawoman my3sunz! 

misswim, happy belated b-day and getting through the oompa-loompa-ectomy.  Laughing

Got out for a short walk this morning and another at lunch.  3.7 km = 2.3 mi so far today.

Nice night for an evening constitutional, will get out in a bit.  Currently watching "Pal Joey" on TCM.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Very sore from the oomphaloomparectory....the longest stretch I walked was from my house to the Kinoa Ice Truck. I did go to work for about 5 hrs.....probably not too smart!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

Take it easy for a few days!

• Cateyesjc
    Cateyesjc Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

Second day of my fast walking, Lolz is actually a  20 mins fast walk + 10mins stretching :P

But still is so great early morning breeze!  Cooling too. 

But I start to have some running nose sympthon...sneezed few times today morning... immune sytem start to drop?

Back after exercise, took shower and have  a piece of whole meal grain bread (caused morning wokeup with light grastic pain...) then rest a short while go back bed around 5am plus... well, yes I slept again gained back some energy woke up at 9.30am :)

badger, starting tomorrow I will not take any more anti-nausea medicine so hope everything will be fine from tomorrow... I really dont like the awlful feels of vomitting.... =.=.... so far since my first chemo on 6Aug, I dont have much side effects showing... hope it wont give me any unwelling feels for next couples of days....

• badger
    edited August 2012

Jane, I hear ya!  Luckily I never vomited from chemo.  It helped to keep something in my tummy at all times.  Stuff like oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and toasted English muffin bread.  I gained weight but am working to lose it.  Today, I enjoy the feeling of hunger and the anticipation of good food but not back then. 

It's been two years now so the memory is fading but I do remember that chemo made my nose run.  Lotion tissues were a staple in my chemo bag.  I'll bump the "More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting through Chemo" thread for you in case you haven't seen it.  Very helpful.

Did take a spin around the block earlier this evening, when BCO slowed way down.  'night all

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012

I read that your nose runs more because the hairs the nose, which act as a filter, have disappeared along with all the other hair. So all the dust etc. is getting in.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2012

Cate, not sure which chemo you are getting, but I had runny nose with taxotere, as well as a "thick" voice. It is some kind of allergic and/or inflammatory reaction to the chemo. It took quite a while to go away, and still recurs sometimes, but milder each time.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2012
    30 minutes of pilates. I am going to school for awhile (we don't really 'start' until the 20th) and then off to meet up with 3 old friends.  We started teaching together many years ago and still get together once a year. Catch up on our families, what's going on in our lives, and tell exaggerated stories about our misspent youth. Cool Back later on in the day tomorrow.
  • NatsFan
    edited August 2012

Ruth - the annual gathering sounds like fun - enjoy!  Misswim - good to hear you're hanging in there - take it easy!!  Jane - I agree with Badger that it really helps to keep something bland in your stomach at all times.  And yes, what worked best for me was all those "white" foods I try to avoid during normal times, but chemo is anything but normal.  You gotta do what you gotta do, even if it means eating white bread and mashed potatoes.

30 minutes running on the treadmill plus a two mile walk yesterday.  

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

The nose stuff was no fun, but I lived.  I remember that drinking water helped immensely when a bit queasy.  I never took any anti-nausea meds other than 2 days of Decadron with AC and the meds with the Taxol infusion.

I am feeling unexercised as no major exercise this week since Sunday.  But have a cycling club picnic at Green Lake this evening so will walk those three miles first.

I just got the route map to Vancouver.  They are eliminating the initial hill from last year, so first 20 miles will be FLAT!!!  Think only three major hills on Day 1.  I can do this!!!  Nothing dreadful on this side of the border on Day 2.  Have never cycled in Canada though.  Getting super excited.

I am hoping for amazing vistas and breathtaking views.  Plus major adrenalin.  This is how you get through these events.

Doing the 50 mile route of the Tour de Peaks on Saturday to keep my fitness up.  Plus a ride Sunday, and possibly something short early next week with someone I need to meet with (work related), but she also wants to ride with me.  Think we can fit both in.

Speaking of work, need to get going.  I am where I need to be with one project and awaiting another cut at the data.  I can't write the Summary and Conclusions until I know the results as may change the findings.  But I have tons other work to get done.

Just the most glorious summer day here. - Claire

• my3sunz42
    my3sunz42 Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2012

Thanks for all your encouragement as I climb this next emotional mountain! I'm thriving again from the endorphin release and my 5 mile run. 

Claire - your ride sounds absolutely amazing - I can only imagine the view you'll have. My father just returned from a hike & camping trip in the Cascade Mountains ... while terrifying climbing over streams and vistas, the view was worth it ... not to mention sleeping under the stars with the wind blowing through those huge trees. Stunning! 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

I am so glad you are feeling better my3sunz.  For some emotional conditions, exercise appears to be equally effective as meds, so something to think about.  I know that usually a few miles of cycling does wonders for the foulest funk.  Even a mile of walking when I didn't realize that I was not at my prime.

Amazing vistas I have seen:

• The view from Chuckanut Drive, which I will be seeing again during the ride.
    • Top of Mission Peak doing the Hog Loppet (20 mile ski) where you can see the Cascade Range from Mt Baker to Mt Adams, including Rainier.  I have pictures.
    • Top of Snoqualmie.....again skiing and on top of the world.  I have that as my Facebook backdrop.
    • Tulip Fields looking over at Mt Baker.
    • San Juan Islands....amazing view of sea and land.
    • Potholes Reservior area....vastness and richness of the area made possible through irrigation.
    • Columbia Gorge near Yakima, both at river level and from the top of Mission Peak.
    • The view of the Puget Sound and mountains from the Washington State Ferries (coming back from cycling events).
    • The Mouth of the Columbia River and Long Beach.

If you don't cycle and ski, you miss most of these.  On top of the obvious exercise benefit.  So much more to see, so little time.  Paradise at Rainier is on my list for Labor Day.  Hiking, not cycling though. - Claire

• badger
    edited August 2012

Walked 6.25 km = 3.88 mi yesterday.  We're having a span of cooler weather and I'm loving it.

Headed to Wyalusing State Park this weekend.  http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/wyalusing/

It's not a mountain-top but there are gorgeous views from the bluffs at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. 

Happy Friday everyone!

• NatsFan
    edited August 2012

Oooooo - that park looks beautiful, Badger!  Have a wonderful weekend.  Claire - the Seattle area is so beautiful, but one of the most fun things we did there has nothing to do with views - we took the Seattle Underground Tour.  It was so much fun, and the whole history of those underground streets and sidewalks is fascinating.  I had no idea that today's street level entrances of the older buildings was originally the second floor, and today we're actually entering through what were once the upper story windows!

Rain, thunderstorms and hail last night continuing today.  I'm hoping that this will usher in some cooler weather for the weekend.   

30 minutes weights/core after work yesterday.