Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012

Just catching up - I caught whatever bug is going around and was flattened for a few days, vegging out on the History Channel and Turner Classic Movies (just like your mom, Kay!).  It did remind me of my chemo days - unable to do much of anything.  Back at work today in a vague sort of way today - the upcoming long weekend is coming at a good time for me.  No exercise since the weekend's Garden N Sculpt.  Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be up to doing a little walking if nothing else.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2012

I am off to Sony to get my computer screen fixed so will be on my old computer for a few days.  Hoping I don't need a new one.  Plus, I have the bug that's going around.

Fortunately, the meeting I was supposed to have today was postponed after the person I was supposed to meet with heard my voice.

Did my weights/crunches anyway, but without much enthusiasm.  Will also do my walk.

Wish me luck that a simple repair.  Hoping to feel well enough to train this weekend as need to get back on my bicycle.  Major cycling weekend in 2 weeks. - Claire

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited August 2012

Screw restrictions. I am going to yoga!!!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Claire I honestly think replacing a display on your Vaio should be do-able, but it may not be cheap.  Good luck with that and I hope you get over your bug soon.

I skipped my walk yesterday due to sleeping but I'm going to get out there again today.  I re-read my notes from my meeting with my breast surgeon (I'm still pre-surgery) and recalled she told me that more muscle helps avoid lymphedema.  So I'm motivated to add some weights today. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

Back from Sony.  Turned out to be something extremely simple.  I wasn't even charged for it.  However, still don't understand what caused the thing to go out of adjustment, so I may be back there.

Major kudos for Sony.  Tech support was beyond helpful, and well trained.  They told me where to take it to be looked at.  I walked in and saw the REAL tech support guy.  Not hard to identify as seated at a desk surrounded by computers.  He took a look immediately, and did the adjustment.

Amazing to see what I am doing again.  The screen was that dim.

Normally, I lift weekdays.  Easier to remember that way.  I missed the end of last week/beginning of this week, but back on track.  I don't know if helped me avoid lymphedema, but can vouch for the "flabby arms" part.  Plus support for my breasts, especially the one that didn't have surgery.

Think I am starting to feel better too.  But perhaps because I no longer see megabux going down the drain.  That has been known to cheer me up big time.

Need to so some work prior to the building party.  Staff hosts an annual BBQ for residents.  Glorious day for it as near 70 and not a cloud in the sky.

Life is good again, but man, what a not fun two days. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

Hi again,

Just found this video by Melinda Irwin of Yale on the benefits of exercise.  Long (50 minutes), but well worth a listen.  Major, major benefits throughout this journey.  One learning is that exercise seems to help preserve bone density among patients taking AIs.  A lot of terrific information.

Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMr0S5nPJdU

I am still listening as I write this post. - Claire

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2012

Hi Claire thanks for posting the link, I agree it is a long video but definately worth a watch. Cheers for that

• _Ann_
    edited August 2012

Whew!  I did it.  50 minute walk followed by push-ups to failure (which for me was 7 knee push ups Embarassed)   Saw so many vivid sights tonight-- at least half a bag of marshmallows strewn around the base of a street lamp, a couple playing kick-ball with a lime they'd just plucked off a tree, a super bright and shiny yellow Camaro with LATNBOY plate, and a big cement lion.

Thanks for that link Claire, I'll go give it a listen!  

Glad your computer trouble got resolved so easily.  My VAIO laptop screen freaks out sometimes too-- it goes all bright white and I have to go reset the display settings for no reason, or else re-boot it.  Didn't think to mention that because I thought your display was completely kaput! 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,533
    edited August 2012

Cooled off this evening so went for a long walk. Our new (lady) principal did something neat today. She invited each grade separately down to the air conditioned lunch room for Popsicles and some time to just 'chill out' (figuratively AND literally).

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2012

Last night did Body Combat then up to the hospital and when I got home I was too tired to even turn on the computer and then of course had one of those dreadful nights where I went into a deep sleep and then woke up 10 minutes later then laid awake for and hour and then repeated this process all night ughhhhh.  Didn't feel like going to the gym tonight but dragged myself up there and did an RPM class, hardly anyone in the gym it is so hot here you can't catch your breath.

Mary hope you are feeling better, Misswim how about tai chi that would be low impact and it's grounding.  Ruth what a lovely gesture by your new principal.  Thanks for the link Claire and glad you were able to get your computer problem resolved easily.  Ann yes weights are important if you have a set of light weights you can do reps while you watch tv.

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2012

Rest day today. And a Big Mac! Im bad.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited August 2012

Walked at lunch yesterday 30 minutes, and got up this morning and did classical stretch.  Hoping to walk again at lunch.  To the gym tonight after work, unless we go to the bluegrass festival tonight instead of tomorrow.

Have a great long weekend everyone!

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

After two days of NO exercise, made myself get on my bike and ride this am.  Now to get ready for an afternoon of work.  Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited August 2012

Hello fitness nuts ;)

Haven't posted in awhile, it's crazy busy at work now. Weight lifting is getting a little boring, so I'm taking up yoga to mix it up. Plan on getting a few more hikes in to see the huckleberries turn blazing red, then the snows will come and the mountains will rest.  After that, I will just have to become a hard core cold-weather cyclist. I'm good down to 40 degrees, then I want to bag it and sit in the house.

So, I have weights, kettlebells, yoga, hiking, and cycling. Keeps a body good.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2012

I won't cycle if icy, but otherwise temperature doesn't bother me.  Just a question of the right gear.  Quite often the same stuff as I wear x-country skiing, but different bottoms and shoes.  I also draw the line at howling wind and driving rain.  Drizzle is just fine.  Just got a new super-bright cycling shell for those low light winter days ahead.  My old one didn't quite have it anymore.

Having cycled through drizzle and light rain during chemo, I have no such excuses henceforward, so guess what?  I am out there unless the skiing is better.  Skiing is my first love, and can't wait to head for the slopes/backcountry trails this year.

Today, it's my weights/crunches and walking.  Light cycling tomorrow, as still dragging from this bug thingie.  Easy walk on Rainier with a friend on tap for Sunday.  He has had the bug thingie, so felt safe inviting.  I should be fine with enough caffiene and sugar Innocent

Great news is that I will be getting work from the job I bid earlier this week for my new client.  YAY!!!!  So a major success today, even if I get nothing else accomplished.  However, I have done this too, as moving forward with another piece of work I need to fit in this weekend along with my excursions.  Payback time for my trips away over the past 2 weekends.

Next weekend will be serious cycling as need to get ready for The Wave on the 16th....chose the toughest route of course.

Just glorious here, and can't wait for Sunday.  Something new and fun......and on my bucket list. - Claire

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2012

hi all, it was hot here today so waited for sunset to walk after supper.

Logged 5.65 km = 3.51 miles for the day.

Enjoy the "blue moon" tonight!  ((hugs))

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012
    No exercise, went to a high school football game instead. We got creamed, but it was a lovely night to be outside and the pep band sounded good Smile.
  • wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited September 2012

Like Ruth, I also didn't exercise today.

And like Ruth again, went to a high school football game instead - and we also got creamed!

Ruth: Hope our teams do better next week!

• hbcheryl
    edited September 2012
    Add me to the no exercise today group but I did clean the house and do some laundry and of course went to the hospital.  My friend is now in a regular room it was so nice to see her not hooked up to anything and she has ordered me to bring her ice cream and yogurt tomorrow I figure she's being a bossy boots she's getting betterLaughing
  • _Ann_
    edited September 2012

Same story here-- 35-ish minute walk around the neighborhood, but this time with the hubby.  We enjoyed the big moon, although it didn't look particularly unique.  I guess I don't understand the Blue Moon phenomenon.

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2012

Went hiking today at one of our local islands which is also a predator free sanctuary. So we got to see alot of native birds that are endagered or rare. It was excellent, this island was hilly, carried a heavy back pack and walked for about 4hours and 10km.

Brilliant today and tomorrow back to the gym

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2012

SO happy - I "jogged" 3 miles this morning then walked 1 mile.  Felt great.  Surgery was almost 7 weeks ago.  Also went back to the gym this week - did very light weights just to "awaken" the muscles, then some easy yoga stretching.  Feeling great mentally and physically, God bless. . .moving around outside really gets the blood pumping and the endorphins running.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2012

woke up with a stomach ache - blech - no farmers market for me today. Cry

Here's an interesting article from the Wisconsin State Journal re: blue moon:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/science/seely-on-science-check-out-the-sky-tonight-for-a/article_4d48aec6-f2e7-11e1-9f91-001a4bcf887a.html

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited September 2012
    Great article badger. Thanks for posting it. I thought of Neil last night while gazing at the moon.
  • hbcheryl
    edited September 2012

Welcome LuvLuLu yes it is good to get those endorphines up and running.  When I got up at 5.30am this morning the moon was spectacular.  Badger sorry you are feeling yukky.

This morning I did a spin class - you gotta get there early to get a bike so I also go to do a half a combat class.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited September 2012

Even though I really wanted to laze about, I went out and a 20 mile easy ride.  Still dragging, and the last thing I wanted to do, but the Cedar River Trail was uncrowded and lovely.  Plus, the most intoxicating scent of blackberries.  On the way back, I succumbed and gorged.  Sweet and winey with the sun on them.  More than you could ever imagine.

Thinking a nap now, and then off to get some fresh local veggies.

Hike tomorrow, and then another ride on Monday.  60+ mile ride with HILLS is only 2 weeks off so have to keep training. - Claire

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2012
    The Cedar River Trail! That's where I'm going tomorrow. I will have to bring along some containers to stop for berry picking. Laughing
  • KelpieAU
    KelpieAU Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012

My bone aches are really getting to me at the moment so I've taken to walking. Alot. Not outside because it is so cold here where I live in Australia (got to minus 8 degrees celsius which is 17.6 degree Fahrenheit) - but on a treadmill, in front of the fire, while watching TV. Just a nice slow gentle pace . . . . . it's helped a bit with the pain and I'm sleeping better at night too.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

Welcome to the new ladies! Got up early and took a long walk, went to a college football game (not fun; it was boiling hot AND we lost), then since I was all sweaty anyway, I did my 45 Denise Austin toning DVD. Now sitting in the house with the air conditioning going full blast.

• _Ann_
    edited September 2012

Well I was going to bail out today but coming in here inspired me to go out :-)  The usual 30-40 minute walk at sunset followed by some arm stretches and eight knee pushups.  Lots of dogs out tonight and one came up and slobbered on my shorts.  I didn't mind because it was such a happy looking dog.