Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2012

Kelpie - that is sure cold for Australia, where abouts are you (Tasmania or up in the mountains). Either way I certainly do not blame you for walking indoors Brrrrrrrrrrrr

I love your motto in your signature - excellent. Have to say there are some brilliant ones and very poignant ones here are on the different forums.

Worked out in the garden for a few hours, still cutting down some very overgrown bushes and will now head out for a walk as the rain has stayed away and it is just sunny and windy. Although I am sure the rain will turn up soon, it is just that the wind is keeping it away.

• cycle_babe
    cycle_babe Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2012

My exercise today consisted of removing the cork from two fine bottles of wine, filling my glass and lifting my hand to my mouth. I think I did 30 rounds of this. Go me!

Not funny? I have been so busy, read through this thread and really admire you girls. I miss my daily runs and bike rides but have been smokin busy with studying. I am starting to wonder if it is all worth it. I recognize Claire, Ruth and Badger. Love your avatar, Ruth, it is changed since I saw you last.....you probably did not see me as I have only been lurking here and hoping to find some motivation to get off my lilly white butt and work out!  Thanks for allowing me to stop in. Keep up the great work, ladies and enjoy the holiday. 

~Erin 

• ginger_mea
    ginger_mea Member Posts: 135
    edited September 2012

Ruth, one question I see you work and also have family life, how do you fit it in???  that is my biggest issue Ginger :)

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited September 2012

Thank you for the warm welcome and sorry not to drop by sooner. 

My gym regime is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, usually back to back high impact cardio with a stretching type class -- yoga, pilates or body balance afterwards.  Saw my PS last week and green light to plank and still no pump classes.  I'm at about 75%of left, radial arm movement and physio has helped as the massage I receive has moved me forward quite a bit. I just got 6 more physio visits preauth'ed so good to go for another 6 weeks to get to 100%.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited September 2012

Good morning all, and I hope everyone has fun plans for this holiday weekend.

I haven't been on here a lot, but have been exercising.  I have been training for the Chicago marathon, and I have to say, that if it wasn't for the "voices" giving me a kick start, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Since Oct last year when I joined this group and did my first 5K, I have been running 3-4x a week and tossing in some crosstraining 1-2 days a week.  Yesterday ran 18 miles!  Would have never ever thought I could do that a year ago.

So, those that have just joined...welcome.  Those that have been here...thank you.  I am about 1 month away from my first marathon!  I have the same feelings now that I did when I was pregnant.  I know that it will be result in a combination of pain and reward.  And can't wait for the day it all happens!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2012

Cycle-Babe......don't think that I omit the same exercise from my routine.  HOWEVER, I walk to the wine bar one mile each way at least once a week.  Had some lovely Viognier last night, plus part of a "mistake" that was leftover from a prior evening.

One of the benefits of living in central Seattle.  Plus, I caught up with everyone there, bragging of my cycling trip to Vancouver.  Also planning an excursion in about ten days to see The Burlesque Nutcracker.  I have seen it before and it's a major hoot.

Bagging church this AM.  But do plan the hike.  I need to go online for directions to the northern part of Rainier.  Plus find my hiking gear.  I know others use fancy shorts, but I am thinking my sturdy Value Village denims.  Will stop at Met Market for good eats.  Promise a picture if take any worth looking at.

Just saw your note Corinne.  Congrats on all your running.  I am sure you will do fine in the marathon.  Check out Everyminute.....she puts all of us to shame.  So interesting too when exercise becomes a habit.  You don't feel right unless you get plenty of it.

Catch up with everyone later.  Happy Sunday. - Claire

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2012

Road my bike 14 miles, but went on the Interurban trail from Auburn Station to just past Kent Station. It's nice and flat and close to get to, but riding along industrial railroads is just darn demoralizing. Next time I need some woods. Got to stop at the farmer's market though.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited September 2012

Did a Body Step class this morning could not believe how many people turned up for the class it was packed.

Corinne it's good to see you, can't believe it's almost time for the marathon, you can do it girl, we're all cheering you on.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,533
    edited September 2012

Hi Erin, love your picture too!

Great to see you again, Corinne. Glad the running is going well. How did your race go the day after we did all that 'carbohydrate loading' in Greek Town?

I walked and did Pilates today.

Ginger, I fit in the exercise because of my darned notebook! Every week I flip the page and write the week on the top 'Week 1', 'Week 2' etc. and then make two columns: 'Aerobic' and 'Toning'. Below the Aerobics I block out 4 hours in 15 minute incriments, and three hours under the toning. As I exercise I 'X' off the 15 minutes. I am so anal retentive that I HAVE to have them all crossed off by the end of the week. (I go Monday-Sunday.....so if I am busy during the week, I will have to exercise more on the weekend.)

So if I walk 45 minutes tomorrow and do 30 minutes of toning, this is what my chart will look like:

Week 1

Aerobics                                          Toning

15   X                                               15 X

15  X                                                15 X

15  X                                                15

15                                                    15

15                                                    15

15                                                    15

(etc. to four hours)                            (etc. to three hours)

• ginger_mea
    edited September 2012

Thank you Ruth, I am going to try it that way if I can do it in 15 min increments it may work out better for me. Ginger :)

• claire_in_seattle
    edited September 2012

Hi everyone,

Even though dragging, I did the hike, but had my friend do the driving.  We were rewarded with views like this.  Nibanna.....I get how boring the Interurban is, and I use to get in miles when training.  But other rides are infinitely more fun.  Do the Foothills next time.  There is a beaver dam as you go towards South Prairie.

Just had to share the views from today's hike....did the Naches Loop Trail.  Only 3.5 miles, but kicked my butt at 6000' plus the fact that I still have a cough and a bit of a fever.  You have to seize these opportunities, and days like this don't come that often.  Lupines and other mountain flowers were in full bloom.  Just magnificent, and a feast for the senses. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

Wow! It looks like a postcard!

• Hils
    edited September 2012

Great picture Claire - is this near Seattle?

Cheers

• claire_in_seattle
    edited September 2012

It's about 85 miles from where I live, so a day trip.  Amazingly, not that difficult getting there.  I didn't drive, but no major traffic except where an accident early on.

This was one of many amazing vistas.  Tarns, lakes, high peaks, alpine meadows, snow fields.

A lot of people hiking, but still room to park, and trail wasn't overrun.  I think the south side of Rainier (Paradise) was different.  But was advised to hike in this area, and this trail offered more than I ever could have imagined.

Easy cycling on farmland roads tomorrow.  About 40 minutes from where I live.  Why I love Seattle so much.  You really do have it all.

Now, I could do the Bumbershoot festival 4 blocks away, but with days like this, I want to be out in nature. - Claire

• Hils
    edited September 2012

Thanks for that Claire, Seattle is on my list to visit at some stage. I lived in the States for a couple of years and although I lived in California and Oregon I never quite made it that far north. Although crazily enough have made it to Vancouver.

I am sure there is some logic there somewhere. Have a brilliant time enjoying your bike ride tomorrow I am sure you will have a blast

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited September 2012

Gorgeous scenery!

I am trying some Cuban Salsa tonight. Dancing, not food - although that sounds good, too. Hope I don't get too dizzy with all the turns.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited September 2012

I'm pleased with my running these days.  Good energy this morning on a 50 minute trail run.   I'm not recording anything, just the time I leave and when I return, and notice that I'm running more than walking.  My only regret is not being able to take my dog along - her big brown eyes pleading with me at the door as I leave.   Guess this means that I'm getting faster though! 

Claire   Gorgeous views - how inspiring!  Hope that the good weather lasts for you to get out there.  

ruth   Love your exercise chart

• oceanbreezes
    oceanbreezes Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012

Ruthbru love your chart!  It is easy to approach it in small steps that is for sure!  Claire your picture is amazing!  We plan to go to Oregon and Washington next summer, can't wait!  It seemed that making time for exercising was so difficult this week, not that I was extra busy, just really lacked the motivation and enery.  I just finished another nice 1 1/2 mile walk with husband and then a 4 mile bike ride this morning.  Now off to pick up son from football practice, and then to run daughter to movie with her friend.  Too bad you don't get exercise points for all the time spent in the car! 

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012
    Did 45 minutes of toning and a 45 minute walk (which means I won't have to exercise as much another day Tongue out). It is a beautiful morning here. I walked to and around a lovely college campus with all the old ivy covered brick building which overlooks the city from a hill (of course, it was perfectly quiet and peaceful there because no self-respecting college student would be up and about early on a day off!).
  • claire_in_seattle
    edited September 2012

Walk sounds lovely and restorative Ruth!

I can't be as anal as you are though.  I have a weights/crunches routine I do weekdays.  That plus a minumum of a one mile walk.  Usually more.

Then, I spend weekends doing more vigorous activities.  So something like cycling a minimum of 20 miles.  Yesterday's hike was at least an equivalent in effort.  Amazingly, not even sore.  Still not over this virus thingie so took me a lot longer than it normally would.

A major reason for exercising is to be able to do things like yesterday's hike (as opposed to the half mile route around the pond at the trailhead).  I know this one is listed as "easy", but here that means you don't need more than a good pair of shoes/boots.  Poles would have been helpful in a few places.  My ankle held up which is a good thing.  The views were breathtaking, so was spurred on.

The other reason it took forever is that I took 70 pictures, which I will edit down to about 20.  Just gorgeous, and needed to capture.

Can't wait to try the next one! - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012
    Oh gee, I have to report the cool thing that just happened to me. I was pumping gas & when I went in to pay, a guy said,"I hope you don't mind me saying so, but you have very nice legs." !!!!!!! Granted, he was about 70 years old. But what the heck, I'll take any compliments I can get! Tongue out
  • Beth1951
    Beth1951 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012

Well, I am proud to say I put my FITBIT back on this morning. Ever since I got diagnosed with BC ( July 2012) I have done very little exercise. Today, I will monitor my steps ( thanks, FitBit) and I am going back to yoga. Still tender where I had the last lumpectomy, but I am sure getting out and about will help me immensely.

• nibbana
    nibbana Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2012

Claire, 

Chinook Pass is lovely, isn't it? You definitely got the money shot of Rainier!

I don't know if I announced it here, but I'm taking up yoga. I signed up for online classes, and it's kicking my butt so far, but good for me.  I have got to be the most inflexible person in the world, I've never been able to touch my toes, not ever. Soon, I will be, I keep telling myself that. 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited September 2012

Beautiful picture, Claire.

Happy Labor Day to all.

Woke up early and decided to walk in the morning instead of evening b/c of rain. So I walked/jogged at the park and it was great!  

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2012

WOAH - I love that, ruthbru, who cares?  A compliment is a compliment!  Obviously the guy recognized VERY FIT LEGS!!!!

• ginger_mea
    edited September 2012

Beautiful!

I did a 30 minute walk this morning, its been a long time.  My legs felt very heavy and I was tired afterwords which in the past was not like me.  Since on the A.I. I find that I am low energy a lot of days and I have no muscles anymore, will they return?

Ruth I made the notepad so I will see how that works out for me.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited September 2012
    Ruth: Just read your note about your legs. If I remember correctly, this isn't the first time someone has commented on your sexy legs. Way to go, hot mama!
  • misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited September 2012

Spent the weekend at the shore...... took two intense hot yoga classes and went for a hike. So sad that summer is ending.

Ruth- you do have great legs- that is just what I thought when I saw your photos from Chicago!!!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

They will go along nicely with the very big head I am getting. Ha!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2012

Ginger, 15 minutes at a time makes it seem a lot more doable!