Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns
    Linda-Ranching-in-the-mTns Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2012

Hello Ladies -- My first time here... Just getting serious again about diet and exercise now that I am 7 weeks out from BMX (with immediate DIEP recon)... and then -- well -- that tempting holiday food when we went home to Mom's for Christmas. 

Yesterday was my first real hike at fairly normal speed since the surgery. Probably about 2 miles or a bit more -- over hills and valleys. Felt great taking that last big hill -- huffing and puffing -- by I made it! My sweetheart is a wildlife biologist -- so he does this stuff every day -- he is very patient, but sets a pretty good pace!

I also stuck to my 1200 calorie diet (all healthy foods) yesterday -- and this morning was rewarded with a 2 pound loss! I know they can't all be that good -- but this morning the scale was my friend! Oncologist wants me to lose 30 pounds -- I am aiming for 35 by the first day of spring.

Just now returned from a longer walk than yesterday... so keeping fingers crossed. Today's hill was a little less steep -- proud that I didn't even have to stop to rest!

Great warm-up to the New Year... got started on the resolutions early!

Nice to meet you all --

Linda

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2012

Badger - welcome back!  LOL on the Brett Farve comment - couldn't have said it better myself!  Yikes at 6 degrees - a bit different than Florida, no?  Misswim and Claire - hope you both feel better heading into 2013.

4 mile run today - adhering to my 18 week half marathon training schedule - just starting Week 2.  Still wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew, but time will tell.  I think there's something Freudian or something about my training schedule - when I finished making it out, I realized it was 18 weeks long.  Five years ago I endured 18 weeks of chemo - TAC every three weeks for 6 weeks.  I'm really wondering if there's something going on in my subconscious about this deal! Cool

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2012

welcome Linda!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited December 2012

Wow, badger, great game, and we will get to do it again next weekend. Our friendship will survive, but I am not sure about my niece's marriage. She is a maniac Viking fan and he is a possessed Packer Backer....yikes......could be a rough week for them!

Welcome, Linda! If you want some weight watching buddies, some of us also post on Wednesday Weigh In, also on the Fitness Forum. I am still being BAD, blaming it on my yearly mammogram, which is tomorrow.

Mary, you should do 18 fun things for yourself to break the cycle!!!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2012

Hello everyone, hope you all had a wonderful holiday.  I didn't go to the gym for an entire week had lots of complications at work and have been working till 10pm every day including saturday and sunday except of course for ChristmasFrown

Got my butt back on the spin bike yesterday and did a body Step class this morning on a side note my gym has been sold and we don't know if after Jan 1st what is hapening - open or closed classes or no classes and that is the reason I joined a second gym so I have no excuse if anything does happen my fingers are crossed that nothing changes.

Welcome Linda.  Glad you are both on the mend Claire and misswim.  Mary they say "there are no coincidences"Kiss  Badger I'm right there on the brrrrr factor, it's been freezing here and lots of rain.

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2012

today have done heaps, now im exhausted and wanted to celebrate tonight, Nana nap time..

ruth ive done 2 pilates classes, dont ever think i will be able to stretch as the others do in the class but really loving the class.  one of my goals for 2013 is to get into yoga Buddhism style...my gawd have you seen what they do with their bodies, turn themselves inside out.

claire thanks for words, think exercise is a huge part of the cancer journey, for me cleans out all the crap in my head once the endorphins kick in.

today long walk down the beach, my skin is so fair so i wear long sleeve cycling top and knee leg ins, works a treat, even today in the 40's here in aussie land, no sunburn for me..Smile

then went to the gym only did really light weights arms chest all top half, trying to get ready for reconstruction.

really want to see out 2012 and am determined to hit the town tonight.

keep pumping those endorphins my exercise buddies.

XXXXXxxx

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited December 2012

Ringing in the New Year in Palermo, Sicily.  Have had a good week of hiking ruins, climbing monuments and I'm crossing my fingers that the scale will be kind once I'm home.  It's been a nice warm break from Budapest, the weather has been just glorious in Sicily this past week.   

Claire, misswim  Hope that you're feeling better.   Welcome Linda!  And welcome back badger.  

Go Redskins!  Smile

My very best wishes to all for a Happy and Healthy New Year!  

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2012

Joy - Italy for New Year's - sounds heavenly.  And yes, go 'Skins!  Amazing - DC teams won their divisions in baseball and now football, both winning behind charismatic rookies.  Lovin' the spirit in DC right now! (I mean the spirit of the REAL local DC residents, not those out-of-towners who inhabit Capitol Hill and can't agree on the time of day and are perfectly willing to drive the rest of the country off the cliff!)  Liv - good for you for hitting the Pilates classes - you may want to find out if any of the instructors are Pink Ribbon certified Pilates instructors who have received special training in the needs of b/c survivors - I had some classes through the Pink Ribbon program and it was really good.  Cheryl - bummer about the gym changing hands.  Hopefully the new owners will keep it open with the same level of services.  Linda - welcome!

Today is my official 5 year anniversary - I got the bad news today 5 years ago - some New Year's Eve that was as you can imagine.  Cry  Amazing how the time has gone.  I'm very lucky. 

45 minutes stretching/yoga/Lebeds today.  All part of my official training schedule - there are built-in days for stretching - I like those days! Cool

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2012

Oh Joy, have a great time! Misswim, good to see you back you too Badger.  Linda a big welcome to you.  Mary enjoy your 5th. Oh Cheryl, that is a drag and hope the changes are to your liking.  Nicole, you are doing great and you too Hooper Ann.

Went to the gym and did a body step and pilates class.  Awful wet weather here and hunkering down for NYE here and have party food to heat and serve, if we feel like it. 

Happy New Years Everyone and Liv, it's already happened for you!

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2012

Hello, all.  Really getting into "comfort" foods the last couple of days.  We had some snow on Saturday.  Sunday I woke up and ran 6.2 miles w/my running partner.  Temp in the 20's it was gorgeous out!  They did a really good job of clearing the roads so we did our 6.2 "winter route", wide streets, not much traffic.  It looked like a picture postcard with the fresh fallen snow, just beautiful.  Followed up at the gym w/bench press, then shoulders.  Came home, made "Kick Ass Mac & Cheese" - yum!  Also made chicken soup, so healthy and yummy.  My oldest son felt lousy so I made it mostly for him - the best medicine.

Today I took the day off work, went to the gym, did 20 minutes treadmill HIIT followed by back and bis.  Then hubby and I went out for breakfast where I ate Cranberry/Walnut pancakes, ooooooh baby!  Now I really need a shower, I'm gross. Might catch a few episodes of Twilight Zone marathon (they don't make 'em like they used to) then POSSIBLY go into Boston to see the ice sculptures.  I know I'll never stay awake to see the ball drop.

Have a wonderful New Year's Eve, all, stay sane and safe!  And welcome, Linda!!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2013

Turned midnight and wishing YOU Happy New Year from jolly old England Smile ♫The years go by so fast, let's hope the next beats the last♫  LB,x

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2013

8 k day! Blood work good and Taxol #2 on for Wed.!

Happy New Year to you all! May 2013 be a good year for us all despite BC.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

Congrats, NatsFan! Hope you get many, many more fives!

Happy New Year to all!

• badger
    edited January 2013

hi ladies, day off work so had the luxury of 30 mins of a.m. yoga & meditation on a Mon morning after DH went to work.  Did errands and took a short walk while the temps were still in the 20's.  Been getting colder through the day.  Overnight low -2 with a high of 11 tomorrow.  Logged 3.7 km = 2.3 miles for the day.  Congrats Mary on being 5 years out and HNY to all my sisters!  ((hugs))

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

Happy New Year, Dolls! Wishing you nothing but the best in 2013:)

• liv-
    edited January 2013

walked along the beach for a couple of hours.  thats enough for tody considering i had such a big night.

nats fan - what a fabulous way to go into 2013, 5 years gone, another 50 coming. go girl.

will enquire about Pink Ribbon certified Pilates instructors.

lilac blue - yes i was well into the red then, happy new year to you too lovely.

xxx

• Grace533
    Grace533 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013

Is getting in a chlorine pool okay during chemo. I would like to go to back to water aerobics class but didnt know about the chlorine. Also are private hot tubs a no no during chemo. I will ask my onc bit she is on vacation and it would be nice to sit in hot tub after having first chemo last thurs.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2013

Grace, I was never told to avoid pools, but I don't if there is a reason to. It would probably be a good idea to wear ear plugs, to avoid ear infections.

Hot tubs are a no-no if you have had lymph nodes removed. Sitting in a hot tub can trigger lymphedema.

• liv-
    edited January 2013

grace neither was i during chemo, was only told to avoid after mastectomy and like momine to avoid hot tubs with node removal.

xx

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

Happy New Year, All!

DS found a bunch of FIRM DVDs in a discount bin when he was out shopping, and bought me 5 I didn't have, so I have been trying them out. A thumbs up for Fat Blasting Cardio and a thumbs down for bootcamp maximum cardio burn.

If you want to try out a nice pilates DVD, check out Denise Austin's Hit The Spot Pilates. You can customize your workout to work the areas you want and to fit into the time you have. Easy to follow and fun.

• peb
    peb Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013

Does anyone wear a preventive sleeve when exercising to prevent lymphdema? I don't see any reading on it While I read bout you all exercising. I am in chemo now and had bilateral a month ago with 4 lymph nodes removed so just don't know about being preventive or not if don't have it?

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

I do not have LE and do not wear a sleeve. If worn wrong, you can actually do more harm than good....and I would probably wear it wrong! I just started with weights very, very slowly, have never gone up over the 8-10 pound range. I vary my exercises so I don't exercise the same area every day, don't do a lot of reps, lay off the upper body if my arm starts to feel achy/heavy. You do want to be careful, but not baby your arm too much, as building up your strength also helps build up the lymph system (according to my GP).

edited to say that this is just my take on it, someone else may come along with very different advice....this is not a very clear area....sigh!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

Welcome Linda and Nicole and other new posters since I checked in last.  Claire I hope you get back up to par soon.

Happy 2013!  I've spent the last two days gobbling up all the Christmas candy in the house.  Thank goodness it's mostly gone now.  Yesterday I went nuts with exercise-- walk, hooping, and dancing, and even some hand weights.  My knees were not too happy after all that.

I am noticing a real appetite increase since finishing chemo.  Gonna have to start being careful about food consumption again.  I really do not want to regain the belly fat I just (mostly) lost.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Happy New Year everyone.  Did a Body Combat class this morning and then had a nice jacuzzi as my right shoulder is sore due to all the hand work I have had to do at work the past two weeks, went to my new gym and the class was jam packed nice to see so many people out exercising on Jan 1st.  Ann I still have a house full of Christmas cookies but I am limiting myself, well I'm trying to...... 

• FriendGwen
    FriendGwen Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2013

Thirty minute brisk hike and it was really cold!! Am happy I got out there as I'm wiped out from this last chemo round. But as usual I felt so much better once I got outside! Day one 2013 exercise, check!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

Got out and walked three miles to work off yesterday's revelry.  Still not 100% as came back sweaty and feverish.  Back to weights/crunches in the AM.  It's been too long, and I don't want my lazy abs to get the idea they can take a prolonged vacation.

Got out my holiday email to one and all, so finally getting back on track.

Major bummer is that I couldn't join the Mount Rainier snowshoeing crew today.  Just not feeling well enough.  But this goes on until May!!!!  So will make sure I get there.  One of my New Year's Resolutions.  Promise.

I did go out and announce to the world on my holiday email that I would be TAKING UP RUNNING.  So counting on you ladies to keep me honest.

Happy New Year!!!!! - Claire

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

Speaking of New Year's resolutions, I also want to get up to running 10K by the fall. I made it to 5K last September but rested on my laurels ever since. Need to get motivated, so I'm following Claire and NatsFan around. Bravo Ann, Cheryl and FriendGwen for getting your maiden 2013 workout done! I'm not there yet. But I did so much skiing before NYE that I figure I can take a break.

• liv-
    edited January 2013

ruth weights are the best for overall body strength and i believe because only one week after my mastectomy with 24 nodes removed i started doing light weights with stretching my arms above my head is part of the reason i too didnt get LE.

one of the benefits i found was with weights if you do the correct breathing your lung capacity increases and you gain greater energy levels.

today not so hot so power walked with ankle and wrist weights for 50 minutes around the park

tonight gym light weights, still very light, will endeavour to increase shortly.

endorphins are rockinSmile

• badger
    edited January 2013

hi ladies and welcome Grace533 and peb. 

I was a bad badger yesterday and ate all the wrong foods and didn't exercise at all.

All my progress over vacation - gone.  Yell  So I'm glad to head back to work today. 

I'm using this as a lesson in backsliding and forgiveness.  Innocent  Have a great day all!

• liv-
    edited January 2013

norti badgerKiss

good to go off the rails, hoped you enjoyed it.,

i go off at least once a week, think it does the body good, a bit of relax then shock it back onto the rails.

xx