Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2013

Baby it's cold outside . . . temp around 13 degrees this morning, but that's ok, today was a gym day - chest and bis.  But tonight I will be riding, so I bought some new cold weather gear - North Face jacket and windpants to wear over my layers.  The horses will have their winter coats on - it's amazing how furry they get!

Tomorrow will be back outside for a run before dawn.  Well, once you get started it's never quite as bad as you thought it would be, right??????

Imagine, Claire taking up running.  Is there anything you DON'T do?  You're an inspiration.

Back on track with the clean eating - no more excuses!!

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited January 2013

Hi girls, it's Ms. MIA here-

I wrote this long boring post and deleted.  Suffice it to say I had my first gastro problem in my life with excess acid, so much so I ended up in ER on the 29th.   Many tests later, which I came out shining, I have excess stomach acid/gastritis.  Even had colonoscopy moved up by gastro to double check, it was perfect.  

My eating was horrible in December and I really paid for it.  The only good news is I lost weight that I likely needed to lose, but I don't recommend it!  Gastro docs have lingering question about Arimidex and stomach issue.  I don't know...

ANYWAY

The colonoscopy was on New Years Eve, so I had a quiet evening.  I hope to get out today and ENJOY THE OUTSIDE (sorry, am I yelling?)

I missed you guys!

Ruth, I thought about you a lot re Newtown, and all my other teaching friends, including my dear sister.  I am impressed with all of your efforts to stay fit during the holidays despite weather, chemo, colds and flus, parties, ill parents, surgeries, etc.  I am very glad to see you all here!

My 2013 resolution: STOP WORRYING SO MUCH.  In fact, in the words of Bridget Jones, STOP WORRYING FULL STOP.  This stupid breast cancer $#!t has turned me into a crazed woman in the brain.  So I will exercise my way out of it.

XO

Kim

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2013

Peb - the studies are mixed about whether those who are at risk for LE, but who don't have it yet, should wear a compression sleeve and gauntlet (compression sleeves should never be worn without a compression gauntlet or glove).  There was a study done called the PAL protocol that studied the effect of weight lifting for those who were at risk for LE.  The study showed that if done properly, lifting weights does not increase the chances of aquiring LE. That "if done properly" is important - that means doing exactly as Ruth suggested - start with ridiculously low weights, like one pound and very few reps.  If you can do this for 2 weeks or so without any signs of LE (swelling, tingling, a "heavy" feeling in the arm, etc.) then increase weights and/or reps minimally.  STOP if you feel anything strange in the affected arm, hand, fingers, breast area, or trunk.  LE is often not limited to the arm, but can develop in the chest and trunk as well, so you need to be aware. Also, there is some indications that we should avoid those ROM exercises like the wall walking exercises or any reaching higher than our shoulders for at least a week to 10 days after surgery to give the traumatized lymphatics a chance to heal.  The study showed that the incidence of LE was much lower for women who waited a week or 10 days to start those exercises, with no difference after a year in ROM.

That said, it's important to exercise, so don't let the fear of LE stop you from exercising.  Just be sensible about it and don't plunge in full blown with heavy weights.  Also avoid things like push ups and downward dog until you develop some strength back.  Aerobic exercise is a great help for LE as the deep breathing helps stimulate the lymphatic system.  You may want to check out the LE section here on BCO, and also the Step Up Speak Out website:  http://www.stepup-speakout.org/.   You could also ask your surgeon for a referral to a certified lymphedema therapist.  The CLT can take baseline measurements and make sure that you are not showing any signs of LE now.  The CLT can also help you develop a safe exercise program. 

Kim, good to see you, but yikes!  What a December you've had.  Glad that you seem to be on the mend now.  Take care of yourself!  Badger - sorry about Wisconsin yesterday - I watched that game.  Cry  Heidi - running can be addictive, can't it?  On to the 10K for you - if you can do a 5K you can absolutely train for a 10K.  Here's a training program I've found helpful - I'm using his half marathon training as my template:  http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program And of course there's the Galloway run/walk system, plus all the various Couch to 10K systems.  I looked at a bunch of these scheduled on line and kind of cobbled together my own training schedule that works for me. 

3 mile run yesterday, 30 minutes elliptical today plus Lebeds.  Like so many of you here, I'm glad to be getting back into routine after the holidays. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been bad these last two weeks, hardly any exercise, but time to get back on track.  So I got up this morning and did Classical Stretch, except I wasn't very stretchy, it's amazing how much flexibility you can lose in 2 weeks.  Hope to get out and walk at lunchtime, still a lot of snow here, and very cold today, but I need exercise and not excuses.  Tomorrow is spin class after work.

Can anyone recommend a weight lifting program to follow at home?  I had been going to the gym and doing the weight machines, but think I might like to have a home routine.

Pat

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the links, Mary. Also really interesting about the ROM exercises. I developed frozen shoulder right after surgery and could do only very gentle PT exercises. 

Just 30 minutes with the bosu ball to start off 2013.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2013

Got to the gym this morning for freestyle step and enjoyed this new routine.

Great to read that we are moving our bootys!  Wink

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2013

1.5 hours hot yoga. Great follow up with the surgeon!

Kim- hi sweetie!! So glad to hear from you and hope you are feeling better.

Mary- gosh, what great LE info. :)

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited January 2013

ugh! I was supposed to do zumba and ended up at ihop

• Leftthisforum
    Leftthisforum Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

I walk my dog twice a day...nothing too strenuous but it makes my pooch and I very happy...sunshine fresh air and trees. Then every second day I ride my bike for 45 minutes. I may start skipping rope again but not sure. The thing is that i have kept this up for a few years so it's a routine I know I can stick to.

I make sure to download new music every few weeks on my ipod so I don't get bored.

For those that don't exercise due to fatigue...I suggest start slowly even with just five mins a day like I did because it does get easier. You don't need to exercise like an athelete  either. People with cancer have enough to worry about without feeling guilty about lack of exercise so be kind to yourself I say.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited January 2013

30 minutes on the treadmill this morning & 30 tonight....busy day & still have more to do.

Hi, Kim! Good to see you. I have some good 'stress reduction'/meditation type CDs that help me when I feel stressed. I was in a little shop while on vacation that sold items from Nepal and bought a CD with beautiful music and chanting called 'Inner Peace'.....I have no idea what they are saying, for all I know they could be saying "hahaha, we have taken your money", but it does sound peaceful to me.

Tomorrow I am off the holiday eating binge and back to a more healthy diet....really I promise Innocent (me being angelic).

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

I am back into my routine....finally.  So my weights/crunches for the day plus a walk.  Hoping for skiing this weekend.

All this said, I am STILL not completely over this flu.  I needed a nap, and fortunately was able to take one.

Roast chicken in the oven so a grand dinner ahead.  I have leftover rutabaga and mashed potato, so only peas to make.  I can do this!

I just snagged a hydration/backpack so ahead of the game for snowshoeing/skiing/hiking adventures.  Present from the maintenance guy here who rescued it from the trash.  In great shape, and one thing I don't need to buy.

I do have one important reflection that I want to share.  New Year's Resolutions are filled with self-torture, deprivation, and penance.  Why the need to punish ourselves that way???   This is not Original Sin.  I am adding in running and have feelers out for the best steamed chocolate pudding ever.  I want to add in BOTH.  I also expect to come out better than even in this deal, and far happier.

Can't wait for my roast chicken to be done.  YUM!!!!!!!! - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

I want to hire Claire to be my chef!!!! Your meals always sound so yummy!

Pat, the FIRM has really good weight DVDs, as does Denise Austin (the FIRM being the more intense of the two). I like DVDs because they exercise all the different muscle groups, whereas when I'm doing it on my own, I am just guessing.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Sh'bam and Body Combat classes for me today and then a customer gave me a box of chocolate truffles sigh....... you know I have no willpowerCry

Mary forgot to say congratulations on 5 years, woohooooooo.  Yikes Kim what a way to spend New Years eve but glad to see you again.  Claire I love your reflection.  Glad you got a good report misswim.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited January 2013

Back to the routine after vacation - it's great to travel but oh so nice to get back home again.   Post trip weigh-in was not as bad as I thought it would be - up one pound.  Laughing

Did one hour of Anthony Lett pilates stretch yesterday - wow - deepest and most effective stretches I've ever done.  Need to get out and get some good cardio in today,  hoping it's not too icy outside.   The exercise DVD that I ordered finally arrived - Core Fusion cardio - so on those cruddy weather days this will be another of my cardio workouts.  

Oh - and speaking of cruddy weather days - my son's running coach told me about running shoes for snowy/icy days that she uses and loves.  We have ordered them for my DS.  If they are effective for him, I may get a pair for myself - so miss getting out on the trail these days.  

Mary  Congrats on 5 years!  Thanks for the great LE post.  Hi Kim!  

Hugs ~

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2013

hi ladies and welcome crazybirdlady.  Good to see you Kim, what a Dec you had!

LOL Carrol for zumba-ihop and you too Ruth for haha we have taken your money.

You guys are the best!  Yesterday was a better health day than the day before.

Ate sensibly and got in a walk at lunchtime, then p.m. yoga.  Back to the plateau.

But now I know I can beat my wheat addiction and lose those last ten pounds! SealedSmile

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2013

I did get out for my walk yesterday at lunch, brisk!  And my crunches before bed, and a little classical stretch this morning.  No walk today, heading off to a funeral for a coworkers wife, then back to work for a New Years luncheon - Chineese food, not the healthiest choice, so I will try to be strong and exercise portion control.  But going back to spin class tonight, looking forward to that.

Thanks for the DVD suggestions Ruth.  The only place we have a DVD player is in the living room, and hubby takes that over for tv viewing in the evening.  I might look online for some weight routine videos and can do them with my Ipad in the bedroom, while he is watching his hunting/alaska/moonshine/swamp people!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

Sounds like my DH. We have a TV in the spare bedroom (I don't want one in ours), and I banish him there with the swamp people/auctioneer shows when I need the living room TV.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2013

45 minutes weights/core/Lebeds this morning. 

Ahh, yes - the joys of Spike TV!  Tongue Out

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2013

It's a small thing but I found I can still walk up 5 flights of stairs to get to my office without too much fatigue/breathlessness!  I wasn't sure this would be possible once chemo started and I'm psyched that it is!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited January 2013

Zumba!!!

thats all i gotta say

• LuvLulu07
    edited January 2013

Hour of the new Core Fusion DVD.  It started slowly, and I thought that I might have wasted my money - but it picked up and I was sweating and happy at the end.   LE is flaring a bit Tongue Out so I'll do MLD this evening.  

• luvlulu
    edited January 2013

My kick ass running partner was sick today - she's NEVER sick - but I silently thanked the good Lord that she didn't force me outside in this 6 degree weather this morning.  Instead I went to the gym and did 45 minutes on the elliptical.

• luvlulu
    edited January 2013

PS Nicole - why do you say 5 flights is such a small thing???  How many so-called "healthy" people can manage that???

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

Hey exercisers!  Carrol2, congratulations on Zumba conquering IHOP.  

Yesterday I went outdoors to do some hooping with my new iPod and danced and played all through the Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed" album.  I've been working on hooping on the elbows lately, and it's not very indoor-friendly. It was nice to be chasing the hoop around the driveway instead of having it crash into things indoors.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2013

Walked at lunchtime, sunny but cold (in the 20's).  Tolerable when bundled up & moving.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

30 minutes on treadmill & 30 toning with Denise Austin.

DS just called and the business where he had his (enjoyable) internship has offered him a full time 'real' job with a salary, benefits and everything. He is very pleased (as are his parents! Smile).

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2013

My Vermont friend called to say she thought of me when she went walking with her dogs on this glorious and frosty winter day. The temp had just made it to zero, but just as clear as could be.  Dogs too are hardy types as they were out last night in the -10s playing and barking at whatever ventured forth.

I think this must have something to do with the time we went skiing in sub zero temps, and even the chocolate froze.

We are over our sunny spell, so got wet walking to the supermarket and back.  Feeling so much better today, and was able to concentrate on work.  I think the good food last night helped.

Congrats on your son's landing, Ruthbru!  Personally, I would have ditched Denise and headed straight for the champagne.  Perhaps with some chocolate-colored strawberries.  You can afford these things now that DS is gainfully employed.

Off to have some leftover chicken. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited January 2013

I have to save the champagne and chocolate until after I lose the 5 pounds I found on my Christmas vacation Food Orgy!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2013

Ah Ruth go crazy it's the same lbs we keep losing and findingTongue Out and congrats to your DS. Whatchatalkin 'bout Nicole I'll bet there are kazillions of people who can't even do 5 flights of stairs, you rock girlWink  I have to say that yes I've been exercising regularly since my diagnosis but last night while I was in the Body Combat class I was amazed that me, an almost 63 year old could outlast quite a few 20 somethings who took more breaks and gave up cause they ran out of steam.  Tonight did RPM class.

• LuvLulu07
    edited January 2013

Ann  Would love to see some of your hooping, sounds absolutely fantastic.  ruth  Woohoo for your son's new job - way to bring in the New Year!   

Off to Mexican for lunch with my kids - they're still on break Tongue Out so I'm trying to keep them engaged and off of  electronics.   This Mexican restaurant is kind of like Chipotle in the States - yum - I'll get the burrito salad that I love, and can still stay on track.  

Plans to go hiking this afternoon with my dog.  Temps are in the 40's this week!!