Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited June 2013

Wow Cheryl, I am tired just READING your post!

I had a 'Do Outside Things in Crummy Weather Day': walked the 5K in the 42 degrees/brisk north wind morning (almost was late because I was digging out my underarmor, gloves etc). It was actually fun anyway, walked with a friend & gabbed the whole way (doing about 15 minute miles, which I thought was good). Came home, took a HOT shower, grabbed some blankets, went & watched some baseball, and then went to a fund raiser 'Rib Feast' put on by a local nursing home (outside, of their grounds). Came home & did 45 minutes of toning...plan to take another hot shower & do nothing else for the rest of the night!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Woo hoo!  2 1/2 hours of ocean kayaking!  

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Sab, sounds like the ocean kayaking was a blast....are you hooked?

I must have had a rest day today...we get rest days, right? At least, I didn't really exercise unless you count traveling around the back roads going to artist workshops. Fun day.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

Oh dear, the doing a 'Cheryl' bar has once again been raised!Wink SAB - Wow, I'd love to ocean kayak.  Ruth good for you on the 5k walk having fun. Joy I've always wanted to try pilates on a reformer.

Yesterday afternoon I changed into running gear and headed out the backdoor to run down the road I take as always for my run. At that same moment, the Help For Heroes Big Battlefield Bike Ride went right in front of our house and down the road, through small Kent villages and onto the end in London today. They started in Paris last Monday.

I could not believe it as I was heading up the first fairly steep hill and and six-man/seater recumbent bike rode by me. I yelled, you guys are doing great and one rider said, are you American? Yup I yelled back and he said, well a whole pack of American's are behind us. Sure enough a super fit (rather handsome) guy in union jack bike shorts rode up as I paced and asked if I was American and yup, he flashed a big wide US white tooth smile and said we are everywhere and rode on. I wished them well and took a left down the road onto my usual 5k track loop.

While running it became clear to me that recovery and pushing forward -- reaching past what I think I can do is the focus of life at this point in time. I'll never forget seeing six fit men, clearly each with some type of disability pedaling this specially constructed bike with a huge blue, red and light blue Help For Heroes flag on a long pole flying and waving off the back.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Thank you for sharing that amazing moment with us, Lilac.

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2013

Thanks, Ruth! Good to be here! I ran a 5k this morning for The Lynn Cancer Institute -where I am being treated - to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2013

LB thanks that was beautiful.  I have tears in my eyes.  Ruth, they go past historic WWI & WWII battle sites, which I am just now reading about in Ken Follett's Fall of Giants.  http://helpforheroes.org.uk/get-involved/challenge-events/cycling/big-battlefield-bike-ride-2013-full/

Pretty day here but still chilly, will go walk once it warms up a tad.  Welcome back Maria.  ♥

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2013

NICE, Lilac. That inspires the rest of us.

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited June 2013

we took the kids to the zoo yesterday and walked around for 4 hours, biked 75 minute today (11 miles) and walked the dog with the kids for 20 minutes. 

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2013

Lilac  Great post, I can picture those men in my mind - thanks for sharing!  Woohoo cheryl, on your incredible workout!  

Did 30 minutes of pilates jump board.  Wanted to go for a trail run but the weather isn't cooperating.  Tongue Out 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2013

Very inspiring, Lilac - thanks for sharing.

Jenjenl: I bet you had a great time at the zoo!

Walked/ran this evening. Showers expected tonight and tomorrow. My prayers are still with all those affected by the tornados.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2013

Ann, another door will open as this one closes. Glad you are getting severance pay to help ease the transition.

Lilacblue, your post was truly beautiful. What a motivating story.

Lulu, hope you enjoyed enjoyed a few minutes during the main/pedi....

Cheryl, I wish I had your energy...you are inspiring!

Squeezed limited exercise in over the weekend as it was crazy busy. Did manage an hour in the pool today and hope the weather will allow more swim time this week.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2013

Am in a major swoon from a Copper River Salmon dinner with wine.  Waited until the 2for1 sale at Met Market.  Yum!

Otherwise, got in 2 long rides this weekend and rested my fried brain.  Did a bit of work to get a jump on the week.

Weather here is sunny and cool.  Just gorgeous.

Today's ride was past the cruise ships.  I love it when people come to Seattle for a cruise and discover that their "cruise wear" doesn't cut it.  The joke among the downtown merchants is you can tell the cruise crowd.  They are the ones buying sweaters and parkas June-August!!!

Equally funny is how few see cyclists regularly.

Wishing everyone a fabulous week. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

DH and I spent 2 1/2 hours REALLY cleaning the garage this afternoon (note to self: do this more than once every ten years from now on!!!), put out the patio furniture, then went for a long walk with a friend (the sun was actually out), and my nice, easy Pilates Challenge. More clouds and rain are predicted for next week.

Lilac's post reminded me of a favorite Hemingway quote:  

"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places."

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013

LilacBlue, great story!  Cheryl, you have totally kicked my butt, I think I can manage 8 pushups.  Badger, early morning and birds sounds lovely.

Walked six miles yesterday at an art festival, wow I was sore and I couldn't believe the DH made it.  In fact he set the pace faster than I would have done on my own.  Did 30 minutes hooping today and some extra napping.

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2013

After a break that inadvertently lasted several days, tonight I did a fast walk and run for 2 miles.  I know I can't let a busy live schedule get in the way of exercising--which may help save my life!!  

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2013

Lilac truly inspirational.  Ah Ruth npw it's cleared out you'll be able to get more stuffWink

This morning did a Body Step class, my Vietnamese friends brought egg rolls so I had eaten three of them before I'd walked out the door of the gym - and that ladies is why I exercise, I LOVE to eatLaughing  I have to say if anyone ever gets a chance to do a Barre class, go for it, I ache in places I didn't know could ache.  Ruth tomorrow night I am going to see the wonderful Eduardo, it's been months I hope I'm up to the challenge ... sigh, swoonTongue Out

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Wow - lots of catching up to do.  Ann - crummy news about the layoff.  Hopefully you can find something quickly.  LB - great story on the Hero bikers - thanks for sharing.  Cheryl I'm enjoying the visual of you rolling right out the door.  Wink  The gym Open House sounds exhausting but fun. Lulu - I'm surprised they wanted to mammo your TRAM breast - I have a bilat DIEP and don't do mammos any more since there's just belly fat there.  I also don't want to risk damaging the flap in any way.  Different doctors, I guess. SAB - Ocean Kayaking sounds great!  Maria - congrats on the 5K.  Ruth - a clean garage - lots of dirty dusty work but oh so worth it!

We're almost done with downstairs.  Why do home improvement projects always take twice as long as you plan for??  UndecidedWe've primed and painted (painting over dark paneling is a challenge) and this weekend we painted all the trim dh had measured out and cut, and we almost finished - ceiling trim, chair rail, and baseboard all the way around.  Hopefully we'll do the rest tonight.  The carpet guy will come out to measure tomorrow for the new carpet, and it should be installed in a week or 10 days.  I can't wait to get everything organized again - that's our workout space, and it's been tough to workout with all the remodeling materials and debris all over.  I think that's one reason I had such a hard time working out last month.  But went for a 4 mile run yesterday, then did yard work and helped DH install trim.  I had to do more walking than I liked on my run, but it's a start.  Did a 30 minute yoga DVD this morning, so I'm getting back on track with exercise. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Yesterday 7.5 mile hike.  Today spin and yoga.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

30 minutes lower body and the treadmill. This afternoon, I went to a furniture store looking for a plant stand and ended up buying a couch.....Tongue Out

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2013

Did a run this evening and signed up for Flying Wheels on Saturday (65 mile prep ride for the Seattle-to-Portland).  While sliding into my running bottoms (the opaque ones!), admired my trimmer legs and butt.  I still need to lift weights.

Ruth....this could be the start of a dangerous trend.  Enjoy your new couch.

Congrats Mary on being nearly finished with the downstairs.  That should be good for a year or 2 of gloating.

I was trying to test a data analysis software, but couldn't log on.  I think that is my computer telling me time to hang it up for the evening. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2013

Sh'bam this morning and then tonight Body Combat with the wonderful Eduardo, the only word to describe me is "exhausted"

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

Thank you lovely my fit friends and got online Sunday and gave a doniation to Help For Heroes.  Yesterday body step and pilates, today, body balance and 5k slated. Sitting here finishing my 1st cup of joe with the sun streaming through the kitchen window.  Supposed to be a sunny, warm day here. 

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013

Cheryl-- yum, eggrolls!  I am with you, I hope more exercise will enable more eating.  Mary what an accomplishment on the house.  Claire how frustrating and I agree it's obviously a sign you should call it a day.

Just 30 minutes of hooping today.  Got my unemployment application in today and thinking about next steps.

• shinning_like_me
    shinning_like_me Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2013

Hey there,

I walk every morning for 20- 30 minutes and jog a little than do deep breathing.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Ruth - sounds like something out of Alice in Wonderland - why is a plant stand like a couch?  Tongue Out  Cheryl and Eduardo - everytime you guys get back together I always hear that Peaches and Herb song - Reunited and it feels so gooooooooooood!  Claire - agreed that your computer was definitely trying to tell you something! Ann - I'm glad you got a bit of severance and that the unemployment has kicked in - that will give you a bit of breathing room as you figure out the next step.  In the meantime, maybe you could pick up a few extra $$$ by becoming a hooping instructor - I work for our local Rec Dept and we're always looking for instructors.  Maybe your local Rec Dept or the Y would love to have a hooping instructor offer a few classes.  SAB - great job on the hike! Welcome shinning!

Finished installing the trim last night - so nice to get the table saw out of there and start cleaning up the rest of the construction debris.  

2 mile run this morning - slow but sure.  Enjoying getting back into it after the month off.  "Footloose" is the first song I have on my current iPhone playlist - always good to get me going! 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited June 2013

Welcome shinning!  Mary, you are going to love having new carpet.

Well, I am still in an exercise funk.  Tried a little classical stretch this morning, and will try to walk at lunch, but I really need to restart with arms, crunches, and jogging.  Just not getting to the gym to run these days with all the wedding prep.  Even though I know it would make me feel better and give me more energy, I feel like I don't have the time (when really it is just an excuse!)  Bleh - now I'm whining...  as I sit here typing this I think of more excuses...  gotta get moving again!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

I am at work and just finished cleaning out a whole closet, so am taking a break.

pat, do what I do and get an 'Exercise Notebook'. Decide on your weekly goals (mine are 4 hours of aerobics and 3 of toning). Break them down into 15 minute increments and check them off as you do them....that MAKES me exercise whether I want to do not.

Welcome, shinning!

Ann, it would be so fun for you to teach hooping!

I have been 'sort of' looking for a couch in certain color (a shade of mossy green) but have never been able to find just exactly what I wanted, color/texture/look/feel (hence my really old floral colored couch has been covered in slip covers for quite some time), so when I walked into the furniture store and saw THE couch I have been looking for, AND it was on sale...what else could I do but buy it.....

Cheryl + Eduardo=hot, hot, hot Wink

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2013

Ruth: Don't you just love when you finally find what you were looking for without really seeking it out? Enjoy taking nice, long naps on it.

Walked this morning and just got in from my evening walk/run. Humidity is better tonight.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

45 minutes on the treadmill & 30 abs.