Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Made my 10,000 steps today including over an hour of brisk walking and then strength training and stretching. Feels good.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited May 2013

Today was a little housekeeping, a short rest (not really a nap), and then walk/ran under a beautiful Carolina blue sky.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

LuvLuLu, I'll bet you're glad to be a year away from that diagnosis.  My one year is almost here as well.

Still keeping up with the hooping challenge, day 24.  It's really been something putting a timer on the daily sessions.  My skills have improved and I've learned new tricks and even invented a couple. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited May 2013

Welcome Morwenna!

Well girls, I am officially retired. I have eaten more cake and had more nice things said about me than will ever happen to me again in my life. So it has been pretty emotional (and fattening). I have been blessed to do something I've loved, work with great people, and to leave because it is my choice (ie not health related and/or because I don't have the energy for it). It will take me a couple weeks to sort through 38 years of 'stuff', get things ready for the new teacher, and help with next year's scheduling....so I am not quite 'done, done' yet. 

Anyway, I walked on the treadmill for an hour & then did an hour of toning when I got home tonight. I would like to plant flowers this weekend, if it would ever quit raining!!!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

patoo, wanted to add that a three friends of mine have had hip replacement and were absolutely THRILLED with the results....feeling great, able to do their full activities pain-free, and wished that they had done it sooner!

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Ruth, congrats! Now on to the next stage of your life!  May it be good and long and happy and healthy.Cool

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Congratulations Ruth and lucky one's who have been taught by you for 38 years - WoW! Laughing

Ran a 5k this afternoon and now have a couple of ducks roasting in the oven for din-din.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

ruthbru, congrats on the retirement.  looking forward to joining you in retirement about this time next year.  I'm not really worried about the hip replacement and really looking forward to relief.  Would have it done sooner but refuse to give up our MD/DC girls weekend nor my visit to LV in September with my sisters.  I have my priorities!

Feeling lazy today probably because weather is yucky.  Will get in some kind of movement though.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Hiked/ran 5.5 miles of trail with DH.  Now off to see DD.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited May 2013

Congrats on wrapping up 38 years, Ruth!  Woohooo! 

My Zumba and Body Jam instructors seem to all be taking vacations at the same time. I may have to start running again.

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited May 2013

I am hoping to get my butt on my bike today - I think radiation is zapping my energy.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2013

They say that watching legislation being made is akin to watching sausage being made, and that may be true, but how'd you know if you can't see it?  Committee would convene, then "stand informal" and go into a back room for an hour, make their deals, then come out and agree on a motion doing who-knows-what because it's so fresh, the photocopies were literally hot off the press.  They finally wrapped up around 9 p.m. so no walk Thurs but did double Fri. 

Nice walk down State Street over the lunch hour, then around the 'hood after work.  Was sleep-deprived so crashed on the couch after supper.  Walked this morning then on to errands and a nap.  19.29 km = 11.99 mi since last post.  That puts me over goal of 3,500 <woo-hoo> so I will up my goal to 4,000 miles walked since dx.

congrats Ruth on retirement!  good luck tomorrow LuvLuLu!  Happy weekend to all! ♥

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Congratulations Ruth, gosh now you'll be able to do exciting things like hang out and frighten the you know what out of Tigger, give him what for when he's not expecting it cause he's used to you being at work!!! Good luck tomorrow Lulu hope the rain stays away. Haha Heidi, I get it, you should have seen me in Jam the other night throw down, hammer right left right, left right left and then body roll like the matrix - yeah like that is really happening :). Patoo I'm glad you have a game plan to get the hip replaced. Badger before you know it you'll have walked coast to coast and back.

Body Combat class this morning.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

I managed 2.5m brisk walk, but that's about all today :0

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

Good luck, tomorrow, Luvlulu!

Thanks for the good wishes. Man, if all my retirement days are this busy, I will be in trouble! I wrote thank you notes all morning, did errands after noon, went to coffee with my nursing home buddies, cleaned out the flower beds and planted, planted, planted flowers all the rest of the afternoon. Took a quick shower and went to a fun graduation party tonight (graduation is tomorrow). Squeezed in 30 minutes of abs and 15 minute walk. YAWN!!!!!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2013

Congratulations, Ruth.  It's great you got so much recognition and cake.

Did lots of pruning in the yard and my 30 minutes of hooping.  I have grape vines taking over a tree, so I decided to give the tree some help.  They're also taking over another flowering vine, but they can just duke it out.

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013

Congratulations Ruth!  I hope you enjoy the cleaning up!  Wishing you all the best in shifting gears to what comes next!

Welcome Morwenna.  So sorry to hear about your challenges during AC.  Glad that deep water aerobics works for you.  I have done it a few times in the summer and it IS a GREAT workout! Laughing

Swam laps for 45 minutes today while my daughter was at a swimming party at the aquatic center.  Swimming makes my body heavy in a way that no other exercise does. Time to give this heavy body it's daily dose of tamoxifen and then off to bed!   'Night sisters!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2013

Stuffed vine leaves????  Note that I am ALWAYS thinking of food.  For instance, am thrilled to see all the blackberries in flower.  Amazing fruit, not to mention HONEY.  My fave ever.

I cycled 36 miles today after a phone chat with a friend who didn't do everything recommended at the getgo.  So now, she has to go through it all AGAIN.  Think she will be fine though.

Work too....but did get in a 36 mile ride.  Plan for 100 miles this weekend.  So on track.  Got chatted up by a very young guy who was intrigued that I was in training for the STP.

Wonderful dinner with wine.  Time for bed, which suspect I will crash into.

Somehow suspect I will sleep just fine.  Work.....major ride....wine.  All this works fine for me. - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited May 2013

Luvlulu - sending you terrific speedy vibes and wishing you the best and all of you running! Cool

Badger, I'm watching you watching and I care too.Wink

Rest day for me and with the sun is out, not raining...finally a spring like day.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited May 2013

LuvLuLu  Good luck, have fun today!!  ruth  Congrats on retiring - you deserve all of the accolades!  patoo  I have several friends with new hips, they have all done great.  badger   Woohooo on your miles walked!  

Organized the school's yard sale held yesterday - a charitable community event attended by many.  So happy that the year's obligations are now over and I can enjoy some time off to read, get more exercise, just take a breath!

Getting out for a trail hike/run, hoping that the rain holds off for a little while.  

Happy Weekend ~

• jenjenl
    edited May 2013

I got on the bike and did 45 minutes.  Was a long 45 minutes with my kids running around me like crazy....not enjoyable at all.  I like to do it before dinner but after dinner doesn't work too well.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2013

Been reading daily and keeping up with my exercise regimen with additional chores in between. Today is my weekly rest day but if is pretty out, I will likely do a leisurely walk anyway.

Ruth, congrats on retirement!!You have devoted a chapter of your life to teaching and I wish you the best chapter now.

Happy Memorial Day ladies. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday weekend.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

Off to church but have my bag packed for water aerobics after.  Then it looks like a great day so probably get in a walk as well.

• jessica749
    jessica749 Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2013

Maybe this was already posted somewhere but thought it was interesting: re HOW it is that exercise may lower breast cancer (E+) risk....not just about fat/lower fat levels...

http://healthland.time.com/2013/05/08/how-exercise-may-lower-breast-cancer-risk/

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2013

Thanks, girlfriends, for the well wishes!  It was such a fun run in spite of the damp, dreary weather. I finished well within my goal time and my son's goal was for 2 hours, this being his first half-marathon, and he finished in 1:45!!  Aaaaah, to have young legs again.

• jenjenl
    edited May 2013

an hour walk with my kids at a snails pace...

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2013

I made a huge pile of stuffed vineleaves a few weeks ago, and they were so good. I filled them with mixed, wholegrain rice (red, brown etc) that I had boiled beforehand. The rice was mixed with a bit of sauteed onion and garlic, loads of fresh herbs - parsley, dill and mint - as well as coarsely chopped pistacios. We eat them cold with lemon and olive oil.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2013

Congratulations Lulu. Momine sounds delicious. Jen doesn't mater about the snails pace, you did it and that's what counts.

Today did Body Pump followed by a low impact Body Step, now off to shower and head out to the movies.

Speaking of DC, Mary where are you, hope you're okay, maybe getting ready for the onslaught!!,

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2013

We are moved. In the pouring rain. Got the last box off the truck and rushed to the yoga studio (3 mins from the new house!!!) to practice with one of my fave teachers from Baltimore doing a workshop. 2.5 hours in 100 degree heat. After barely any exercise. I thought I might collapse. Instead, totally inspired to get right back to it!! Off to another class tonight. Screw the boxes!!

Love to all!!!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2013

Great job, Lulu!

Yum, Momine.

The boxes will wait, misswim. I'm pretty sure that no one will sneak in and unpack them if you are off doing more fun things.

Jen, you will have to find a way to occasionally ditch the kids!

Cold, windy and damp here. Got up early, did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 30 of Arms, Abs and Buns of Steel. Went to church, lunch, wrote more cards, did Pliates Challenge and in hour we are off to four more graduation receptions (CAKE times FOUR Surprised), then am going to Gatsby with a friend who is in town for the weekend (DH feels that he would rather be boiled in oil than see it.... so I better go when I have an offer!).