Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2013

I am bagging the long cycling event I had planned.  It's wet out and I don't want to do 76 miles in rain.  Or the over one hour drive each way.  So will do something shorter in a bit.  Just got a coupon for PG Tips (buy one, get one free), so will make sure I use that too.

Joy....are you sure it's LE?  I swell in all limbs when really hot out.  Swimming in somewhat chilly water helps.

Strawbery shortcake yesterday was worth riding for.  Plus bicycle was the only way to do the festival as packed with cars.  We cycled in and right out.  I had mine with extra whipped cream.

My big excitement is that running has really improved the flexibility in both feet.  This means I can grip and wear my open-back heels again....so a lot of summer shoes!!  I was so excited, and was walking about in my cool, pink Prada clogs.  I am equally happy that I was too lazy to throw them out.  I still have some that need to go, but about 5 of my fave shoes ever than I can wear again!

So another major benefit from exercise, and I was one of the fit ones.  My balance is better now too, as feet have a lot to do with stability.  I noticed that almost immediately taking stairs.  Walking is better too.

Back into my cycling clothes..... - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

Ran 5k this afternoon.

Wonderland, I too am pleased your SIL is eating better and holding steady.

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited June 2013

did 20min of weights yesterday and 30min on the cross trainer

it is hot and humid as all hell today in Toronto so no walk as i planned :( 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2013

Rozem, I use 3-pound weights for the arms. I always wear a sleeve and glove when working out. When I started a year and a bit ago, I did 6 reps on each arm, one exercise only. I slowly, slowly built up. Any pain, stinging or weirdness and you should stop. Also, try to stick to some sort of regular routine. If you stop, you have to go back to step one and build up slowly again.

I still use the 3-pounds weights, but I do more reps and more exercises. I also use a couple of the upper body machines that I couldn't budge a year ago. 

My routine is about 30-40 minutes 3X a week, and I think I am getting to look pretty damn good for an old lady (50) with no tits ;)

• Momine
    edited June 2013

Thought you ladies might appreciate this. Went to the onc a few days ago, for the quarterly check. So he is asking various doctor-type questions. We get to the femara, and the dude actually asks me if I am able to move OK and get around. I told him that considering that I walk about an hour a day, minimum, and go to the gym 3X a week, I think I am doing OK in the moving around department. His jaw dropped and he told me to keep up the good work (I am in Greece, and very few Greek ladies my age work out or even walk).

• claire_in_seattle
    edited June 2013

Hi Momine...

Thanks for the laugh.  I remember being asked at the very end of Taxol by the onc who was filling in if I had "balance problems".  I replied that I had cycled 30 miles the prior day!

I know he needed this for the study (SWOG 0221) notes, but still the same point.

I realize now (see prior post) that I did, but don't think that "not being comfortable wearing open-backed shoes" was quite what they had in mind.  Plus, it was still cold out, so who knew.

Anyway, my current onc (a lady at least 20 years younger than I am) just shakes her head when she hears of my latest.

I can't wait to tell her that the big change in my health is that I have taken up running!  Appointment is the day before the Seattle-to-Portland. - Claire

• Momine
    edited June 2013

Claire, yes, it gave me a chuckle too, although I am nowhere near your activity level.

Also, I do appreciate that he asked. Femara CAN do a number on mobility. I have problems from it, but I figure that my feet are going to hurt whether I sit or get out for a walk, so I might as well walk (which usually makes it better anyway).

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited June 2013

Ha! Momonie, I am CERTAIN that you look pretty damned good! Cool

Walked & did an hour of spot toning with Denise Austin.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2013

Hi Girls! Hour of power hot yoga on Saturday, followed by laps in the pool; Today we went to a big sailing event that raises money for cancer research, and walked to it from our house- 3 miles each way. Beautiful day!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2013

Hello Ladies, I'm new here and have the same concern Rozem did/does about building up very slowly with upper body work due to the risk of Lymphodema. I wouldn't consider myself to be at very high risk, since I only had two lymph nodes removed, but I guess all of us are at some risk.

I haven't been to the gym since surgery & chemo, but I used to use the weight machines about three times a week. I have 3.3 lb and 5 lb free weights at home. Today I lifted 15.5 oz.cans (of tomatoes Embarassed) with my right arm and figure I'll do that for a week or so before moving up to the 3.3 lb weights at home.

My DH & I walk our three dogs a mile every evening even in the miserable South Texas summer and I've at least been able to keep up with that during chemo & rads. Will be doing that tonight as usual.

I still have ten more radiation treatments to go and hope to step up the exercise after that. I'm six weeks out from chemo now.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2013

Welcome AnnieLane....Dogs are great for keeping us moving, huh? I have two myself.

Spent the day swimming and jogging in the pool. Got a good dose of vitamin D too......

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Welcome, Anne!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited June 2013

AnnieLane it sounds as though you are doing just fine considering being just out of chemo and into rads so soon. Doing your mile a night in heat is really good.

I am almost 5 months past chemo now and 4 months since surgery and a week post rads and am feeling better every day.  I walked 5 k with my neighbour this afternoon and another 5 k late afternoon with my son who was completing another one of his triathlons for charity. I had not planned on 10 k but it worked out fine.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2013

Welcome AnnieLane you are doing amazing. Momine my feet give me grief as well but I just figure it's from all the pounding I give them, I have orthotic inserts in my shoes which have helped tremendously and I found these gel toe covers that I put on to stop my middle toe rubbing against the top of my shoe, I have 3 more months on Femara, it will be interesting to see what happens when I take my last one.

Today did Body Step class, had to cut out of there 10 minutes early as was meeting a group for lunch and a meander through shops in a town 25 miles down the coast, one of my friends 92 year old mother joined us, she had a hip replacement 3 months ago and today gave all of us 60 year olds a run for our money.

• Momine
    edited June 2013

Annie, welcome! Slow and steady wins the race. Good for you for walking in the TX heat.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Sounds like everyone's keeping busy.  I like having doctors be amazed at us for good reasons - not "you're an interesting case" type reasons.  We've all had too much of that!

Hot and HUMID here as well!  Did 3.1 mile run yesterday, then continued on for a another 1.5 miles walking to try to cool down, but that never happened.  Then did the Nats Walk - 2 mile round trip between the parking lot and our seats.  All in 90 degree heat. 

30 minute yoga DVD this morning in the cool air conditioned downstairs. 

7 more days of Femara and counting!!!! Like Cheryl says, I'm going to be really interested to see what happens once I stop taking it.  Are these aches, weight gain, fatigue, and other issues all from Femara, are they permanent damage from chemo or surgey, or are they just normal aging?  I really have no idea what normal aging is.  I didn't have a normal menopause as I never had a period again after my first chemo - I joke that I went through menopause in 4 hours.  Between surgeries, chemo, and 5 years of Femara, I've spent a good chunk of my 50's dealing with s/e from one treatment or another.  I can't wait to just be a normal 57 year old and see what that's supposed to be like! Tongue Out

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2013

Took public to a downtown bookstore, lots of walking and schlepping about in the heat so I'm calling it a day with exercise.   Claire, I wish I was mistaken about my LE symptoms but there's no denying that this is what I have.  The effects do not occur as I exercise, but hours and days afterward.  I'm perplexed as how to manage this and continue to run, for now giving running a rest and will work into it again gradually.  Tongue Out   We're due for some cooler weather this week so I'll give it go in the next day or so.  

welcome AnnieLane

Hope that everybody is having a good start to the week ~

• lilacblue
    edited June 2013

No heat here and first Wimbledon surprise at Nadal first-round defeat to world number 135 Steve Darcis of Belgium. 

Body balance and pilates classes at the gym this morning.

Edited to add a welcome to Annie!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited June 2013

lilacblue you just saved me a couple of hours even with my PVR as I came from yoga to watch set 3. Yikes, two years in a row for Rafa. It also means I won't spend so much time watching TV as he is my favourite.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,532
    edited June 2013

how many are meeting in DC?? Trying to keep track of all the get togethers!

• hbcheryl
    edited June 2013

Mods it's currently 7 possibly 8 .... The more the merrier :)

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013

Welcome, AnnieLane!  Mary, congratulations on ending Femara.  I have the same questions about new aches and pains-- is it age, menopause, chemo damage, tamoxifen, or just new exercising?  It will be good to get one of those variables out of the equation.  Claire, congratulations on being able to rescue those poor neglected Prada shoes.  Misswim, nice to see you!  And everyone, keep up the good work.

I'm still hooping 30 minutes a day, plus yardwork-n-sculpt, and the occasional walk.  I'm about to go out and do some paint scraping.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Very nice here; did some abs, walked, and sat on the deck.....lovely!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited June 2013

I was wondering if anyone here has anything to add to the topic I recently posted.  Because this is information I really could have used three years ago.  That is, I would be fine six months out, and then a lot of little things would slowly fall into place.  Two big ones in the past few months. 

I expect there are some other good surprises awaiting me.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/7/topic/806648?page=1#idx_1

Meanwhile, I need to put on my running gear and get out there.

On that topic, I recently read that "foxy" is a lot more inspiring than bagged out.  So another goal to shoot for.  I do know that I feel better when able to showcase the results. - Claire

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2013

I walked a mile in my shoes Laughing

• hbcheryl
    edited June 2013

Did a Sh'bam class this morning and Spin tonight and I am spent, I am still 'feeling' my abs from Saturdays Boot Camp. Lol Annie :)

• NatsFan
    edited June 2013

Yay Annie!

30 minute run - 2 bunnies and a fledge robin being fed by a parent.  The robin fledge was a lot less noisy than the blue jay fledge I saw last week.  Already hot and humid - typical DC summer weather.  DC Meet Up gals - bring lots of hot weather clothing!Tongue Out

• lilacblue
    edited June 2013

New release body balance this morning and early afternoon 5k run.

Sorry for a possible Wimbledon spoiler.Embarassed

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited June 2013

Well, the wedding is behind me and the kids left this morning.  Whew!  It was wonderful - perfect weather, my daughter looked beautiful, great food, great band (zydeco!).  But I am tired with a capital T!  My exercise for the last 10 days has consisted of moving furniture, food, and presents, flapping my lips with all the company, and using my mouth to eat all the wonderful food that was around!  Need to start getting back to some of my routines like my noontime walk, morning stretch, and gotta get back to the gym to start running again as I have an obstacle race coming up in September.

• NatsFan
    edited June 2013

Pat - Congratulations on throwing what sounds like a beautiful wedding for a beautiful daughter! Zydeco music - what fun that must have been - I bet it really got the guests up and moving!  Several of my running mixes include zydeco - you just can't keep still listening to it.  Take some time for yourself and rest on your laurels a bit, and enjoy the great feelings.