Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Oh Claire, you work out so hard...at a completely different level than I am.  I'm sure at 1500 calories you would probably collapse from malnutrition! 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited June 2013

Went on a nice, long walk.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited June 2013

Rushed home from work tonight as my gym started a Barre class at 5pm and it was packed, well I don't know if I got more exercise squeezing the ball or chasing after it and there was lots of laughing and then did my usual 6pm spin class, where our instructor is competing in a body building competition next weekend so needless to say it was hard core and I am exhaustedSmile

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited June 2013

Cheryl - what's a barre class?  It sounds like fun!  Ruth - spa facial - ahhhhhhhh!  Pat - congrats on the 2 year cancerversary  And what a great way to celebrate all the family coming in for the wedding!  When the time comes for the toast to the bride and groom, toast them with your first sip of bubbly.  But on that second sip, give yourself a silent toast to mark your cancerversay - that one's just for you.

30 minute run this morning - 4 bunnies today.  It was 70 degrees with 85% humidity.  I wet down a handtowel and carried it with me so I could wipe off my face periodically.  Yep, it's summertime!

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2013

Don'tcha love summertime, Nats?  Nothing like that good sweat.  It was in the 60's here this morning.  8 mile run. So nice that the sun is up at 5:00!!  Hot yoga this afternoon if I can sneak out of work early.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2013

Raining tonight so 2 mile walk with Leslie.  Between you, my sculpted sisters, and loseit.com I may just pull off staying on track with exercise and food.  Thanks all.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

FIRM 500 Calorie Workout.....which I was forced to do because I ate HALF a medium pizza for supper (does it make it any less horrifying that it was thin crust? Frown).

• hbcheryl
    edited June 2013

Mary a Barre class is a butt kickerEmbarassed  You start out doing floor exercises lots of balance, I can balance on my left foot but on my right, well forget about it, then you move to a Ballet Bar and you have a ball, you take the ball and it goes between your thighs and you go up on tippy toes, pull you hips under and tilt forward and back over and over, and you point your toes out and do it over again, then you take the ball and it goes in the fold behind your knee and you raise your heel up, the movement is only an inch or so, then you kick it up higher then cross one knee behind and then you end the class stretching.  Well let me tell you today my adductors were soooooooo sore, honestly like I'd never worked out beforeFrown when I went to the gym tonight I was comparing notes with girls who had done the class some had sore butts, some sore quads some adductors like me, so then I did my Body Step class and really could only give it 50% but I did feel so much better at the end of the class.

Ruth, I'm not going to judge because I've done that before and it wasn't thin crustSurprised

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2013

only  1 mile fast walk tonight--i'm tired from work.  : )

• hbcheryl
    edited June 2013

newyear it's so easy to just flop on the couch when you're tired so great job on the mile

• SAB
    edited June 2013

A nice hour of walking with my friend this morning.  Gym planned for early tomorrow but I can't get to sleep.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2013

Morning trail run, got out before the scorching 90 degrees in the shade heat that is now our summer!  So hard to get used to this when it's so sudden.  

ruth  Thin crust is definitely a step above Innocent   cheryl  I love barre class, it's a killer!  

• NatsFan
    edited June 2013

That barre class sounds great - like it hits muscles that can get overlooked.  Wow.

Can't believe it's just one more month to the DC meet up!  We planned it so long ago and now it's almost here.  For those who don't remember or are new, each year there's a meet up of the regulars here in a city somewhere in the US for a long weekend of fun.  This year's meet up is in DC.  If anyone else is interested in joining us in DC the weekend of July 18-22 (or any part of it), the more the merrier!

Yoga DVD this morning.  I worked out in our newly renovated basement for the first time this morning - we don't have it everything set up yet, but we have enough for me to work out there again.  It was sooooo nice - nice newly painted walls, new rug, etc.  It's been utter chaos down there for so long that I haven't been able to work out for several weeks in my normal spot.  I'll be glad to get back into a routine.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Meet-ups are wonderful.  Take pictures!

Made it to 8am yoga, and followed up with elliptical and treadmill.  I came home and ate lunch, not realizing that it was only 11:00!  Woops.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

Pat, well done on the 2 year mark. 

Thank you all for the kind remarks, I've been at the gym each day this week taking classes and will run tomorrow. Just keeping my head down and hope tomorrow is sunnier.Cool

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Pat, thinking of you as the clock ticks down to the wedding; an exciting, frantic time!

Walked this morning with the WOW group (Women of Wednesday). We walked out at the local dam and on a cool nature trail for an hour (followed by breakfast, of course). Now I have been watering and raking up some of the millions of silver maple seeds that are all over the yard (I am not exaggerating, the lawn is like a carpet of seeds). When DH comes home, he will climb up on the roof and clean them out of the rain gutters while I hover below holding the ladder. The joys of home ownership!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited June 2013

Ruth: Have fun with your seeds!

Push mowed for an 1 1/2 hours this morning. Mowers still not working right. Back yard not finished yet.

Walked/ran at the park this afternoon.

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited June 2013

I have lost all exercise motivation...need a jump start.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2013

jenjenl, you need The Voices.  It's us, encouraging you to get some exercise (even a little), you'll feel so much better.  C'mon ladies, let's add some Voices!

It's been nice these past few days so walking on morning break instead of waiting for lunchtime.  It's too humid to enjoy a walk outside at noon in work clothes with no place to clean up.  Tongue Out  Logged 15.26 km = 9.48 miles since last post.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

Jen do something tomorrow and report back.....we will be waiting to hear from you!!!!

Did more yard work tonight.....

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2013

5k run this evening.  Needed it as was stiff from a day of working the brain and being velcroed to the chair.  Still have some work to get out and tomorrow is a busy day! - Claire

• hbcheryl
    edited June 2013

In four weeks at this time I shall be sitting on a red eye winging my way to our 3rd annual get together, getting super excitedSmile  Thinking of you Pat, hope you're enjoying the run up to the wedding.  Jen sending the voices your way.

Spin class tonight, crazy hard but crazy goodLaughing and my legs are still feeling that darned Barre class, I'll just recover and it'll be time to go againSurprised

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2013

Jen  Another Voice telling you to get out there and move, you will feel so much better.  A morning walk before the heat kicks in does wonders, can you bring your kids with you?   

Oh so wish I could join those of you traveling to D.C. for the meet-up.   I want to hear all about it!   

I signed up for loseit and was shocked to learn that my handful of almonds that I snack on most afternoons adds up to way too many calories!   And the olive oil we so liberally put on salads - yikes!!  What an eye opener!  No wonder my weight isn't budging  Undecided

I'm babysitting the house today while workmen are doing repairs inside and out.   Sigh ...... I missed the opportunity to get out for a cool run this morning.  I plan on some pilates jumpboard later this afternoon once everybody leaves.  

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited June 2013

Hi Ho all.....I did the" loose it" thing for a while a couple of years ago only to 'loose' the momentum of something new to keep me on track. Well, that went out the window when I had to think back too hard as to what I had for breakfast snacks etc.

Yesterday I walked with the neighbor for an hour. Then in the afternoon I tackled the vege garden and it's weeds. We have an empty lot next door that has not been sold off yet so my DH rototilled a nice chunk for an 'organic' vege garden. I was pretty excited and thought how much fun this could be. After a rain the other night....the gigando weeds appeared to the point that the only way I recognized the leaf lettuce was by the lime green color. OK..out comes the cultivator....rock hard ground. I worked so hard at hoeing and pulling and bending I got lots of exercise. Today my back and the surrounding muscles are crying..."WTH" did you do to me"? I knew fully w

Having some testing done and last week I was pleasantly surprised that I was 4 # lighter since May. Woohoo. I'll take it. Beautiful day today...sun is out full force and I'm hoping to get that walk in after I turn in my watercolors to an auction, that I painted for a competition for a week and a half in Cedarburg Wi. Some of you may know that quaint little town.

Hope all is well...talk later.

Artsee

• NatsFan
    edited June 2013

Jenjen - do you hear The Voices yet?  Even a quick 10 minute walk to the corner and back would be good - just something to get you moving again!  Can you tell that we've all had periods where we can't get going and have relied on The Voices to get us exercising again?  Joy - that was my biggest shocker with Loseit as well - how quickly those tiny snacks add up - as you say, the ones like almonds that I thought were so innocent.  It's a good reality check.  Artsee - good to see you!  Weed 'N Sculpt is a great workout!

30 minute run this morning.  Saw a real life Angry Bird - a mockingbird divebombing a poor squirrel who had unwittingly gotten too close to the mocker's nest - that squirrel was moving to get away from that bird!  I was laughing so hard I could hardly keep running.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

artsee it does get boring to log, but it gets quicker too, especially if you tend to eat the same foods.  I agree with the others that it is plain old shocking to see how many/where your calories come from. It really helped as a tool to shape my food and exercise choices (I have logged into MyFitnessPal for 525 days in a row) and keep me stable. Congrats on the 4 pounds! 

jenjen, just do a little!  If you are really unmotivated just stay in your pajamas and pop a tape in, or join Gilad on tv!  When I absolutely do not want to exercise I pop in an old Richard Simmons dance tape--it's a hoot.

Off for a morning run up my rural road.  

• ruthbru
    edited June 2013

I still love an occasional Richard Simmons tape too! I am TIRED because there was thunder and lightning all night long. Kind of like trying to sleep in a war zone. At 1am, ping pong ball sized hail was headed straight for the city, but went back up in the clouds 5 miles out (according to the weatherman). It looks & feels like it could be stormy today too. My upper body let me know that it had enough exercise with all the yard work yesterday, so did an hour long abs/core/lower body pilates workout with Denise Austin and called it good.

Jen, report in. We will keep bugging you until you do. Wink

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited June 2013

PRPliates this morning and no running due to chucking down rain.Undecided

Interesting link: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/ask-well-how-often-to-exercise/?ref=health

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited June 2013

hi ladies

this is an very lengthy thread and im sure this topic has been discussed but for weight training, specifically sculpting arms, how many lbs do you use?  free weights?  bands?  is low weights/high reps ok?  TERRIFIED of lymphadema

have you ladies been able to sculpt your arms again after SNB/ALND - mine are horrible right now and i have been doing light weights for a few months now

tx

• NatsFan
    edited June 2013

Rozem - slow but steady is the way to go with weights.  Real slow - like one pound weights. Do limited reps.  See how you feel.  If you can do this a few times a week for a few weeks with no signs of swellling, a heavy feeling or other unusual feeling in your hand, arm, axillary region or breast/trunk, then increase the reps a bit, or go up a pound on the weights.  But if you feel any signs of swelling, heaviness or other LE symptoms - STOP!!!  Don't do another rep.  Rest your arm, keep it elevated, drink plenty of fluids.  For more info on LE, visit the LE threads here on BCO or go to the Step Up Speak Out website for info on all things LE. 

Here's a brochure from Step Up Speak Out with detailed info on starting and maintaining an exercise program, including lifting weights, when you have or are at risk for LE:  http://stepup-speakout.org/Handout%20doc%20for%20SUSO-040113.pdf

Also, if you work with a personal trainer, take a yoga, pilates, or other fitness class, here's a brochure you can print out and give to the trainer or instructor so they can design a safe program for you.  http://stepup-speakout.org/Trainer%20doc%20for%20SUSO-040113.pdf

Weights are better than bands as you can control more precisely how much weight you're using and can move up in measured increments.  Bands can be iffy - as you know, depending on where you hold them and how much you pull, the resistance can vary greatly, and you may unwittingly increase resistance too fast from one session to the next.  Weights give you much more control.  Once you establish a certain level of upper body fitness you could maybe experiment with bands, but overall you're better off sticking with weights so you know exactly how much you're doing at any given time.

That said, don't let the fear of LE paralyze you into inactivity.  Exercise is one of the best things we can do for ourselves to prevent recurrance.  Just start out slowly and sensibly, and pay attention to your affected side to make sure you don't overdo.