Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

Ruth: Good Grief! I totally forgot (another Thank-You to Arimidex <insert winky face>)

Please send the recipe!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited October 2013

I just so happen to have the whole rundown. Not only the recipe, but why it works:

To prepare gin-soaked raisin, first empty one box of dried white raisin in a shallow container. Only white or golden raisin should be used for this recipe. Then pour enough gin into the container to cover the raisin.

Cover the container and keep it covered for 7 -10 days to allow the raisin to steep in the gin.

Allow all the gin to evaporate to leave gin-soaked raisins in the container. These raisins keep well when refrigerated. The popular advice is to take nine of these "drunken raisins" every day. Most users report improvements in arthritis symptoms between 1 - 8 weeks of using this remedy.

Why it works:

1. Golden raisins- the ONLY type of raisins worthy of the recipe- require sulfur or sulfides in their processing to make them golden. Sulfur is an active ingredient in 2 effective natural arthritis supplenents: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate. Golden raisins come from sultana grapes and are cultivated under the name Thompson seedless grapes in the United States.

2. Sultana grapes contain proanthocyanidins which are thought to help fight infections and reduce inflammation. Grapes also contain resveratrol, a powerful anti-oxidant that is being studied for many of it's disease fighting properties.

3. Gin is flavored with juniper berries and juniper berries contain Terpinen. Terpinen has anti inflammatory properties. The essential oil that is in juniper berries contains more than 100 compounds including myrcene (an anti oxidant), catechins (anti-oxidant), and flavanoids (anti oxidant). Test tube studies have shown that juniper berries can inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins help mediate an inflammatory response and increase the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. By inhibiting their production, a reduction in pain can occur.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

I don't know why it is saying 'font' all the time. It looks fine on the preview!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

(Tried to make it work a different way, still got the <fonts>......I hate 'upgrades'!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

THANKS for the recipe! (I feel like I'm thanking one of the sisters in the Walton's for her daddy's recipe)

Great explanation also.

I'll report back when I see relief. If for whatever reason it doesn't work on me, I'll just drink the gin. <insert happy happy face>

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2013

lol!! The Baldwin Sisters!!

It sure does sound like a way they would have used The Recipe. I loved that show!!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

My aunt (who discovered 'the recipe') and my mom (with whom she shared the recipe) were much like the Baldwin sisters in that they too were teetotalers. It was hysterical to watch them sneak into the liquor store to procure the gin.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2013
    hi all, haven't been here for a few days so lots to catch up on. It's been so nice here this past week! Walking at lunchtime and after work. Logged 18.22 km = 11.32 miles since last post. ♥ to all my ((Sculpted Sisters))
  • odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Hey Ruth, bet the gin would make your mouth feel better. Ha ha...

6 miles Dulciegirl.Way to go!!!

Did incline training on the treadmill today plus weights. Missed working out yesterday as I had a "team building" event which included some sporting events.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

I'm a rebel, I think I'll try soaking regular raisins in gin. What's the worst that can happen?

Walked for about an hour and hooped 30 minutes. Walking felt easy after spending last week walking rocky hilly paths all day long. My feet are hurting less. Maybe I am finally adapting to the minimalist shoes?

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

Body Jam class tonight, I was told after class by a young girl that I really could move!!!! Ha, I may be old but I still got some moves baby....... Also took two dogs for long walk and one very old dog for a short walk that took a looonnnnggggg time :)

Wonderland would be the lookout, Ruth would be buying 'the recipe'.... I need to make me a batch.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited October 2013
    Made two classes at the gym this morning, step and body balance and drove my darling beloved this afternoon to his last treatment of the week. Three weeks down and four more to go. :^)
  • mrtw43
    mrtw43 Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2013

Still raining here so wasn't able to go walking. Hope I can remember that come Sunday football and make sure i step away from the snacks

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Did 45 minutes of 'pilates light' today (modified any move that made my mouth feel 'throbby'). Freaky weather, we are in a tornado watch in October! (Remember it was snowing just west of here last weekend....strange.)

Keep hanging in there, Lilac. Sending hugs to you & your DH.

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Power-walked between airport gates yesterday and danced with my 4 & 5 yr. old grandkids in their living room. Today we played tag in the backyard and I walked the floor with the baby at the doctor's office.She's beautiful and thriving.

• odie16
    edited October 2013

Thankful for the fitness center at my office since it has been pouring rain here all day. Spent quality time on the Elliptical plus weights.

Stay safe Ruth with your wild weather. Annie, enjoy those grandbabies! Still sending love and hugs to Joy, Lilacblue and DH.

Hugs to all my sculpted sisters. Have a great weekend!

• badger
    edited October 2013
    hi ladies, clouds rolling in so better go walk before it rains. Joy sorry you're having a rough week esp with friend's dx, LB hang in there beauty, Pat belated happy birthday, Annie congrats on new GD, Ruth hope your mouth is feeling better so you can enjoy yr fun health habits like dark choc & gin-soaked sultanas (wink), Cheryl LOL at walking an old dog for a short walk that took a long time, reminds me of Mary's Miss Molly. ♥ to all
  • AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

Worked out with my daughter's free weights this morning.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

For my fellow exercise/coffee lovers!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

LB hope your DH is holding his own, almost to the halfway point, big (((HUG))) to you both. hey Odie no excuses with that in office gym ;) (I'm on my iPad and the emoticons were still working for a while after BCOs went away but now they're gone too). Badger one of the dogs I'm sitting is also called Molly, but it's Louis who is the old man, this morning Molly and Bella were outside barking and I went out to shoo them inside and darn if a massive great hawk didn't swoop into the backyard yikes!!! I worry about coyotes when I walk them late at night around here but the hawk scared the bleep out of me...

This morning did an RPM class and on the way home I drove through the UCI grounds and found a great farmers market, mostly organic I might have to rethink how I spend my Saturday mornings.

(((Joy))) thinking of you

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds...yikes!

Walked on the treadmill for an hour, which might not have been a great idea,

I miss the emotions!!!!!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

Ruth....when I had implant prep, I was told "no exercise" for an entire week! That to make sure that no bleeding. I did walk though. Just nothing strenuous. Dental work is the pits.

Speaking of getting out there, I did a 40 mile group ride today. Feel tons better, but a rough start. Was still feeling the jet lag a bit to say nothing of last week's hikes. Clouds and rain changed over to sun. So a glorious ride, and we rode through an area I hadn't seen before.

Nap time now. We stopped at a salmon-watching point near the end, and got to see the sockeye salmon swimming upstream. Just fascinating.

Will do another group ride tomorrow....and hopefully more sunshine. - Claire

• badger
    edited October 2013
    Cheryl, yikes! Love the cartoon Ruth, I'm having a coffee right now in advance of going out to the theater tonight. Walked my 2.5 mile route this morning then after the rain cleared it got so nice I couldn't resist and went out again in the afternoon. Spent an hour "leaf peeping" and I must say my city has some gorgeous trees. Spectacular against the cerulean sky! Logged 10.09 km = 6.27 miles for the day. ♥
  • odie16
    edited October 2013

Cheryl, that hawk would have scared the bejesus out of me. Not a bird person...lol

Ruth, love the cartoon, too funny...

While nowhere near as much walking as Badger, I did get out and walk a 5k at a local amusement park despite the misty rainy conditions. Seriously ready for some sunshine.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2013

Ah, the weekend. Crawled out of the office and enjoyed an 8 mile hike with dh. Then picked up my bike from its 60 day tune-up...but too late to ride tonight.

• mrtw43
    mrtw43 Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2013

It finally stopped raining, and I got in a early morning walk

• badger
    edited October 2013
    another beautiful day here, going to enjoy a leaf peep in a while. Headed to the store to pick up some pecans for wheatless cherry crisp (the topping is butter, rolled oats, brown sugar & chopped pecans - yum!) and I'll walk there. When I carry groceries home, I get exercise and save money because I buy less so it's a benefit all around. Hey Wonderland, our favorite zombie show season premier is tonight! I'll be watching will u? ♥ to all
  • SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2013

We rode to breakfast this morning. 14 miles, with a break for bagels!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2013

20 mile ride to raise money (not just awareness) for bc research. 100% of registration went directly to research for a cure. Plus it is a gorgeous day!!!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

45 minutes treadmill, 20 of abs lite.

Oh, I am so mad at myself! Those of you who have traveled with me know that I take tons of pictures. I have always gotten them sorted and in albums right away......until the last year and a half (pausing the bash my head against a wall), now I literally have hundreds of pictures all over the floor and dining room table that I am trying to put in some sort of order.....