Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2013

Happy Anniversary Odie, Nats/Odie I liked that the trainers had a say in the picking of the contestants but don't you feel bad for the poor people who were flown in for the interview and didn't make it, I sure hope they set something up for those people. Claire hope you feel better.

Well today was a two-a-days for me, this morning did my Sh'bam class and tonight did Body Combat.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

Lilac - great news on the half way point. Hugs to both of you. I hope your dh is tolerating his tx without too many bad s/e. Happy Anniversary Odie! Great picture, Ruth - that looks like a fun energetic group. Cheryl - two classes today - shall we call you the Ruth of California?

Hooray - the shutdown is over - my friends and neighbors can go back to work again! And the National Zoo PandaCam is coming back up today - whew!! I didn't know how much longer I could go without my panda cub fix. Didn't quite make my 3,000 fuelpoints goal yesterday - had a great lunchtime yoga class, but since there's not a lot of body movement with yoga, my Fuelband doesn't register it as doing much of anything, so I only get a few fuelpoints for an exhausting class. Even with a good Mikey walk after work, I fell a bit short - 2612 points.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited October 2013

I think they should throw out every single man in the Congress and just keep the women!!!!!!!!!

edited to add: with the exception of Michele Backman

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited October 2013

You would think a furloughed employee could find the time to check in with her friends more than once a week! Back to work today, so taking this time to stop in and say hi to all. I'll never catch up, so I'm just jumping right in. Had a wonderful furlough, hit the gym nearly every day and feel wonderful because of it. Initially lost weight and then gained, blaming the birthday celebrating. Had a wonderful surprise for my birthday, my son who lives in New Orleans flew home to spend two days with me! It was nice seeing him alone, he is engaged and we really don't know his fiancee very well because of the distance, so it allowed me to check his pulse on the whole getting married thing without her around. Went for a great hike, had dinner by the water on my birthday (my fave thing to do), and went to the movies to see Captain Phillips (excellent film, must see). Wonderful birthday present, even though it was a little short.

I got a fitbit-one for my birthday, cool little device that measures distance, steps, sleep cycle, floors, etc. Still learning the ins and outs with it, but so far am quite pleased.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Happy Birthday, Pat & Happy Anniversary, Odie!

I did the Zumba, Core, Pilates trio again. State testing is the next two weeks and they need another warm and living body to help out, so any day that I'm not already busy will be spent at school....so only the early morning Zumba for me for two weeks (plus whatever I do on my own, of course).

I have been sitting on the floor for 3 hours working on photo albums. The good news is I'm up to last spring.....the bad news is I am ONLY up to last spring.

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

played freeze tag and red light green light with 

the grandkids

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2013

Thank you for all the anniversary wishes. Pat, glad you had a wonderful birthday and were able to make the best of your furlough time. Badger, hope you enjoy your new gym as much as I do mine. So convenient! Cheryl, I hate to see contestants go home during the first few weeks as they need so desperately to change things. Mary, my how our little panda cub has grown!!! Annie, I am envious as playing those games are some of my best memories.  Have a great time with the grandkids as they grow up so quickly. Ruth, keep plugging away on those albums and you will be done in no time...I aspire to get that organized...

Completed 5 miles on the Elliptical tonight plus weights. 

Edited to add hugs to all! Happy Friday!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2013

Had an all-day meeting with working lunch so no opportunity for noon walk.  Opted for the grilled veggie wrap so feel good about that choice.  Mom called tonight and has decided she can't live alone anymore so is going to sell her house in Florida and move north by me in the spring.  My annual Christmas vacation will be spent sorting and cleaning and that's OK but it's bittersweet.  Next up: research independent living / assisted living options.  ♥ to all 

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

It will be bittersweet, but very nice to have her close by.

• badger
    edited October 2013

Yes it will, thanks Ruth.  I worry about her and it'll be good not to be a thousand miles away.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Definitely. And then you can hang out with her as much as you both want, and not have to cram everything into a week now and then.

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

Badger it will be lovely to have her close at hand, I sure envy you I miss my Mum so much. Happy Birthday Pat. LB hope your DH is holding up, here's cheers to 'over the hump. Odie I hate that too, all that work to get there and then wham gone the first week, at least they have back-up at home but still!!! Ruth that is a real accomplishment, it's a job we all put off and now you're almost done.

I have to say I'm enjoying my kid sitting but boy talk about a procrastinator, we stayed up till 2am building a car for physics the other night, well he built and I was moral support, then he asked me what he should do for his senior project, you know the outline is due tomorrow and tonight he's thinking of it and then when I got home from the gym at 9.30pm he asked me if I had a check book as he needs to pay for a debate club outing well yes of course I have a check book but it's at my office and he needs the check tomorrow!!!!! Luckily I like him so I'm bring a check to school for him....

Tonight did RPM class followed by Body Jam - Heidi another new release with a barrel roll, well for me it's a step together step while the young ones are barrel rolling!!!!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited October 2013

Pat, happy birthday and enjoy your present! Thanks for the warning on the Barrel roll, Cheryl!

Finally got to the kettlebells, all 15 minutes of a Routine. Figured I better re-start slowly.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2013

Ruth - Agreed with your suggestion on throwing all the XY chromosomes out of Congress (and with your exception)! Annie - Freeze tag and red light green light - I haven't thought about those games in decades! Thanks for the delightful flashback to childhood - sounds like you're having a ball! Badger - I'm sorry about your mom, but wow, I'm impressed with her fortitude in making the decision for herself. Too many of us have dealt with parents who are unwilling to face that they can no longer live alone until there's a crisis. I'm so glad you and she will have this opportunity to spend more time together. Pat - sounds like a wonderful birthday. I bet you'll love your Fitbit - I researched them so I'm a bit familiar with them, and a co-worker just got one, so he and I were comparing the Fitbit with the Fuelband. He loves the Fitbit's sleeping monitor especially - he says it's been helpful to him figuring out his sleeping patterns. Ruth - we're still getting our Britain and Ireland pix organized, so I feel your pain! Cheryl - chuckling at your life with a teenager.

Odie - yes, our baby panda really did get a whole lot cuter in those 16 days the PandaCam was down! After watching her, I've decided to be the baby panda for our Halloween dress up contest at work (I love working at the Recreation Dept - my co-workers sure know how to have fun.) I figure I can wear black tights, white shorts, a black top with a white tank top over it, blacken the tip of my nose and around my eyes, and make some black ears. How much cuter can you get than this??

Oh, yeah - I guess this is an exercise thread. Got in a nice run yesterday. 3753 Fuelpoints.

• hbcheryl
    edited October 2013

okay so I have had to come here and have a rant... I am a very easy going, glass half full person but my hackles are up. I just got an email in a chain asking me to post about putting a handbag on a chair or a table or such other crap on Facebook as a secret about breast cancer awareness, really!!!!

Well there are about 40 people only one of whom I know who are getting an eyeful from me, I was just infuriated by this, I told them all to donate just a dollar to metastatic research it would be more helpful than the garbage I was asked to be a part of, no thank you ... I need to calm down or go and punch something, grrrrrrrr

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited October 2013

What utter tosh and rubbish regarding the chain email - you tell them sister Cheryl!...And that school trip might have been able to be paid for on the school website. Pat - Happy Belated Birthday and nice prezzie and thank you (((All))) for your support and thoughts for DH, he is till eating by mouth (bit of a struggle) keeping positive and another week down and 3 more to go!   

Got to the gym for step and body balance this morning.

(((Joy))) love to you and have a terrific weekend (((Everyone)))!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited October 2013

Managed a nice walk at lunch at work yesterday, even though it was our first day back and there was SO much to catch up on. Working from home today. Already missing my daily trip to the gym. Two more years or so and I can retire, until then it is when I can squeeze the gym in.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited October 2013

badger: Good luck with locating a place for your mom. Glad she made the decision on her own instead of you having to make it. My Mother was on a ventilator a few years ago. Doctor told my brother, sisters, and me that we would have the make the decision come morning about keeping her on it. My beautiful Mother died during the night. We didn't have to make that God awful decision. That was Mom's last gift to us.

Cheryl: I hate those stupid FB games. Give em He!!

Odie: Happy Belated Anniversary!

Mary: You're going to make a cute panda!

LB: Holding you and your dh in my heart.

Hello Everyone! I plan to walk/run later today. Tomorrow is my 40th high school reunion. Should be interesting to say the least!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited October 2013

Thank you so much Wonderland and enjoy your 40th! I went to my 20th and this is my 40th reunion year as well - 1973 what a year! :^)

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2013

worked out with DD's free weights again

• mrtw43
    mrtw43 Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2013

Today was a "no school" day for my son so he and I took the metro to DC and hit 3 smithsonians. I am completely exhausted but it was a great time.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

45 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Then had a hair appointment, then went and got my passport renewed, then errands & back to the photo albums.....I am in North Carolina and will have to stay there until I get some more refill pages!!

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013

I was 2 pages behind but I wanted to get credit for my 5 mile hike yesterday. I even did the extra steep part of the trail that says "warning steep trail ahead use alternate route". Good thing I'm not afraid of heights it was steep and right on the edge. Will be moving some furniture tonight that's my exercise for today.

Ruth, I love the picture of your group, wow ND sure is flat. Cheryl, you tell 'em, I had someone put some awful piece of BC awareness jewelry on my facebook page when I was in treatment, I deleted it and unfriended her. Mary, that panda is adorable! Everyone, keep on keepin on :-)

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Cheryl, it would be a good target in your mind when you are doing kickboxing or a body combat class.....grrrrr......punch, kick, upper cut....

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

Sharing from my hike two weeks ago..... Notice the stellar butt action. Today.....did weights, crunches, and a 5k run.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2013

Very nice!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited October 2013

Love the pic! Pretty fancy hiking boots. What brand are they? DD Needs a new pair.

Yesterday was about Walking/running to Trains and buses with DD.

• badger
    edited October 2013

Good morning ladies, my exercise yesterday was walking around independent living facilities.  Toured three and found one that's perfect for mom.  Built in April 2013 so everything's new, the staff are super, the apartments are nice, lots of activities including a warm-water therapy pool and arthritis swim classes that I'm already plotting to get her into, AND it's in her budget.  Heck, I'd live there!  Logged 9.3 km = 5.78 miles for the day.

Looking good, Claire!

Mary, super cute panda and great costome idea!

Cheryl, give 'em a piece of your mind for all of us!

LB, sending love your way, hang in there beauty!

Brought some work home to get done today for a report due at the end of the month, then meeting a friend for a hike along the Sugar River Trail tomorrow.  http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/sugarriver/

Happy Saturday everyone!  ♥ to all

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2013

Thanks Heidihill. Hiking boots are Asolo, which I got deeply discounted a few years ago. This was AFTER I broke my foot hiking in lighter footwear. I use them for walking around in snowy/icy weather as they are warm and have great traction. This is my second pair and of course wasn't wearing my first pair during that hike when I slipped on gravel and broke my foot. I could hear it go crack. My knee is still scarred from the scrape.

What I will say about hiking boots (and this applies equally to ski boots and running shoes) is that you need to try them on, or at least the first pair you buy. I must have tried on 40 pairs the first time I bought hiking boots, and was MISERABLE in most. However, Asolos were perfect!

A good pair will last for at least half a decade, so not that expensive in the long run. We think nothing of spending an equal amount for fashionable dress shoes.

The cost of sports wear is no joke. First of all, you need to spend money to keep comfortable and safe. Then more money to showcase those sculpted "assets". In the picture, the hiking boots were the only "investment". I got the sturdy jeans at Value Village for $4, and am wearing my cycling jacket. This is my second one of those. I wear it to be seen. (Got my first one to make sure I would be visible cycling through chemo!)

Trying to wake up, then off to do a long ride on the Centennial Trail. Should be perfect autumn weather. You have to take full advantage of these days. Things like scrubbing the tub will wait. - Claire

Added: Badger.....that trail looks like wonderful fun on a hybrid or mountain bike!