Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited November 2013

It's cold for us too, here in S. Texas: in the upper thirties, windy and drizzling, but DH and I and the puppy girls toughed it out and went for an invigorating walk.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited November 2013

Nada for me today on exercise but plan to do some treadmill running/walking tomorrow as well as stairclimber.

AnnieLane - I've been to the CCCD Kingston campus 3x (CCCD=Caribbean Christian Center for the Deaf). They also have a campus in Montego Bay and one in the mountains called Knockpatrick (I think). If your daughter went to a deaf school in Jamaica I'm sure it was one of the CCCD campuses. I sure wish I knew sign language! I intended to learn some before our first mission trip down there but of course, it was one of those things I never found time for.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited November 2013

Did a little lower body toning and cleaned out the 'under the stairs' closet.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2013

Got home from a meeting just as the sun was setting, so slid into my running duds and snuck in a 5k. I had a lot of motivation to keep moving to keep my core temp up! Was glorious watching the sunset change over the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains. Almost pitch dark when I got back.

Am in a chic update to my bob as had a haircut last night. This was followed by a wine bar Wine Club Member appreciation evening. Back to back vintage tastings and paella from the manager's husband. It was truly to die for.

Have a new batch of lamb shanks a-simmering in the oven. They are so good, and I have everything I need to go with them. Only need to make the kale as have roasted potatoes and carrots. BUT....I do have to roast my last batch of peppers.

I may go for the safe ride in the AM as suspect black ice inland. Sunday's ride is NOON and features pumpkin pie. I have a squash I need to make into soup.

Busy week next week onboarding the newest member of our team. I am thrilled that we got her....as think she will be a major asset to our organization. One of the things I got accomplished this week....or at least the "next steps" part.

Ready for something mindless to finish off the week. - Claire

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2013

Ack - had just painstakingly typed out a post on my phone then lost it. DH's surgery went well but the surgeon found a lot more damage including a surprise broken bone that never showed up on any scans. Fortunately the surgeon was able to repair the damage. We did make it up to the cabin last night (thanks to Percocet) which dh really wanted to do. One cool thing - the surgeon gave me pix from the arthroscopic camera of the whole procedure. Pretty nifty - sort of like those colonoscopy pix they give you but not as gross! Shocked

Not much exercise yesterday except sitting around yesterday then taking care of a post-surgical patient - I think that's going to keep me busy for a while.

• sweetandspecial
    edited November 2013

Mary - so glad everything went well and surgeon was able to work his magic. Also that you were able to make it to the cabin as hoped for. Wishing your DH a smooth recovery and for you to have the necessary level of energy and patience to be the entire post-surgical team for the next few days.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

So glad you are at the cabin, Mary. Even happier that all went well with the surgery. "Worse than expected" justifies the time and energy spent to get things straightened out. Hope he feels tons better soon, and that you can get out for a walk or 2. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Glad the surgery is over & he is in the recovery phase!

Did an hour on the treadmill this morning as the air temperature was 10 BELOW!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Getting slightly nippy in the Dakotas Ruth??? I agree that somewhere around ZERO is when I don't go outside to exercise. However, I don't do freezing roads either, so postponing my ride until it warms up a bit.

I still haven't forgotten a ski about 10 years ago in Vermont where we planned on doing a loop, but retraced our steps as thought the sunshine was a better idea than shade. Really gorgeous that day, but you did want to keep moving.

I remember too how happy the dogs were when we turned around. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2013

Mary so glad the surgery went well even if there was a 'surprise' please give DH my best wishes for a speedy recovery.. Yikes Ruth that's cold brrrrrrrrr.

This morning did an hour of Spin and then Boot Camp and two people called me 'fierce', okay I'll take it, yeah I'm fierceSnooze

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2013

hi all, only four pages to catch up on this time LOL.  Cheryl, you ARE fierce!

Love all the pix, esp you & your dad Ruth at the Honor Flight with you in PFC wig.  Also The Road Less Traveled.  Reminded me of a place I used to cross-country ski in Colorado.

Mary, sending healing thoughts to your DH on his surgery yesterday!

Have been walking daily, logged 36.8 km = 22.87 mi since last post, including a very brisk walk this morning at 14 degrees!  But I heard The Voices, bundled up, and was invigorated when done.  ♥ to all

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited November 2013

Mary: Sending healing thoughts to your dh!

Good Evening Everyone. I did a quick walk/run around the neighborhood this afternoon then attended my 1st of 2 Thanksgiving dinners. I see lots of walks in my future this week!

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Mary, glad your DH's surgery went well and that the additional damage was found and repaired.

Today was a work day for me and I'm still not over my cold - coughing a lot and have a sore throat which makes working tough, since I'm on the phone all day. If I'm no better by Monday I'll take a sick day.

It's still in the thirties and cloudy here, but we did get out to walk the dogs.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2013

Mary, sending healing thoughts to hubby and strength for you as you nurse him back to health.

Did short walks yesterday and today as I seem to have caught the dreaded cold going around. Not sure I have the energy for more than that. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Oh, no Odie!!! I noticed that sleeping in this AM did me a world of good. Got out and did a ride. Just glorious sunshine. Then, a former neighbor had me check that she had unplugged her coffee pot in her rush to get out the door and on a plane. (She had.)

Anyway, this cold is the gift that keeps giving. But I sure was dragging 2 weeks ago. Feel better. - Claire

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2013

Hi Ladies, I havent been posting lately, but I checked n read almost daily.  I havent really do any exercise beside walking 20 mins or 30 mins here n there, so Im a shame to post here sometime. 

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

Soriya,

NEVER be ashamed of ANY exercise. Your walking is GREAT! (If you look back you'll notice I have not posted anything in a while. That's because I haven't done anything to post!! Planning to post tomorrow.)

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

For one thing, you might want to switch shoes Dulci!!! I have man trap shoes too, but they are useless for any real exercise.

Oops, take that back.....but not outdoor stuff. - Claire

• Dulcigirl
    edited November 2013

ROFL!!!!!

1) lack of exercise currently due to post op instructions

2) I have never worn these shoes yet. Saving them for my "I'm done with recon" celebration.

3) I'm so slow it took me a while to figure out what kind of special shoes "man traps" were. Ha!!! Anyhoo...I prefer the kind of man who prefers cycling shoes. ;-)

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Soriay, walking 20 - 30 minutes is so much more than doing nothing! Some days, that's all I do and I still post it, because any day I'm not a total couch potato is a victory as far as I'm concerned. Now, excuse me, because I am off to go walk the dogs for about 20 minutes! Winking I have a miserable cold and it's cold, windy and drizzly outside and that's about all I feel up for.

• sweetandspecial
    edited November 2013

Just got back from a 3.5 mile walk/run. Only about 23 degrees and a little windy but had lots of sun. Now that I'm back in the house I can't get warmed up!

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2013

Soriya even a walk around the supermarket counts, you have the cumulative effects of chemo you're dealing with, that's the beauty of this thread we don't care what you do we're just here to encourage you to do something because day by day you will get stronger, yes there are days when we don't feel like doing anything but once you establish a pattern you'll have those 'off' days but you bounce back. Claire I also ROLF'd laughing. Annie hope you get over that nasty cold.

Only exercise for me today was walking around a Christmas craft fair and then Target, also went to Dick's and bought myself a Fitbit, looked at the one that goes on my wrist, we tried it on my wrist and ankle but I found it hard to fasten so I went with the clip on one and besides that my muscles are feeling the effects of my Boot Camp and upper body weight workout yesterday so a nice rest day today.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2013

Thank you ladies, you guys are so sweet n very encourging.  Today I walked with my hubby at the park fr 1 hour.  I dont know how many miles.  It was a nice long walk in the park.:)

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2013

SoriyaThumbsUp

• Dulcigirl
    edited November 2013

Hey Claire!!

Check THESE out!!! Lol!

image Edited to add that these are NOT mine, nor would I EVER wear them! (Unless the dare was good enough.)

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Those LOOK painful. Agree though about the dare.

Got in a 20 mile easy group ride, but with a few hills. I was sweating even if a bit nippy out. We rolled around sampling pumpkin pie. I will take the PCC one over Whole Foods, but actually, the pumpkin custard I made a week ago was much better than either.

Saw some gorgeous rural land I didn't know existed on the other side of Redmond. Nearly hit a post thought cycling back into the low sun.

Funny story at the PCC. I wanted their local Brats, but they didn't have anything. The meat guy GAVE me a package of Uli's to try.

I have tons of fresh veggies as stopped at the cheap veggie market on my way to the ride. I think I will put the two ginormous sprout stalks on my balcony as they don't fit in the fridge. I got shallots, parsnips, potatoes, a pepper, the aforementioned sprouts, beets w/tops, a butternut squash, and I thought kale.

One of the ladies cycling is thrilled to be back at it after 2 years. She was taken out with a rotator cuff problem. So chemo isn't the only thing that can put us out of action.

So stunning here today. Mountains were purple and the Sound was the most amazing shade of blue. So was Lake Washington. To say nothing of the light and trees......and the grass which truly is Emerald.

Energized, but ready for dinner. I ate only pie for lunch as a wee bit too much soup recently. - Claire

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Dulci....I think too that you may have missed my point about "indoor exercise". And no, I don't mean the treadmill. I will mention that much better with two. - Claire

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2013

It was cold enough here that I headed for the indoor track.  Walked 45 mins to the Blues Brothers soundtrack.

• Dulcigirl
    edited November 2013

oh, no....I may be slow, but not THAT slow!!! "Man traps"...shoes you don't have to run too fast in.

Just fast enough to get caught.

But cycling for 30 minutes can burn around 300 calories...while google says your other exercise idea only burns 85ish.

Loopy

BTW, I loved your description of your scenery today. I sure hope my mom was able to enjoy it! She lives downtown. Space Needle visible through the living room window. I love, love, love it out there!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Soriya, never say that you 'just' walk! Walking is probably the best of all exercises. You are pounding your bones, therefore building them up and strengthening them, you are not being overly hard on your body so are less likely to be injured etc. etc. Walking is GREAT; and of course, the more you do it, the stronger you'll be, and the stronger you are. the more you can (and will want to) do. It is a good self-fulfilling prophecy! And we all have to start somewhere and find out what we both like to do and what we are comfortable doing. I know when my friend and I decided to take Zumba and some other classes, we knew right away we would have to modify the moves (march instead of hop etc.) or we would blow out our 60 year old knees. So we aren't getting as much exercise as we would if we could do all the jumps etc. but we are getting 100% more than if we were sitting on our couches!

Did tons of fun things today, but this post is already long so maybe I will report in on them tomorrow. For exercise I did my Pilates Challenge DVD, some arms & abs.

Tomorrow I am going to substitute for the BAND DIRECTOR, now THAT should be interesting! Nerdy