Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2013

I know I am always talking about exercise helping my BRAIN. Now, here's the study supporting what I have observed. So another reason to get out there. I think exercising outside gives you more mental stimulation than the treadmill does. - Claire

http://t.healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/aging/aerobics-might-boost-brain-health-for-older-adults

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited November 2013

That is very cool, Claire! I would think exercise would then offset some of the problems people have with 'chemo brain' too.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Unfortunately, my brain got so stimulated yesterday that I realize I need to do a substantial amount of "Level 2" work on some of the initiatives I am working on. However, I am going to back up and tackle something simpler, and on my immediate list.

Major congrats due me today (I think).....handing off the cycling club membership gig. I am proposing a meeting place (hot chocolate of all descriptions) near Green Lake so I can sneak in a run.

A reminder on a major rediscovery from yesterday.....shoe polish makes your old stuff look fab, so spiffing up that way too. My old ankle boots are looking primo once again.

Back to the projects..... - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2013

I just want to say exercise makes me feel so good, sometimes I go all out and there are times when I just go but I keep going. Now I have never taken an illegal substance in my life but I came out of that gym on Monday night after an hour of intense dancing and I have to say it was like I was on a "high" I called one of my friends and I just babbled on and on telling her she has to come with me next time I go I just felt so great, poor girl probably thought I was a raving lunatic but I just want other people to feel the way I feel Nerdy

Mary we can also tell what time it is, boom bang boom .... Disneyland fireworks are going off.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2013

Joy, helping your friend now in spite of your own situation speaks volumes about your character. God bless you....

Try to exercise outdoors weather prevailing however am thankful to have access to the gym. Ran/walked a few miles on the treadmill tonight plus weights. 

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2013

walked for 35 mins  in the morning around the neighborhood.  supposed to walk again during the evening but 5pm already dark.  Hubby didnt get home till 7pm, cant leave 2 small kids at home alone.   Need to get myself treadmill :).NatsFan I can hear firework everynight at 9:30pm from Anaheim Stadium.  Maybe i can hear from Disneyland too.  

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited November 2013

Busy day with work and my annual check up with my primary care doc today. All I managed to do was get out and walk the dogs, but at least I did that.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited November 2013

Mary: Your bear picture is awesome! I bet Mikey was barking his head off.

Joy: Your friend is lucky to have you. I like what wrote Odie wrote - it really does speak volumes about your character.

LB: Thinking of your dh.

My son and I had time to get in a quick walk/run today.

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2013

Had a really frazzled afternoon at work but worked out all my stress at my spin class this evening

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

I cleaned out & organized closets from 9:00-2:00......no, I am not done Shocked. Then went for a walk in the trees. Volleyball again tonight. If we win, we go to the State Tournament. Whoo Hoo!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited November 2013

Dear ruthbru -

Can you please bottle up some of your energy and send it to me?

I will pay you handsomely.

xoxoxo

• odie16
    edited November 2013

4 miles on the Elliptical plus weights, squats and crunches tonight. 

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2013

I walked 30 mins this morning.  I feel like I walked at least 40 mins or more, but nope only  30 mins. LOL  Ruth my god where all those energy coming from????

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Waked the dogs today and plan to get to the gym this weekend.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

I don't know about the energy thing....it was either clean out the closets or risk being buried alive the next time I opened the door!

The volleyball team won and are going to state! Very good, high quality play. Wow! I was in a recreational volleyball league for many years when I was younger & the only resemblance to the game we played then & the game they play now is that there is a volleyball and a net.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Busy day today. Early rise to make it to the nonprofit offices, and a day of organizing things. (Desk was beginning to resemble your closets, Ruth.) Then some work with a volunteer prior to heading home via the cheap fruit and veggie stand. I don't pay $2.99 a pound for apples when 89 cents there. I came home to roast peppers as the ones with a few spots on them were 15 cents each and I LOVE roast peppers!!!!

Some good news re: some work I did about 6 months ago, so thrilled at this news. I am thinking the first of more great things to come.

Then ballet with my friend who had an extra ticket. It was lovely seeing her and catching up. Ballet was exquisite. PNB really is one of the great companies in the world.

I am making baked eggs with leftover veggies for a late supper. Free food, and I get a clean fridge to boot.

I walked the 3/4 mile each way to the ballet and did weights/crunches. Planning a ride in the AM if not sidewise rain.

Need to check on the eggs...... - Claire

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

woo hoo a good week for activity. When I go into the office its about a 2mile round trip walk to and from the train- the leaves are pretty, the air was warm and it felt great. I was surprised that the steps coming up from the station had me huffing and puffing- guess thats what being off work and having surgery/rads will do.

Did yoga yesterday- a great class at the cancer support center, the instructor is easily mid- to late 70s and has no problem kicking your butt in a nice way. Gave me the courage to go to a "regular" class tonight which was terrific- 1/2 movement and flow and the rest stretching and twisting in a weekend-wind down. I felt great and could keep up with everything she threw at us- I had 60mins not fixated on breast cancer- bonus 1 mile to studio and 1 mile home walking!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Very great!

I think I will just do something light today, as I am pretty sore from all that cleaning yesteday (does this suggest that I should possiblily clean more often?...... don't answer that question Winking).

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited November 2013

OK, I've got this as one of my favorites now so hopefully I'll remember to post more often.

Went to the gym today. Got in 3.25 miles on the treadmill (1.75 walking, 1.5 running) in about 45 minutes. Also climbed 27 floors in 10 minutes on the stair climber machine and did some leg lift/reverse crunches and a set of back strengthening things on whatever that machine is called (I love it but I have no idea what it's called!). I guess it's not really a machine.....your feet are on foot pads with your calves braced from behind and you're at an angle leaning on a padded area just below the hips. You bend forward and use your back muscles to bring yourself back up. I love it because I tend to have some lower back issues if I don't keep both abs and lower back strong. Showered at the gym, picked up a few groceries, made some sloppy joes for my DH and DS (out hunting for the day). Sloppy joes are in the crockpot and I'm heading to a movie with a girlfriend in about half an hour.

Life is good Nerdy!

• AnnieLane
    edited November 2013

Worked out on the weight machines at the gym today, including, as usual, two different back strengthening whatchamacallit machines (Winking shout out to Lisa Jayne.)

Also power-walked Zoe, the power-walking wonder dog, and walked around the grocery store.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

I did a 35 mile group ride with midway stop at a bakery. That sour cherry turnover was just divine and much needed. Followed by a walk to Radio Shack for batteries and on to the supermarket for pork chops and bread. Making a pea soup right now for tomorrow night.

It's chilly and nasty out, but my hair was soaked from the ride. I leapt into a hot tub to warm up when I got back to my place. It's snowing in the mountains, so skiing is coming up really soon.

Waiting for potatoes to finish roasting so I can have dinner.....soup tomorrow.

HOWEVER.....I may expire from all these amazing scents (including a pumpkin custard) prior to dinner. - Claire

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2013

that soup and pumpkin custard sound great! Had to give a lecture this morning so that was all standing and walking at the podium. Went shopping with my daughter- we parked in the garage and did a great walk through the shops, grabbed a quick bite then walked back- saved half my dinner to take home I always feel better if I have to walk to where I eat and if I have leftovers

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013

Hi Lisa, glad you found your way back here!

Did a bunch of things today, none of which involved exercise, which actually felt fine. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Happy

• odie16
    edited November 2013

Walked over 12,000 steps today while running errands. Have a nice pot roast in the crockpot for tomorrow. 

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2013

My gym had 'ladies day' today you got a punch card and you got tickets for every class you took and then the tickets were entered in for a drawing, and they provided breakfast and had different vendors come in, it was a fun morning. I did a Spin class which was an hour then all the other classes were half hour sample classes so I did Body Combat and Boot Camp after that I went and got a pedicure ahhh having my feet massaged felt wonderful. Claire please come and move next door to me so I can come over and eatHappy Yes Lisa Jayne I agree life is goodThumbsUp

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

Well, DH and I dropped DD off at a sleepover then stopped for dinner. The small salad I ate was divine. But I'd be feeling more self-righteous about it if I hadn't had the fried pickles appetizer first. Yum!!!!

Then we walked around at various stores for a while. This week I am clear to get back to exercising!!!! Yay!!!! Cannot wait for a good FAST walk! And if THIS weather holds I would sure love to squeeze in a bike ride.

I just have to find some orange to wear so the hunters don't take aim. Orange is NOT my color. Loopy

• ruthbru
    edited November 2013
    Better be safe than sorry. That is why my Wednesday exercise group walks in town during hunting season! Yikes!
  • Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2013

Smart, Ruth!

I just wait til around 10am til the hunters go home for lunch.

Here are a couple of pics from past years. We are just a LITTLE bit country....1) Our super vicious guard dog keeping the back yard safe. 2) The Road Less Traveled. (My walking route.)

• claire_in_seattle
    edited November 2013

Dulci....orange vest with something closer to the skin that is more flattering. Neon yellow-green is quite visible too, and what I wear to be seen cycling. I just got batteries for all my lights and reflectors as the winter light is so low here in Seattle, especially if cloudy.

Ski tracks and I'm itching to go. But cycling through Thanksgiving. I usually do a ride prior to feasting.

On yesterday's ride, a lady who had not seen me in some time remarked how trim I look these days. Interesting, because I don't think I am that much thinner than I have been over the past several years. But some of this could be the result of more muscle from running. I am a lot thinner than the year prior to surgery. I think more likely that the result of the rest of my life is finally moving forward.

Anyway, I will take the compliment. I noticed the confidence in the Board Meeting last week. Major difference from even six months ago. I could speak with conviction about our programs and where we need to be going forward.

Having said all this, need to get it in gear for a ride. After I install the batteries. - Claire

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited November 2013

AnnieLane - love your avatar. Haven't seen you much on other forums so I'm not sure how new it is, but you look beautiful!

Sounds like everyone is getting in some type of activity whether it be running errands or doing housework or even Claire's Wonder Woman cycling Smile. I have simply got to get in my early morning workouts or I won't make any progress. I've gotten very 'fluffy' since exchange in August and need to tone up and lose weight, it's been really hard to get back in the early morning habit after several weeks of restrictions again. Doesn't help that I don't sleep well, and while working out does help a little there, it doesn't help nearly enough. I'll just keep on truckin' and let y'all help keep me accountable!

btw - I like the old emoticons much better Devil