Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544
    edited December 2013

Yeah, Heidi!!!

I really hate everything about the new emotions except the thumbs up and down signs.

It's a plank 'rest day' for me.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2013

Oh (((Joy))), your friend is really is in the thick of it; I'm sorry to read of the aggressive nature of her diagnosis. You can have her come here, Breastcancer.org has excellent messaging and as you know, amazing supportive forums and explanations to treatments. Mary, ditto to your thought's on caretaking DH's.

Two classes today, step and body balance.

The UK’s ambitious plan to sequence 100,000 whole genomes of NHS patients over the next 3-5 years, was announced by the UK Prime Minister in December last year, and sparked interest and curiosity throughout the UK genetics community. A new company, Genomics England Limited (GeL), was set up in June of this year by the Department of Health, tasked with delivering the UK100K genome project. As originally envisioned, they will focus on rare inherited diseases, cancer and infectious disease (in collaboration with Public Health England), although exactly how patients will be selected for sequencing remains uncertain and open for discussion. GeL are being extremely savvy with their tendering strategy and encouraging competition between the existing next generation sequencing providers to drive down costs, in full awareness that their initial Government funding of £100 million won’t reach far at today’s price of ~£5000 per genome.

Sir John Chisham, Executive Chair of GeL, emphasized: "This is an infrastructure project that aims to create a legacy for genomic medicine in the NHS for years to come. When all is said and done, there is little doubt that put in the position of facing cancer or dealing with a rare familial disease, most people would be keen to have whole genome sequencing. There is likely to be enormous public support for the project, and I think most geneticists are excited about the diagnostic potential it offers. Perhaps, then, their greatest challenge will be managing expectations – of patients who expect a diagnosis, of clinicians who expect the practice of medicine to be revolutionised overnight, and of politicians who expect to see a return on their investment."

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2013

Joy - sending hugs to you and your friend. I am sorry that her tumor is aggressive. If she's at all a computer person, I second Lilac's suggestion to have her come here. Somehow it's not so frightening when you find a whole community of supportive b/c people who are going through the same kinds of things.

Heidi - hooray on the all clear!!!! Happy

Badger - I'm not seeing the little icon explanations either - and I tried IE and Firefox. What browser are you using?

I think the personalized medicine aspect of cancer is going to change things so much. I think in 10-15 years we're going to look back and marvel at how primitive our treatments were, just as we look back now and marvel at how primitive treatment was a generation ago. I know that b/c gets a lot of research attention - probably way too much in comparison to some other cancers - but I do think that much of what is learned with b/c can be applied to other cancers, so in that way even the neglected cancers can benefit somewhat from all the funds that flow to b/c research. I've read before that in the future cancer types will be identified by their genetic "fingerprint" rather than by the organ in which it first appeared - somewhere I read that some type of b/c are closer genetically to some types of ovarian cancer than they are to other breast cancers.

30 minute treadmill run yesterday after work plus 60 second plank. Power90 Sculpt workout this morning - because of my LE I modify some of the exercises like the push ups (I do wall push ups) and some of the yoga (I modify poses like downward dog) but overall I'm finding that it's good overall workout. I also did my 60 second plank. I guess I need to start increasing the time now! Shocked

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2013

Took my three San Antonio Sundogs for a chilly (by our standards) walk, so now they are Chilly Dogs. Rested from planking.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2013

Heidihill, congrats on the all-clear!  Happy

Mary, I'm behind the times: running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 530 and browsing with IE 7.

Looking into upgrade options because Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP in Jan 2014.

Will go walk in a bit, right now I'm enjoying a cuppa after supper.  ♥ to all

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2013

Great news/results Heidihill.

Hit the gym tonight for a brisk 30 minute walk on the treadmill plus weights. It is my rest day on the plank challenge....

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

An hour on the treadmill....too cold to be outside!

• badger
    edited December 2013

An hour at the indoor track ~ 5.64 km = 3.5 mi

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

One more sundog picture:

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2013

Amazing picture, Ruth. Reminds me of the one I had skiing a few years ago.

Exercise was a walk to the wine bar. I needed an evening out.

Happy weekend everyone! - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2013

Joy I am so sorry about your friend, can she Skype you, it's not the same as being together but it does help keep you close. Heidi I second the ThumbsUp Badger I'm using Windows 8 now but I sure miss XP, I think my favourite is Loopy, it describes me Loopy. Great pictures Ruth.

Today I did a lunchtime RPM class, I went out to dinner last night to farewell a friend moving to Texas and then tonight out to dinner again to meet up with a friend in town from Boston so I had to fit something in somewhere.....

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2013

Heidi, your all clear is spectacular!

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited December 2013

Heidi - YAY on the all clear!!!

I just got done with P90X Ab Ripper X DVD and the P90X X-Stretch DVD, about 60 minutes total.  Felt good - I haven't had those DVDs out for nearly a year!  I couldn't keep up, of course, but what the heck.

Ruth- at first glance it looked like that picture was looking out over a body of water to me!  It's beautiful even though I know the reason it exists is the extreme cold....brrrrr.  Watching the weather reports this morning it looks like y'all are maybe even breaking records for cold, huh?

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

It is looking out on a body of water  called Devils Lake, so named by the Native Americans because of it's tendency to shrink down during dry spells and flood like the devil during wet ones (it has no natural outlet). The picture is from a ND tourism site, but I thought it was to good not to share.

Yes, the high is suppose to be 5 to 10 below today, but I guess that is better than an ice storm. Kind of a 'choose your own poison' type of thing! I am going to close down & exercise as I am going to be busy today. More later!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2013

Got up and went and did upper and lower body weight training training at the gym and came home and did my plank before work. Will walk the dogs on my lunch break. Stay warm everyone! I will not be complaining about our lower thirties temps here.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited December 2013

Day 7 45 second plank done!! With a stopwatch to keep me honest. As shaky as that one was I cannot imagine making it past maybe two minutes this month. But that's better than sitting on the couch!!

Sunny and very cold here (but Ruth wins the low temp prize!) but planning to walk here or extra while hanging out shopping while my DD is at a youth group event.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Did my Plank Challenge & Body Makeover Mix with Denise Austin. Since she is a big fan of planks, I ended up doing quite a bit more 'plankish' exercises by the time the DVD was done.

• badger
    edited December 2013

It's sunny and 4 degrees.  Off I go to Polar 5K.  Maybe thinking about ND will keep me warm(er). Winking

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2013

Rainy and cold here but Spin class and Bootcamp done. In Bootcamp we partnered up and in plank we did tug of war, plank opposite your partner then grab one hand/wrist and pull we did them for 60 seconds each time, talk about stomach shaking......

• badger
    edited December 2013

Just back from the Polar 5K and did walk outside.  Thank goodness for silk long johns!  Also silk socks & glove liners, a ragg wool sweater, a windbreaker, and a fleece hat, scarf & gloves.  All for a good cause.  No t-shirt but that's OK, they can send more money to St. Jude's. Logged 5.63 km = 3.5 miles.  ♥

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited December 2013

Did some retail therapy walking.  Problem was it wasn't much walking and then we went to Five Guys Burgers & Fries for lunch!  Will get in day 7 plank yet today also.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,858
    edited December 2013

Been off for awhile. Like Odie, The Crud set in my sinuses and I've been on an antibiotic and steroid pack. Feeling much better now!

Odie: Hope your meds are helping you.

To Everyone who has been sick, hoping you are better also.

Mary: I can just see Mikey sneaking up to the butter and really enjoying himself.

Cheryl: So glad you found your Fitbit!

Hello Everybody!!! I'm finally feeling good enough to go for my walk/run - it's been 10 days. Shocked l have a lot of catching up to do. The temperature is 49 degrees, not 4 degrees like Badger and definitely not -4 degrees like Ruth. I bundled up and had a nice sweat going on. No walking outside tomorrow because freezing rain is predicted.

Happy Saturday Night!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2013

4 mile run and 90 second plank today. Snow & freezing rain forecast for all day tomorrow so ready to hunker down. Keep warm & safe everyone!

• odie16
    edited December 2013

Badger, wtg  on the Polar 5k

Wonderland, welcome back. Glad you are feeling better now.I am taking antibiotics and starting to feel better day by day. 

Completed my 45second plank today plus walked about 2miles while running errands before the anticipated snow/freezing rain. Looks like tomorrow will be a hibernation day putting up the Christmas tree and baking cookies. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2013

Oh my…I didn't think I was gone for that long but 4 pages have gone by and I can't catch up! You are all at it hard and strong, congrats to all of you! I skipped a few days, then gym Thursday and a 9 mile hike this morning. Ouch. I'm going to go plank now!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited December 2013

Welcome back, Wonderland!

Kettlebells yesterday. 45 second plank this morning. Going for a hike at noon.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

As promised, here is a picture of my 'sexy sweater'. It is attending a Christmas party with DH and me:

• badger
    edited December 2013

Ruth, you look great!  ThumbsUp 

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

It's the PLANKS!

* if anyone knows how to shrink the pictures down now, please share!

• odie16
    edited December 2013

Ruth,

You look great; love the sweater. Great pic of you and your hubby...