Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited January 2014

I don't like the treadmill, so it just FELT like 454 minutes!

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

A little reminder for those of us freezing in the north:

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Well, DH bought the suit after I made the remark while getting dinner on last night that our son would fit into it soon enough - that was the practical tipping point needed, than the light of clarity came shinning through!  And yes Mary, it was a logistical event getting close to the front door of the shop to drop DH so he would not have to walk far and it did screw up the rest of his day regarding rest - Bath is amazing and S&S, you do know your dates and places your history maven, you too Roses Claire.  The reports over here of the east coast pounding looks awful and it takes 3 days for those storms to make it over here.  Ruth, you go woman and Annie & Dulci, I got frozen shoulder from the diep surgery and went for as long as I could stand it and ditto on cortisone ousting the pain and getting my left rotator cuff back on track.

Got to the gym this morning for body balance and freestyle step and Cheryl, I know you are not  a body balance person yet this new release is by far one of the most challenging ass-kicking wise that I've experienced.Happy

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Walked the dogs and did lower body weight training at the gym and some shoulder stretches. Will do my PT shoulder stretches this evening.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited January 2014

You guys are so funny! Lilac, glad your husband went for the suit. Twohobbies, I will post the pic below without animation on that thread. Hope your arm and back are feeling better.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

That looks like a freakin post card - awesome photo!!

• Dulcigirl
    edited January 2014

Heidi...WOW!! What an amazing Creator we have!

Decided to take a day off from cycling, but it's way too cold to go for a walk. (Frostbite warnings and all.) So I decided to use our basement steps. I've gone down and back up 35 times so far. 

With another winter storm on the way and the possibility of another foot of snow there's loads of potential for a variety of exercise. Headphones <<<Those are earmuffs, right? ;-)

• AnnieLane
    edited January 2014

For the first time in ten years, my daughter & son-in-law in Iowa are talking about moving to Texas! Happy

I expect that to last until the next time they come to visit in the summer. Scared

• sweetandspecial
    edited January 2014

Dulci - thanks for the great reminder about the fitness opportunities right in our own homes. Stair stepping - free!   Pushups (wall, countertop, floor) - free!  Squats - free!  Lunges - free!  Dips - free!  Hula-hooping - free!  Canned goods curls and presses - free!  Calisthenics - free!

Holy wah!!

Annie - my kids haven't been away from home for all that long but I already wish they still lived closer. DS is only an hour and a half away but DD is now in Maryland.  Hope your DD and SIL keep the goal and make you a happy mommy!

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

So I felt quite a bit better today after my spill so after work I spent  20 minutes manually shoveling the "clean up" areas, you know where the car was parked and where the snowplow moves a foot of snow back in your driveway after you're pristinely cleaned it.  I think that will be my exercise for today.  It's 12 degrees and so I think that should count double!

Annie when I was in high school we had the snowiest winter ever in Chicago and I think there was a large exodus to Florida over the next few months.  So yes maybe you'll get your daughter to join see you in Texas. 

Dulci loved that.  We have to remind ourselves no hurricanes, no mudslides, no earthquakes. 

Natsfan its not Ruth's fault.  Up north here, we call it cold Candian air.  So its Canada's fault. 

Heidi another beautiful photo.  I have the same scene here.  Well without the mountains. 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Today's exercise was incline training on the treadmill thou nowhere near the bar set by Ruth...lol.

Oh, and shivering. Lots of shivering...Where the heck is a good hot flash when you need one? 

Happy Friday ladies.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

odie, don't ya wish you could summon a HF at will?  Think of it, middle-aged ladies could power the world!

Mary, I meant to say how much I liked yr company C-Mas video card esp yr DH's "cast of characters".  Even without the cast, he's still a character LOL.

Love the pix, keep 'em coming!  Heidihill you make me long for the high country snows of the Colorado Rockies.

LB, glad you found the right words to help yr DH see the light and buy that suit.  New clothes always make me feel good and hope it does same for him.

Left work early for onco app't.  All is well and I see him in another 6 months.  Stopped by the gym on the way home and walked for an hour on the indoor track.  Nice and warm in there.  Logged 5.8 km = 3.6 miles.

Gonna be like minus 50 wind chills here Sun/Mon with high temps in the double digits below zero. Yikes. Shocked

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2014

Happy New Year everyone!  I was offline over Christmas and got out of the habit of checking in.  I'm doing another 30/30 hooping challenge (30 minutes a day for 30 days) and committing to 3x per week of my strength workout, which is a reduction.  I was doing it every day which I guess is not the way to go with weights.  Just added pushups and wow I'm out of shape for those.  Used to do knee pushups but I can't even do those so I'm starting with counter edge.

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

I shoveled the snow.  I swore to my husband that even though my post surgery restrictions were lifted, snow shoveling would not be in my future.  Our driveway is 1/4 a mile long and I did feel guilty so out I went.  Unfortunately, I learned I can shovel snow.  

I start chemo shortly.  I swear I will keep moving through this.  

Okay, so who can tell me about planks and where I can learn how to do them?  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Badger, I've always been under the impression that middle age WOMEN do power the world or, at the very least - BC.org. Warrior Woman, you will work it and you rock.  Heidi, your photos make me long for some downhill.  Odie said:: Oh, and shivering. Lots of shivering...Where the heck is a good hot flash when you need one? Funny, clever one you are!Happy

• badger
    edited January 2014

LB, I stand corrected, we are strong (and hot!) women who may not always be ladiesWinking

Warrior_Woman, you can google "30 day plank challenge" or go back to page 577 of this thread (Dec 1st).

Good luck with chemo!  Do what you can and rest when you need to.  I'll bump a thread for you called "More Tips and a Shopping List for getting through chemo".  Very helpful!

It's so cold today, I'm going to pull out a zumba DVD for this afternoon's exercise.  Shocked  (< shocked face)

I would like to get my BMI below 25, it's at 27.4 as of yesterday.  Need to shed 20 lbs for that to happen.

• Safetyyfirst
    Safetyyfirst Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014

Congrats Ruth,  on your recent bone density test.  You and the cats should have a celebration.

Their dental reprieve, and your fantastic med. improvements.💐

Good luck continued good news!

Barb

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

The weatherman just said that the brutal weather coming in is called a Polar Vortex.....so now we know who to blame....SANTA CLAUS!!!!!!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Not the best timing for me to join this thread (surgery on Jan8), but I read it all the time and decided I might as well stop lurking. I'm a pretty active person, but am finding most of my friends are dropping off the "stick with exercise" mentality, and I could use some "like minded" connections. Went for a 12k walk in the snow yesterday (temp wasn't too bad), today it is snowing (again) and windchill of -23C. Probably will end up heading down to the gym in our condo instead of outside. 

fyi....I like the Polar Vortex theory.....we are always getting blamed for the bad weather in the States Nerdy!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

nihahi, welcome!! You have come to the right place! Smile

I just did the treadmill too & now will dig out a toning DVD.....my YMCA classes start up again next week & I am really looking forward to that, this 'indoor exercise all by myself' routine  is getting old! (Hopefully the weather won't cancel them out......I see that the Governor of Minnesota has cancelled school for the whole state on Monday!)

• Dulcigirl
    edited January 2014

Our  impending storm has a name! "Ion" is filling the stores with crazy Y2K people. And I have to wait til DH gets home with the car to go get food. Ugh! DS took my car for the weekend cuz his doesn't have snow tires.

Meanwhile I biked 16 miles today while watching the rest of  a Nicholas Sparks movie. What is up with that guy? Does he always let "her" find the love she's always hoped for....and then kill off Mr. Right before they can be together??? Whatever happened to Happily Ever After????!!!! Sheesh. 

Anyhoo...it took him SO LONG to get rid of the guy this time that I rode more than planned. My butt will be eternally grateful even though my heart is royally ticked off. 

Happy snow shoveling to you all!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

I did the boring treadmill.  I don't know what a Polar Vortex is but I don't like the sound of it.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

I know Polar Vortex sounds cold and windy.  Isn't a vortex something you can't get out of?  That doesn't sound good.  So today being fairly mild, I walked my dog for 30 minutes and shoveled the back deck for 20.  Next I'm going to run out and do the last of the errands before that Polar Vortex arrives. 

• badger
    edited January 2014

hi all and welcome nihahi.  It was so surprisingly mild today (28 degrees F) that I walked my 2.5 mile route outdoors.  Took an hour as I was wearing my big warm Sorel boots and some people don't shovel their sidewalks very well.  But I got out there and will save the zumba DVD for tomorrow when the polar vortex comes in.

Our gov left it up to local school boards to decide about closing Mon but Madison has already canceled classes so I imagine others will, too.  

I'm simmering soup stock so the house smells great and as a bonus it adds some much-needed humidity to the air.  ♥  

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Madison, WI.....I spent one of the best summers of my life in Madison, doing my OT psych internship at Madison General Hospital! We used to ride bikes around one of the lakes (can't remember the name) and the arboretum!!!!!

Today I did 45 minutes of incline and speed intervals on the hamster track (aka treadmill) and 15 minutes of yoga to stretch out afterwards. Still have some more yoga and some core to do...but....it's also a good afternoon to reward myself with some chair/blanket/book time!

• candi07
    candi07 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2014

Hello, I'm new to this thread. Currently doing rads 8/33 so far. I started back working out at the gym. Today I did 30 mins on treadmill! Haven't worked my way up to running yet but it's coming. Also, did 35 mins on the elliptical, did weights for biceps and triceps. Finished off my work out by sitting in the sauna for 20 mins. I'm hoping to tone my thighs and arms...myproblem areas. I hope to drop about 20 pounds. 

• badger
    edited January 2014

welcome candi07.  I need to lose 20 lbs myself in order to get BMI below 25. Please take a look at this great thread created by our own NatsFan, titled "Guidelines on Exercise for those with/at risk for Lymphedema".  You can safely exercise!  There are links to two short well-written info papers, one for you and one to print and give to your trainers.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/58/topic/801453?page=3#idx_62

nihahi, I work in Madison but live south & west of there.  The Capitol is on an isthmus, between Lakes Mendota and Monona.  Exceptionally beautiful if I do say so myself.

• AnnieLane
    edited January 2014

Walked the dogs today - it was a beautiful day here, sunny and in the low sixties. Also worked out with my free weights at home.

• sweetandspecial
    edited January 2014

About 30 minutes shoveling snow - again

And worked in the garage with DH for 3 hours. Hauling trash, organizing, etc.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Welcome Nihahi and Candi. S&S please send your DH over, the garage here needs some serious organizing!! Heidi an absolutely gorgeous photo. Personally I don't want to be caught up in a Polar Vortex, it sounds very scarySnooze So please all of you 'in weather' stay safe.

This morning went to a health and fitness class at the gym followed by a Spin class. For all of you worrying about BMIs the guy in charge of this meeting said if you are healthy being at the top end of your BMI is perfectly fine, he said really the BMI is for the obese, it was an interesting class reiterated a lot if things I already know but don't do Sad