Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Badger - Thank you so much.  

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

I had to laugh when I checked in. All the activity!!!!  Must be the week post holidays.

I haven't been skiing, and I can see the impact.  Normally, I burn off what I eat.  Hmmmmmm.

I got out and did 26 miles of cycling.  Waited for temps to get near 40 so to avoid ice.  No snow in the lowlands, but just gorgeous.  I can see that the days are already getting brighter.

All the talk of Brussels sprouts on another thread has me roasting some for dinner.  Plus carrots and potatoes.

I need to work on a proposal as may go to Mount Rainier in the AM.  Wanted to get there today, but was just too burnt.

But last night's Open House was a major success.  More on that later.  What a way to start out the New Year! - Claire

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

Cheryl - I'm the organizer, not DH - lol!!!  In the past he's always been able to blame missing tools or messes or tools left laying around on our DS.  However, DS has been out of the house for several years now so he's finally realizing that HE'S the culprit, not DS! I've been gently reminding him at opportune moments for a long time that if he would clean up his messes and put his tools back where he got them that he wouldn't have to grumble every time he opens the garage door.  He's really not a very organized person at all so I'm the one that drives that aspect but I'm so glad my efforts are finally bearing some fruit - YAY!!!!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Waiting for next round of storm to roll over from North America. Hope we can take a pass at Ion and Polar Vortex, although I doubt it.

Sun came out from sunrise until about 1pm so I got out late morning and ran a  5k.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Windchill of -38C this morning, so it was back to the gym for me. 60 minutes of resistance intervals on the bike, 10 minutes reverse walking on the treadmill. Will do some yoga/core later in the afternoon per usual. It's sunny, but yikes it's cold here. Today we take down and pack away all the Christmas stuff.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Did about a half hour of shoveling and am working on another 35 rounds of the basement steps. That was an awesome calf/glute workout Friday. I'm still feeling it! 

Temps were perfect for being outside, but the scary Polar Vortex is on its way! This pic is on top of my picnic table at 1:30 Sunday afternoon. This was supposed to be the "light" part of the storm. Heaviest snowfall still to come this afternoon and tonight. My son is trying to drive home from Nat'l Guard drill in it. BawlingShockedSadThumbsDown

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

I'm glad I didn't join the gym yet.  Mother Nature has been providing my exercise.  Today it snowed more so I shoveled 25 minutes and walked the dog 15.  15 was all I could stand. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545
    edited January 2014

I did a hard FIRM DVD yesterday, so did a nice lower body pilates with Denise Austin today. They have cancelled school tomorrow because it is going to be just too cold. I read that anybody under the age of 40 has never experienced weather this cold....scary!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Ruth, that is scarey Shocked

Dulci, hope your son makes it home safe and sound.

It is colder here than it was, but nothing like some of you are experiencing. Temps will be in the twenties here tonight.

DH and I took the dogs out walking and I went to the gym to do weight training and stretching. I'm lucky that my gym is very close to home and my company pays for my membership.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,859
    edited January 2014

All this snow and cold is really scary! I worry about everyone in the path of the vortex. We are expecting 6 degrees in the morning. It's been a long time since I've seen it in single digits.

I haven't exercised in the last 2 days. I review grants and it's that time of the year SO I sit on my butt and read and make notes. I am making a promise to myself and all of you that I'll be active tomorrow.

Stay warm everyone!

• Dulcigirl
    edited January 2014

Finished my 35 reps of steps.

And my son made it home. Roads were terrible and he had a couple of close calls, but now mommy can breathe!!! 

We've already gotten a foot of snow with more predicted overnight, but they are warning mainly about the wind...wind chills expected down to -25 tomorrow night. Holy Polar Vortex, Batman!! Schools are closing everywhere. My poor, sad daughter. (We homeschool. Lol!!!) 

Stay safe, everyone. 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Glad DS made it home......scary to have people on the road in bad weather!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited January 2014

I finally got to go skiing!  This is why I love the sport so much.  The Tatoosh Mountains are in the distance. - Claire

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Awesome, claire...I share your love. I'm going snowshoeing tomorrow. Would rather be on my xcountry skis, but have to put that off for a bit.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2014

Oh, Claire... that's just gorgeous country!!!!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Lovely photo Claire. Glad your son made it home safely Dulci. S&S you inspired me and today I put away all the Christmas decorations and made an attempt to clean up the garage, I hope it's true that you have to make a huge mess before it all comes together otherwise I'm in troubleSad

No formal exercise today but I have managed my 10,000 steps. Went shopping this afternoon and parked way always from the front door, have to say my neuroma has flared again and my foot has been giving me problems for the past few days and I have to admit its really sore so I may have to go for another cortisone shot, I did purchase new shoe inserts the other day that cost more than a pair of shoesSinging

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Oh, oh, take care of that foot, Cheryl!

• sweetandspecial
    edited January 2014

Dulci - glad DS made it home safely!

Claire - gorgeous country!  Is that you in the photo?

Cheryl - Yes, it's true.  Sometimes when cleaning up a mess you definitely have to make an even bigger mess first before you can make any progress - don't despair!  I'm sorry you feet bother you so and am proud of you for still getting in those 10,000 steps!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited January 2014

Yes, I am the one in the photo.  I am feeling the 7-8 miles this morning.  Especially, the long climb back up.  I was at ~6000' so a good workout that way too.

Probably a run later today.  And I need to get on a conference call....like NOW! - Claire

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2014

Claire - beautiful country!  Cheryl - take care of that foot. Yikes - cold, cold, and colder still for all of you up north - I won't complain about our upcoming single digits at all because at least we'll be above zero.  That Green Bay-SF game looked brutal yesterday. 

Ann - finally got a chance to try one of the hooping DVDs this weekend - I have basic waist hooping down, but that's it.  The first move they tried to teach is a 360 turn - they made it look so easy!  After 30 minutes of trying, I finally got to where I could do a 90 degree turn without the hoop clattering down, so I think it's going to be a while for me until I get to the full 360 turn. Loopy  But I'll keep plugging away.

DH finally got his cast off this morning, and the surgical site looks good.  But his arm is so small and atrophied!  They started physical therapy this morning, and apparently beat him up pretty badly.  Necessary, but still no fun.  He's scheduled for PT 3x a week for the next couple of months, so he's got some painful moments ahead of him before he gets back to 100%.   Sad

30 minutes on the elliptical this morning.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited January 2014

Love the pic, Claire. I hope to try cross country skiing this winter. Take care of that foot, Cheryl! Mary, hope the pain can be relieved with ibuprofen or something.

BodyJam tonight--- I really need some endorphins. My arm is a mess after 5 people had a go at it to get some contrast medium in my veins. In the end they had to call the anesthesiologist from the operating room. He saved the day. Please keep fingers crossed for me until I get the results.  

• sweetandspecial
    edited January 2014

60 minute group torture class this morning - this week is very heavy on the burpees (I HATE burpees!).  Man, oh man, it sure doesn't pay to take much time off from the gym.  It's gonna be much to cold to shovel tonight so that'll probably be it for me today.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Sending a hug, Heidi!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

It finally happened!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited January 2014

LOVE this one Ruth.

Needed to share part of my ski from yesterday.  Not as much snow here so more challenging than last year. Tatoosh Mountains in the distance.- Claire

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

LMBO @ hell freezing over.  Good one.  I did the boring treadmill.  There were simply NO excuse not to today as it's because of icy weather like today that I wanted a treadmill in the first place.

Good luck to your DH Nat.  And Heidi, fingers crossed.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

Damn. I cant remember all those things I said I would do when hell freezes over. 

• Dulcigirl
    edited January 2014

Ha!! 

That sign is from a little town a couple of hours from us. Hell, Michigan. It freezes over almost every year.Winking

They have a bike ride "To Hell and Back." Here's a little history:

"They've heard it all, the people who live in Hell. Some call and ask how hot it is. Some call to find out when Hell freezes over. One couple came to Hell to get married on April Fool's Day. And yes, the road to Hell is paved. It's not easy finding Hell because people keep stealing the road signs. This "Hellish" business supposedly began in 1850, when a businessman wanted to name the town after himself. The townspeople didn't like the idea, so he told them where to go; he also suggested that they could name the town that, too. And they did. The ride is anything but hell, with rolling hills, lakes, trees, farms, and the unique towns of Dexter and Chelsea."

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Walked the dogs and thanked the Lord that I live in San Antonio. I do not tend to be so thankful for that in the summer. Loving the photos, but not envying any of you Northerners right now.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

Love the 'Hell' story.