Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2014

Oh, Ruth... scary!!! So glad your friend is o.k.!!!

Can I please hijack this thread for a minute?

We had a timed walking test in my weight loss program (through Kaiser). We were supposed to walk back and forth in the hallway, down to a taped line, then back to the start, and so forth. A team member would log in your laps and count out your time. 

I was partnering with my friend, an older lady who had lost a considerable amount of weight, gotten extremely healthy, and recently walked a marathon with her DD.

She started out by going too fast. I told her to slow down and pace herself. On the third lap she said she couldn't breathe. I yanked her out of the exercise and took her into the classroom to sit down. A fellow teammate, a nurse, took her pulse and helped calm her. 

But when she started to complain about awful indigestion, I went out and told the instructor that we might have an emergency on our hands and could she please page a doctor? She hesitated, and I told her the lady had heart problems in the past.

Even though it was after hours in the clinic, she found a physician and some nurses who examined my friend. They called 911 immediately and sent her to the ER. She had suffered a heart attack. She's better now, but had we not intervened, she would have had her husband drive her home - 45 minutes away, out in the country...and who knows what might have happened.

Ladies - women do not have the same heart attack symptoms as men. They may not get that severe radiating pain down the left arm, or that crushing sensation in the chest. Often, it will feel like indigestion, and most women don't want to bother anyone with such a stupid symptom.

A nurse at the hospital once told me "The main symptom of heart attack in women is DENIAL."

So - for all you Workout Warriors, you are doing amazing things with your bodies. Just please pay attention to them, and don't write off any "minor" symptoms.

O.K. Off my soapbox now!!! Back to our regular programming!!!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

blessings....wise words, for sure!!! I hope your friend recovers quickly and without permanent issues. 

My favourite yoga teacher of all time always stressed the need to...."respect and listen to your body".

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,547
    edited January 2014

Good Grief! We have both had scary days, Blessings. Your friend is so lucky you were there and took charge of the situation.

A good reminder to listen to our bodies, and if something is 'off' to not ignore it, but to get it checked out; better to be safe than sorry!

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

Ruth and Blessings - my goodness, what an eventful day!  Ruth, I'm glad they are looking after your friend and going to monitor her for a bit!

Nihahi - My Onc is a big fan of saying "listen to your body" when it comes to exercise too!

Reporting in with my exercise:  2 hours and 10 minutes tonight - 15 miles combo EFX (13) and treadmill (2).  I went so late (7:30) that I decided to go longer so that I wouldn't have to go tomorrow - and then Saturday I only need one hour to finish up my week.  Because I was dx'd TNBC - moderate-to-vigorous exercise has been reported as very helpful, so that's why I try to keep my numbers where they are - it ensures me that I've been sweating.  But, I do know my limits - and the reminder about heart attack and symptoms is a good reminder.   

Hope everyone has a very happy Friday!  :o)

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Wow Ruth and Blessings you both have had real scares today, glad in the end everything turned out well for both friends . LB I am FB friends with Ann and she is doing a hoop challenge and posting there daily and it's very impressive what she can do with a hoop. Still taking it easy just getting in my 10,000 steps per day and no gym till Saturday.

Here you go ladies - Heidis BJ class poster Happy

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2014

Oh, ladies, my scare was several months ago. My friend is doing much better now. But thank you for your thoughts.Smile

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2014

Ladies I think I need the Voices... have been skipping my daily exercise, barely doing a few minutes here and there.  Yuck!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2014

Ruth, how scary - so glad your friend seems to be doing OK.  And Blessings - good for you for taking charge with your friend and overriding her denial.  Glad she's doing well now.

Cheryl - that Body Jam poster is positively frightening!  Shocked

Ann - here's the first Voice for you - how about doing something different today to get you going?  Walk on the beach, go to a high-end mall and window shop, sign up for a 30-day trial membership at a local gym, borrow the neighbor's dog and take it for a walk, go swing on the swings at the local park - just something to shake things up a bit. 

Woohoo - temps were up to 9 degrees this morning - we're having a heat waaaaave, a tropical heat waaaave! Singing  (Yes, the cold is making me silly.)  OK, Ruth, so you say this isn't your weather, but that it's polar weather.  Then I really need to have a talk with the fat man in the red suit!  Of course he's probably stretched out on a Caribbean beach right now, adult beverage in hand.

Didn't report in yesterday but I did 30 minutes elliptical yesterday morning, 30 minutes on the dreadmill after work.  30 minutes weights this morning. 

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

going snowshoeing today.....WOOHOO!

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

I've been out of commission for a few days with a fever that hit 102.5.  I never get fevers.  I don't get sick.  I just get life threatening diseases that require having my boobs chopped off and poison injected in me.  I really missed a lot on here.  Regarding heart attacks, I appreciate the reminder about the symptoms / lack of symptoms in women.  It so strange lately.  I don't know what is going on with my body.  Sometimes I have pains and I cannot figure out the cause.  I know chemo is rough on the heart.  Indigestion is common with chemo.  Ugh.  Today I'll be examined at the Cancer Center and then assuming they don't torture me, I'll go to the gym.  I'll probably do an hour of cardio on the boring machines.  

nihahi - Thanks for the reminder.  I have snow shoes!  Great idea but I want to make certain I'm well enough before I spend too much time in the frigid weather.  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Thanks Blessings  and learn something new everyday and Ruth, nice to read your friend is ok.  Ann, there you are, get yer hoop around yee.  So far, we live in a snowshoe free zone and hoping it stays that way.

Freestyle step and body balance at the gym this morning and a long chill-out afterwards in the steam room.

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited January 2014

Ann, I like Nat's suggestions!  Pick a fun activity and that will help you ease into a commitment again.  I also find a paper on the fridge helped me get into a commitment - because I always gave myself a good reason for not going, and then one day turned into many days. With the note, I can kind of see what's going on and it puts things into perspective.  Also as you start to put the exercise down on the note, you start to build momentum on knowing you accomplished it. Another thing I have found, is sometimes it is easier to get it done in the AM and then go one with things.  But if you work during the day it does become a challenge to squeeze it in.

Walking the mall can be a great workout - you could either go during the day and also shop, or you could go at 7AM, where many malls entrance doors are open so that the mall walkers can get in and do their thing.  You might have a great time seeing everyone descend pre-opening for their daily walk. Swinging also sounds fun, someone does hula hooping on here, etc.  You can also maybe wash the car by hand, clean out the garage, etc.

I didn't work out during chemo, so all of you who are currently doing that - that's impressive to me!  I was happy just to be able to keep the house cleaned and stir up the vacuum a little each day.

• InspiredbyDolce
    edited January 2014

Warrior - hope your fever is coming back down now and that you are starting to feel better!  If you are feeling like moving, try something indoors ... but your body probably needs a good rest right now!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2014

I joined a new gym today, one that is partially covered by my health insurance - what a wonderful benefit I never knew we had.  They are calling me to schedule my orientation.  It has been over two months since I've been actively exercising, so basically it's like starting over again.  But start again I will, because in the end it is worth it.

I switched from Tamoxifen to Anastrozole about 3 weeks ago - not sure if its the new med or lack of exercise, but I have insomnia, general down in the dumps attitude, and my hot flashes are back with a vengeance.  Always so easy to blame the drug for side effects, we will see when I start back to regular exercise if its really the drug or my lack of activity giving me these symtoms.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

Forgot to post this morning - I did my 60 minute group class at the gym before work.  Crazy busy lately and haven't had time to do much but speed read through everyone's posts........

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Took yesterday off so my legs could recover. I am amazed!! I had absolutely no soreness after all those miles!   Guess I should up my regular game. I burned so many calories riding that I didn't gain any weight from having shortcake for desert...then breakfast and lunch yesterday!!  (Where's that blushing emoticon??!)

Last night I came down with some sort of stomach bug. I'm doing my basement stair climbing between bathroom trips. Booooo!!!

But I'm just incredibly thankful that I don't have to leave my house today! Windchills down to -25 currently. Yikes!!!!!!! At this rate I won't get to ice skate til June!

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Survived The Great San Antonio Ice Storm of 2014Smileand got out to walk the dogs before leaving them and the kitty with DS. Hitting the road to Dallas to see our 15 year old granddaughter in a school play and spend the weekend.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

Dulci - Having the pottyhouse trots just means there'll be more room for shortcake when you feel better Winking

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Come on Ann, get back at it!!!!!

Warrior, don't exercise with a fever (anything else I would say to give it a try, but not a fever).

I survived my 7th grade science day. I am rather strange (in many ways, one being that if somebody says, "Oh, that class is so awful." I kind of enjoy the challenge of trying to prove them wrong.) So, I was on my toes all day, but it went pretty well & I believe the kids learned something & had some fun too.

I did a little pilates & treadmill when I got home & am off to a basketball game in a few minutes. My friend is out of the hospital but was sleeping when I called. I talked to her DH, who said this isn't the first time she has felt faint like that, so the doctors are going to run some tests & try to get to the bottom of it. Yikes!!

We are supposed to get really bad weather this weekend......again!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2014

Thank you, Voices Smile 

I did my pushups last night and a respectable walk today (2 miles with hills).  

I feel really lucky to be outside in shorts when it's so cold elsewhere.  Brrr!

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

7k snowshoe today...lots of hoar frost on the trees, in spots where the sun hadn't hit it before we got there. You just can't beat crisp mountain air on a sunny winter day.

warrior....I hope you're feeling better....chemo takes a  toll....respect what your body is already fighting, and maybe look at your fitness program from a different perspective for awhile. I don't mean do nothing, but, maybe dial back the intensity??? If you are fighting a fever....it isn't the best move to stress your system more, imho. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2014

hi all, haven't been here for a few days and there were 4 pages to catch up on!  Thanks, everyone, for the info, the pix, the laughter, and the love.

Been working lots of extra hours to reconcile previous year's books.  Almost done but last push this weekend as deadline is Monday.

Had annual exam late this week.  Doc won't order a bone density test until I'm 5 years post-ooph, but did send me for a lipid panel to check cholesterol.  Haven't ever had that done so will be interested in results.

Logged 24.72 km = 15.36 miles walked since last post.  ♥ to all

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

My white blood cell count is so low I was told not to go to the gym today.  

"...there’s only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Oh, Warrior. Sad

Be gentle with yourself. You will get through this and get back to the things you love. 

Sending you a (((hug.)))

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

Wow....what a busy group!!  I am so glad it's the end of the week and I have tomorrow (mostly) off.  That is, other than a final check of the online survey I am fielding.  I am hoping to get in a long cycle, which I really need.  I was up at 6 this morning checking responses to see if we needed to do anything else prior to going to full launch.  All is fine.

I got the crash and burn project from last weekend finished.  Things were so bad last night that my friend Sarah who manages the wine bar told me that she could see I have been working too hard!!!  I bagged the second two acts of the opera tonight, as Rigoletto is just too dark unless you are up for it.  I wasn't.

I have been doing my exercise, but not as much running as I would like.

Wednesday night's dinner with Foundation Medicine was really a glimpse into the future.  Genomic sequencing, and one of their senior people spoke.  His oncology practice (he is also a JD, MPH, MBA) was largely breast cancer and he was impressed that I had exercised throughout chemo (he knew the study).  I ate way too much as at an amazing Italian place and family style.

I got rid of all the papers from my cleanout today at the U-pitch-it place.  I think I won the award for filling the bin faster than anyone they had ever seen.

At this point, I am excited about moving into my new place.  I think a statement about a number of things.

I swung by the resale shop yesterday, and snagged TWO pairs of amazing dress trousers for a song.  These are what I wear out, so thrilled.  Unfortunately, my Prada black cashmere layering piece bit the dust this week, so need to hunt for something to replace.  Now that I am in the nonprofit offices 3 days a week, it matters what I wear.

My birthday is in 2 weeks so need to pick out the feature wine bar menu.  I have learned to do my party there.  So fun, and good wine.  Most of my friends are just fine with this concept.

Off to bed.  I have a 7:30 call, but 7 is sleeping in these days.  I just need to reset my brain tomorrow.  I am so glad I got to go skiing 3 weeks ago.

I am jealous of everyone with great skiing.  I will get back there.  I am thinking Victoria BC for my birthday. - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Ran 5.75k this afternoon

(((Warrior Woman)))

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Warrior, hang in there.  A person can not help how their body responds to things like chemo; some people can maintain a pretty normal schedule and others are knocked flat, through no reason other than just plain good or bad luck (kind of like pregnancy; some people go from the gym to the delivery room, and others spend the whole nine months throwing up or on bed rest)......just get through it and know that being in good shape going in will help you bounce back a lot faster once you are done.

I slept in & here is how I'm feeling this morning:

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

WW be good to yourself.  Rest. 

Treadmill done.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Warrior, are you getting Neulasta shots? If not, you probably should be.

Did The FIRM 500 Calorie Workout.