Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited January 2014

Body balance this afternoon and freestyle step tonight.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

"guilty of underachieving" today. Going to have to count housework as the activity...yucko!

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

InspiredbyD - Thank you.  I'm getting my recipes together.  My DH actually has many of the ingredients that have been suggested.  I've been eating Power Bars for 20 years.  Unbelievable.  

Today I took a break.  My whole body hurts and the 5.5 hour trip to the PS was all I could manage.  Tomorrow I'll get up before the snow begins and go to the gym.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    edited January 2014

i was NOT off for MLK day Sadbut i did walk 30 minutes at lunch today. 

Welcome iamnancy. Sometimes when I don't feel like exercising I tell myself I will just do ten minutes. Frequently I  then feel like continuing on.  If not thats ten minutes at least. 

Warrior woman whole soy is kind of an unknown but pretty much everyone says no to processed soy.   

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

I was not off today either, but I did have a shorter work day: 5 hrs instead of 8. DH & I walked the dogs. I power-walked Zoe, the Wonder Dog. She has very bad hips and her legs tend to slip out from under her on smooth floors, but get her outside where she has good traction and she turns into the Energizer Bunny. We are still enjoying gorgeous weather.

I also went to the gym and did lower body endurance training and upper body strength training and some stretching. Still coping with a painful frozen right shoulder.

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2014

Two Hobbies - oh your post is so true!  Sometimes when I don't feel like doing any exercise, I'll tell myself just go do a bit, and then usually somewhere in the course of a few minutes the mood starts to change and I'm able to do a full workout.  I had this discussion with my Uncle one time, and he said the same thing happens with him.  He will not be in the mood for a workout, but once he gets going he will do a full workout.

• Sunshower
    Sunshower Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2014

i haven't exercised since last week. My 20 month old daughter has had a fever on and off for the past week and I'm fighting not to get sick since I'm set to start my chemo treatments this Friday. I hope I can get some exercise in this week. Anyone had a cold going into chemo? Also once my hair falls out, what would you recommend wearing to the gym? When I was walking on the treadmill I kept having thoughts of loosing my head covering...crazy thought, I know. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,546
    edited January 2014

Hope your daughter gets well and you stay well, Sunshower. I don't think a cold would matter unless you were really laid out with it. As for head coverings, I was a wig wearer. Mine had double sided tape; it so it couldn't come loose, even on really windy days....I wore it walking, to track meets, football games etc., you were even supposed to be able to swim in......I never did actually swim, but wore it to a waterpark and went around on the 'lazy river' in an inner tube with it firmly in place.

I tried the yoga class; and as I suspected, I am too restless to enjoy  it. The teacher was very good, and I could see going every once and awhile when I can't get to my other classes, but it won't become my 'thing'. (I kept sneaking glances at the clock thinking, "When is this going to be over?" Shocked

I went to Zumba tonight, which I LOVE, LOVE!

• Sunshower
    Sunshower Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2014

thank ruthbru😊...I'll check to see if I could find one with double sided tape...I'm not planning on swimming in it. I just want something secure...I love Zumba too. I hope I can get back to the gym later this week. 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Add me to the list of those who had to work today. Hit the gym after work for 30 minutes on the Elliptical plus weights. Seems Mother Nature has shovel and sculpt in my exercise plan for tomorrow. 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2014

I almost got dressed today!!!

But I didn't. False alarm!!!

Loopy

More acupuncture - and maybe cupping - on Friday.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014

Blessings, you crack me up!!!! Hope you are feeling better.......

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2014

Sunshower, I loved wearing Buffs on my head after I lost my hair. They have some beautiful colors and prints and they are perfect to wear while working out. Check them out. 

http://www.planetbuff.com

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2014

Welcome Sunshower. LOL Ruth you and I are the same, I'm no good in yoga and my mind goes like this 'hmmm wonder what I can have for dinner' ''wish I could twist like that' wonder what's on sale at Target'  'gosh that clock seems to be stopped'Loopy Blessings you are the best cheerleaderWinking Add me to the had to work today but I had to go out and the freeway near my office that leads to the beach was packed like it was the height of summer, thank goodness I was going in the other direction.

Did a Sh'bam class today, new release all new moves, why oh why do I think I'm a 20 something hip hop dancer, cause I hurt in places I didn't know I hadShocked

• lilacblue
    edited January 2014

Warrior Woman, better  power bars than the HRT I took for years that loved to mainline feed my BCSinging, Ruth yoga is not for everyone and Zumba is fun. I want to try piloxing, a fusion of pilates, boxing and dance.  Annie L., I was at my wits end with frozen shoulder (that developed as a result of 1st. surgery) and it was my PT who gave up sent me to a ortho - that made all the difference.  Sunshower, hope your daughter feels better quick and a head warming solution that works for you.

I'm off to spend the morning at the Oncology Centre with DH to have his PET Scan.  On the 29th he has surgery to have his peg removed.  DH is so tired, sleeps poorly, very thin and nearly fully back mentally and keeps on trudging.  I met a new member at the gym - a woman who had laryngeal cancer.  She is now almost 3 years out from active treatment and she confirmed how difficult and life impacting throat cancer treatment is.  Hope to run when we get home if the weather is clear - meaning no rain or strong wind. 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited January 2014

Fingers crossed on DH's PET and surgery, LilacBlue. I could get into that piloxing, too.

I've been really lazy. One Zumba instructor left, the other is gone for 6 weeks, and my BJ instructor was sick. I don't like substitutes in general so I had to find a reason to get to the gym.  I signed up for a free personal training session. It was actually only 10 minutes of personal training and the rest of the time was filling out a questionnaire (omitting any mention of bc) and taking my statistics. In the end I did get a good program I could do on my own when I do get to the gym. It was nice to know my body fat % is excellent and muscle % is high for my age. I do wonder if the prosthesis I was wearing counts as fat, muscle or water.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2014

Blessings, your 'almost getting dressed but it was a false alarm' comment gave me my first giggle of the day.  I hope today is better. 

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

Y'all are too awesome for words!  Seems like every time I check in lately there's so much to read and I don't have time to compose a good response to everyone.

However......Heidihill - I'm interested in this BJ  instructor you mentioned.  My mind immediately goes to the gutter when I hear or read 'BJ' so I find myself thinking 'They actually have instructors for that????!!!'..............lol!

3.25 miles on the treadmill, lower back and ab work and stretching for me this morning.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

OK, now I have just spit coffee out of my nose! Too funny!!! I should know not to drink and read at the same time!

Hurray! I didn't get called to sub today, so it's off to Core and Pilates. We are in Polar Vortex II and it's supposed to start snowing later in the day, so I foresee some cold Sculpt & Shovel in my future.

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

AnnieLane - I bookmarked Buffs.  I like that style!

Does driving to the gym and turning around because the roads are getting too snowy count for anything?  I guess I'll do my housecleaning aerobics.  

• lilacblue
    edited January 2014

Oh S&S... and Heidihill I'll report back on piloxing when I get to it.  Natsfan, how is you DH doing?  I do feel for those of you dealing with the heavy snow and ice and amazed we have yet to have our 1st. snowfall.

Ran a 5.95k  in the icy sunshine and thankfully no wind.ThumbsUp

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2014

My mind went to the same place, and I think it's the guy who gets you attuned to the fine points of that particular talent.

Lilacblue.....hoping all goes well with your DH.  He is quite the trooper.

I am so tired.  My "few hours" project for the weekend turned out to be more like 24!  I was working on three things simultaneously yesterday.  I did get in a run though.  And I can't bill for a lot of this.  However, I am thrilled for the work.

Off to the nonprofit.  I am behind on the move cleanout.  Will try to get home early today so I can do some of this.  Actually, a good thing.

Stay warm.....it's been mild here.  I would love some snow and good skiing.  Here's hoping that doesn't happen the weekend of the move, as you can probably guess what "ridge" means. - Claire

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,858
    edited January 2014

You guys are a hoot!! I will never think of BodyJam in the same way from now on.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669
    edited January 2014

lmao right now......BodyJam......hahahahahaha.....omg!

Ruth - also chuckling about you expelling coffee from your nose!

I love this group SillyHeart

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Warrior, here is something about soy I found in the 'Ask the Experts' section of BCO:

Last modified on September 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Question fromCarolC: I have had estrogen-positive breast cancer and must avoid phytoestrogens found in soy, flaxseed and oil of evening primrose. How much of a risk is there in eating foods with soy or flaxseed in them? Almost everything "lite" contains soybean oil or soy lecithin. Everything has soy lecithin or soybean oil in it that I purchase. I take Arimidex daily.
    Answers -Beth Baughman DuPree, M.D., F.A.C.S. Unless you are adopting a diet that is so heavily weighted in soy products, I do not believe that you need to worry about the tiny fine print on foods that you are purchasing to eat. The phytoestrogens that are found in soy can have estrogenic effects in the body, but unless you are eating a diet that is so heavily loaded with soy products and soy milk and tofu, etc., I do not think you need to worry about the soy bean oil and lecithin found in the fine print of some of the processed foods. I do not believe that women that have been diagnosed with breast cancer should change their diet to increase the amount of soy in their diet, as the studies involving soy in the diet are very conflicting. Therefore I would not change my diet to increase the soy thinking that you're adding a benefit. But I also would not avoid products in your diet that have soy or lecithin as such minor components.

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

RuthBru - Thank you.  I've spent my entire life eating healthy (or so I thought) and exercising.  Then I get BC and I'm told to eat healthy and exercise!  My local cancer center has a dietitian who specializes in this and as the weather clears I'm going to see her.  I want the blood work done and the whole nine yards in order to determine what I should be eating and not eating because at this point I'm not eating any processed foods because surely they contain something that will cause my demise.   

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

When first diagnosed, I threw a shoe at the TV when a newscaster announced that women who exercise have a decreased risk for BC, and, after a chemo session, had to restrain the urge to ram the car of a really fat woman who was eating a Big Mac, smoking a cigarette (and probably had a beer between her knees), I was so pissed! But........really, don't beat yourself up over it. In the end, food plays a really minor part of the whole picture (if it all). It's mostly that you need to keep your body weight in a normal range & exercise.....those are important, the rest, not so much. Plus, seriously, if I am going to be alive, I want to be able to enjoy food.... I just try to eat more of the good stuff than the bad (she says after eating a grilled cheese sandwich).

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2014

Thanks, Odie!

Cheryl – you ARE a 20-something hip hop dancer!!!

LilacBlue – hugs to you, and all good wishes for your DH.

Heidihill – congrats on the nice stats!

Thanks, Marple!

Sweetandspecial – you naughty girl! I thought the same thing…

Ruth – did you spit the coffee on your keyboard? Also – stop
    driving behind me!!! FYI, it wasn't a beer between my legs, it was a Super-sized chocolate milkshake. LOL

WarriorWoman – I just noticed your Albert Einstein quote in
    your siggie line!!!

Claire – you are SO the Energizer Bunny!

OHHHHHH…. Body Jam! I get it!

Well, it’s noon, I’ve checked all my online stuff, so I
    guess there’s nothing left to do but get dressed. *SIGH* We’ve had such mild
    weather out here (mid 70s) I finally feel guilty for not even going for a walk.
    Will try that after lunch.

Keep on truckin’, Ladies! You are motivating the rest of us! ThumbsUp

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2014

Today's exercise:

Sitting in the car in 3 degree weather for 1 1/2 hours while DD is in choir and seeing how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. 

Ugh. Tomorrow is Weigh In Wednesday AND my 48th birthday. Which, technically, should be the "new 28" right?? Whatever!!! I earned every one of them! 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2014

Happy Birthday, Dulci! (How many licks did it take?)

Blessings, LOL! Take that walk for the rest of us poor things who are shivering in the Polar Vortex!!!!!

Did my classes & some shoveling, although if the wind comes up, it will drift right back in. (I should say 'when' because in ND wind is a given.)