Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2010

Ooo, ooo - ballpark fireworks!!  One of the delights of summer.  Sssssssssssss, BOOM, ahhhhhhhhhhhh!  Laughing Mum - Niagra sounds wonderful - have a great time!

Thirty minutes elliptical this morning, then we've spent the day at work clearing out old closets, desks, etc - lots of upper body work carrying and leg work moving stuff.  II'm exhausted! Up to the cabin this weekend so no computer.  Have a great weekend everyone!

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited August 2010

Everyone, please send good thoughts for my SIL... she's been battling ovarian cancer for 6 years (definitely beating the odds as she was stage IIIc when dx), mets showed up a few (2? 3?) years ago, has done well until the last year, fighting with all she can, but just had a Petscan and current chemo isn't working.  She has mets in several places in her bones and maybe lungs and they're growing, when I saw her 6 months ago she looked bad but her attitude was good... Today she's supposed to find out what her options are now, if any.  I hope to be in touch with her or my brother over the next day or two but they may do like they did when she was first dx and withdraw for a  little while.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone and it's breaking my heart. Cancer SUCKS.  Anyway, if you have a minute, send some good thoughts/prayers her way.  Much appreciated.

Mum, have a great time... Ruth, that's the best kind of b-ball, enjoy!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2010

Naturegrrl so sorry about your SIL am sending out  prayers and good thoughts. Its goes very well with exercise.

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited August 2010

NatureGrrl-

Prayers added for your SIL..and for you.  It has to be so hard for you, with your own bc, to watch a loved one struggle.  All of us that stepped through this looking glass into the world of cancer...and it does seem like a looking glass, everything turned upside down, around and the reverse of what we want...all of us know that feeling of true empathy to our brothers and sisters in the world of cancer.

We also know how hard it is for anyone to reach us at times...as much as we have each other, and our loved ones, we all go through being utterly alone.  Regardless of our faith, our loves, our lives, we have to enter alone and work through the pain and suffering in our heads, by ourselves, no matter what.

So that sad thought being said, we all know something else...that it truly works when others pray for us or keep thinking about us.  We found each other on here, right?  We can also find others, like NatureGrrl's SIL.

It isn't fair, it isn't right, it is indeed hearbreaking.  But we are going to be showering you, your brother and your SIL with love...you can count on that.

We are indeed the Tarts and lucky to called such!

XXXXXOOOOO

Kim 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540
    edited August 2010

Just stopping by to echo Kim's beautifully written sentiments. A big hug and prayers to you & your family, Nature. Ruth

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2010

Nature - I feel so badly for your SIL.  Kim said it best for us all.  Prayers to her and all your family.

Everyone has some great plans for the weekend.  We are headed to shore in about an hour.  SO stuck in nasty traffic coming from DC.  I will be spending part of the weekend with my mom at her shore cottage.  She is struggling at 80(a BC survivor though - 30 years!) so will be helping her with a few things - financial and otherwise.  Then planning a nice sail on Sunday.  I biked for 20 miles along the river today and hope to bike at the shore tomorrow and Sunday.  I love that about the shore - so much to do and see.  Have a great weekend - I too will be without computer - sometimes that's a nice feeeling!!  Hugs everyone Kiss

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2010

So got home and came inside so no gym.  But I did change my clothes and came here so going out for a nice walk.

Nature, so sorry for your SIL.  This disease is so hard on everyone - it must stop!!!!!  As my signature says, prayers are going up for your SIL and the whole family.

Later all.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2010

I'm  newbie so I haven't even had my BIMX yet but I like to plan. I do exercise regularly now and I know that going to change. (Doubt I'll be lifting 8lb & 10lb hand weights anytime soon after Aug 31st Wink ) But I was wondering…

I will be doing chemo in the fall winter, I live in Chicago (cold winter) and this will also be the start of flu season. Walking outside might not be realistic starting sometime in November. Is going to the gym a no no? I wouldn't shower there but could I used the elliptical or treadmill?

Does this all depend on my white count? I assume I wouldn't be able to go within 2-3 days of chemo treatments anyway because I shouldn't be spreading chemo drugs on the equipment (although I would wipe it down).

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010

thanks, all... I'm moved nearly to tears by your responses.  Kim, thank you. I know the rest of you feel the same, and I appreciate it.  Amazing, as always, that love and support come from people I've never met.

No news yet from TX.  I plan to call tomorrow.

bobcat, I love to sail -- enjoy!!

lago, I don't feel qualified to answer you, but I know I was told during treatment and low WBC's to just live my life, with simple precautions.    I would hope that going to the gym wouldn't be a problem but again, I'd rather others who have more experience answer you... but worst comes to worst, you can always use DVD's and keep going that way.  You are amazing for putting exercise at such a priority so early after dx. FWIW, I went out in the cold (Indiana) for walks during my treatment with no harm from the cold.  I dressed for it, and the time in nature did me more good than sitting at  home.  Big hug.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited August 2010

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to this thread but I've been reading it for a while.  I had a DMX in February and just had my exchange surgery for implants two weeks ago today.  When I saw my PS five days out from the exchange, she told me that at two weeks, it would be OK to walk.

I was an avid exerciser before all of this started and I'm a little concerned that I'm going to be limited in what I can do.  But reading about all of you is an inspiration.  I'm encouraged that someone on here ... I can't remember who ...  does BodyCombat.  I did BodyPump 3x a week and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do that ... but I'll have to try BodyCombat once I heal a little more.

Today I walked about half a mile.  It's depressing because I was tired after it ... I was walking 4 miles a day six months ago ... I'm going to get back there.  Thank you all for your inspiration.  :)

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited August 2010

Nature:  I'm so sorry about your SIL.  Let us know.

Kim:  Great post.  We're alone, yet surrounded by sisters.  

Did some dog training this morning, but the ground was uneven, and my knee is killing me now.  I spend the next 2 days at a seminar, and hope sitting will help.  I'm going to take ice and something that will allow me to prop the leg up.

Exercise builds energy.  My various docs and nurses said not to over-extend, but mild to moderate exercise, especially walking, was good even during tx.  Greetings to Illini D-H and Iago.  

• lago
    edited August 2010
    NatureGrrl wrote • • • •

You are amazing for putting exercise at such a priority so early after dx

Thanks NatureGrrl but not really. Like everyone else I freaked out for about 2+ weeks. I would break down and cry like I never had done before in my life. The entire time thinking "How awful it would be to suffer from depression all the time" The past weekor so I've been great. Remember they haven't done anything to me yet. I still feel and look great! This is why I am trying to think about everything now. Plan while your head is clear.

So tomorrow I will do my 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill (about 7.5 miles) I do this anywhere from 3-4 5 times a week. I also do strength training at home with 5,8 and 10 lb hand weights and an exercise ball 2-3 times a week for 1.5 hours each time.

It should be interesting what I will/can do once the "drug," "radiate" and insert booby expanders.  I know I sound like I love to exercise but I don't. I just love the way I feel when it's done! Seriously I have so much more engergy the days I work out. Right now even at 49 I have a slight six pack from all those crunches (and a tiny pot below it). Guess I'll be needing those abs in a few weeks to pick myself out of bed after the Bilater MX Wink

• patoo
    edited August 2010

I  logged 3.35 miles today but had to cut it short because a friend called and reminded me that I was going out with them this evening.  Saw local presentation play in the park of "High School Musical".  It was fun and well done.

Welcome my new sisters.  Very motivating thread.  Can't really answer you about when/what/how much exercise you can do following a med procedure but I do know that you will be able to get back to it sooner and work up to your new maximum a lot sooner than others who did not exercise before dx.  So take it easy and don't rush it.  You will get back and enjoy it again but not if you push too soon - so take it easy.

Now it's way past my bedtime so I bid you all a good night.

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2010

Sorry I have been out for a few days, Computer is being slow and silly. Frown

anyway on thursday I swapped the gym for a lovely day out with DD at the local country park, and we did real rowing - overgrown bathtubs in the pond - (a lot of fun, made me appreciate how easy the static thing at the gym is!) and a beautiful riverside walk, with an assault course designed for active eight year olds which was enormous fun and quite challenging! The real children there were giving us some very strange looks... back to the gym yesterday. I survived my first full week at work and I do think the exercising has helped keep my energy levels up - or at least when I'm pooped at least I know why!

Till i get the PC fixed I'm likely to be on-and-off-line for a while, but I will be thinking of you Tarty sisters, don't go slacking! Speaking of slacks, my tight jeans are finally getting loose...Laughing.

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010

hymil, it's good for children to see adults having fun!  And hurrah for your looser jeans! Keep up the good work! 

It was upper 60's for my woods walk this morning but 97% humidity, a little like breathing water but still pleasant enough. I must say, as much as I love the many sounds of nature, I get so blasted sick of hearing cicadas, it's just incessant, and I think I associate the sound with the heat of August.   It was all I could hear in the wood this morning, but being out in the woods and seeing the end-of-summer wildflowers along the edges more than made up for it.

Enjoy the weekend., everyone.

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited August 2010

I checked in her once or twice before full of optimism about doing more exercise. It didn't happen and I continue to get fat around the middle! I've gone back to binging on chocolate and other sweet stuff too. I did pull out my bike two weeks ago and have taken some short cycles. But this is not enough to counteract the high-calorie diet. I'm not good in the heat, if it's above 80C, I won't walk or cycle. And most days it is too hot for me.Yes, I know I shouln't use that as an excuse -- I could use a DVD or something as so many of you do to work out to indoors. 

Maybe someone can advise me on a bike helmet. One isn't required by law in NY, but another cyclist yelled at me this morning, he just pointed to his head and shouted "helmet!" I was just wearing a cotton hat. Are there helmets that don't make your head feel terribly hot?

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010

Hi Everybody! Had a great night at the ballpark (although the home team lost due to an error by the 2nd baseman, who seemed to have fallen asleep during the 8th inning); a beautiful night, fun visiting with our friends, a great fireworks show and a lovely chili/cheese dog Tongue out.......today I woke up to the same 97% humidity as Nature. Walked for half an hour before the steam rising from the ground forced me back inside where I did 30 minutes FIRM Sculpting DVD.

MaryNY, I'm sure a biker will chime in with helmet advice, but make a commitment to do something every day......there are tons of good DVDs or even walking in place or doing sit ups while watching TV are a start. We will send the VOICES out after you if you don't!!! Wink

Lago and Dawn, welcome. I have been reading some studies that are showing exercise during active treatment actually makes your treatment more effective, and you are less likely to have SE. While I am not sure about that, I do FOR SURE know that going into this in experience in good shape, and staying active to the degree you are able, will help you to BOUNCE BACK a whole lot quicker than people who are sedentary....plus it really reduces your chance of reoccurence!

Dawn, Cheryl is our "Body Combat/Pump/Zumba/You Name It, She Does IT" QUEEN, so she can give you specific advice on that, but I do not doubt that you will eventually be able to get back into whatever you enjoy!!!

Lego, you can do whatever exercises you feel up to doing chemo. When I was diagnosed, I came across a great book called, " Breast Cancer- Real Questions, Real Answers" by Dr. David Chan.

Here is his answer to the question, "May I go to the gym while on chemotherapy?"

"Yes, for the same reason that you can go to work, eat at restaurants, hug friends, and pet your dog.  Chemotherapy-related infections are due to low white blood counts and result from bacteria you already have on or within your body. It's reasonable to try to avoid getting colds, as it will just make you feel worse, but a cold shouldn't be dangerous. Follow common sense guidelines of washing your hands after working out and before eating or touching your face and you will lower your chances of getting a cold. You may be tired on chemotherapy and if so, you should consider doing a lighter workout, but fatigue will not be harmful to you."

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Okay MaryNY, I'm going to scold (just a little; take with lots of love).  We didn't ask for this BC beast so have to fight it with what we have (exercise) but we do have control over hitting a crack, rock, whatever, and falling off our bike and hitting our head.  So go to a bike shop and try on different helmets and buy one.  It may be hot but only for a little while (as you ride) and the AC will feel so good when you get back home and you will feel good that you got out.

No more soapbox.  Took the 3 girls out today, ages 3,5 8, and that was a workout.  Good thing I took along a friend as we needed more than my 2 eyes.  Had fun although did not log much on the pedometer.  So, right now I'm going to break and go out to walk.  Back later.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2010

Nature, Kim said it so eloquently for all of us and I am adding your SIL to my prayers and remember we are all here for you (((HUG))).  Ruth your evening sounds like it was so much fun, yummo on the chili dogs.  Mum, you Canadians are so lucky to be able to get together, and I just love the name "Niagara on the Lake" it really sounds like a beautiful place, hope you all had fun.

Dawne, I'm the Combater, Stepper and Pumper but I'm almost two years down the road from you and I didn't have reconstruction, I know how frustrating it is when you have been able to do things and it changes but you have a great foundation and it will return you just start out easy and build back up that being said Combat was the only thing I was afraid of after my surgery but I tried it and I am sooooo addicted, it is absolutely my favorite class, it takes about 5 classes because you feel so uncoordinated but once you get it kapowLaughing.  MaryNY, I'm going to scold you as well - one of my neighbors is a die hard 60 miles on a Saturday rider - he was knocked off his bike and if not for the helmet he would have been killed, as it was he was months recovering so get a helmet even if it is uncomfortable and hot, but I'd go to a bike shop as they can expertly fit you.  Sounds like you had fun with the girls Patoo, I'd be sitting with my feet up instead you go out for a walk!!!

Well this morning I did my Body Combat class oh my, it was one of those days - my knees hurt, my back ached and my arm where I got the tetanus shot the other day is as sore as heck but hey I muddled though the hour.

• MaryNY
    edited August 2010

OK, girls I'm listening! I'll get a bike helmet. You all sound so busy with so many various activities. Ruth, I  have heard that exercise reduces the odds of recurrence, but somehow it hasn't sunk in to my thick skull.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010

This is from 'Medical News Today', part of an article from Sept. 2009......40% sounds pretty good to me!!

"Recurrence rates and deaths from breast cancer decreased by 40 percent among those who exercise at least 3-5 hours per week, compared with those who were sedentary," Kaelin added. "It does not need to be running a marathon, or biking a century, but rather simply walking briskly most days on a treadmill, at a shopping mall or around a track, that further reduces breast cancer recurrence for those who have been treated for the condition. For all women, in addition to physical activity helping to optimize body weight and reduce high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, scientific research is more strongly pointing to the positive effects of cardio-vascular exercise in reducing breast cancer risk and the risks of other forms of cancer, too."

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2010

Will only be exercising our mouths today.The Canadian BCO girls are gathering today in Niagra.Should be fun I am bad i baked cookies for the ladies.YUM

• lago
    edited August 2010

ruthbru, Just to add to your post.

The reason (or part of the reason) I believe exercise reduces risk by 40% is that it reduces your weight. Fat is supposed to produce estrogen especially in those post menopause (once the ovaries don't do it the fat will. This is why many of gain in weight after menopause that we can't get rid of).

Do a google search "fat, estrogen" and you'll see what I mean.

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010

Question:  I understand the fat/weight/estrogen connection... but when I hear things about reduced risk with exercise I wonder if that includes all kinds of breast cancer -- or just the estrogen-positive ones -- I mean, the lower levels of estrogen shouldn't have any effect if you're ER-, right? So I always wonder exactly who's included in those statistics, and/or if it's more than just lower estrogen that helps improve your odds.  Inquiring minds and all that Smile

Question aside, I appreciate your post, Ruth; I read it, turned off my laptop, and went for a 45 minute walk before it gets hot!! I know exercise helps on many levels but for some reason seeing your post was great motivation for me!

The best part of my walk was hearing a coyote howl (in response to an ambulance).  I know they're around but the area around the woods where I walk is fairly heavily developed and seeing/hearing larger wildlife is always a pleasant surprise.  I also got scolded by one of those little red squirrels -- the ones that are so tiny that the adults look like baby squirrels.  Too cute.

No word from SIL yet, no posts on her blog.  I'll call them later today if one of them doesn't get in touch.  I hate to be intrusive if they're having a difficult time but I also want them to know I care.

Stay cool, and enjoy the day!

• MaryNY
    edited August 2010

Thanks Ruth and Iago. 40% reduction is nothing to be scoffed at. I will think of that next time I reach for the ice-cream.

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2010

Nature - my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your SIL. 

I'm home for the weekend, after my first week of rads.  It's good to be home, except Dh invited MIL out and I am so tired.  I slept almost all day yesterday - something is wrong with this picture - lol.

Anyway - I didn't get my daily treadmill in yesterday due to fatigue, but am going to hop on the machine here pretty quickly.  I looks like I actually lost a couple pounds - strange - especially since I started  tamoxifen last Tuesday. I sure hope that continues though!

Anywho - have a great weekend everyone!

• lago
    edited August 2010
    NatureGrrl
    Just because someone has ER- the first time does it mean that if one were to get it again it would remain ER-. Just a thought. I don't know the answer to that.
  • NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010

lago, I don't know about that... I always figured what you had would remain the same in that regard but I don't know.  Maybe someone else can help answer that?

My SIL called and she's OK.... she still has options, although not many; her cancer is a slow-growing one, so she has time to try at least one more chemo;  if that doesn't work she'll move to the "second line" of defense drugs; she's going to get radiation to her hip to slow the growth there? or something?  she said it wouldn't kill the tumor but was necessary to save the bone... the cancer is in her bones, lymph nodes, and they think maybe a spot on her lungs, but no vital organs are involved, so although her news isn't great,  she does still have options and figures she can keep doing this for "years."  She calls herself the Energizer Bunny, not because she has so much energy, but because she keeps going and going... The drs. told her she won't ever get rid of the cancer but may be able to stop it's growth, so that's her goal. 

I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, I spent awhile crying last night over this awful disease, but at least my SIL still has a good attitude and they're going ahead with plans to go to Scotland in 3 weeks.  Thank you for your support.

IsThis, IMHO, you're doing the right thing:  listening to your body and giving it what it needs.  I took a LOT of naps during radiation, the fatigue can be frustrating but it's sure normal.  Take gentle care of yourself!

Happy Sunday, and a warm hug, everyone!

edited to add:  I'm so tired of cancer anything right now... I've been avoiding most forums on the boards because I get so overwhelmed... first my SIL was dx, then a few years later my mom, then a few years after that, me... too much cancer in one family, blood relatives or not.  Now even the titles of some of the threads depresses me.  This is one of the few threads that I can look at right now.  Thank y'all for being here!!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010

Nature, glad your SIL has a fighting spirit; the same as my friend, who is upbeat and matter-of-fact....wow, some amazing, strong women. Yes, stay away from the bad/sad/negative forums. I think some of them can do more harm than good (and others, no doubt, are very helpful to people in their particular circumstances). Check out some of the fun and games sites; I am usually here (my "HOME BASE" Kiss) or Coping with Arimidex, or the games.... and that is it, otherwise it is not healthy for me emotionally.

As far as the exercise benefits in the article I posted. I don't know the specifics of the study, and I imagine that the 'exercise reduces estrogen' angle would be a special benefit to estrogen positive ladies, but here is something from the BCO archives that should be an encouragement to all:

"Regular, moderate intensity exercise helped lower breast cancer risk no matter a woman's weight, family history of breast cancer, or menopausal status. In short, just about every woman can lower her breast cancer risk by regularly exercising at moderate intensity."

• MaryNY
    edited August 2010

Nature: sorry to hear about all your family is going through. I know what you mean about the thread titles being depressing. I have marked certain threads as favorites and rarely go beyond those.

Ruth: thank you for that quote! That led me to the article itself - Physical activity may lower breast cancer risk. I also like this quote:

Women in their 50s who regularly exercised more after age 50 than they did before age 50 were 34%-41% less likely to develop breast cancer compared to women who didn't exercise more after age 50. 

I went for a 40 minute bike ride this morning. I left it too late, so it was already quite hot. I had something to eat when I came back, then sprawled on the sofa as I felt tired. I fell asleep and slept for two hours. I plan to go mall-walking now as it's too hot to walk outdoors.