Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sherry - Please send some my way.

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited September 2011
    Options

Jo- i am not too far from you so i am surprised that you havent gotten any, after i posted i went outside to wash (live in apts) and it was drizzling again! Its so awesome cuz we NEED it!

I bet some of the ranches are doing like they are here and selling off their cattle cuz its been such a dry year there isnt any food for 'em. I know a few ppl that have had to sell livestock :(

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

Timothea - It seems once the rain gets past Edinburg it dies off and goes away.  There was some rain close a little while ago but once again it faded away.  I think McAllen got some and that is about 12 miles west of us.

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sagina, sorry, I just saw your post!  I'm afraid San Antonio is a bit far for me.  But, I will be with you all in spirit!  I plan to live vicariously through those of you who go and pretend I am there, too!  I will make this one of my favorites in case there is a get together in a location nearer me in the future.  Someone please eat some canneloni for me.

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

pscheer1 - Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

I am in deep South Texas about 250 miles south of San Antonio.

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011
    Options

Bacliff, TX and work in Galveston, TX.  It's southeast of Houston, about 25 miles and 25 more to Galveston.

How do I add a statement above my DX?  Just now figured out how to add a photo!  Just realized I looked better in my hairless photo than I do now.  Boohoo.

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited September 2011
    Options

I am also in the DFW area, kinda Garland, Rockwall, Rowlett triangle. If anyone is I terested in a get together in this area let me know, maybe we could figure something out.

becca

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited September 2011
    Options

Timothea we have had lots of ranchers here have to sell off a large portion of their cattle.  Just not enough to eat and too expensive to feed them.

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

And and what we're getting here isnt good quality hay either, so its expensive and totally not worth it. I heard on the radio station klove that there was a group of ranchers/farmers in Louisianna that had surplus grass and somehow got it over to ppl in tx- i think the person that started it had something like 100 or maybe more rolls- not the small bales, but the large rolls of it and just brought it over here for free. Not sure whom got the hay, but i am glad there are still good people in this world

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

BTW do any of you think the mom (blonde one) from modern family is a bit too skinny? i wanna throw a sandwhich at her LOL

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

I've never watched that show. Maybe I'll check her out and let you know.

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

Its getting closer! And I am not sure how many of you are aware of the traveling pants for stage 4 women, but I got the pants and am going to bring them!!!!

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

One week from tomorrow I leave for Sherry's house.  I am so excited I can hardly stand it.  Can't wait to see all you Texas ladies.

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

I am excited as well.  Can't wait to see everyone. So excited you got the pants Texasrose. 

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sherry - This time next week, I will be getting close to your house - can't wait.

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

I know jo I'm so excited.  I talked to one of my high school girlfriends and she is coming in for our town celebration so she may drop by Friday evening and have some wine with us.

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sherry - I say the more the merrier!!!

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

So to clarify whats the scheduled events lookin like ;) LOL

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Texasrose - I just sent Gina a PM - asked if she would post something here so keep checking back.
  • sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi everyone.  Other than lunch on Saturday at the Spaghetti Warehouse we don't have anything written in stone....but as Jo suggested to me....a boat ride on the river would be neat.  Rivercenter mall is a long walk away from the restaurant, but it has an attached parking garage.  The DIY network is having a Home and Garden show at the Alamo Dome and should have ample parking for that over there, so the parking garages should be fine to park in.  Parking downtown runs from $5 to $15. 

The boat ride is about 45 minutes long, leaves from the mall - the mall has a lagoon in it -

$8.25 - General Admission
    $6.00 - Bexar County Residents
    $2.00 - Children (1-5 years)
    $6.00 - Senior Citizens (60 & older) & United States Military

After the boat ride, the Alamo is within walking distance from the mall (that sounds funny!) and across from the Alamo is a main street with the wax museum (pricey), Ripley's believe it or not (pricey), and lots of local gift shops.  Directly across from the Alamo is river walk access, great for photos etc. Right in Alamo plaza is the visitor center, maps of downtown, trolley tours, double decker bus tour (I haven't seen that bus around), etc.

I wasn't sure how much ChrissyB would want to do that day, but with all the activities within a few mile radius, the options are almost endless.  I will be picking up Chrissy that day and bringing her to the restaurant.  I am having a strange skin sensitivity to heat and sun from chemo - as soon as I get warm I can't stop itching, so I am afraid I will have to part ways with you all at some point when the activities move to the beautiful streets of downtown.  there is soooo much to see.  So excited to meet you all!

Who will be in on Friday evening? 

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

I have never done the boat ride that would be fun!

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

We could go back to RiverCenter Mall after the boat ride.  It has lots of neat shops along with some of the usual ones.  That way we will be inside more.  How could turn down some retail therapy?

Gina - I will be at Sherry's on Friday night.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sherry - Four days and counting - oops!  I'm not counting - LOL! 

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

If the boatride is close to the Alamo Chrissy would probably enjoy seeing it. So much history there. But the mall sounds great as well.

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

If the boatride is close to the Alamo Chrissy would probably enjoy seeing it. So much history there. But the mall sounds great as well.

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

Yeah the Alamo is on the same block as the mall... which the river is connected to as well. Its neat how the river flows from under the mall.

Another good option would be the Japaneese tea gardens- they have it filled with water now (for years they didnt) its just north of downtown.

I will be in town friday night, a night time boat ride is always enjoyable- but day time too- just a suggestion

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

I am flexible - I used to live in San Antonio for 10 years so I know what is downtown.  Just can't wait to see everyone.

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

It just hit me - Chrissy will be arriving in San Antonio today.  She will be at the Holiday Inn Airport. The address is 77 NE Loop 410 and the phone number is:  210-349-9900

• texasrose361
    edited September 2011
    Options

Is anyone hanging out with her tonight or tomorrow?

• Sherryc
    edited September 2011
    Options

Not that I know of and I feel bad but I live a little over an hour away and I have to work.  I've been off too much for Doctor appts to take any additional time off

• jo1955
    edited September 2011
    Options

I feel bad too.  I was the one who told her to come to San Antonio if she wanted to see Texas.  I live 5 hours away - much too far for me.