Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Comments

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited June 2012

Shout out to Texasrose -- I was realizing today it's already been a year since we picnicked at the national seashore!  I'd love to do that again if you're interested.  I was going to send a pm, but decided to just post it here instead.  Anyone else want a picnic on the beach? 

• Trinity0723
    Trinity0723 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

I am in Texas. Yay. :) I live south of fort worth area in Crowley. I was just diagnosed and don't have all the patho stuff yet. I go see surgeon in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering, I haven't freaked out yet. Everybody around me is, but I'm just not there yet. I'm assuming I will eventually, but I don't think others, especially my SO appreciate my lack of concern.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited June 2012

Trinity - I did not freak out for quite some time.  I was so numb from the news.  I had a lumpectomy 10 days after my diagnosis and two weeks after that was having a Mammosite catheter inserted for internal radiation and had a major meltdown (crying spell) in my surgeon's office.  I think that is when it hit me.  After that I had bouts of depression and some small crying spells but overall decided that I had to get through this.  I worked the whole time I was in treatment and I think that really helped.  I also have to admit that I am on several threads on BCO and the ladies here have been my lifeline to sanity.  You will not meet a better bunch of ladies than here.  We "get" all this.  When friends and family can't understand why you are not moving on - come here and vent, rant, rave, or for a good laugh.  This is the place to do it.

• Trinity0723
    Trinity0723 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

Thank you so much Jo. I am loving these boards.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited June 2012

Hi Trinity!  I cried the first couple of days really just scared from the unknown.  Then I figured it is what it is, I can't change it, so lets get a plan of action and get to it.  Don't think you have to do something because that's what expected....handle this the way you need to handle it for you!

Would you kindly keep us posted here?  Many of us have actually gotten to meet each other, and the bonds of friendship are even greater that way.  We'll take care of you here.  Between us all, we've probably been their done that and wrote the book.  

• Cherilynn64
    Cherilynn64 Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Sorry to have to say Welcome Aboard Trinity since none of us want to be here, but glad you found us and keep us posted! I'm a Dallas native and haven't lived there in decades but plan on moving back to somewhere in TX hopefully by the end of the year and hence why I'm on this thread now. The ladies in here are awesome, as Texans always are :-)

Cheri 

• jo1955
    edited June 2012

If anyone is interested, I am meeting Timothea for lunch on June 27th @ 12:30 in Falfurrias. Send me a PM and I can let you know where we are meeting.  Can't wait.

• damiana9
    damiana9 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2012

Hello, I am still waiting biopsy results but the doctor that did my ultrasound wasn't happy with what she saw.    Of course now I am just killing time trying not to lose my mind.  I am trying to do as much research as I can, so that I can be ready for 'whatever'.  I am thinking that regardless of what my lump is, it will need removed.  I don't know who the good doctors in Fort Worth are and hoping some of you can help!   My mammogram/us was at Harris Methodist downtown FW, as will my biopsy tomorrow.  I had very bad post surgical care at Harris a year ago and that hospital just gives me a bad feeling.  Baylor on the other hand is newer/cleaner/ and just gives off more of a warm fuzzy vibe I guess.  Do any of you have thoughts on either of these hospitals/doctors?    If Baylor would be my best choice I want to go to my appt prepared so that Harris doesn't try to rope me into making sugical appointments just because I don't know any better. 

Any info will be much appreciated!

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2012

I live in the DFW area and had my surgery at Medical City Dallas earlier this year.  Dr. Alison Laidley was my BS.  Cannot say I loved the hospital as the pain management was less humane.  Would love to find a support group that meets in this area.  I am still waiting to do Phase II and Phase III and am decided whether to go to NOLA for better results and treatment. 

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited June 2012

Damiana - I have nothing but GOOD things to say about the Kupferle Breast Center.  Dr. Lori May-Malone if she is the one doing your biopsy is wonderful, caring.  I had a repeat mammogram then a sono for a suspicious area no one ever felt (her, me, BS) and she arranged a biopsy within 2 hours.  Not that it was that urgent but I was there, so was she and it would be another week before it could all be arranged again.  Very straightforward about her concerns.  When she called me 2 days later with the BC news she told my I was taking it very well.  Well, she had me prepared for it!!

But, I went to Baylor All Saints for surgery.  My gynecologist set that up.  Dr. Anita Chow.  Competent, kinda cool,  a little distant.  Not a huggy/feely doctor but I trust her and she did just what I wanted done and it came out as good as it could have.  If I ever need more surgery, she will be the one to do it.  Laid out the facts.  Both hospitals have breast health navigators.  Sherree Bennett at Baylor is great.  I can't remember the one at Harris.  She was great too, but I did not want to take up their resources when I knew I was going to Baylor.  Both BC survivors.  Friends have used Dr. Bussey.  You will probably be given her name, too.  Another Dr. at Harris is Robin Skriene (?sp).  Don't know much about her.  One friend even used a general surgeon at Harris; a general surg. would not be my choice for this surgery.  PM me if you want.  I have never used PM so it might take me a while to figure it out. Not home during the day to respond.  Will be on for a little while tonight.  Best wishes for tomorrow.  Hope for B9 but I am very thankful if I had to have BC at least we have treatments now that we didn't have 20 even 10 years ago.  Don't even let me get started on Texas Oncology.  Just finished rads 5/23. Not that I had a bad experience; again thankful tx is available.

But again I loved Dr. Malone and praise the Lord every day that she saw that susp. area.  And it was not there the year before.  They will only suggest doctors and at least now you have some names when/if (maybe never) they start throwing them out at you.  I get to go see her next month for my 6 month followup.  Looking forward to hearing from you that she is still there!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited June 2012

Trinity and damiana9 welcome to the thread but hate you gals are joining us.  Hopefully you will find all the info you are looking for.

grt42btexan I see you are looking to go to NOLA.  If you have not checked out PRMA in San Antonio they are a wonderful group of microsugical plastic surgions that specialized in breast reconstruction and they do all the flap surgeries.  I am using Dr. Ledoux and I have been really happy with him.  I really felt that he was honest in want could be done for me.  I had already had radiation and am very thin.  There are 6 surgeons and you can google their website.  I have never heard anything bad about any of the PS's there only praises.

• damiana9
    edited June 2012

Luvmygoats- thank you- I love you!! I feel so much better having some names of people- makes me fee less lost.  It WAS Dr. Malone that did my ultrasound last friday, as well as my biopsy today.  She is really wonderful.  I asked her what she thought of Dr Chow, since that is who you went to- and she said that Dr Chow is wonderful.  She did give me some other names, I think they are the same doctors you mentioned.  She was also honest with me about her feelings of the lump- she said that the shape that it is, just isn't something she sees unless it is something 'bad'.  I will find out Wednesday for sure.  Thank you again for the information, I will probably pm you to ask more questions.

• sagina
    edited June 2012

Damiana9~please stay with us with updates....I'm afraid that at certain times they truly known what they are looking at. I had a mammo/us on a Thursday and the biopsy the next day on peoples lunch break....it is what it is at this point, and that's not a comfort, but we are here for you.  Ask away, between us all surely we can help. Prayers to you that you don't have to join this group other than for fun.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited June 2012

Damiana - Sorry.  I read your reply earlier but spent ALL evening doing online paperwork.  Just finished and writing a reply and off to bed.  Isn't Dr. Malone the greatest?  She had the same suspicions about my lump, taller than wider, spider like extensions, can't remember what else.  She works alternate days for a breast surgeon out of Denton.  I think in Ft. Worth only Monday/Wed/Friday.

Dr. Chow is over at the new office bldg. at All Saints.  Corner of 8th Avenue and Magnolia.   First floor kinda behind Solis which is the mammogram center over there.  Very nice office staff, too.

PM me if you want but tomorrow night's paperwork could be even worse.  Oh the joys of dealing with Medicare and their requirements.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    edited June 2012

Damiana, I am glad you got a direction on who to see in FTW.  I am in No Dallas, (Frisco, Plano, McKinney area) and we have some great Dr. here.  Keep us updated.

I hope everyone is doing well, the heat is tolerable so far with all the blessed rain we have had. 

• damiana9
    edited June 2012

Looks like I am here to stay :-/

It was confirmed today that I have ductal carcinoma.  That is all I know right now.   I have an appt with Dr. Chow (thank you Luvmygoats for the recommendation) on July 11.  I don't know how I will possibly wait until the 11th.  it's gonna kill me.  I am handling it all much better than I though.

• Sherryc
    edited June 2012

damiana9 so sorry your test turned out positive.  We are here to support you so please keep us posted.

• Cherilynn64
    edited June 2012

Damiana, I am sorry you have to join us. And we ALL know about that WAITING. It is by far the worst part of all of this. Waiting on test results, waiting to meet with the doc, making decisions about treatment, waiting for surgery, etc.....UGH. Once you get a plan and can get moving, you will feel better about the whole process.

Ask any questions, we're here to help.

Cheri 

• sagina
    edited June 2012

Damiana~I completely agree with Cheri, the not knowing is the hardest part.  Know that we are all here talking about it and living through it and will be here for you.  Cancer sucks that's for sure, but it sure brings new friends together FAST!

• Cherilynn64
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies,

I just applied online last night for reciprocity for my pharmacist license to Texas. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to process (government red tape as always). Then I will need to schedule to take the law exam to be able to practice there, but I can take that exam here at specific test centers that I have to locate. My goal is to move there, somewhere, between Dec-Feb. Although if the world is ending on 12/21/12, I want to be back in my home state when it happens, HA!

I am going back and forth between my native Dallas area and San Antonio. I plan on renting a house hopefully for a year or so before settling in somewhere and buying a house. And I have to figure out what to do with my house here. But I'm finally making some actual plans, so I wanted to share since you all have been very helpful as far as listing medical centers, doctors, surgeons, etc.....my dad has two first cousins whose families live in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area which I am not overly fond of....but they have been very supportive of my two situations and one of them I finally told about having both PTSD and cancer (my parents do not know nor most people in my extended family), and I have even toyed with moving there for a year just to have some family support that I have never had. We'll see. Depends on where the jobs are more located, and DFW and San Antonio and Houston are all the best bets. 

Anyways thanks again for letting me sneak in to this group early while I'm still in Arizona Smile  Looking forward to reclaiming my long lost accent, ha!

Cheri 

• Sherryc
    edited June 2012

Cheri so glad your plans are taking shape.  Can't wait to have you back in Texas

• Cherilynn64
    edited June 2012

Thank you fellow Sherry! Smile

Cheri  

• jo1955
    edited June 2012

I am so excited.  I am driving to Falfurrias today to have lunch with Timothea at 12:30.  It is about an hours drive and will be well worth it.  I certainly can use the distraction today.  Waiting to get the call letting me know what time I have to be at the hospital in the morning for another hysteroscopy/D&C.  Had to have one last year.  Tamoxifen is causing this - seems my uterus loves estrogen.  Sheesh!  Give me a break.

• Sherryc
    edited June 2012

Jo give Timothea a hug for me and you gals have fun!!!

• jo1955
    edited June 2012

Sherry - I sure will.

• jo1955
    edited June 2012

Had a wonderful lunch with Timothea today.  She looks fantastic and has such a positive outlook on life.  We could have spent more time together but I had to get home.  Having day surgery early in the morning and I wanted to call for my time to be at the hospital.  She wanted me to tell everyone hello and send hugs out.

• onvacation
    onvacation Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies - just dropping in hoping everyone is staying cool in this HOT weather!

• Cherilynn64
    edited June 2012

Jo, how exciting you all got to meet up! Smile

Kim, it's 110F here in Phoenix every day. When it's 105F every day thats spring and fall. When it's 115F every day that's July. But we don't have the humidity so luckily we don't have a heat index. If it's 115F outside, it feels like 115F. I know that sure ain't true in Texas. You all must be miserable. And I know you had that horrid drout last year. Is the rain situation any better this year?

That humidity is going to take some getting used to again when I move back to Texas. That and daylight savings time! Yikes......I forsee me showing up for work at the wrong time eventually, ha!

Y'all try and stay cool!

Cheri 

• Sherryc
    edited June 2012

Jo so glad you got to have lunch with Timothea she and her kids are such sweethearts

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited June 2012

Cheri so happy to hear that. You are makin plans woman! Moving on! Best wishes for you.

Jo- you're making me blush!!! LOL thanks I enjoyed having lunch with you as well and it def didnt seem long enough!!! GET ONLINE SOON AND LET US KNOW HOW IT ALL WENT!

Cheri- nope still not enough rain here :( oh that was the WEIRDEST thing for me to understand- that y'all dont move your clocks forward, too funny because for half the year my fam would be 2 hours ahead then just one hour LOL i never knew when. it would have been nice if they would have warned us on the new "all the rest of the country moved their clocks today" lol