Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi txmomof2 - Thanks for your reply.  I was taking the Tamox. at night but it did not seem to make a difference.  I am in Denton County.  Is there a good GI doctor that you would prefer to work with?

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited February 2013
    Options

I've also seen on here that some women do better when they change brands of generic because sometimes it is the fillers the mfg uses that bother you & different ones use different fillers

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited February 2013
    Options

chrisrenee77 - I am 2 1/2 years out from diagnosis and I still run across new information on this stupid disease every day.  What a learning experience this has been.  I was oblivious to all of this in the past.  Hum! If only we could turn the clock back and have a different outcome - like NO BC!

• txmomof2
    txmomof2 Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2013
    Options

Carolyn, I really haven't been to a GI dr for years so I don't have any recommendations.  I just know I relied on Immodium a lot!! :)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2013
    Options

Carolyn I have gastritis and boy did tamox get that going.  I was so neaseated and ended up in bed like you.  I called my MO and he had me get off of it and put me on Reglan for a few days then back on tamox with prilosec 2 times a day.  After that I was OK.

• Cherilynn64
    Cherilynn64 Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2013
    Options

Carolyn I'm very similar to your situation as far as lumpectomy and SNB and no lymph node involvement and IDC (I also had DCIS along with IDC). I am 48 and nowhere near menopause based on my bloodwork. I was put on tamoxifen March 1 of last year so I'm about one year out. I have had no side effects other than my period seems to have stopped. I am a native of Dallas but my parents moved us 40 years ago and I just moved back myself in October, so like you I'm new to the area (I'm not new, but man it's grown so crazy here I barely recognize it!).

I have an appt with a new MO next Tuesday right before yours, so I wanted to wish you good luck too!

Couple things - you mentioned you were getting your blood drawn for Oncotype. Did you mean for something else? The Oncotype is run on your cancerous tumor to use as a factor in deiciding about chemo or not. Mine was 11 so my MO said no for me. My ER and PR were near 100% positive so tamoxifen is my best bet. And no, you cannot take an aromatase inhibitor like Femara etc if you are anything but flat out post-menopause. We can only be on tamoxifen. The side effects can be nasty for some and others lucky like me don't get them. I'm a pharmacist so lucklilly I went in to this med knowing all the crap it could do to me - and was amazed and still am that I haven't had one hot flash or anything. I do have some minor leg pain now but it took 9 months to show up and it's more annoying than painful. So I'm still lucky.

Your other option may be to remove your ovaries to go in to menopause and take the aromatase inhibitors, but there's no guarantee you won't have side effects on those as well. My MO who originally treated me was discussing giving me Lupron injections for 2 years which is essentially a chemical hysterctomy. He saves is for women under 40, but as he said based on my bloodwork with estrogen levels, my body thinks it's about 30. So that's what I'm discussing next week at my new MO appt - should I do that or an actualy hysterectomy? I have so much estrogen still pumping out which scares me. 

As far as tamoxifen, most women have the side effects abate after a couple months on it - you mostly hear from women on the threads who are having a lot of side effects. People like me who don't have any don't go and post a lot with "hey I've got nothing happening to me" so keep that in mind. Yours sounds pretty severe though - he may recommend you taking something like prilosec/prevacid for a couple months to see is that eases you through it. But I agree, as bad as your side effects are, it's best to stop it for now.

What was your ER and PR percent?

Cheri in Dallas

• jo1955
    edited February 2013
    Options

Cherilynn - The SEs of the aromatase inhibitors are much worst than Tamoxifen.  They are so much harder on the bones - so much so that it is recommended you get a bone density scan every year. I tried two of the AIs and had to settle for Tamoxifen.  Very few problems with it.  

My ER/PR percentages were both 100%.

• Cherilynn64
    edited February 2013
    Options

Jo, glad tamoxifen worked better for you. It's so individual - some people like us have no problems on it or very few, others it just about kills them. Same with the AIs. I knew women on them in Phoenix at my support group who had been on them for years and not one single problem. Its always a crap shoot, UGH. Glad it works for you too!!!

Cheri

• jo1955
    edited February 2013
    Options

Cheri - Seems everything with treatment is a crap shoot.  We are told to take these drugs for 5 years or 10 years and there are no guarantees when we are finished.  Somedays I wonder if it is all worth it - and others, I think what the heck, go ahead and finish.  All so confusing at times.

• Cherilynn64
    edited February 2013
    Options

Jo I totally agree. I have been having some muscle pains and an issue with my left shoulder and all I think is what's the point, I probably have cancer again. I went to a medical message therapist and she found a lot of issues that felt better after she worked on me. So probably just muscles out of whack, but I think well is this the tamoxifen? Is it cancer again? Drives me crazy. Some days I'm really depressed about it and other days I'm like oh I'm totally fine. But I don't know if all my lifestyle changes are doing any good or not. May never know.

• momtotenkids
    momtotenkids Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2013
    Options

Just wanted to let you all know I met with my new Dr. this week and really like her. I see a radiation therapist Monday. I am feeling a little better. Feel like I am ready to move forward now.

• jo1955
    edited March 2013
    Options

momtotenkids - Glad you like your dr.- that is so important.   You have enough issues to be concerned about.

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Momtoten that's good news, working with the right docs will make all the difference!

Cheri

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

Good Morning Warriors!

Please CLICK the link below OR cut and paste this link into your web browser to see an amazing Flash Mob supporting our cause!  Scroll down a bit when the page opens and watch the video.  Please share as well.  Have a Blessed and Happy Day!

http://support.thebreastcancersite.com/?p=1729

• damiana9
    damiana9 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    Options

This thread used to be really busy, then it just stopped. Helloooooo- is anyone out there?????

• melissadallas
    edited July 2013
    Options

I am!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited July 2013
    Options

Damiana and Melissa - I'm still here.

Damiana - see by your avatar you have hair. Congrats. How's your DIEP recovery going?

Waiting anxiously for 80 something degree weather and serious rain. Got short shower on Thursday. Bring it on though I know people have weekend plans outside.

• melissadallas
    edited July 2013
    Options

I think they should just cancel the weather reports until Mid-September unless there is a more-than-20% chance of rain. Otherwise we know it will be Low 78-90 and High 95-105 for the foreseeable future.

I'm cutting out a quilt today, so good inside project.

• luvmygoats
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm vegging on the couch watching car races, reading old magazines that need to go out.

• melissadallas
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm so proud of myself. I've actually started throwing out magazines, except for Consumer Reports, as soon as I finish looking at them. Of course, I'm not taking any cooking ones right now, so that cut down the accumulation a lot. Kinda wish I hadn't thrown years of Gourmet out some time ago though, but there just isn't anyplace to keep them.

• damiana9
    edited July 2013
    Options

Luvmygoats- I am feeling really good since my Diep :) Glad to be one step closer to done with cancer!

• damiana9
    edited July 2013
    Options

So good to hear from you guys again!

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hey Texas ladies. 

I have been super busy today cleaning house.  Too hot to be outside anyway.

My DD, SIL and 3 grandsons (14, 12, and 8) will be moving in Monday for about 2 weeks until they leave for a new job in Bacu, Azerbaijan. 

I will not be home on Monday while they finish moving in I will be at the MO for my first visit after finishing chemo June 23.  So excited to start the next leg of this journey and get to a finish line.  Still have to decide on surgery and if rads will be needed.

I am glad I will have the family here for a few weeks.  It will be hard saying goodbye for at least 10 months. They will come home for 2 months in the summer.  SIL will be the director of an American international school and DD will teach 3rd grade.  I know I will miss them greatly.

Hope everyone is doing good while you finish healing.  I will keep ya'll in my prayers.

• Cherilynn64
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm here too, just closed on a house in Richardson after looking since March. Market here is TOUGH wow! Moving all this week, big move on Saturday. When are we DFW gals having our next get together? :)

Cheri

• damiana9
    edited July 2013
    Options

Congrats on the house Cheri!!! For me, a get together is easier after school starts back up.

• luvmygoats
    edited July 2013
    Options

I was going to "bump" this yesterday and forgot. Hi Cheri. Wow, you have resettled back in Texas. Richardson huh? How's your job?

Maybe we can get a few more people attracted here. I know CMBernardi is having surgery tomorrow. On another thread with her. So be at least couple of weeks till she's up to a get together.

Jeannine - Howdy. Where is Dayton? I'm NW of Ft. Worth. How did your visit with MO go?

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2013
    Options

Luvmygoats - Dayton is 40 miles east of Houston.

My MO appt was great expects a near or complete response from chemo. 

Have an appt this morning for testing and another appt Monday with the breast team to start planning surgery. One more step in this journey. Smile

Cheri - hope your move this weekend is uneventful.  I know you will be glad to be in your new home.  I love living in Texas of course I have never lived in another state.

My step son, DIL and 5 grandkids live in Plano, as well as, 2 cousin and their families.  Actually, I have family all over Texas, from the Rio Grande Valley to North Texas. 

Looking forward to the weekend.  We will be having a family reunion on my DH's side of the family.  Expecting about 70 people at our beach house.  Several have asked to stay there for the weekend.  I said sure but I will not be playing hostess. Smile They will have to help with setup and cleanup and then they can play.  I think we will have about 16 people staying the night. 

Hubby's new truck is coming in next week and I am ready to go camping/travel some in the near future (probably closer to year end).

Hope everyone is feeling good and stays that way.  I am impatiently waiting to join the finished with active treatment group.   

Bye for now.

• lezza13
    lezza13 Member Posts: 579
    edited August 2013
    Options

Can I join this group. I am in Texas just NE of Ft Worth? Would love to know about the next get together?Smile

• melissadallas
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Lezza. I'm from Denton, so not far from where you are now.

• damiana9
    edited August 2013
    Options

I am also closeby Lezza!