Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• lezza13
    lezza13 Member Posts: 579
    edited August 2013
    Options

MelissaDallas, you are close to me. I am about 25 miles south of you. Nice to know

damiana9  Yes, you are not far away about 30 miles west of me.  Nice to have neighbors.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2013
    Options

I'm in dallas now, but I grew up in Denton. Going up Saturday to see my family.

• lezza13
    edited August 2013
    Options

I live exactly in the middle of Dallas and Denton off 35. Enjoy your time with your family.

• lezza13
    edited August 2013
    Options

MelissaDall-how was your trip to see  your family. We do not live that far from each other if we wanted to do a getotgether.

• lezza13
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hope y'all have a wonderful three day weekend for those of you who have it off!

Lezza

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited September 2013
    Options

Just Dx'd on Tuesday...anyone from the Austin area? Don't have details on DX yet. Have a scan and BRAC today. Meeting with oncs Tuesday. I'm a nervous wreck, no sleep. BS says to be optimistic. She thinks I am at an early Stage. I hope she is right!

• melissadallas
    edited September 2013
    Options
  • keepthefaith
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you Melissa! Greatly appreciated! Have a wonderful week-endSmile

Terri

• 1newhouse
    1newhouse Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

I just moved from the Austin area to Arkansas in July.  I was diagnosed with an Atypical Papilloma from a biopsy in June.  Surgery in July to remove it and discovered LCIS left breast.  I am in such a quandry as to what to do....don't want to take Tamoxofen, BS says options could be to have BLMX or just "keep a watch" on it with subsequent MRI's, Mammos and breast exams.  I am stage 0 with 98percent estrogen and 96percent progesterone homone receptors. I am (a young!) 70 yr old but this is aging me quickly.  Has anyone out there undergone a MX for what they consider "not cancer" but a marker for BC?  And how have they managed afterwards.  I would not consider reconstruction. Thank you in advance for any help.  I've lost lots of sleep over this and feel guilty knowing there are so many of you out there with much worse.  

• Peachygirl
    Peachygirl Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    Options

hey there 1new house,

I totally can relate to you we moved to Dallas from another state and about 6 months later I was diagnosed with DCIS(a non invasive breast cancer)... I opted to have a double mastectomy because at the time an MRI revealed a 8.5cm lump in my right breast and 4 nodes. The treatment for my kind of cancer is surgery and my dr recommended a mastectomy on my right side so i went ahead and did the left side too. I have always had lumpy breasts and I have a family history of women who have had numerous surgeries to remove calcifications and fibrocystic breast tissue so this was a no brainier to me. After the surgery I found out it was only 2.5 cm of DCIS encased in 8cm of fibrocystic breast tissue and calcifications and my nodes came back negative.I still would not change my decision if I had it to do over. Having said that this is not a decision to take lightly. The emotional side of this surgery is much harder than I originally thought it would be and it takes a toll on your body. I'm not sure if I will ever really feel young and vibrant again and I'm only 34!!! You should find out what your real risks are and what you can and can not live with because this decision will be with you forever. Talking to some of the people in the forum with mastectomy without reconstruction may be a good place to ask around also they may have insight into some things that I don't know about since I'm doing reconstruction...praying you find all the info you need to make a good decision :)

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi You'll

I guess I amngoing tobe a new Texas girl. Ineed friends. restarting chemo wed with Dr Dicke at Arlington Cancer Center.

i think I will be in area 6months at least. will be renting apartment in area.

flew last week for scans and tumor markers forroutine followup. docs in Va wont do such things. and he found some early bone mets. i dont trust docs in Va with this.

i am native SC girl. looking forward to nice texas winter.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2013
    Options

Though I'm sorry for the reason Fran, welcome to Texas. Here's hoping for one of our beautiful winters with highs in the sixties in December and no ice storms. Be aware that if there is ice or snow here STAY OFF THE ROAD! It happens so rarely that folks don't know how to drive in it, don't have snow tires or chains, and we don't have road clearing equipment to deal with it.

Are you going to be renting in Arlington? Several of the girls here are in the West part of the Metroplex fairly close to there.

• fredntan
    edited October 2013
    Options

renting a room from lady at ACC for now in arlington.he told me yest i will prob be here for year until i can go home.. plan on retiring here so i can be near Dr Dicke.

i want to come to next get together. chemo starts on monday. my hubby and pup are with me. family will be switching out. this is jade she is four months lab/border collie

will get apartment soon. just not sure which part i want to be in. was hoping to find furnished twonbedroom. dont think those exist
  • melissadallas
    edited October 2013
    Options

Fran, what a cute puppy! I had Belgian Sheep Dogs and I miss big black dogs.

I grew up in a college town and it makes finding a rental a lot harder. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head furnished would be those long term business residential motels until you knew more where you want to be permanently.

I hope you breeze through your treatment Monday and that you get adjusted and feel at home here quickly. I haven't been to a get together yet. Since I'm just a high-risker I might feel a bit of a "poseur".

• keepthefaith
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi fran, welcome to Texas! Love the puppy! I have a Boxer.

1newhouse, I hope you have found information to make your decisions easier. I just finished surgery on Friday. LX, SNB, port placement. I am 58 post meno; I think HT is in my future also, but have other treatment ahead first. I have read about Armidex as an alternative to Tamoxifen. I am not sure of the parameters for that treatment, but seems the SE's are mainly bone related as opposed to so many that Tamoxifen has...might be worth checking into. 

I hope you all have a great week-end. Headed to Canyon Lake with family:).

(((HUGS)))

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited October 2013
    Options

Fran - Apology for being late in responding. Have had a busy few days here. I'm NW of Ft. Worth almost in Wise County (if you have a map). You might have more luck finding a rental now with the semester at UTA drawing to a close. I'll ask DD (who lives in Euless) what part of Arl. is better. I know she has an opinion about one part (not a good place) but not sure where that is - somewhere off 360 not far north of 20 I think. The staff at ACC prob. has some opinions of better areas to live. Would the staff social worker be of any help? I would think that part of Arl. along I-30 is apt. heaven. Oh yes, it is. I put the ACC address in Goggle Maps and had it search for apts. North of 30/West of 360 along E Lamar, N Collins are about 50 red squares. Wish I knew more about Arl. to help you. Glad you have DH and puppy.

We have not arranged a get together recently. About 4 gals met earlier in the year but unfortunately this thread has not been real active. Maybe this will be the kick start.

Wishing you all the best. You've arrived for the best weather of the year. I love fall here. I'm a retired RN - hospice. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Hey Melissa - You are most welcome at get together. High risk - PSHAW!. I have been admiring your quilting skills. I need to find the crochet snowflake ornament book and attempt some if I can get my claw fingers to unbend.

Keepthefaith - Oh a Boxer. I had one as a child. I surf thru the local boxer rescue occas. (don't tell DH). Though I live in the country the actual fenced backyard is teeny so not really enough room for one. Just right for my rat terrier.

• fredntan
    edited October 2013
    Options

well hi there luvmygoats. i remember you

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just found this thread. I'm in San Antonio. We've been here since 1986 - moved here from Germany with my Air Force pilot husband (now retired) and 3 kids (now grown.) None of my children are married so no babies. I was diagnosed July 18th and had surgery #1, BMX with immediate reconstruction (implants) on Aug. 23rd. Fourteen days later on Sept. 6th I was back in the hospital for surgery #2 due to infection and necrosis on one side. (Got infection in the hospital!) One implant was replaced with tissue expander. Had fill #5 today and plastic surgeon says I'm good to go for surgery #3, the exchange, in November.

I worked full time as an accountant until earlier this year when I had a moderate brain stem stroke. I've been a fitness professional for years and at the time of the stroke I was teaching 2 classes after work every day plus Saturdays. My husband and I taught ballroom dance as well. All that came to a sudden halt. I had to retire early but am thankful for Social Security, even though it is a reduced amount. Just as I was finishing rehab I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

We enjoy driving in the nearby Hill Country and stopping at little restaurants in out of the way towns. I may not be able to exercise anymore, but I can still eat!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2013
    Options

keepthefaith--I am an hour from you but I go into San Antonio for all my doctors.

Sandra who is your MO and PS. My PS is Dr. Ledoux with PRMA. Fran used Dr. Arishta with PRMA. Surgery was at Methodist and they were so good, I could not have asked for a better hospital stay. My MO is Dr. Zweibach in New Braunfels, he has been great. Sorry to hear about your stroke and early retirement.

• keepthefaith
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi Sherry, Sandra,

There is also a Hill Country Warriors thread. It's not real active, but we have had a little get together in the past in Round Rock. Check it out.

I will be starting my TC chemo regimen on Dec 3rd. Sherry, it looks like we have about the same DX. I did the onco test and scored an intermediate 21, so decided to do chemo. Also BRCA neg but w/family history. I am post menopausal, 58 yrs old.

I hope you all stay safe and warm this week-end!

((HUGS))

Terri

• fredntan
    edited November 2013
    Options

agree with Sherry Methodist hosp and Dr A treated me excellent. i am nurse. was treated horribly at Sloan Kettering for initial mastectomy. I go to methodist and was plesently surprised at excellent care and how nice everyone was. 

• Sherryc
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hey Terri my onco score was a 23 and I was pre menopausal. My MO gave me a choice of chemo or the Zometa protocol which he felt I was a good candidate for but the study was just about to be published and he was not sure my insurance would pay for it. Anyway the study was published with very good results. I decided to go the Zometa route instead of chemo and my insurance has not been a problem. I have two more treatments. One in December and one in June then I should be finished. He is having me do tamoxifen for 10 years. Feb will be three years for me. Who is your MO in Austin?

• keepthefaith
    edited November 2013
    Options

Sherry, My MO is Allison Goorebeeck with Austin Cancer Centers. I haven't heard of Zometa, but will do some research. I may PM you later.

Terri

• sandra4611
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm recovering from my third surgery in three months. I'm 13 days out and doing ok but not great. I've been very emotional this time and feel this was the toughest surgery due to pain and emotional instability.

• Sherryc
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sandra sorry you are having a rough time this go round.  May I ask who your surgeons have been.  I go to Dr. Ledoux with PRMA in San Antonio and he has been wonderful.  My BS was in New Braunfels and I was not happy with her.  Having a great Dr sure makes for a better time with surgery.  I don't know what you meant by emotional instability but I hope you really like your Doctors.  I think having surgery is always tough around the Holidays.  ((((HUGS))))

• sandra4611
    edited December 2013
    Options

My emotions have been up and down and I can't predict how I'll react these last few weeks. Sometimes I roll with the punches, sometimes I burst into tears. Never did this with the other two surgeries. That's what I mean about being emotionally unstable. Three surgeries in three months is just too much to handle.

I'm in San Antonio and get all my treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) on Ft. Sam Houston.

• Sherryc
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sandra yes three in three months is alot.  I had 5 in three years and thought that was too much. Try to get lot's of rest

• keepthefaith
    edited March 2014
    Options

It doesn't look like anyone has posted here for a while. Just wanted to let you know that the "Hill Country Warriors" thread ladies are planning  a get together on March 29th for late breakfast/brunch, in Round Rock off of 620. If you are close and can join us, please do! Check out the thread for details. I don't have an exact time yet.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited February 2016
    Options

I know this is a really old thread but wondered if anyone was still active on BCO and up for a meetup in North Texas area. Know some Dallas ladies are maybe discussing a meetup. Any takers? Hopefully this will show up on somebody's favorites or somebody sees it on Active Topics.

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2016
    Options

Adding this thread to my favorite topics list. Hope it becomes active again. I am in Dallas, but was born in Houston and have lived in Austin ;) So, have lived here all my life. Have traveled a bit, but not as much as I would like. Looking forward to finding other local BC sisters.