Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• lovewins
    lovewins Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

I am praying for you bestock, I am sorry your counts are up.  I am binding my prayers to everyone's as well as to yours.

• jlow51
    jlow51 Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2014

Joining with others here to pray for you, Bestock. 

• Deborahanne
    Deborahanne Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2014

Praying for you, Bestock!

Remember: "He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are
    unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that
    are unseen are eternal." Isaiah 40:29, 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited February 2014

Count me in with praying for you Bestock!

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited February 2014

me, too, Becky!  Where two or three are gathered......

May God surround you with peace and comfort - and give your doctors wisdom as far as how to proceed - soon!

(and thanks, all for the guidance about how I should proceed. It seems important to my folks to be here for my birthday and I'll just trust God that He'll work it all out!)

Bev

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited February 2014

Looks like a lot has gone on in only a few days time! 

Becky, you know my thoughts on those goofy tests but I will pray for peace of mind for you.  Mine were all over the place until they leveled out.  My doc. doesn't put too much stock in them either Winking

Bev, I have preached for years about we servants needing to let others minister to us so they can enjoy the blessing of giving.  We shouldn't hog the giving department!  I think you'll find true joy in letting your folks come and tend to one of their chicklets.

As an update, I survived my 12-hour day on Wednesday.  Your prayers were truly blessings to me that day.  I did get a little weepy in the doctor's office when she came in and surprised me with a hug when she said helllo!  Never had that happen before.  We're working on a plan to get the swelling down in my leg and I saw the PT this morning.  She did a great job on  my arm a few months ago and I'm looking forward to letting her go to town on my leg.  She said that I should see results fairly quickly - yeah!  I'll have scans in two weeks and that's another story.  Hoping they can find something to put me out so I can get through them without the excruciating pain I've had with them in the past.  But, also praying that the chemo is working.  So far, no mouth sores have returned but I think I have to wait a few more days to see about the SE's.

Love those verses Deborah!

Blessings and prayers are with you all.  Sue

• mankatostate
    mankatostate Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2014

Bestock-I too am praying for you!

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2014

Thanks to all for comments and prayers and scriptures 2 cor 4 (my favorite chapter since I had ovca in 2003)

Thanks Deborah, Amy, Salty Mankat, sue, jlow, and garden and lovewins. I so appreciate all the prayers.

CT scan Monday!!! It is nice to be "held"ThumbsUp

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2014

bestock, big hugs and prayers from me, too. I read something this week that helped me. Something like, "I don't have to be strong. Jesus IS my strength."

• bestock
    edited February 2014

Thanks JeannieSmile

• Carren-LB-at-2-0-clock
    Carren-LB-at-2-0-clock Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2014

Bestock - praying for you too. I had 2nd Chemo treatment yesterday. I am getting the hang of reading between the lines when the RN's talk to me. "you might feel some changes, so at the sign of any changes, ring the bell" ; I now know to mean - "this time will be different so hit that bell asap and we'll give you some Benedryl IV for the excruciating pain in your back and chest". All over and done within about 10 minutes. My sister is always saying to me "Don't be a hero, take the drugs". Very wise words. Other than that - after the benedryl I was quite happy and loopy and let my friend take me to her place afterwards and shave my head - what was left on it - off. Wonderful feeling, I love it and it was nice last night when the flushy came on, to whip off my hat and cool down, then put it back on and warm up - over and over again, the feel of a nice clean, cool pillow case. Tonight my husband finally had the courage to ask to see my head. Maybe he is coming out of denial - he said I looked like ? from the Borg - Sci Fi reference. I said I am becoming obsessed with bald men on TV and wondering how they get their heads so smooth and shiny. I think I scared him then. ha ha  God - keep me - us - in your humour, your Joy is our strength. May we always strive to be positive and rest in you.

• SpiritBlessing
    SpiritBlessing Member Posts: 552
    edited February 2014

hi Ladies,

Been a while since I have checked in. Been staying busy with treatment and shots and working from home.  Went back a couple of weeks to get caught up. You all are in my prayers nightly and seems my list gets larger every week I go for treatment. It's awesome the people God puts in our paths. I have always asked for him to use me and to allow opportunities and He is good and does. 

Bestock your in my prayers, I am not really sure what the term means when the numbers go up but I will assume it is a concern. Praying!

I have read there are some with mouth sores that continue to be an issue. I posted this info a while back regarding some lozenges, ask your MO about Clotrimazole troche lozenges. They are supposed to work really well. I am going to ask my MO about them when I see her on Monday.

Today my mouth started to feel tingly like when you burn it on hot food or drink and it has gotten a little tender through the evening. I don't have any sores but I have been rinsing with salt water. My nose is very sore from the Abraxane and so not sure if it is all related. I had treatment on Monday so I am surprised to feel this so late in the week. 

Still experiencing soreness in a couple of fingers and my thumbs so early signs of neuropathy I am told. I am just very careful with what I do and very diligent in what I do to avoid injury. 

Bev how are you doing these days from your last treatment?  

I actually went to a board to check out others who have TNBC and I have to admit I didn't care for it much. I much rather spend time with other women of faith. Thank you ladies for your ongoing support and encouragement. I would like to ask anyone with experience having Abraxane in treatment to share what you can with me. I am into it for 2 months and have 4 more to go. 

Be determined to face fear when it comes against you. Stand firm, trusting God and knowing He is always with you.

Blessings Abundant...Lucy

• Carren-LB-at-2-0-clock
    edited February 2014

Just listened to a song that you all might like. Hawk Nelson Faithful. Copy & paste that into goggle and listen to it on YouTube. Makes perfect sense of our situation ladies.

• milehighgirl
    edited February 2014

Welcome back Lucy.  Glad you're hanging in there but sorry about the SEs.  I've been reading that the finger tingling is an early sign of the neuropathy.  However they're saying that if you soak your fingers/toes in ice water it's supposed to offset any damage to the digits.  It's also suggested to do the soak during your infusion.  It's comparable to the ice caps people are wearing to prevent their hair from falling out.

As for the mouth sores, mine started out the same way.  I blossomed out with the sores but never got the thrush.  Keep rinsing with the saltwater/baking soda combo.  My doc. prescribed dexamethasone 0.5mg (steroid) which knocked the sores out almost right away when they got really bad.  She also prescribed lidocaine hydrochloride oral topical solution.  That knocks out the pain.  If you blossom out with the thrush, someone here suggeasted Triamcindone and clotrimazole troche lozenges.  My doc wouldn't prescribe those since I didn't have the thrush.  Hope some of these work for you and the stores don't get any worse.

Blessings to all.  Sue

PS:  I found a natural site that suggests using the spice Alum on the sores.  Haven't tried it yet but plan to if my sores come back.

• SpiritBlessing
    edited February 2014

Thanks MHG, so am I supposed to soak them like every day?  I have used the ice gloves during some if my infusions. They are horrible and the longest I could stand them was for 20 min. I will start doing it again. 

So the sores will be next? I used to chew ice during treatment too but the ice started to taste horrible. So I stopped doing it a few treatments back. What is thrush exactly?  

Thank you so much for your recommendations...Lucy. 

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited February 2014

SB, thrush is caused by a fungus...the same fungus that can cause a yeast infection. It makes your tongue look white; also feels dry. If you get it, your MO can prescribe something. Yogurt and probiotics are supposed to help prevent it. I've had thrush each TX even though I tried yogurt and probiotics; but so far, no mouth sores. I use the biotene mouth rinse twice/day.

carren, good for you on the hair!

Enjoy your week-end everyone!

• Carren-LB-at-2-0-clock
    edited February 2014

Just copied and pasted this to this forum for some help here too.

Hey all! Okay, so had my 2nd Chemo (Thursday 6th) - with major reaction to the Docetaxe/Taxotere with extreme lower back pain and then across the top of my chest and down the arms. Hit the button and go a bag of Benedryl IV. Ouch - that was right up there but not as bad as the nipple radiation needles before surgery; but just about. :) Now, I have the dreaded metal mouth which I first noticed yesterday (Saturday). Could it be from the Benedryl? I didn't have it from the last treatment? Is it salt water we use or soda/water - sorry haven't been paying attention to that on here. Stay warm today. Let me know.

• ADJ
    ADJ Member Posts: 203
    edited February 2014

Carren,

The baking soda neutralizes our acids, so it is the only important ingredient for our mouth swish and spit.  The docs say mix a cup of soda and half a cup of salt, then use maybe a quarter teaspoon in a small cup of any temperature water to swish.  It's ok if you like it stouter.  Enjoy!  For metal mouth, we can try plastic utensils, and any unusual foods for you.  For instance, while I found that neither a drink of water nor milk tasted good! I did suddenly enjoy lemon in my tea for the 1st time.  Save your favorite foods for when your tasters are working right.

Anita 

• milehighgirl
    edited February 2014

Lucy, I haven't had the thrush, just the sores thank heaven.  You may or may not get either.  KTF explained the thrush very well.  I'm guessing using the mouth rinses and the gloves/ice therapy is a daily thing.  I think they want you to err on the side of prevention.

Carren, I've not had those SE's.  Today had a major scare though.  One of the SE's of the drugs I'm on is constipation.  Finally had a successful BM this morning but ended up with a stool full of blood.  Haven't had any blood since but boy did it scare me wits out!  Sorry if that's too much info.  Anyone else had that happen?  I'm a little afraid to say something to the doctor.  Don't want yet another prescription!

Sue

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited February 2014

Sue, I think you irritated or scratched the lining of your bowel which is why it was bloody.  But a hemorrhoid can bleed when you are constipated so I'm guessing one or both of those contributed.  Of course mention it to your doctor but I think it's pretty common, especially in these situations.

• Carren-LB-at-2-0-clock
    edited February 2014

Sue, I also think the blood is worthy of a MD notation, even if it doesn't persist. I always have coffee - even when it tastes like metal - to use as a diuretic - gets the system working for BM. This is a SE from anything codeine related drugs; trust me on this one. Talked to another gal at Chemo the other day (actually an MD with bone marrow cancer) and she said she prescribes codeine T3's for people with diarrhea; so there ya go. All else fails, get an enema and self administer in bits and pieces.

I know, TMI, but this happened to me too - when on Codeine - almost 4 days into my VACATION - ouch, ouch, OUCH. Bawling

Anita, thanks for the mouth rinse mixture. Will go mix it up now and have on hand in the bathroom. I did enjoy a cup of ginger lemon tea this morning; which normally taste to 'flowery' to me. Milk is being nixed. Also, was told by this above gal mentioned to NOT have ANY Probiotic Yogurt - why, because it puts bacteria into our system - good or not - when our immune is low. Rats, I really like my Greek Yogurt! LOL

• milehighgirl
    edited February 2014

Carren I'm not on Codeine but am on Morphine for pain which is hugly constipating.  I also love my greek yogurt which I had for dinner tonight :( bummer.  I do drink gallons of water every day so go figure!

• SpiritBlessing
    edited February 2014

Carren - Scary reaction to your chemo.  I do sea salt and water and add a little baking soda, that is what I was told.  Interesting about the yogurt, I was told it was a good source of Calcium and Protein which I need both of and once a day was fine.  I do enjoy it as well and it is a great way to mix my glutamine which is horrible and I have to have that 3 times a day and yogurt, applesauce and juice is the best way to mix it and get it down.

ADJ - Can you share some of your experience with Abraxane.  I am on that now along with Avastin for my treatment.  And yes thanks for the rinse mixture.

MHG - Constipation is a weekly thing for the first 3 days after my chemo for me.  But its due to the Zofran.  If it doesn't continue happening not a huge concern I would think.  But I agree with Amy it is note worthy to share with your doc.  They do need to know these things we are going through.

Well last night after input from some of you I called the doc on call and he said my issue with the feeling on my tongue was more than likely the se of the chemo.  It didn't sound like thrush being as there is no cloudy coating on my tongue.  He did say to rinse every 2 hours with the salt mixture and then to talk to my MO tomorrow at our meeting.  He put a note in my file so they would see it.  He also stated that along with my bloody nose issue and my first signs of neuropathy on 2 fingers and a thumb on both hands and the fatigue I am feeling that they may consider lowering the dose for me. I am thinking it might be a good thing right now being as I have 4 more months to go on this plan.

I will listen closely to God's words.  I will not let them out of my sight.  I will keep them within my heart; for they are life to all who find them and health for the whole body.  Proverbs 4:20-22

Good night Ladies...Lucy

• FridayGirl
    FridayGirl Member Posts: 137
    edited February 2014

Becky,

I have been away from this thread for a while because of all sorts of problems (broken leg, broken window etc) and didn't realise you had been requesting prayer last week over your scan.  I am praying about you now and tonight.  Whatever the result of this scan, remember that The Lord is in control and He loves you.

Debbie

• milehighgirl
    edited February 2014

Thanks all for the insight.  It is so helpful!

Lucy, my doc cut back on the chemo and it made a huge difference.  It's pretty common to tinker with the doses so we'll pray this is what they'll do for you.  My first (and only) reduction so far has been great.  Mouth sores haven't returned and no real SE's to speak of.

I had my appointment with the PT today for the leg lymphedema and hurray, we found a way for me to wrap my leg by myself.  That will help tremendously in my wanting to take my daily shower.  Still nervous about seeing the doctor again on Wednesday but she did a 360 on my last week so hoping it will go well again.

Thanks again everyone for your wonderful advice.  Prayers for blessings and peace.

Sue

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2014

Just wanted to say hi to all, am new to this thread and happy to find it :)  Bestock, you are on my prayer list.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

• ADJ
    ADJ Member Posts: 203
    edited February 2014

hi Lucy, and everyone else.

Yes, I began abraxane Dec. 18th.  My MO said she chose that over Taxol because less neuropathy.  Other than that, I seem to have all and any side effects.  Not any huge problems.  Hair loss, weepy eyes , bloody nose, taste alterations, constipation then so much loose stool with nausea, or as my friend says, getting your garage cleaned out. I miss a lot of meals.  Nails discolored and becoming like talons. Lowered white count, needing neupogen shots, lowered hemoglobin, have had 2 blood transfusions.  Lowered platelets, so had to skip chemo that week. Our neutrophils must be greater than 1500 for us to get our infusion that week. Another time Shortness of breath got scary and the office sent me to the er, who did EKG, chest X-ray, ultrasound of swollen leg, and a ct.  All negative. My dose was lowered by 10% but I haven't noticed less side effects. 

Our first grandbaby was born Jan. 31st, and I believe The Lord is using her to build bridges in some damaged relationships in our family. A little child shall lead them!  I started planning a vacation for my hubby and me.  Gotta stop and smell the flowers, you know.

I am trying to remember to choose proteins when I am hungry, do careful mouth care and hygiene, not feel guilty about these long naps my body craves. This is not new to me, had chemo when my relapse was found in 2011.  May the rest of our years be the best of our years.

Anita

• bestock
    edited February 2014

my scans are not good, have not gotten to talk to my regular onc(he is gone) I am not happy waiting, I hope to get into a clinical trial ?? for BRCA Gene mutation..called to see if they contacted the clinical trial people yet.. I love the Lord and He is with me always.Keep praying.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited February 2014

bestock, I'm sorry your scans weren't good. I hope you can see your MO soon and you can get into the clinical trial. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way for the best healing possible.

((HUGS))

• bestock
    edited February 2014

Thanks,I know the Lord is in control.

Love

BES